Sign in to follow this  
GustavoLeao

Rumor : DISCOVERY Coming in September 2017 ???

Certainly lends it a bit more credence.

But I'm pretty sick of all the behind the scenes drama. I'm sick of waiting for it for them to put it off a few more times. 

It's not like whether or not I watch it is gonna make it or break it anyway; it's already guaranteed a second season. 

And if it withers because of Fuller's and CBSAA's dithering...lesson learned.

Not to be facetious, but it'll take as long as it takes.  I'd love to see it sooner, but another part of me would also prefer they don't rush it into production, as both VGR and ENT were.  Yes, like Prometheus, I'm a little tired of the behind-the-scenes drama, but my final judgment will be in the final product, not the rumors.

Sim   

Not to be facetious, but it'll take as long as it takes.  I'd love to see it sooner, but another part of me would also prefer they don't rush it into production, as both VGR and ENT were.  Yes, like Prometheus, I'm a little tired of the behind-the-scenes drama, but my final judgment will be in the final product, not the rumors.

^ This.

And then, I can't imagine it will take much longer than until September:

After all, they've started filming already. And once this is on the way? I can't imagine post-production is a huge factor in the delay... guess the problem was rather with the writing and casting...

Edited by Sim

Again; it takes as long as it takes.  

Yes, I'd like it sooner, but this is the first new TV (Internet) ST in 12 years.  We can wait a few more months...

Sim   

Yes, I'd like it sooner, but this is the first new TV (Internet) ST in 12 years.  We can wait a few more months...

Well, "late summer, early fall", which I guess means September, is better than the middle of the summer anyway, IMO.

Not sure if I'll be in the city during summer holidays, or too busy with family trips and stuff. And when it's too hot and days are very long is not the best time for watching tv.

Well, "late summer, early fall", which I guess means September, is better than the middle of the summer anyway, IMO.

Not sure if I'll be in the city during summer holidays, or too busy with family trips and stuff. And when it's too hot and days are very long is not the best time for watching tv.

That's the beauty of streaming though; you don't even have to be near a TV.  If it's on German Netflix or Amazon, you can catch it on your phone or other mobile device. 

When I first gulped down Breakingn Bad a few years ago, I would watch it on my iPad when I was exercising.  Got through all the seasons (till I was caught up with the broadcasts) in about 2 weeks.

So even if you're away, you won't miss anything.  Hell, I wish all TV shows were like that (with the DVR, they pretty much are now).  I think the days of appointment TV are going the way of the Dodo bird, and I can't say I'll miss them too much...

Sim   

That's the beauty of streaming though; you don't even have to be near a TV.  If it's on German Netflix or Amazon, you can catch it on your phone or other mobile device. 

When I first gulped down Breakingn Bad a few years ago, I would watch it on my iPad when I was exercising.  Got through all the seasons (till I was caught up with the broadcasts) in about 2 weeks.

So even if you're away, you won't miss anything.  Hell, I wish all TV shows were like that (with the DVR, they pretty much are now).  I think the days of appointment TV are going the way of the Dodo bird, and I can't say I'll miss them too much...

Well that's perhaps just me, but watching a show I'm really fond of for the first time on a mobile device would totally destroy the experience for me. It's like listening to heavily compressed files of a symphony on low quality $5 headphones, when you have a high end receiver at hand -- it would be better to not listen to it at all. I didn't buy my HD tv set only to watch my favorite stuff in the lowest quality possible on a crappy tiny display. I reserve that for stuff that doesn't suffer by low quality, such as news, political debates or shows I've seen many times before.

So for the big event DSC will be for me? The HD tv is a must. But yeah, thanks to streaming, I'm not tied to a certain airtime.

However, I don't think I could wait for too long, once I know it's available -- my curiosity would kill me. ;)

The by far best experience for watching tv in my flat, is when it's not too sunny outside. Otherwise, there is some reflection on the tv screen. The earlier the sun sets? The more time for tv in the evening ... :laugh:

Well that's perhaps just me, but watching a show I'm really fond of for the first time on a mobile device would totally destroy the experience for me. It's like listening to heavily compressed files of a symphony on low quality $5 headphones, when you have a high end receiver at hand -- it would be better to not listen to it at all. I didn't buy my HD tv set only to watch my favorite stuff in the lowest quality possible on a crappy tiny display. I reserve that for stuff that doesn't suffer by low quality, such as news, political debates or shows I've seen many times before.

So for the big event DSC will be for me? The HD tv is a must. But yeah, thanks to streaming, I'm not tied to a certain airtime.

However, I don't think I could wait for too long, once I know it's available -- my curiosity would kill me. ;)

The by far best experience for watching tv in my flat, is when it's not too sunny outside. Otherwise, there is some reflection on the tv screen. The earlier the sun sets? The more time for tv in the evening ... :laugh:

Yeah, I understand the desire to watch it first in the best way possible.

Point well taken.

kenman   
3 hours ago, mr Pointy Ears said:

The main questions r will we actually get to see the show at all and will it be good enough for a second season.

This has been answered over and over, but of course we will see it. They are shooting it now, there has been evidence of that...at this point with all the publicity and presale of the show internationally and the factthat they've begun production, in what world do you think they would now shelve it?

Whether or not it will be good enough in terms of quality? Who knows? But the international sales have indicated thatchances are no matter what, probably will get a second season, and if maybe the reviews aren't great, they have a chance to course correct in a second season (given the money already made and the chance for more money via a second year and beyond with this property). 

CBS seem to believe in the franchise, they know it can make them money, they are already making money on this new show...they are going to give it the best shot at making as much money as possible out of it...and since there is a lot of upfront cost, chances are a second season will be the best way to make sure it turns a huge profit. 

14 minutes ago, kenman said:

This has been answered over and over, but of course we will see it. They are shooting it now, there has been evidence of that...at this point with all the publicity and presale of the show internationally and the factthat they've begun production, in what world do you think they would now shelve it?

Whether or not it will be good enough in terms of quality? Who knows? But the international sales have indicated thatchances are no matter what, probably will get a second season, and if maybe the reviews aren't great, they have a chance to course correct in a second season (given the money already made and the chance for more money via a second year and beyond with this property). 

CBS seem to believe in the franchise, they know it can make them money, they are already making money on this new show...they are going to give it the best shot at making as much money as possible out of it...and since there is a lot of upfront cost, chances are a second season will be the best way to make sure it turns a huge profit. 

It's hard to imagine ANY Star Trek series that doesn't squeeze at least 3 years out of the name brand alone.   They'd have to bungle it very badly not to guarantee at least a couple of seasons.  Even the so-called ratings 'failure' of TOS led to an animated spinoff and an ongoing slew of movies.

And with CBS' new sales/streaming deal for DSC, the show is already in the black months before its actual debut.   I know many hate the deal, but personally I think streaming ST was very smart; it takes Nielsens ratings completely out of the equation.  I think Roddenberry would've loved it.  And not to mention that it's also in keeping with modern viewing habits; as more and more people these days tend to enjoy binge-watching via Netflix, Hulu or Youtube (and hopefully CBS-AA).

scenario   
12 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

It's hard to imagine ANY Star Trek series that doesn't squeeze at least 3 years out of the name brand alone.   They'd have to bungle it very badly not to guarantee at least a couple of seasons.  Even the so-called ratings 'failure' of TOS led to an animated spinoff and an ongoing slew of movies.

And with CBS' new sales/streaming deal for DSC, the show is already in the black months before its actual debut.   I know many hate the deal, but personally I think streaming ST was very smart; it takes Nielsens ratings completely out of the equation.  I think Roddenberry would've loved it.  And not to mention that it's also in keeping with modern viewing habits; as more and more people these days tend to enjoy binge-watching via Netflix, Hulu or Youtube (and hopefully CBS-AA).

Streaming is the modern version of syndication. I just got a Roku so I can stream directly to TV and so far I am very happy with it. The more I think about it the less I'd like it to be one of those shows that if you don't catch it live the first time, you have to wait for months to see the repeat or buy the streaming channel anyway. With the way things are going, if you want to record a show to watch it later, you either have to pay your cable company $200 a month, buy a recorder on line that may or may not work, or get it illegally. 

Sim   
6 hours ago, scenario said:

Streaming is the modern version of syndication. I just got a Roku so I can stream directly to TV and so far I am very happy with it. The more I think about it the less I'd like it to be one of those shows that if you don't catch it live the first time, you have to wait for months to see the repeat or buy the streaming channel anyway. With the way things are going, if you want to record a show to watch it later, you either have to pay your cable company $200 a month, buy a recorder on line that may or may not work, or get it illegally. 

I haven't been watching shows on regular tv for ages. Either I wait for the DVD/BD release... or now streaming via Netflix or Amazon.

We got Amazon's Fire TV stick and it's perfect. Access to both Amazon Prime and Netflix  (via an app) couldn't be more convenient.

Edited by Sim

Frontier   

Not sure if its been said but Les Moonves said "September" a week or two ago at a press event as well.

It'll be TNG's 30th anniversary month, too.

Sim   
13 minutes ago, GustavoLeao said:

Well if even a third of this is true. The new series could spell the final death knell of Star Trek.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Km5qVwZvjm8

Well, as they say in the video: All of this is totally unconfirmed rumor. Even if it contains a true core, it's safe to assume they'd grossly exaggerate all of it.

Now wouldn't it be nice if people could wait until they see a finished product, before they start trashing?

I dunno. Now that the board is back I missed posting this kind of stuff. just for fun LOL

Maybe be true,  meybe not true.

Probably not

Gus