Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GustavoLeao

Rumor About DISCOVERY Starship Mystery

13 posts in this topic

Rumor Suggests Answer to STAR TREK DISCOVERY Starship Mystery (Possible Spoilers)

I really dunno if this rumor is true. It would explain many things and Inverse is actually  a good site in reporting news and rumors, so beware of possible spoilers and a theory about DISCOVERY thats actually makes sense.

Gus

2 hours ago, GustavoLeao said:
Rumor Suggests Answer to STAR TREK DISCOVERY Starship Mystery (Possible Spoilers)

I really dunno if this rumor is true. It would explain many things and Inverse is actually  a good site in reporting news and rumors, so beware of possible spoilers and a theory about DISCOVERY thats actually makes sense.

Gus

I don't think this is what they're doing, but it's an interesting idea.   Kind of like the newly commissioned USS São Paulo being rechristened as the new Defiant in DS9. 

And I would hope that Michelle Yeoh is staying on past the pilot episode (or whenever one ship became the other).  I could see the Shenzou being destroyed outright, but not being rebuilt as the Discovery.   That seems less dramatic to me...

Then again, it depends on the execution.

It always made sense to me that there would be two ships. It seems like this show will operate with multiple settings. Unlike previous Trek series, the scenes will not shift form the bridge to the briefing room to the sick bay to the transporter room to the cave set and back to the bridge. The setting will jump across multiple ships, from Klingon planets to Vulcan to star bases to other alien worlds all in one episode. It will be very different in this way.

My question is the design of the ship. The ShuttlePod trio commented that the schematic on the last DSC trailer looked a bit too 24th Century to be in the same fleet with the Constitution Class. It was only a schematic and we don't know it is the Shenzhou. Does anyone have a screen cap of it?    

5 minutes ago, Justin Snead said:

It always made sense to me that there would be two ships. It seems like this show will operate with multiple settings. Unlike previous Trek series, the scenes will not shift form the bridge to the briefing room to the sick bay to the transporter room to the cave set and back to the bridge. The setting will jump across multiple ships, from Klingon planets to Vulcan to star bases to other alien worlds all in one episode. It will be very different in this way.

My question is the design of the ship. The ShuttlePod trio commented that the schematic on the last DSC trailer looked a bit too 24th Century to be in the same fleet with the Constitution Class. It was only a schematic and we don't know it is the Shenzhou. Does anyone have a screen cap of it?    

It definitely said it was the Discovery on it's saucer. And it wasn't the final design for this ship, that much has been made clear.

Posted (edited)

The original McQuarrie Enterprise in the 70s supposedly consisted of a saucer that could separate and land on planets--almost like another ship.  I know it's a longshot and I'm just wildly speculating, but maybe the Shenzou is part of the Discovery as a planetary "lander."  Maybe the ship has a "Stardrive Captain" and a "Lander Captain" or "Saucer Captain."  Two Captains for two different ships that can also become a single ship.  Can lead to some interesting conflict.  I am convinced that there will be something VERY unusual about the ship.  Saucer seperation was probably a new concept around this time.  Perhaps a saucer-seperating proto-type would have a unique command structure.

Edited by Locutus

Could it be one of those flashback stories? The Shenzou is destroyed in the first episode and the Discovery is sent out to find out what happened. Then through the first season there are flashbacks to the Shenzou so the audience can see step by step what happened to the ship. What the audience doesn't know is the fate of the crew of the Shenzou. There is an order to abandon ship but the results aren't shown until the final episode. 

Posted (edited)

Speculation is that this is the Shenzhou. This screen cap is from Trekcore's breakdown of the last DSC teaser trailer.  

You have to click on the link cause Im unable to post a picture. Click on the two images of the computer renderings: 

Screencaps

Edited by Justin Snead

The ship in the photos is a test shot to see how it will look on the display. The white grid ship is not a completed render. It does look futuristic with those pointed nacelles, although in TMP they had similar ones. The saucer looks to be from the ENT era. Hopefully time travel to the 24th century is not a thing.

On 3/30/2017 at 1:34 PM, Chimera82405 said:

The ship in the photos is a test shot to see how it will look on the display. The white grid ship is not a completed render. It does look futuristic with those pointed nacelles, although in TMP they had similar ones. The saucer looks to be from the ENT era. Hopefully time travel to the 24th century is not a thing.

The ship in the screen cap there is not the Discovery. Totally different design. It is pure speculation that it is the Schenzou. No one knows. But it cant be the Discvoery unless they have completely changed the design. 

On 3/19/2017 at 6:26 PM, Justin Snead said:

I am so hoping that this is the case. While I love the familiar format of the ship being mostly the "set" - it might be interesting to see multiple points of views.

Posted (edited)

On 4/2/2017 at 5:37 PM, Justin Snead said:

The ship in the screen cap there is not the Discovery. Totally different design. It is pure speculation that it is the Schenzou. No one knows. But it cant be the Discvoery unless they have completely changed the design. 

I didn't say it was the Discovery. Kerman did. It's just a ship, as far as we know, and there is no official render as it being called Discovery. The render the poster found might have been a fan design based on the display, but was not canon. I have found similar fan statements and pics. Trekyards even did a thing on it.

Edited by Chimera82405

14 hours ago, The Founder said:

I am so hoping that this is the case. While I love the familiar format of the ship being mostly the "set" - it might be interesting to see multiple points of views.

I'm pretty sure that's what we're going to see. Anything else would be really strange in a modern serialized series of the 2010s...

7 hours ago, Chimera82405 said:

I didn't say it was the Discovery. Kerman did. It's just a ship, as far as we know, and there is no official render as it being called Discovery. The render the poster found might have been a fan design based on the display, but was not canon. I have found similar fan statements and pics. Trekyards even did a thing on it.

I thought that the comment had shifted to the teaser in which we saw the McQuarrie design inspired Discovery. My mistake.