Sign in to follow this  
GustavoLeao

Rumor : DISCOVERY Coming in September 2017 ???

Recommended Posts

Sim   
16 minutes ago, GustavoLeao said:

I dunno. Now that the board is back I missed posting this kind of stuff. just for fun LOL

Maybe be true,  meybe not true.

Probably not

Gus

:laugh: I missed you, Gus!

Well my guess is, it probably contains a true core, but we won't know before September  (or so) how bad or good it really is.

If the problem really just is a modern design? D'oh. That's not a surprise. Of course they won't make a show in 2017 that looks like TOS.

Edited by Sim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sim   

Gus, you infected me with your negativity. I suddenly believe DSC will be utter crap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sim said:

Gus, you infected me with your negativity. I suddenly believe DSC will be utter crap.

* begins exorcism...*

The power of Trek COMPELS you!

The power of Trek COMPELS you!

The power of Trek COMPELS you!  :laugh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's the problem with rumors... they have the ring of truth but may well be "alternative facts." 

We won't know until we know but it is worrisome to hear rumors like that.

I really hope none of that video is true... the way it's presented, it sounds like a fundamental misunderstanding at top management level of what Star Trek is and how it works best. On the other hand, TNG didn't exactly begin as a bed of roses, and look how that turned out.

We won't know until we know...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally managed to sit down and watch the video (this totally reflects my level of interest in this new series, haha). I've been reporting news about a famous actor for almost a decade now, and if there's one thing I've learned about showbusiness/Hollywood/TV series it's that "rumors that leak" often DO have a true basis. I'm not saying every single production mess rumor here is true, but I DO believe that the underlying message is true: Something's not going right, and a lot of people aren't happy about it. What exactly that IS remains to be seen, but let's face it: Fuller left, the show gets delayed over and over again, and the promotion/information level in general is almost zero (there are still people today who are like 'wait there's a new Star Trek series coming? I didn't know'). None of these facts indicate that things are going well, they indicate the opposite.

TNG had a messy start as well, that much is true, but there was Roddenberry, who furiously fought for the show and the ideals it was supposed to represent (not always to the show's benefit, starting with his refusal to cast a certain bald actor as the captain despite Justman's insistence). Discovery doesn't have this kind of person on board anymore ever since Fuller left. They're free to do with Trek as they please, and if they do what the video says they intend to do, the whole thing is indeed going to fall into tiny little pieces because the fandom is NOT going to tolerate this kind of thing.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/7/2017 at 6:42 AM, GustavoLeao said:

Well if even a third of this is true. The new series could spell the final death knell of Star Trek.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Km5qVwZvjm8

This video's credibility took a ding in the first 30 seconds with, "If they really had confidence in it, it'd be on the network."

 

For so many reasons, no. 

 

The rest of this is...new modern visuals, etc. I kind of don't care. If it were good then it's good. The fact is that it's going to fragment the audience anyway because that's what every show does. 

Edited by prometheus59650

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kenman   

The final death knell for Star Trek...a bit hyperbolic Gus? Can someone name a franchise these days that doesn't continue to survive? They will just start again. Everything gets revived over and over again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, kenman said:

The final death knell for Star Trek...a bit hyperbolic Gus? Can someone name a franchise these days that doesn't continue to survive? They will just start again. Everything gets revived over and over again. 

Yeah, when there's money to be made, yeah. Hell, if the current incarnation dies on the vine, they're likely just to kill the CBSAA idea and play licensee while Netflix produces. The latter has a good track record.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kenman said:

The final death knell for Star Trek...a bit hyperbolic Gus? Can someone name a franchise these days that doesn't continue to survive? They will just start again. Everything gets revived over and over again. 

I am bipolar. LOL

Just kidding, guys, just kidding. I will give DISCOVERY a BIG chance because its on Netflix here, as I  said before. But if its crap, there always the MARVEL shows like IRON FIST or THE DEFENDERS, right ?

Gus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GustavoLeao said:

I am bipolar. LOL

Just kidding, guys, just kidding. I will give DISCOVERY a BIG chance because its on Netflix here, as I  said before. But if its crap, there always the MARVEL shows like IRON FIST or THE DEFENDERS, right ?

Gus

...which is a bit like comparing apples and oranges. What I think you're saying is that we're all free to watch something else if we want to, right? Which is exactly what we do anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Exactly. Its obvious. I will give  a chance to DISCOVERY and if its good I will watch the entire "season" on Netflix. If the pilot feels all wrong, out of continuity and focused too much on the young Lt., I am sure there are tons of other series (for example i mentioned MARVEL Studios) to watch.

I am tired of reboots and prequels. To revisit the THE CAGE era is not inventive. What happened to the Enterprise-E crew years after NEMESIS or what happened when Romulus was destroyed in the 24th Century ? It would be interesting. But I am (again) tired of current Trek reboots and prequels and thats exactly what JJ TREK and DISCOVERY are about. But I went and watched BEYOND, because at least I am giving them  a chance.

Gus

Edited by GustavoLeao

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GustavoLeao said:

Exactly. Its obvious. I will give  a chance to DISCOVERY and if its good I will watch the entire "season" on Netflix. If the pilot feels all wrong, out of continuity and focused too much on the young Lt., I am sure there are tons of other series (for example i mentioned MARVEL Studios) to watch.

I am tired of reboots and prequels. To revisit the THE CAGE era is not inventive. What happened to the Enterprise-E crew years after NEMESIS or what happened when Romulus was destroyed in the 24th Century ? It would be interesting. But I am (again) tired of current Trek reboots and prequels and thats exactly what JJ TREK and DISCOVERY are about. But I went and watched BEYOND, because at least I am giving them  a chance.

Gus

If I'm entirely honest, I would've much preferred a show set post-Nemesis too. I think prequels can work, but they're essentially limiting and framing a new Trek show that way was a mistake. 

But I'm prepared to give it a chance. I sat through S1 of TNG and was well rewarded as that show grew into its strengths. It's a different TV landscape now, but Trek's still special, so I hope these blips are just that... only blips. 

Glass half-full, and all that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Robin Bland said:

If I'm entirely honest, I would've much preferred a show set post-Nemesis too. I think prequels can work, but they're essentially limiting and framing a new Trek show that way was a mistake. 

But I'm prepared to give it a chance. I sat through S1 of TNG and was well rewarded as that show grew into its strengths. It's a different TV landscape now, but Trek's still special, so I hope these blips are just that... only blips. 

Glass half-full, and all that. 

^
This.

I would've preferred something beyond a prequel too, but you know, even ENT had its share of ST geek out moments, so I'm more than wiling to give DSC at least the same chance I gave to ENT.  And hey... it's NEW STAR TREK.   Come on... this is a ST site, and we're getting new ST.   There's not too much downside to that, IMO.

I'm trying to see the glass as half-full as well.   I'm saddened to see so many naysayers strangling this show in the crib...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

^
This.

I would've preferred something beyond a prequel too, but you know, even ENT had its share of ST geek out moments, so I'm more than wiling to give DSC at least the same chance I gave to ENT.  And hey... it's NEW STAR TREK.   Come on... this is a ST site, and we're getting new ST.   There's not too much downside to that, IMO.

I'm trying to see the glass as half-full as well.   I'm saddened to see so many naysayers strangling this show in the crib...

Just because it says Star Trek on the cover doesn't mean Star Trek will be inside. The ones who are wary of the show already have been pretty much disillusioned by Enterprise, Nemesis, Nu!Trek. They're tired of not getting the Star Trek they want - which is where a lot of all this frustration is coming from. It's not just Discovery - it's this long stream of disappointments that has made these folks bitter and angry (and I understand their feelings, at least up to a certain point, what I don't get is why they even still bother with Trek and let themselves be disappointed over and over again if they feel it no longer does what they think it should but then this is why I'm not a real Trekkie I guess).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Mr.Picard said:

Just because it says Star Trek on the cover doesn't mean Star Trek will be inside. The ones who are wary of the show already have been pretty much disillusioned by Enterprise, Nemesis, Nu!Trek. They're tired of not getting the Star Trek they want - which is where a lot of all this frustration is coming from. It's not just Discovery - it's this long stream of disappointments that has made these folks bitter and angry (and I understand their feelings, at least up to a certain point, what I don't get is why they even still bother with Trek and let themselves be disappointed over and over again if they feel it no longer does what they think it should but then this is why I'm not a real Trekkie I guess).

^
Well, I think you're as 'real' a Trekkie as anyone else; just because one is a fan of one aspect of ST doesn't make them less of a fan.  But... to your credit?  You've also watched TOS, you've given DS9 a try and you've even watched ENT.   You didn't enjoy them as much as you enjoyed TNG (can't imagine why...:P :giggle: ), but at least you gave some of the other shows an honest chance.  I totally respect that.   

But what distresses me are those who are dismissing the new show before they've even seen a minute of footage.  Now, I know they've been disappointed by other STs, but where's that ST optimism, right? ;)  Even ENT had its moments (and it had Travis... hehe).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

^
Well, I think you're as 'real' a Trekkie as anyone else; just because one is a fan of one aspect of ST doesn't make them less of a fan.  But... to your credit?  You've also watched TOS, you've given DS9 a try and you've even watched ENT.   You didn't enjoy them as much as you enjoyed TNG (can't imagine why...:P :giggle: ), but at least you gave some of the other shows an honest chance.  I totally respect that.   

But what distresses me are those who are dismissing the new show before they've even seen a minute of footage.  Now, I know they've been disappointed by other STs, but where's that ST optimism, right? ;)  Even ENT had its moments (and it had Travis... hehe).

I think for me it has more to do with the fact that I'm not into science fiction for the most part and that I have no interest whatsoever in space or astronomy. That's what makes it difficult for me to come up with interest for shows set in space in the first place, I need a REALLY GOOD reason, and Jean-Luc is that reason for me when it comes to TNG indeed. And I didn't grow up with Star Trek. I never sat there as a kid marveling at the TV being all fascinated by strange new worlds and starships, I didn't care for that at all, Inhad no idea Star Trek even existed. I lack these "Trekkie basics", and I lack the 90s Trek nostalgia, and that's why I find it easy to completely ignore the series and movies of Trek that I don't like or care about and that's also why Discovery doesn't move me in the slightest for now, it still might, never say never, but none of what I've seen and heard so far has made me interested in any way, which means I just won't watch for now and that's it. BUT I also see no reason to run and scream the show will fail. I just don't think the premise of the show is a good idea and it's obvious there are also behind the scenes problems, and that can be a bad sign. But I don't see why it's necessary to spread hate. Just let it pass by - if you don't like what you see, don't watch. Trekkies can't seem to do that though - they have his immense need to consume anything that says Star Trek DESPITE disliking it. Why bother? I'd love to write a scientific essay on this at some point, it's almost some kind of masochism, they know they'll dislike what they see and yet they watch it, often repeatedly, just to hate on it. Other fandoms have this as well, of course, but not in this extreme way. 

I think the optimism got thrown out of the window a long time ago. The folks from the Nope Corner would tell you "this and that series -often DS9- was the last Star Trek series, everything that came afterwards was nothing but crap". ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Indeed DEEP SPACE NINE  and FIRST CONTACT were the last Trek I really enjoyed.

I think DISCOVERY will be terrible, judging by the footage released, LACKS OF CONTINUITY (people using uniforms with the Delta insignia when only the Enterpirse used that at the time of TOS) and the actors choose (with the exception of Michelle Yeoh).

Yep, I am a nay-sayer, but just because I am tired of STAR TREK. I just tired.

Gus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, GustavoLeao said:

Indeed DEEP SPACE NINE  and FIRST CONTACT were the last Trek I really enjoyed.

I think DISCOVERY will be terrible, judging by the footage released, LACKS OF CONTINUITY (people using uniforms with the Delta insignia when only the Enterpirse used that at the time of TOS) and the actors choose (with the exception of Michelle Yeoh).

Yep, I am a nay-sayer, but just because I am tired of STAR TREK. I just tired.

Gus

"This is the Nope Center, how may I not direct your call?"  :giggle:   (Sorry Mr. Picard... I had to use that).

For the record, a couple things:

Lack of continuity: that's a deal breaker, really?  ST has tripped over its own continuity feet many times.   Even First Contact showed a post-atomic Earth when Kirk said repeatedly in TOS that Earth managed to AVOID nuclear war ("Return to Tomorrow" "Omega Glory").  Just saying...

Different uniforms: Maybe the uniforms in "The Cage" were experimental or B-uniforms, and these were the 'real' uniforms of Starfleet all along. Just playing Devil's advocate in showing how trivial those kinds of things are, and how easily they can be explained away...

The actors chosen:  I can tell you right now that two of the actors chosen (besides Michelle Yeoh) are terrific.   Doug Jones is a latter day 'man of a thousand faces'; he usually works under heavy makeup and isn't noticed, but he was Abe Sapien in the Hellboy franchise, he was the 'hand-eye' demon in Pan's Labyrinth (he learned fluent Spanish for the role!) and he's been in countless other productions, including "Hocus Pocus" and "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" (he was the lead villain in "Hush").   The other is Sonequa Martin-Green; one of the few reasons I almost regret giving up on "The Walking Dead"; an amazing actress.  I also saw her taping "The Wil Wheaton Project" a few years ago where she did a humorous sendup of a TV commercial and she has humor chops as well.   IMO, Star Trek is lucky to have BOTH of them.   

I'm not arguing to change one's opinion; I'm just asking that we ST fans try to keep an open mind... Risk!  Risk is our business. :laugh:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually said Nope Corner, but Nope Center works as well. :laugh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, GustavoLeao said:

Indeed DEEP SPACE NINE  and FIRST CONTACT were the last Trek I really enjoyed.

I think DISCOVERY will be terrible, judging by the footage released, LACKS OF CONTINUITY (people using uniforms with the Delta insignia when only the Enterpirse used that at the time of TOS) and the actors choose (with the exception of Michelle Yeoh).

Yep, I am a nay-sayer, but just because I am tired of STAR TREK. I just tired.

Gus

And I thought I was jaded! :P

Maybe we really should start a "Nope Center" thread where people can moan freely, endlessly, to their heart's content... :giggle:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Mr.Picard said:

I actually said Nope Corner, but Nope Center works as well. :laugh:

Like the Borg, I adapt... :P :giggle:

9 minutes ago, Robin Bland said:

And I thought I was jaded! :P

Maybe we really should start a "Nope Center" thread where people can moan freely, endlessly, to their heart's content... :giggle:

Nope, nope, nope... can't be done.  :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kenman   

I think it is so ridiculous that people are so quick to dismiss this new show for some superficial reasons...possible behind the scenes troubles? Even in the much heralded third season of TNG, things were still tense behind the scenes. The costumes or makeup might be different? That is just part of Trek's constant evolution. I would've preferred to go further into the future too, but good stories can take plce anytime. 

I think going into it with a closed mind determined to hate it, you will usually come out with only onw viewpoint. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sim   
43 minutes ago, kenman said:

I think it is so ridiculous that people are so quick to dismiss this new show for some superficial reasons...possible behind the scenes troubles? Even in the much heralded third season of TNG, things were still tense behind the scenes. The costumes or makeup might be different? That is just part of Trek's constant evolution. I would've preferred to go further into the future too, but good stories can take plce anytime. 

I think going into it with a closed mind determined to hate it, you will usually come out with only onw viewpoint.

^ This.

Even if the rumors about the alleged behind-the-scene troubles are generally true, that doesn't mean the end product will necessarily be bad. Even if the rumors in that video are true, as mere facts, it could still have been just a matter of merely stylistic issues -- visuals, costumes, sets --, in which case I wouldn't be too worried.

And even if it goes beyond that, and the show does have a bad start ... as others pointed out, that's more often been the case for past Trek shows, than not (TNG in particular had a very rocky start, some would even argue it took 3 seasons before it became really great, and DS9's first one or two seasons, and ENT's first two or three seasons weren't brilliant either) --, so even if the show does have a bad start, that doesn't mean it can't find its balance in the 2nd or 3rd season (and thanks to streaming, it's not under such a bad risk of cancellation, than it would be as a network show).

Edited by Sim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this