Sign in to follow this  
GustavoLeao

VIACOM CEO on Star Trek Movie Franchise

9 minutes ago, GustavoLeao said:

Paramount looks to Disney model to recover after string of flops

Studio to make more family movies and rebrand TV channel after duds such as Ben-Hur and Star Trek Beyond

Gus

STB was a 'dud' only because they bungled the release schedule... they should be blaming themselves on that one, not the movie. 

As for Ben Hur remake?  It was a bad idea right out of the box... 

Read the Guardian article at the link - its really an interesting read.

Hope Paramount is in good hands now.

And the Paramount Network ? Whatta hell ???

Gus

kenman   
4 hours ago, GustavoLeao said:

Read the Guardian article at the link - its really an interesting read.

Hope Paramount is in good hands now.

And the Paramount Network ? Whatta hell ???

Gus

My understanding is that the Paramount Network is just a rebranding of Spike. 

What the Hell? A Dud, only reason Beyond was a dud is because how f'ed up the release dating was- oh and very very craptastic trailers. Here at my Library, we have 2 copies of Beyond, and we can't keep it on the shelf, it stays checked out.

Paramount Network....I thought they tried that....UPN...United Paramount Network.  It was that network that canceled Enterprise due to low ratings...and those low ratings were the highest ratings they had at the time for any show on the network.

kenman   
3 hours ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

What the Hell? A Dud, only reason Beyond was a dud is because how f'ed up the release dating was- oh and very very craptastic trailers. Here at my Library, we have 2 copies of Beyond, and we can't keep it on the shelf, it stays checked out.

Paramount Network....I thought they tried that....UPN...United Paramount Network.  It was that network that canceled Enterprise due to low ratings...and those low ratings were the highest ratings they had at the time for any show on the network.

UPN was a different animal entirely to what they are doing now. All they are doing now is rebranding an already operating Cable Channel, SpikeTV, and changing its gears (and Spike was already a rebranded TNN years ago).  UPN had to deal with affiliates, this new channel will already be included in every cable package that already has Spike. 

And Enterprise was cancelled to low ratings vs the high cost of production.  People forget that. Highest ratings on the lowest rated network mean little when you are still taking up a big chunk of money to produce. 

But yea...Beyond wasn't a dud creatively, and it may have underperformed their expectations, but it certainly didn't bomb like their other absolute crummy releases like Ben-Hur. 

Sign in to follow this