Sign in to follow this  
Sherlock Holmes

My review of the new release of Ds9 dvds complete set.

So I finally managed to buy my favorite star trek series of all time. Took me years but it finally has become affordable. I bought mine for 89.95 at Walmart's website. 

Programming wise, Its exactly like the previous release. No continuous play, the exact same layout, redundant episode play screen. Very dated by now. 

Now about the packaging, and this is where things really begin to fail. Granted its not AS obnoxious as the orignal release, there's nothing that can match that really-thats the worst packaging I have ever seen on a DVD set.The complete set comes with 2 bulk, 3-season sets and the single Final season set. The final season packaging is great. I have no problems with it. Its the other 2 bulk sets that bother me. The discs are semi stacked, with one blocking the other, and the actual centerpieces that hole the discs in are 2 prong, and hard to release. Everytime i get a disc out, I am afraid that i am going to break the disc. It take a lot of pressure to release the disc, and it feels like you could break the disc on the other side, or not give enough pressure and break the disc you are taking out. And in both bulk sets the "Pages" of discs came completely unattached from the spine of the set. My feeling is, when i can find some double sided slim cases or maybe just some sleeves, I'll remove the "pages", and place those in the sets. I feel like they'd be safe that way.  

Also, one disc in the first season had that "cloudy" look on the disc, and i was afraid it wouldn't play (which usually happens when a disc comes from the manufacturer like that), but every episode played fine on that disc. I wasn't too worried, as I owned the first season from the first release set.

Overall, not bad, but could be much better. Anyone else have opinions of the new release?

I never could tolerate the original packaging. TNG's accordion style within the box was...onerous to me, but both TNG and DS9's were cheap and flimsy.

I found new season set covers online and bought corresponding cases from GenesisDTP and all is right with the world.

Edited by prometheus59650

I have the original release European set, which is pretty basic for the time - poor use of space within the packaging itself, but I don't think i ever feared breaking the discs. A couple of the discs no longer play - not sure whether this due to dirty discs (unlikley, I keep them well and treat them gently) or just age so I was pondering replacing the whole set. But I can also stream episodes, which has negated that immediate need - although I always prefer to have physical copies of favorite shows.

Gosh! What we actually need is a blu-ray release! DONTCHA THINK, CBS?

At this point, I'd just take upscaled versions. Or versions with the live action footage in HD and upscaled FX.

The way Star trek is treated, you'd think it wasn't one of the best-known SF franchises in the world.

10 minutes ago, Robin Bland said:

I have the original release European set, which is pretty basic for the time - poor use of space within the packaging itself, but I don't think i ever feared breaking the discs. A couple of the discs no longer play - not sure whether this due to dirty discs (unlikley, I keep them well and treat them gently) or just age so I was pondering replacing the whole set. But I can also stream episodes, which has negated that immediate need - although I always prefer to have physical copies of favorite shows.

Gosh! What we actually need is a blu-ray release! DONTCHA THINK, CBS?

At this point, I'd just take upscaled versions. Or versions with the live action footage in HD and upscaled FX.

The way Star trek is treated, you'd think it wasn't one of the best-known SF franchises in the world.

They have always liked milking it more than feeding it.

3 minutes ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

I meant the new releases are the ones i fear of breaking my discs with.

I understand. My suggestion is that you print out new labels, and buy new cases. I haven't had that disc-sticking problems since, which can potentially crack the disc.

No problem. Happens to me, too. :) And perhaps I should have added a bit for clarity.

This may be blasphemous to case-ophiles, but I own all of DS9 and I keep them in big wallets; the original cases were just too cumbersome.

And as of last month, I recently acquired S2 (that was the only season I hadn't yet bought), and it came via Amazon as one of the newer sets.  The discs themselves are just 1:1 ports of all of the old stuff, and I'm okay with it in this instance, since I was just filling a gap in my old collection.   

But yes, if I'd bought these as 'new'?  I'd be really disappointed; they're just the old sets.  No additional commentaries, no new interviews, no anniversary retrospectives, etc., nada.  

However, in this case, I was just pleased to finally complete my DS9 collection (don't ask me why I never got around to buying S2 before....a silly oversight on my part).

At least it isn't as bad as it was with the TNG DVDs back then when they actually had to offer a service to replace separate DVDs because the centerpieces literally cracked them if you took out the DVDs or put them back in and made them unplayable if you weren't extremely careful. What I did back then - and this might help here, too - was to use a file from my tool box and do some "fine-tuning" on the centerpieces to make them less likely to break anything. This requires quite a bit of precision though - if you take too much off the centerpiece will no longer hold the DVD. I managed, but a lot of other people had massive problems with this. I honestly don't know why they apparently STILL can't seem to get this problem fixed.

5 hours ago, Mr.Picard said:

At least it isn't as bad as it was with the TNG DVDs back then when they actually had to offer a service to replace separate DVDs because the centerpieces literally cracked them if you took out the DVDs or put them back in and made them unplayable if you weren't extremely careful. What I did back then - and this might help here, too - was to use a file from my tool box and do some "fine-tuning" on the centerpieces to make them less likely to break anything. This requires quite a bit of precision though - if you take too much off the centerpiece will no longer hold the DVD. I managed, but a lot of other people had massive problems with this. I honestly don't know why they apparently STILL can't seem to get this problem fixed.

^
This is one of the reasons I usually jettison overly cumbersome packaging; when I watch something I tend to get a little impatient with ornate 'layering' or uncooperative centerpieces.   Sounds like you've developed a nice hack for that centerpiece issue!  You MacGuyered it. :thumbup:

2 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

^
This is one of the reasons I usually jettison overly cumbersome packaging; when I watch something I tend to get a little impatient with ornate 'layering' or uncooperative centerpieces.   Sounds like you've developed a nice hack for that centerpiece issue!  You MacGuyered it. :thumbup:

Thanks! This is what I mean when I say I like fixing things. Haha. I can really only highly recommend this procedure, it guarantees the safety of your DVDs if you want to keep them in their original packaging.

I was just lucky though - due to the fact that I came into the fandom rather late I was fortunate enough to have some warning in advance, the first wave of first-day-buyers had passed and they were telling people about the TNG DVDs centerpiece issue, so I was prepared to a) be VERY careful when taking out the DVDs and b) take immediate action. For most folks the DVDs broke when they tried to put them back, not when they took them out.