Sign in to follow this  
GustavoLeao

SUICIDE SQUAD Wins Oscar, Beats STAR TREK BEYOND

SUICIDE SQUAD Wins Academy Award For Best Makeup & Hairstyling, Beats STAR TREK BEYOND

While Zack Snyder's Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice cleaned up at last night's Razzie Awards, DC's other 2016 offering, David Ayer's Suicide Squad, is now an Oscar-winner.

Edited by GustavoLeao

After the Best Picture screwup (that was EPIC, by the way...) I really think someone needs to double check that envelope for Best Makeup.   :giggle:

It's bad enough living in a world where a reality TV star is president, but do I have to live in a world where Suicide Squad is an OSCAR WINNER, too?!?

STB wuz robbed!

kenman   

Beyond seems more creative than Suicide Squad.  But Oscars are almost often silly, and the technical awards seem like something people half think about when voting....which is funny, because the technical awards are the only thing I think should even have an awards ceremony.  Awarding acting and movies on the whole always seems weird to me.  How can you compare all these vastly different types of movies and select one as "the best."  But I can see looking at visual effects, or listening to a sound mix and saying "now those technicians did a phenomenal job." Just weird ceremonies. 

Beyond seems more creative than Suicide Squad.  But Oscars are almost often silly, and the technical awards seem like something people half think about when voting....which is funny, because the technical awards are the only thing I think should even have an awards ceremony.  Awarding acting and movies on the whole always seems weird to me.  How can you compare all these vastly different types of movies and select one as "the best."  But I can see looking at visual effects, or listening to a sound mix and saying "now those technicians did a phenomenal job." Just weird ceremonies. 

Having attended the IMATS panel on STB, I feel a bit 'closer' to the painstaking and meticulous work done for that movie than I do for the generally lackluster Suicide Squad.  The makeup in SS appears to be nothing too different from what I see thousands of cosplayers do at conventions ever year; in fact, some of the cosplayers look more polished than the stuff you see in the clips of SS... and the cosplayers are in non-flattering lighting as well.  

kenman   

Having attended the IMATS panel on STB, I feel a bit 'closer' to the painstaking and meticulous work done for that movie than I do for the generally lackluster Suicide Squad.  The makeup in SS appears to be nothing too different from what I see thousands of cosplayers do at conventions ever year; in fact, some of the cosplayers look more polished than the stuff you see in the clips of SS... and the cosplayers are in non-flattering lighting as well.  

The thing about the Oscars, and I know people don't want to believe it maybe, but it is mostly bought up.  It's all about money. The only reason they have like 30 Best Picture nominees is because just being nominated sold a few more DVD boxes, so we can all make more money if we just nominate a few more that have no shot!  It is why a pretty inventive little movie like Kubo and the Two Strings will ultimately lose to something by Disney which was average (sorry Zootopia!).  Disney probably helped lobby to even make the animated category, so they get it most years, and every now and then they throw it to some other company to throw em off the scent.  

I just find the Oscars mostly worthless.  They do tend to highlight a bunch of movies that were good, so they have sometimes given me a list of "oh I should see these." But there are plenty of nominees I've not seen, there are plenty of great films that have been wrongly overlooked. Citizen Kane really is one of the finest cinematic achievements of all time in my opinion...it now has the same amount of Oscars as Suicide Squad. 

The thing about the Oscars, and I know people don't want to believe it maybe, but it is mostly bought up.  It's all about money. The only reason they have like 30 Best Picture nominees is because just being nominated sold a few more DVD boxes, so we can all make more money if we just nominate a few more that have no shot!  It is why a pretty inventive little movie like Kubo and the Two Strings will ultimately lose to something by Disney which was average (sorry Zootopia!).  Disney probably helped lobby to even make the animated category, so they get it most years, and every now and then they throw it to some other company to throw em off the scent.  

I just find the Oscars mostly worthless.  They do tend to highlight a bunch of movies that were good, so they have sometimes given me a list of "oh I should see these." But there are plenty of nominees I've not seen, there are plenty of great films that have been wrongly overlooked. Citizen Kane really is one of the finest cinematic achievements of all time in my opinion...it now has the same amount of Oscars as Suicide Squad. 

The words "Suicide Squad" and "Oscar" don't even belong in the same sentence.

And yes, you're right; the Oscars are largely a popularity contest than any real measure of merit.   Art (even pop art) is inherently subjective.  Peer recognition is a nice thing, which is why I think the nominations alone are a decent gauge of overall quality; but to say one winner above five-to-nine nominees is just 'better' than all the rest is largely just opinion as far as I'm concerned.  200 votes are no more 'right' than a passionate few.   As we've said before, when it comes to art and personal taste?  There is no such thing as 'objectively good.' 

17021389_436349363375619_438579552051364

^
That picture tells the whole story.

And yes, I've seen a thousand Harley Quinns at conventions, each doing the identical makeup (if not better).   That STB makeup is a living work of art (the character's unofficial name was "Natalia" according the the STB makeup panel I attended last month). 

A disgrace.

Sign in to follow this