kenman

RIP Richard Hatch

16 posts in this topic

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/richard-hatch-battlestar-galactica-star-dead-71-article-1.2966680

The original Apollo from Battlestar Galactica, who went on to create a whole new character for the reboot, in Tom Zarek.  He was clearly a big fan of the franchise, and even spearheaded an attempted revival in the late 90s (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_s8heJPX8xk) but it was eventually passed on and they went onto the revival spearheaded by Moore went into the works...but he didn't ever give up on his vision, I remember even after the Moore version wrapped up and maybe after Caprica he was still trying to be apart of revival that was closer in tone and style to that original show.  I don't know much of Hatch beyond his work on that franchise really, but he was quite the ambassador for the franchise.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/richard-hatch-battlestar-galactica-star-dead-71-article-1.2966680

The original Apollo from Battlestar Galactica, who went on to create a whole new character for the reboot, in Tom Zarek.  He was clearly a big fan of the franchise, and even spearheaded an attempted revival in the late 90s (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_s8heJPX8xk) but it was eventually passed on and they went onto the revival spearheaded by Moore went into the works...but he didn't ever give up on his vision, I remember even after the Moore version wrapped up and maybe after Caprica he was still trying to be apart of revival that was closer in tone and style to that original show.  I don't know much of Hatch beyond his work on that franchise really, but he was quite the ambassador for the franchise.

Oh my god, I'm shocked.

I've met Hatch many times at various conventions; he actually recognized me from all the times we'd chatted together.  Last time I saw him was in July of last year at Comic Con, and walking through a mall in San Diego when I went to see "Star Trek Beyond"; he even waved at me.

I'm still processing this; no words....:(

Wow. I chatted with him in Vegas more than once.

He was such a nice guy and loved the fans.

Just....wow.

No, just no. Devastating news.

I remember back in 2005, about the 2nd time I met him, and we chatted about his BSG books.  His fandom was absolutely genuine; as was his enthusiasm for his projects.   It was contagious, as well.  If you were around him for a few minutes, he'd make you a believer, too.  At the many times I'd seen him at conventions, he was always 'there' for his fans.  Slow times, busy times.  All the time.  He was as enamored of them as they were of him. 

Hell, I just saw him last July and he looked good; I would've never guessed. 

Such a shame.  He's already missed.   It's going to hard to imagine a scifi convention without him..:(

I remember back in 2005, about the 2nd time I met him, and we chatted about his BSG books.  His fandom was absolutely genuine; as was his enthusiasm for his projects.   It was contagious, as well.  If you were around him for a few minutes, he'd make you a believer, too.  At the many times I'd seen him at conventions, he was always 'there' for his fans.  Slow times, busy times.  All the time.  He was as enamored of them as they were of him. 

Such a shame.  He's already missed.   It's going to hard to imagine a scifi convention without him..:(

I know it. He wasn't just riding things out like some one-hit wonder. He loved BSG, his and Moore's,and loved sci-fi in general and did it with such enthusiasm.

He never stopped being young.

I know it. He wasn't just riding things out like some one-hit wonder. He loved BSG, his and Moore's,and loved sci-fi in general and did it with such enthusiasm.

It sounds like he was truly a class act!

Edited by Locutus

It sounds like he was truly a class act!

He really was.

And the genre lost an unsung hero.

I really liked him. He was always very nice to me when I'd e-mail him, message over facebook or talked to him at Comic Con. I left the link to my CC conversation with him down below. Only 2 minutes long. I was really looking forward to him to be in Axanar, one more thing we can be mad about that CBS and Paramount sued them for so long, he wasn't able to reprise his role for the fan-movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNWoKGtEeD8

Oh no, I cant believe this ! RIP Richard, one of my childhood heroes and a hell of an actor.

16473912_10210347282776963_8864963667079

Update : GALACTICA co-star Dirk Benedict expressed his sadness via Twitter :

16473267_10212128159618431_1441060557781

Gus

Edited by GustavoLeao

Very sad to hear. As many have said he was a true champion for the fans. I think that even with the success of the BSG reboot there are still many of us long time fans who wish that we could have seen his revival idea completed anyway. I really wish that his trailer for the idea could be officially released (all you can see of it is a video someone took of it off the screen at a convention in the 90's that isn't the best). It was so great that they gave him the Tom Zarek role later on and turned him into an intriguing character. 

Along with Axanar (and who knows if anymore was done with him after the trailer), Hatch does have another Trek connection of sorts as he plays a guest star of the week type role in what is the last episode of New Voyages in what is a sequel to For the World is Hollow..., but aside from a trailer tacked on at the end of the last episode, I have never heard anything about when and if it will be released (it's obviously completed) as it was made clear (even before the Axanar lawsuit) that NV would be no more.

One of my all time favorite moments of BSG is the final 15 minutes of the original's War of the Gods. I think it's quite applicable now with Hatch leaving us.I invite you to find it and watch.

That stinks.  Pancreatic cancer is the most devastating form to my knowledge.  He even appeared in some Star Trek fan films.  Sorry to hear.

I met him at a convention in 2014 where he talked about new BSG and some about then new Axanar trivia. He was cool. He will be missed.

Very nicely written.

I'm still stung by his passing. I think because he was a true fan and it seems like people that were a part of something like that, on some level, it was "just a job."

But he loved BSG and sci-fi. Truly.

Edited by prometheus59650