Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JayTheTrekkie

My TNG and Voyager season DVDs

11 posts in this topic

Many years ago, I have gotten The Next Generation DVDs and Voyager DVDs....they are the ones that were released back in 2002 and 2004 (for Voyager). I did not get the DS9 seasons on DVDs. 

Now that there is the new TNG complete series set (which came out in 2016...not the blu ray version though) and Voyager series (coming soon) set.....I was thinking about replacing the old ones with the new ones. Thinking about getting the DS9 series set too even though I'm not big on DS9. 

Is the quality (as in more clearer) any better in the new series sets than the old individual TNG season DVDs and Voyager season DVDs?

I can't say for certain, but I'm fairly sure they are just re-issues; no remaster of any kind.

Actually thinking of getting the "old" ENT blu set while it's still in stock at Amazon. I'm missing two seasons, and I can get the whole series for $50, which is less than the cost of one season.

Edited by prometheus59650

No DVD remastering here for TNG, no. They did that when they made the Blu Rays. But before that, nah. They just re-released the DVDs with different packaging. So it's really a waste of money to buy them again if you already have the ones that were released before. DVD quality of the show was never really improved in any way. If you want true improvement you'll have to get the Blu Rays.

As for the other two series I'm fairly certain there was never any improvement there either. CBS just loves to re-release DVDs every once in a while. If you already have the show on DVD there's really no need to buy these.

They certainly have the money to update and remaster everything if they wanted. It's simply a matter of them not wanting to. Kinda like what WB did with Babylon 5. Shell out the bare minimum whenever possible.

They certainly have the money to update and remaster everything if they wanted. It's simply a matter of them not wanting to. Kinda like what WB did with Babylon 5. Shell out the bare minimum whenever possible.

Well I think it's more complex than them simply "not wanting to". For them, it's an easy calculation: Expected sales of a HD remaster minus expected costs for a remaster, minus sales for the SD version -- and if the result is high enough, they'll do it. When it isn't, they won't. Simple as that.

CBS is no charity organization.

I can see why there is no HD remaster of B5: Basically *all* f/x scenes would have to be recreated, which would be ridiculously expensive. Considering B5 is a niche show after all, I can't imagine it would pay off even after 100 years.

Edited by Sim

Well I think it's more complex than them simply "not wanting to". For them, it's an easy calculation: Expected sales of a HD remaster minus expected costs for a remaster, minus sales for the SD version -- and if the result is high enough, they'll do it. When it isn't, they won't. Simple as that.

I can see why there is no HD remaster of B5: Basically *all* f/x scenes would have to be recreated, which would be ridiculously expensive. Considering B5 is a niche show after all, I can't imagine it would pay off even after 100 years.

Agreed. CBS will want to remaster things if the expected profit margin is high enough. For now, all they see is putting millions of dollars into something that will never pay back because there won't be enough people who buy the product. Besides, they miscalculated with HD TNG already, it won't happen to them again. They rather throw out the exact thing on DVD again with different packaging, who knows, some people might still want to buy it, and some will indeed. That tiny profit margin is appealing to them, which says a lot about their non-existent willingness to remaster DS9/VOY.

And yeah. No charity organization. Profit is what matters here.

Agreed. CBS will want to remaster things if the expected profit margin is high enough. For now, all they see is putting millions of dollars into something that will never pay back because there won't be enough people who buy the product. Besides, they miscalculated with HD TNG already, it won't happen to them again. They rather throw out the exact thing on DVD again with different packaging, who knows, some people might still want to buy it, and some will indeed. That tiny profit margin is appealing to them, which says a lot about their non-existent willingness to remaster DS9/VOY.

At least we got an X-Files remaster... I guess the remaster was cheap enough, as fx is sparse on the show, and they often just zoomed in from SD. Plus it has a sufficiently large cult following. 

At least we got an X-Files remaster... I guess the remaster was cheap enough, as fx is sparse on the show, and they often just zoomed in from SD. Plus it has a sufficiently large cult following. 

AND it has new episodes now. Yet another incentive. And I do think HD-ing the show was a lot less of a hassle than it was with TNG, yes. Forgot the reason, but I do remember reading about how things were easier and much, much cheaper. 

AND it has new episodes now. Yet another incentive. And I do think HD-ing the show was a lot less of a hassle than it was with TNG, yes. Forgot the reason, but I do remember reading about how things were easier and much, much cheaper. 

Making a new HD master from the original film is really cheap, as far as I know (which is why even so many not at all mass popular older shows get HD remasters -- even the old black/white "The Twilight Zone" from 1959 got a HD remaster). The only thing that makes a remaster expensive is when there are fx scenes which are not on the film, but were inserted later -- usually digitally created in SD for the first SD master and inserted there. Which is why all f/x shots for TNG had to be recreated in HD from scratch. That was what made it expensive. (IIRC, TNG was not even cut on film, but first, all filmed material was converted to SD video, and then the material was cut into episodes. For the HD remaster, all film material had to be recut in HD.)

But "The X-Files"? Almost everything of the show is on film. Digital f/x is really rare on "The X-Files". By far most effects that add to the atmosphere of the show are not digitally inserted, but "conventional" effects, like a particular lighting or camera angle when filming a shot, and masks. So they had to recreate only very few shots (maybe an UFO or two, once or twice per season -- there are not many digital effects I remember. Many episodes even do well without a single digital f/x shot). And they did not even recreate all of them in HD, but some were just taken from the SD master and upscaled (so the picture quality is much lower on these few shots, but since they're usually only two or three seconds at best, it doesn't disturb the general experience).

But a show like Star Trek or Babylon 5, where "outside" shots of the ships, phaser and transporters effects and so on, all f/x which was digitally inserted in SD, is absolutely central? They probably could not just upscale all these shots and sell it as remaster, as too many people would cry foul (not without reason).

Edited by Sim

Since the quality would still be the same anyways but would be good to get them to free up some space on my bookshelf in my room.     I would have to hold on to the old ones until I have watched through the new sets to make sure they are working fine before I take the old ones to the used store here in my town.  

Since the quality would still be the same anyways but would be good to get them to free up some space on my bookshelf in my room.     I would have to hold on to the old ones until I have watched through the new sets to make sure they are working fine before I take the old ones to the used store here in my town.  

Yeah, you never know if one out of the many DVDs has a scratch or error on the surface, until you've played it... sounds reasonable.

When I bought the HD Blu Rays of TNG and ENT, I gave my DVDs to a good friend. He was happy enough to get them for free, and if it ever turned out I need an individual DVD back from him? He'd certainly give it back.

But then, even if a BD was damaged, I wouldn't ask the DVD back, since all the shows are now on Netflix anyway.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0