Sign in to follow this  
GustavoLeao

Jaylah Returns in STAR TREK TO BOLDLY GO

Jaylah, as played by actress Sofia Boutella, was the best thing in Star Trek Beyond, is making her debut in this week's issue of Star Trek: Boldly Go — by Mike Johnson, Tony Shashteen, J.D. Mettler and AndWorld Design — which, while set after the events of the movie, will explore her backstory from the events before Beyond, as she prepares for her new life as a cadet at Starfleet Academy.

16729471_10212181446270564_7493240320278

Yes, more Jaylah please!  She's the best female character introduced to the movies since Saavik in TWOK.  

If they were smart, they'd bring her back to fill the tragic vacancy left by the late Anton Yelchin's Chekov.   It felt like they were grooming her for future adventures anyway by having her character go to the Academy at the end of STB.   Maybe she aced it and finished early, like Kirk (?).

kenman   

I too am all for more Jaylah.  She adds more color to the cast (being a unique alien design), gives the cast another decent female role (better than JUST Uhura) and she was wonderfully played by Boutella.  I would like to see that character get some development and grow beyond where she was in her first appearance.  And if she was brought into the next film as a young Ensign taking the Navigator's spot, I would not be unhappy. 

Yes, more Jaylah please!  She's the best female character introduced to the movies since Saavik in TWOK.  

If they were smart, they'd bring her back to fill the tragic vacancy left by the late Anton Yelchin's Chekov.   It felt like they were grooming her for future adventures anyway by having her character go to the Academy at the end of STB.   Maybe she aced it and finished early, like Kirk (?).

That works. It almost feels like that was the plan and I think it's certainly something Yelchin would have been cool with.

Not necessarily. The movie could take place five years after the last movie, since each movie seems to be expanding how long it's been between each movie (one years between '09 and Darkness and three years between Darkness and Beyond). It's plausible that the next film would take place in four years, and she would have time to graduate normally. Which I feel would need to be the case, as she would also have to learn how to live among people again (she had been living on her own for years) and to be in what the Federation considers to be civilization.

Honestly, I'm not sure I care for how they've done this series so far. I've been reading it faithfully since it came out, and I feel they wasted the Borg in this series. Somehow Spock's being a hybrid defeated the Borg's assimilation process even though they seem to be at a VOY level of tech in To Boldly Go? The Narada was Borg tech and the Borg want it back? Also how they ended the last issue on Romulus, made me roll my eyes. Felt like they were forcing the Enterprise Crew not only back together, but in the same positions as before by eliminating anyone who stood in the way of them having their jobs back..

Well, it was Roberto Orci (remember him ?) who said the IDW comics featuring the JJ TREK crew are canon, so anything in those stories is considered official stuff.But Orci has left STAR TREK behind (there is a God !) and quit the role of supervisor in the comics, so I dont know if they are still canon.

But yeah, bring Jaylah back in STAR TREK 4 as navigator or helping Scotty in engineering.That would be cool.

Gus

Well, it was Roberto Orci (remember him ?) who said the IDW comics featuring the JJ TREK crew are canon, so anything in those stories is considered official stuff.But Orci has left STAR TREK behind (there is a God !) and quit the role of supervisor in the comics, so I dont know if they are still canon.

But yeah, bring Jaylah back in STAR TREK 4 as navigator or helping Scotty in engineering.That would be cool.

Gus

I don't put too much stock in what Orci says these days...

kenman   

Canon is as you like it to be.  =Comics I enjoyed are canon. Comics I find boring or to be drivel? Out of the canon for me! Choose your own I always say.  There are episodes of TAS I find to have more value of canon than episodes of Voyager (like...the one with the dinosaurs?).  Canon debates have always been somewhat odd to me.  If you like it count it, if things don't quite fit together as you'd like...make something up to fill the gap!

Canon is as you like it to be.  =Comics I enjoyed are canon. Comics I find boring or to be drivel? Out of the canon for me! Choose your own I always say.  There are episodes of TAS I find to have more value of canon than episodes of Voyager (like...the one with the dinosaurs?).  Canon debates have always been somewhat odd to me.  If you like it count it, if things don't quite fit together as you'd like...make something up to fill the gap!

^

This. THIS.   So very much 100% this! 

I more or less follow Roddenberry's rules. Anything outside the films and movies is not canon. As for the shows, I follow the old Star Wars EU rules (which was never canon, despite the boo-hooing of fans). Whatever is newer takes precedence if it contradicts the old. Example, the episode in TNG "The Host" where we first meet Trills, happened, but what they introduced about the Trills was more or less dissolved by what we learn later.

But there is levels of not canon. There is not canon. Then there is really not canon. And then the is REALLY REALLY not canon. lol

Geee, I praise STAR TREK BEYOND for introducing a strong and interesting character and the boards, in pure internet shock, shuts down.

No more praise by me, I can tell you that LOL

Gus

Geee, I praise STAR TREK BEYOND for introducing a strong and interesting character and the boards, in pure internet shock, shuts down.

No more praise by me, I can tell you that LOL

Gus

I think Trekcore OS was in shock... :laugh:

Sign in to follow this