Sign in to follow this  
prometheus59650

DS9 Interview with Nimoy and Behr.

Locutus   

That was a great read!  Thanks.

I like the bit about the Cardassia/Bajor conflict:

"Obviously, this was in the '90s, so there was the Middle Eastern conflict, Lebanon was a big hot topic, tons of things, the Northern Ireland thing came up too, so I would say it's not based on any of them and it's based on all of them."

The fact that it was sort of based on all these historical conflicts adds some timelessness and lasting resonance to the series.  Sadly, history repeats itself.

I also like the story about Colm Meaney objecting to that line about loving Julian more than his wife.  I remember that line so clearly, and loved how DS9 captured that kind of friendship and comraderie.  

I hope he is wrong that DS9 can be the only "outlier" Star Trek show.  I truly believe that for Discovery to succeed, it will need to break the TOS/TNG/VOY mold somewhat.  I'll be happy if Discovery takes its cues more from DS9 than TNG.

Edited by Locutus

Like FOR THE LOVE OF SPOCK, I am so grateful I am involved in this DS9 doc as "Researcher".

Really brings my life as a fan full circle, since the last STAR TREK  that I really enjoyed was DEEP SPACE NINE.

Really touches my heart to be working (again) for Adam Nimoy and 455 Films.

Gus

That was a great read!  Thanks.

I like the bit about the Cardassia/Bajor conflict:

"Obviously, this was in the '90s, so there was the Middle Eastern conflict, Lebanon was a big hot topic, tons of things, the Northern Ireland thing came up too, so I would say it's not based on any of them and it's based on all of them."

The fact that it was sort of based on all these historical conflicts adds some timelessness and lasting resonance to the series.  Sadly, history repeats itself.

I also like the story about Colm Meaney objecting to that line about loving Julian more than his wife.  I remember that line so clearly, and loved how DS9 captured that kind of friendship and comraderie.  

I hope he is wrong that DS9 can be the only "outlier" Star Trek show.  I truly believe that for Discovery to succeed, it will need to break the TOS/TNG/VOY mold somewhat.  I'll be happy if Discovery takes its cues more from DS9 than TNG.

I agree. They're really not going to be able to do the TNG/VOY/Most of ENT where they were mostly meaningless to the show after the end credits. It's just a different landscape in 2017.

Ira Steven Behr and the DS9 WHAT WE LEFT BEHIND Documentary Team (David, Adam, Kai, Luke and Joe) are here with a special surprise guest to thank YOU, the fans, for your incredible support of our Indiegogo campaign. Friday, March 10th is the last day to officially join in the campaign and help make DS9 history!

In an interview with Space.com, Ira Behr and Adan Nimoy said they are reconfiguring their plans for the now 90-minute DEEP SPACE NIME documentary, which is 30 minutes longer than their original vision, because of the extraordinary response to the crowdfunding effort. Among other things, they plan to convert several clips of DS9 to high resolution, conduct more extensive interviews with cast and crew and possibly add 6 hours of extras following the DS9 creators as they lay out a plot for a mythical "Season 8" for the long-running series.

http://www.space.com/35991-star-trek-ds9-documentary-crowdfunding-success.html

Gus

There actually should have been a season 8. Abbreviated, maybe six episodes, but it was all just a bit abruptly ended.

12 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

There actually should have been a season 8. Abbreviated, maybe six episodes, but it was all just a bit abruptly ended.

A concluding DS9 miniseries would've been sweet.  Kind of like the recent X-Files "S10" miniseries (which admittedly, was hit and miss).  But I suppose reconstructing all of those sets (esp the Promenade!) today just wouldn't be worth the cost...

Such a pity.

Sign in to follow this