Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GustavoLeao

12 posts in this topic

James Cameron Delays AVATAR 2 Yet Again; No Longer Set For December 2018

Director James Cameron has been working excessively on Avatar 2 and the rest of the Avatar sequels, but now it has appeared that they aren't ready to be released anytime soon.

Well, at least this clear Zoe Saldana to appear in STAR TREK 4, if the next Trek movie is filmed next year.

1 hour ago, GustavoLeao said:

James Cameron Delays AVATAR 2 Yet Again; No Longer Set For December 2018

Director James Cameron has been working excessively on Avatar 2 and the rest of the Avatar sequels, but now it has appeared that they aren't ready to be released anytime soon.

Well, at least this clear Zoe Saldana to appear in STAR TREK 4, if the next Trek movie is filmed next year.

I am one of the few people I know of who still enjoys Avatar; I thought it was less valuable as an A-Z linear movie than as a moviegoing experience.  I wasn't as into the simplistic, "Dances With Wolves" plot machinations as I was the experience of losing myself in the immersive, 3D IMAX world of an alien planet (I saw the movie on a HUGE IMAX screen; it really helped sell it).  I thought the 3D motion capture performances were good (esp Zoe Saldana's very expressive face), and the ecology of Pandora was interesting and beautifully established.   It was a place worth fighting for.

Now that I got that out of the way?  I think a sequel, or series of sequels, is just a horrible idea.  The first movie's story was paper thin to begin with, and the novelty of 'losing oneself' in Pandora definitely didn't translate well to DVD/BR.   Without the immersive IMAX 3D, the movie looks a bit flat and video game-ish at home.  The 2009 visuals were groundbreaking 8 years ago, but look just a shade or two north of quaint today...

With the exception of The Terminator, James Cameron has (until now) wisely avoided sequels.  Unlike Lucas or even Ridley Scott, he seems to know the value of leaving the audience 'wanting more.'   Sadly, while I enjoyed Avatar in theatres, and even watch some of the scenes with fond reminiscence at home (the bioluminescent forest is still stunning), the novelty has definitely worn off.  Without the visuals and the immersive experience, we're left with a very tired retread of a story; boy meets native girl, boy falls in love, boy defends native girl's people from evil outsiders.  The End.  That's the entire story in a thumbnail. 

The only thing that could happen in the sequel is a retread of previous events; the evil corporation returns with more muscle.  More bad stuff happens.  Arguably, Cameron's own T2 was a 'retread' of the events of Terminator 1 (Skynet tries to kill John Conner; either through his mother or him), but the original Terminator was a low budget, almost Grindhouse level movie that greatly benefitted from the increase in scope and production value offered by its bigger, more epic sequel.  Avatar doesn't need that expansion; it was already a giant, mega-event IMAX 3D movie to begin with.  All its sequel could offer is more realistic character renditions and showing more of Pandora (which was already glimpsed when Jake rallies the other tribes in the first movie).  More of the same, but with "more molecules" (to quote "Idiocracy"; the most frighteningly prescient scifi comedy ever made).

I really wish Cameron would move on; he's far too talented a filmmaker to waste his time retreading this same territory.  It's been done.   End of rant.

By the time he finally gets his 8 sequels of that humdrum practically forgotten movie comes out no one will care at all. No way it will even come close to matching the original's success. I personally never even bought the experience as immersive, felt like it was a bit of a headache inducing (3-D just does that to me) simple plotted bore that looked too cartoony to feel real. 

6 minutes ago, kenman said:

By the time he finally gets his 8 sequels of that humdrum practically forgotten movie comes out no one will care at all. No way it will even come close to matching the original's success. 

^
That's another factor too; no one is really hungry for an Avatar sequel as they were for a Terminator sequel.   There's zero heat for it.    

1 minute ago, Sehlat Vie said:

^
That's another factor too; no one is really hungry for an Avatar sequel as they were for a Terminator sequel.   There's zero heat for it.    

And with so much excitment among the nerds and even the mainstream for Star Wars these days, I have feeling it would struggle to compete coming out around the same time.

5 minutes ago, kenman said:

And with so much excitment among the nerds and even the mainstream for Star Wars these days, I have feeling it would struggle to compete coming out around the same time.

Yeah, SW is definitely where the heat is these days; Avatar was more like a one-off phenomenon.   Sort of like Close Encounters of the Third Kind; I remember when that one came out (same year as SW77, in fact).  It was stunning, beautiful and majestic.   Seriously, CE3K was perhaps the closest thing I've had to a religious experience in a theatre (being an atheist, I'm not sure what a religious experience would genuinely feel like, but I imagine it'd be close to that humbling awe I felt with that movie).  But when it was over?  I was good with that.    It ended.   That's okay.  Not everything needs a sequel or a continuation of some sort.

And Avatar was nowhere near as memorable a filmgoing experience for me as CE3K was.  

Even in my own nerdy circle, I can't think of anyone who's ever said, "What we really need now is a sequel to Avatar..." :laugh:

Late to the party, but have to agree that I just don't see the need for many sprawling sequels that amount to creating an Avatar-verse.

It was a diverting enough one-off and Cameron may surprise me by making it relevant, but, for now, (shrug)

1 hour ago, prometheus59650 said:

Late to the party, but have to agree that I just don't see the need for many sprawling sequels that amount to creating an Avatar-verse.

It was a diverting enough one-off and Cameron may surprise me by making it relevant, but, for now, (shrug)

^
There is that factor, too; Cameron has always had an uncanny ability to make his naysayers eat their words with a nice side order of crow.

I remember all the gloom-and-doom predicted for "Titanic" and it walked off with then-record box office, a hit soundtrack (like it or not), and a Best Picture win.  Not too shabby for the movie that everyone (and I do mean everyone) was predicting failure for in the years before its release. 

I also remember a lot of grumbling about The Abyss as well; and while the movie didn't do as well at the box office as hoped?  It is an amazing movie.  In fact, the director's cut of the movie is (IMO) one of Cameron's all-time best movies, if not his absolute best (this praise goes for the DC only; that extra half-hour does a lot for the movie...).

So, yeah, he might surprise us yet but it's a bit like a chef preparing his best meal for an audience that is still full from Thanksgiving dinner...

The abyss is definitely my favorite film he made.  For my money he hasn't made a film as good since, or ones that I am truly interested in.

10 minutes ago, kenman said:

The abyss is definitely my favorite film he made.  For my money he hasn't made a film as good since, or ones that I am truly interested in.

Mine as well.  "The Abyss" just gets better each time I see it; and like "Blade Runner", it's one of a few films that greatly benefitted from a director's cut.  Much of what seemed to be plot holes in the original theatrical cut of The Abysss are rectified in the director's version.  Not just missing information, but also character moments are more fleshed out.   I just wish that movie got the love and respect it deserved (and the proper release length it needed) back in 1989, when I first saw it.

2 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

"Titanic" and it walked off with then-record box office, a hit soundtrack

I absolutely love the score.

I probably haven't heard "My Heart Will Go On" all the way through in a decade and I'm cool with that. :)

9 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

I absolutely love the score.

I probably haven't heard "My Heart Will Go On" all the way through in a decade and I'm cool with that. :)

Same.

The late James Horner's Titanic score is also a personal best, IMO.  The Celtic woodwinds and choral pieces are just beautiful.  Even the Rose theme without Celine Dion's vocals is gorgeous.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0