TLOZ Lover

Lawrence Montaigne has passed

8 posts in this topic

Saw the news on Twitter yesterday.  We remember him as Decius on "Balance of Terror" and as Stonn on "Amok Time".  So sad to lose another one from TOS days. :(  

balanceofterrorhd226.jpg

amoktimehd440.jpg

Met him some a couple of years back at a con. Seemed excited to be there and loved chatting with fans about pretty much any topic

So very sorry to hear

4 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

Met him some a couple of years back at a con. Seemed excited to be there and loved chatting with fans about pretty much any topic

So very sorry to hear

Kick myself for not saying hello to him when I saw him signing in Vegas and Burbank... 

13 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Kick myself for not saying hello to him when I saw him signing in Vegas and Burbank... 

There are so few left now. It's just...bizarre in a way. I can put in a blu and they're still there.

He looked really terrible in the ears!  We're very lucky that Desilu and Nimoy managed to come to an agreement, and we didn't get Montaigne as Spock starting in S2.:P

6 hours ago, Corylea said:

He looked really terrible in the ears!  We're very lucky that Desilu and Nimoy managed to come to an agreement, and we didn't get Montaigne as Spock starting in S2.:P

Well, in fairness, his rougher ears might've been due to the fact that he was a 'guest' Vulcan and not the 'star' Vulcan.   In those days, makeup time and allocation was kind of a priority thing.   They didn't have the sophistication or budgets to mass produce ears like they do today (I saw pointy ears at WonderCon this past weekend that were 5x better than what they used in TOS).

I liked his turn as Decius, the ruthless, ambitious young centurion in "Balance of Terror"; of course, in that one, he wore a helmet (as did all of the other Romulans). :giggle:

1 hour ago, Sehlat Vie said:

They didn't have the sophistication or budgets to mass produce ears like they do today

Yeah, they were something like $2000 a pair. There just wasn't enough budget to go around.

3 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

Yeah, they were something like $2000 a pair. There just wasn't enough budget to go around.

IIRC, didn't Montaigne reprise his role as Stonn in "Of Gods and Men"?  I think his (fan-made) ears in that production looked pretty good.   Again, the technology (and reduction in cost) has come a long way since then.

4 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

IIRC, didn't Montaigne reprise his role as Stonn in "Of Gods and Men"?  I think his (fan-made) ears in that production looked pretty good.   Again, the technology (and reduction in cost) has come a long way since then.

Hell, I know of people that do their own silicone molds for prosthetics at home. 

Anything like that was impossible 50 years ago.