Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
StillKirok

Logan--WITH SPOILERS

11 posts in this topic

Now that the movie is out, might as well do a review of it.

I thought it was a good movie overall, though no surprise, I'm not a huge fan of the downer ending.  They seemed to jump through hoops to get there.

First, Charles' death was pretty meaningless.  You don't really want to see characters you have followed and cared about go out so poorly.  Here's a guy that spent his whole life helping others.  He had all this power and literally the ability to make people do what he wanted.  He could have taken over the world and would have been pretty hard to stop.

Instead, he chose to use his gifts to help others like him and bridge a gap between mutants and humanity.

So in the end, he lives so long that his brain kills everyone he cares about and he gets stabbed to death by a Wolverine clone?

That's kind of harsh.

And Logan, who obviously we the audience care about, gets adamantium poisoning, that affects his healing ability, and ages him, while putting him in a position to get killed?

Wolverine's death was very heroic.  I'm not going to deny that.  Though it was unconventional, a parent dying to protect his child is possibly the most noble way to go out.

But at the same time, when you're a writer deciding the fate of a character like that, is that the right fate?  Is it really that difficult to have a character ride off into the sunset, giving the audience a happy ending after 17 years?

The one good part is that because time travel is possible, it will always be possible to save Wolverine and change this timeline.  Plus, because the movie is about 12 years in the future, Jackman can play the role again in the unlikely event he changes his mind.  Or they can recast like they did others.

I wonder if we will see Laura again as well.  Move the story forward a few more years or have her travel in time as well.

And will Jackman ever be convinced to come back and do a Deadpool movie?  Deadpool 2 is going to be amazing.  You can just feel it.

Loved this movie something fierce.

The perfect swan song for both Xavier and Logan.    

The movie feels more grittier, George Miller-esque, Mad Max-road trip movie than X-Men special effects opus.   And that's its strength; it quietly redefines one's expectations of a superhero movie as it takes you along for the ride.

Sir Patrick Stewart has never been better as Xavier.  He was magnificent and stole the movie often.  

If they bring Logan or Xavier back, I would hope it's either with a reboot 10-12 years from now, or with actors from the First Class XM movies playing the roles (without Wolverine), because this was as perfect an ending as these versions of the characters as they could ever hope to get.   

I agree with Sehlat Vie that this movie was fantastic and everyone did an amazing job - especially Sir Patrick. The man is amazing at acting and I felt genuinely down and sad when we saw what the great Professor X became. It actually makes me wish the scripts of the Trek movies were better because he goes above and beyond with the right material.

I'm hoping this is the end for Stewart's Professor X and Jackman's Wolverine. I'm not saying that cause they're bad. Quite the opposite. They were amazing but this is a great end for them.

56 minutes ago, The Founder said:

I agree with Sehlat Vie that this movie was fantastic and everyone did an amazing job - especially Sir Patrick. The man is amazing at acting and I felt genuinely down and sad when we saw what the great Professor X became. It actually makes me wish the scripts of the Trek movies were better because he goes above and beyond with the right material.

I'm hoping this is the end for Stewart's Professor X and Jackman's Wolverine. I'm not saying that cause they're bad. Quite the opposite. They were amazing but this is a great end for them.

^
I agree with Founder; this movie is a perfect swan song for both characters, and it would feel like a major cheat if the actors went to the well again after this bravaura curtain call.

Posted (edited)

Life usually doesn't end "well," it just ends, and time is never kind. Xavier lived a good life and added a lot of good to the world, helping a lot of people. He had what he himself called one last, perfect night. Having him go out much AFTER that dulls the character's exit.

Most movies are fantasy to some degree, but they also reflect life.

And I submit that, if you ever thought that Logan was going to get a happy, unicorns and rainbows ending, you don't understand the character.

Edited by prometheus59650

9 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

Life usually doesn't end "well," it just ends, and time is never kind. Xavier lived a good life and added a lot of good to the world, helping a lot of people. He had what he himself called one last, perfect night. Having him go out much AFTER that dulls the character's exist.

Most movies are fantasy to some degree, but they also reflect life.

And I submit that, if you ever thought that Logan was going to get a happy, unicorns and rainbows ending, you don't understand the character.

^
This.

Logan's life has been one of fighting, anguish and hell raising.  He's not going to get peace of mind handed to him in a pretty box with a bow on top.

And yes, Xavier's 'last perfect night' with family was one final gift from the universe to him for all of his good.

Finally saw this. I hoped and suspected it was going to be good, and stayed away from all spoilers. Didn't expect to be blown away. What's so great about it is the way it subverts all the usual rules of cinematic superheroes, and puts a family relationship at the center - and the survival (or not) thereof.

At first, I thought there were some pacing issues, but then it becomes clear that director James Mangold is just taking his time to set things up properly. He does that with care and clarity, playing them out, progressing the drama logically, choosing grit and precision over great ostentatious CGI setpieces. He picks his moments, both with action and emotion and it it all works incredibly well. He investigates several scenarios during the running time of the movie and he never lets his characters off the hook. After the last X-Men pic, this wasn't what I was expecting at all. In fact, I got far more than I hoped for. It's downbeat as hell, but Wolverine goes out the way he should, and it's both heroic and genuinely moving. (I can't be worried about his demise - he'll be resurrected. He's too valuable a character not to be. What matters here is how this incarnation of the character is dealt with, in this story, and I think it's perfect. Jackman goes out with honors.)

Jackman and Stewart are as fine a double-act as you'd expect. Stephen Merchant - of all people! - is a tortured, appealing Caliban. Richard E Grant has that smug, self-assured, self-justifying villainy down to a T. But that kid playing X-23, Dafne Keen, turns in the most extraordinary performance I've seen from a child in decades. She's up there with Jodie Foster. I don't think that's a stretch. It was an amazingly layered character, who just kept on surprising me throughout the film. She not only held her own with Hugh Jackman and Patrick Stewart - Patrick Stewart! - she actually stole the limelight from them. Plaudits to Keen, her fellow cast members and Mangold for making this central relationship work so well.

Best film in the cinematic superhero genre? Very different from 1978's Superman (which has always easily seen off so many pretenders to the throne in my personal pantheon), but I'd say this one cleaved to the spirit of the character in a similar way as that film did.

Astonishingly good. Certainly an instant classic.

Edited by Robin Bland

It was Just. Beautifully. Done.

Thinking of seeing it again next week.

1 hour ago, prometheus59650 said:

It was Just. Beautifully. Done.

Thinking of seeing it again next week.

55 minutes ago, Robin Bland said:

Yep. Me too.

That doesn't happen too often.

Me three.

It's been in my head since I saw it.   This weekend I was going to try to see "Get Out", but I want to see "Logan" once more before it leaves theatres. 

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0