Sign in to follow this  
Admiral Harmon

The Good Men Do and Kobayashi Maru Combined Review

Long long ago, when I first joined the site (seven years ago), I always had a hankering to read the Romulan War books. So finally, I got to reading these books that I had wanted to do. So I am reviewing the first two installments of the arc in a combined review. I'll keep it pretty unspoilery, but there will be some spoilers.

51s%2BVSrvKQL._SX311_BO1,204,203,200_.jplatest?cb=20080403005653

The Good Men Do and Kobayashi Maru were pretty good in my mind. Fixing These are the Voyages... is a worthy goal for any books, making it instead into a Section 31 cover-up for a real mission. The first book is far more of a spy thriller. TGTMD has Trip Tucker 'dead', but he actually is a spy, being vocal about the need to face off against the Romulans, who he hasn't had very good experiences with. So, undercover, he goes to Romulan territory, a spy protege to a man whose been out for years. He learns the secret of the Romulans.....they they are "kissing cousins" to the Vulcans. It was a pretty good thriller, keeping you at the edge of the seat. Yet.....the climax of the book, somehow he discovered these top secret Romulan plans, although how Trip discovered it is anyone's guess. We do know he discovers how the Romulans plan on upgrading their warp drives to Warp 7, but there is no clear idea of how he discovers their plans for their very first action against the recently formed Coalition of Planets.

Then onto KM. This book is basically the days leading up to the all-out war with the Romulans. Again, I felt it was a very good book. Intrigue, political and otherwise abound. There was even a nice nod to the TOS episode "Piece of the Action" that I loved. While it was interesting to discover (at least in book form) how the Kobayashi Maru test came into being, the actual setup and execution of that real life situation seemed forced. One of the things about these two books is the many, many, many webs and levels you have to weave through to actually discover who is on whose side. 

Both books seem to have the ability to invoke believable personalities that stick to the show characters. It makes it easy to hear their voices in your hear as you read the lines being delivered by them. 

One thing about these books is they like throwing in dozens of alien words that they never take time to explain in most cases. Now, having read Needs of the Many, the STO tie-in novel, I am familiar with this desire by ST authors to throw in these alien words. So it didn't bug me nearly as much as many other did. Yet it does make it a little hard to understand what is being said by people. Especially when some of it is never given a context.

These are indeed worthy books for those interested in Star Trek and setting right what was made wrong.

Now.....I have been a little hesitant about reading the other two books. Under the Raptor's Wing and To Brave the Storm have gotten some really bad reviews. And much of it seems valid, as you can tell many of the critiques in these earlier books. We'll just have to see if I brave the plunge!

"Under The Raptor's Wing" is excellent; don't listen to negative reviews.  The other books in the Romulan Wars series are also quite good IMO.

Sim   

I read all four of these books within the past two years. And I absolutely liked them.

The "Romulan Wars" books get bad reviews? I don't see why. They're worthy continuations of the first two. If you liked the first two, you'll like the next two as well, I'm sure. They are not without flaws, but absolutely worthwhile, IMO.

I read all four of these books within the past two years. And I absolutely liked them.

The "Romulan Wars" books get bad reviews? I don't see why. They're worthy continuations of the first two. If you liked the first two, you'll like the next two as well, I'm sure. They are not without flaws, but absolutely worthwhile, IMO.

check the Amazon pages for them. They only get an average of about 3.5 stars. Either way, I'll dive into them. Certainly can't be as bad as some of the stuff I've read. lol

Sim   

check the Amazon pages for them. They only get an average of about 3.5 stars. Either way, I'll dive into them. Certainly can't be as bad as some of the stuff I've read. lol

Oh yeah, Amazon reviews... I've found that they usually don't reflect my feelings on a Trek book, so I take them with a huuuge grain of salt. :)

Haven't looked at the reviews of these two books in particular, but often averages on Amazon are dragged down by people who have a fundamental beef with the product or producer, and flood the section with one-star reviews. It's tricky to find reviews that are actually useful... there usually are some, but the average doesn't say much because of this distortion.

Take the Amazon review of the DVDs for the new "X-Files" episodes in Germany: IIRC, the average rating is 1.5 only or so. But that's because on 15 serious reviews, there are 50 one-line "reviews" who give minimal points because "Mulder is dubbed by a new German voice! That's intolerable!" <--- without even looking at the quality of the episodes, or trying to find a balanced review. The review section is just for venting anger.

Often it helps when I ignore all one-star and all five-star reviews, because they're usually not "reviews" but the knee-jerk reaction by haters and uncritical enthusiasts -- the real reviews are more often in the two-to-four star range.

Edited by Sim

Oh yeah, Amazon reviews... I've found that they usually don't reflect my feelings on a Trek book, so I take them with a huuuge grain of salt. :)

I ignore Amazon reviews because by and large they're opinions that are colored by factors totally unrelated to the product in review; often the reviewer is angry because their book was late, or they were in a bad mood when they reviewed it, etc.  

I trust professional reviews or reviews by peer writers, but Amazon reviews are largely just average folks venting.  I don't put much stock in them either...

I ignore Amazon reviews because by and large they're opinions that are colored by factors totally unrelated to the product in review; often the reviewer is angry because their book was late, or they were in a bad mood when they reviewed it, etc.  

I trust professional reviews or reviews by peer writers, but Amazon reviews are largely just average folks venting.  I don't put much stock in them either...

Generally I don't either. They praised Band of Brothers but generally hate on Pacific even though I think the latter is the far superior product. Or year 3 of Injustice Gods among Us comics because of it dealing with Constantine and the House of Magic while I dislike that year and never cared for the magical element of DC. However, the Romulab books post K.M. get a pretty bad rap on all review websites. Kobo Books, Goodreads, B&N. they all pan it pretty badly.

Either way, I'm a 'decide for myself' kinda guy so I am reading the other ones. Currently in chapter 7 and it's starting out ok. Could use a bit less Pontificating though. lol

Sign in to follow this