Zinnax

Favorite Fan Fictions?

Zinnax   

Hi everyone. I'm curious to know--do you read fan fiction? What's your opinion of it? Do you have any favorite authors, genres, pairings, etc? Thanks for any replies. :~) 

:Gold:

I strongly believe in the uniqueness of the Trek fan fiction genre and I am an avid defender of its incarnations, especially slash. I'm usually the first who starts picking up the pitchforks if someone tries to tell me "fan fic is not art" or "you slash writers only want to make characters gay". That's a) utter nonsense and b) utter no no. So, my opinion of fan fic is that it's a wonderful creative tool, and fan fic authors deserve praise for putting their writing out there. It took me years to publish my stuff and if it hadn't been as well-received as it was by other slash fan fic writers/readers (AND non-slash people as well) and if they hadn't encouraged me to write and publish more, I never would have done so. Sure it was bumpy at first, no one starts out perfectly, but that's why feedback is so important.

*climbs off soap box* :laugh: 

Now.

I hardly read any TNG fan fic these days unless it's a favor for a friend (I hardly ever agree to beta things because I'm a horrible nitpicker when it comes to Jean-Luc) or written by someone whose name is vaguely familiar to me - I'm a TNG/Picard-centered fan fic writer myself, I guess that has to do with it in some way, I spot even the tiniest mistake or out of character phrase and this can be very tiresome if you just want to read something to be entertained.

Before I started writing myself I used to love reading basically anything that featured Picard/Q or anything that had Picard/adult male character and was x-rated. I collected quite a few of these fan fics on floppy disks and am now very happy to have them because most of them can no longer be found. (Among them also crossover gems like Picard/Bashir or Picard/Garak. Super rare pairings.) They remind me of the early days of me as a fan fic fan. 

I do read the occasional Kirk/Spock story these days though (TOS version only), though. Or if someone writes a nice little Garak/Bashir ficlet. Or some nice Archer/Tucker fluff. Or rare pairings, no matter which series, except maybe VOY, I don't really get involved in either the show or its fan fic. I love rare pairings, someone who writes a rare pairing (no matter if slash or het) has my immediate attention since I mostly write rare (Picard) pairings myself.

All in all I'd say my favorite genre to read (and write) is definitely slash, favorite pairings to write are pairings that involve Jean-Luc, but the favorites to READ these days are usually ones that DON'T involve him directly due to my incredibly annoying nitpicking habit. I don't have a favorite author however, I don't read enough fan fic these days to really be able to pick one. 

^ Our Mr Picard writes some of the best fanfic I've yet read.  I really hear the character's 'voices' when he writes.  The wit and interaction of the characters is very sophisticated and true.  Another favorite of mine is our own Corylea, who writes TOS-era fanfic that is truly a cut above; really has a 'deleted scenes' feel to it.  Before I came to this board 5 years ago, I didn't read much in the way of fanfic, and to be honest, much of that earlier stuff just wasn't very good in my opinion.  But being a part of this community has opened my eyes to a broader world of possibilities; and I realized that there are some massively talented writers out there that I'd simply not discovered yet...

I like fanfic. The Duchess and I met in a play-by-mail Trek writing club, but haven't done it in a while, though have considered dabbling back into it for something to do.

Not into reading it enough to have favorite authors though.

I like fanfic. The Duchess and I met in a play-by-mail Trek writing club, but haven't done it in a while, though have considered dabbling back into it for something to do.

That's a nice meeting story.  It still amazes me how many truly terrific and creative people I've met through fandom; both online and real world.  

That's a nice meeting story.  It still amazes me how many truly terrific and creative people I've met through fandom; both online and real world.  

Yeah. I dare say Trek fandom in particular is full of them. :)

I used to read it more avidly and actually wrote some here and there as experiments in capturing voice and creating viable plotlines.  I suggest delving into what we have here - a lot of it is excellent :)

I like fan fics that are true to the characters, and do things you wouldn't normally see on the shows.  Crossovers you may not see, or interactions and adventures that may be too difficult.  Or in some cases, a show that didn't have a series finale, gets a series finale.

I don't like slash fics, and wouldn't bother reading them, but hey, it's someone's vision, and if they want to write that, go for it.

I don't like out of character stories either, because after all, why write about characters we all know, and then write them differently and out of character--just create an original.

A big pet peeve of mine is incomplete stories--especially if there are long waits between entries.

I tend to avoid incomplete stories.

What really sucks is if you are reading a great story, and didn't realize it was incomplete--and then you get to the end and nothing.

One of my favorite Star Trek fan fics was a crossover with MASH, set from Kirk's point of view between TWOK and TSFS.  As preposterous as the story sounds, it was really good.  Surprisingly good.

And it basically ended in the middle of a sentence.

A big pet peeve of mine is incomplete stories--especially if there are long waits between entries.

I tend to avoid incomplete stories.

What really sucks is if you are reading a great story, and didn't realize it was incomplete--and then you get to the end and nothing.

I totally get that and it's frustrating. On the other hand, it's a free story and, while you might feel like you're owed the end...it's a free story.

I tend to finish them in my own head in that case.

Zinnax   

I strongly believe in the uniqueness of the Trek fan fiction genre and I am an avid defender of its incarnations, especially slash. I'm usually the first who starts picking up the pitchforks if someone tries to tell me "fan fic is not art" or "you slash writers only want to make characters gay". That's a) utter nonsense and b) utter no no. So, my opinion of fan fic is that it's a wonderful creative tool, and fan fic authors deserve praise for putting their writing out there. It took me years to publish my stuff and if it hadn't been as well-received as it was by other slash fan fic writers/readers (AND non-slash people as well) and if they hadn't encouraged me to write and publish more, I never would have done so. Sure it was bumpy at first, no one starts out perfectly, but that's why feedback is so important.

Now.

I hardly read any TNG fan fic these days unless it's a favor for a friend (I hardly ever agree to beta things because I'm a horrible nitpicker when it comes to Jean-Luc) or written by someone whose name is vaguely familiar to me - I'm a TNG/Picard-centered fan fic writer myself, I guess that has to do with it in some way, I spot even the tiniest mistake or out of character phrase and this can be very tiresome if you just want to read something to be entertained.

Before I started writing myself I used to love reading basically anything that featured Picard/Q or anything that had Picard/adult male character and was x-rated. I collected quite a few of these fan fics on floppy disks and am now very happy to have them because most of them can no longer be found. (Among them also crossover gems like Picard/Bashir or Picard/Garak. Super rare pairings.) They remind me of the early days of me as a fan fic fan. 

I do read the occasional Kirk/Spock story these days though (TOS version only), though. Or if someone writes a nice little Garak/Bashir ficlet. Or some nice Archer/Tucker fluff. Or rare pairings, no matter which series, except maybe VOY, I don't really get involved in either the show or its fan fic. I love rare pairings, someone who writes a rare pairing (no matter if slash or het) has my immediate attention since I mostly write rare (Picard) pairings myself.

All in all I'd say my favorite genre to read (and write) is definitely slash, favorite pairings to write are pairings that involve Jean-Luc, but the favorites to READ these days are usually ones that DON'T involve him directly due to my incredibly annoying nitpicking habit. I don't have a favorite author however, I don't read enough fan fic these days to really be able to pick one. 

Mr.Picard--Omg I love you. Lol! We have the same exact taste in fan fiction. Rare pairings are pretty much all I write. I can hook you up with some fanfiction hot off the press when I finally bring myself to publish, if you're interested. LOL

I was SO not expecting so many awesome, thoughtful replies! I would die to read some of the super early fan fiction of the internet. I'm too young to have ever seen it. I just imagine the internet back then as such a frontier-sy place where only nerds like you guys (no offense :P) congregated to talk Star Trek and whatnot. I get the feeling a lot of you are old enough, and I'm so envious. :)

Now.

Mr.Picard--Omg I love you. Lol! We have the same exact taste in fan fiction. Rare pairings are pretty much all I write. I can hook you up with some fanfiction hot off the press when I finally bring myself to publish, if you're interested. LOL

I was SO not expecting so many awesome, thoughtful replies! I would die to read some of the super early fan fiction of the internet. I'm too young to have ever seen it. I just imagine the internet back then as such a frontier-sy place where only nerds like you guys (no offense :P) congregated to talk Star Trek and whatnot. I get the feeling a lot of you are old enough, and I'm so envious. :)

You're pretty much looking at one of the "relics" from the earlier internet times when it comes to Trek - this message board. I've been here for over a decade (with an interruption, granted, but I came back), and I was also a member of this board's predecessor, back in the Ancient Times when Trekcore was called Trekpulse and the board was blue. Heh. So this board has been here for a long long time, at least in internet terms. And now you're part of its history - it's never too late for that! :) 

If you want I can send you some of that old fic that I collected back then. It's TNG only though, and a lot of it is far from in-character, but it is an interesting look at the history of things, at least for TNG. With TOS you of course would have to go back much further, to the old days of the Kirk/Spock fanzines. TNG had fanzines as well although they never reached the fame of the K/S ones AND they often exclusively focused on Data being fully functional with ladies or Riker and Troi, yawn, so there's that - not my field of interest, really. lol But in the late 90s people were already starting to publish their stories online, so the fanzines stopped appearing. I came into the fandom late in life, in 2002 (I was 19 then) but it was early enough to witness Yahoo groups and the busiest time of Trek message boards. I still remember reading the very first x rated Picard/Q fan fic I came across on a Yahoo geocities page -with very annoying music- and I remember blushing and being like "OH MY GOD WHAT IS HAPPENING Q OMG WHAT IS THIS WHAT ARE YOU DOING WITH JEAN-LUC OMG I MUST READ ON". My ears got so red they must have been glowing. Ah, the good old times. :laugh: 

And I'm definitely interested in reading some of your fan fic, especially since you say we have the same taste in fan fic, haha! Rare pairings need more attention, I keep saying this. I rarely publish my fic here on this board anymore because I write too many x-rated scenes these days and those aren't allowed here (and that's okay I just don't want to maneuver around them anymore lol) but if you want, the link to my stuff is here

And don't worry about publishing things. We all hesitated once! I actually still hesitate to publish my stuff and I've been writing fan fic for a long time. The nervousness never really leaves, but that's part of the process of being a fic writer. Another writer said to me once "if you're not nervous about publishing a new fan fic you're doing it wrong". She had a point there.

Oh and I almost forgot - thank you Sehlat, I am honored that you named me as one of your favorite fic writers! *blush*

I totally get that and it's frustrating. On the other hand, it's a free story and, while you might feel like you're owed the end...it's a free story.

I tend to finish them in my own head in that case.

Free to read?  Yes.  But my time isn't free.  The time I spend reading something is time that could be spent reading something else, so the frustration of an incomplete story makes me feel that I wasted my time.  It's even WORSE if the story is good.

I've only written 3 fan fics in my life, but they were all completed before I put them out there.  I stopped because I didn't have "the idea" to write another one.  Ultimately, story is what matters. 

Sim   

And I'm definitely interested in reading some of your fan fic, especially since you say we have the same taste in fan fic, haha! Rare pairings need more attention, I keep saying this. I rarely publish my fic here on this board anymore because I write too many x-rated scenes these days and those aren't allowed here (and that's okay I just don't want to maneuver around them anymore lol) but if you want, the link to my stuff is here

I finally managed to read three of your stories: "Tea. Earl Grey. Hot", "Another Crack in my Heart" and "Strangers in the Night". I picked them because they were the first standalones on the list and not too long.

Great job! :thumbup: I think they are really well written, as far as I can tell, not being an English native speaker. Especially Jean-Luc gets formidable attention, I can perfectly hear his voice and *see* him in front of my eyes, when reading your description. Really well done!

That said, "Strangers in the Night", while probably serving its purpose, appeared to me like it wasn't too Jean-Luc specific, I guess it'd work just as well if you just replaced his name with someone else's... but then, it isn't a character piece anyway. :laugh:

However, the first two really have ... like someone else said, a "lost scene" quality to them. Especially the Walker/Jean-Luc interaction is really spot on, IMO.

But again, I noticed that slash fan fiction is not really my cup of tea. Don't get me wrong, I do think they are well written, and I perfectly sympathize with your feelings and motivations for writing them... I just felt I'm not really the best addressee, as I don't share the same romantic enthusiasm for Jean-Luc. If I had to choose a character in one of the stories to change bodies with, I guess it'd be Jack Crusher or Guinan -- leaving the scene just before the action starts, and be happy for the two friends. ;)

Edited by Sim

I finally managed to read three of your stories: "Tea. Earl Grey. Hot", "Another Crack in my Heart" and "Strangers in the Night". I picked them because they were the first standalones on the list and not too long.

Great job! :thumbup: I think they are really well written, as far as I can tell, not being an English native speaker. Especially Jean-Luc gets formidable attention, I can perfectly hear his voice and *see* him in front of my eyes, when reading your description. Really well done!

That said, "Strangers in the Night", while probably serving its purpose, appeared to me like it wasn't too Jean-Luc specific, I guess it'd work just as well if you just replaced his name with someone else's... but then, it isn't a character piece anyway. :laugh:

However, the first two really have ... like someone else said, a "lost scene" quality to them. Especially the Walker/Jean-Luc interaction is really spot on, IMO.

But again, I noticed that slash fan fiction is not really my cup of tea. Don't get me wrong, I do think they are well written, and I perfectly sympathize with your feelings and motivations for writing them... I just felt I'm not really the best addressee, as I don't share the same romantic enthusiasm for Jean-Luc. If I had to choose a character in one of the stories to change bodies with, I guess it'd be Jack Crusher or Guinan -- leaving the scene just before the action starts, and be happy for the two friends. ;)

That's okay, that it isn't your thing, I mean. Although I do need to point out that romantic attraction towards Jean-Luc is not a requirement for being into my stories, I can assure you that a lot of my readers are NOT attracted to Jean-Luc in THAT way. :laugh: I get what you mean, though - I feel similarly about most het stories although I definitely appreciate the occasional naughty Skinner/Scully or Picard/Troi story (the latter of which I'm guilty of writing myself on occasion, I see no reason to limit myself to writing slash only even though it's definitely my main focus).

Thanks for your very kind words, though. They mean a lot, coming from someone who isn't a huge slash fan in the first place, and I'm VERY happy to hear that you enjoyed "my" Jean-Luc! And yeah, "Strangers" isn't a character piece although it served as a perfect basis for an EXTREMELY x-rated piece of artwork that someone drew for me recently and which I obviously cannot post here now. lol It's a PWP ficlet, those aren't exactly character-based masterpieces but a lot of people love a steamy scene - it IS one of my most popular ficlets for that very reason. The Picard/Keel fic is a different matter indeed, it was particularly difficult to write - Jean-Luc in a relationship is difficult to write already without getting completely off-track and out of character, but writing GRUMPY SEASON ONE PICARD in a ROMANTIC setting is like balancing on the edge of a cliff. But then it's JUST like me to fall in love with and decide to write fan fic about one of the most romantically complicated characters in the Trek universe. *facepalm* haha

Edited by Mr.Picard

Benedict   

Glenn Scully's were something I used to follow frequently, going so far as to shape and bolster my Enterprise stuff. Shame he disappeared. Nowadays, most of the stuff I read is at Ad Astra when I can and certainly it's where I write -or did, it's dried up somewhat in recent months. All shaped by the authors I liked to read (novel wise), Peter David, Diane Carey and Vonda N. Macintyre chiefly.