Valfal2

New fan! Want to get to know everyone ☺️

21 posts in this topic

Hello everyone. This is my first post and want to get to know everyone quickly.

So what is everyone's most preferred Star Trek generation, the old or more recent?

Or could anyone share their greatest moment being a Star Trek fan?

Really hope to get a response - i am open to other opinions or experiences you may have on Star Trek.

Thanks! 🙂

Welcome to the party, next round's on you.  Ales all around!

As the oldest guy around, I witnessed some of TOS first run but was impossibly busy with University and work so only really got hooked by TNG.  My order of preference is TNG, Enterprise, DS9, TOS and Voyager bringing up the rear.  My apostasy is that I prefer Babylon 5 slightly above any of the Trek series.  (Please be tolerant.)  You'll see a lot of diverging opinions here, but this is probably the most agreeable forum around.  Trolls don't last long at the Omega Sector.

Greetings!  Welcome to the Omega Sector!  Hope you enjoy it here.

My preferred series is probably Deep Space Nine, followed by TNG as a close second.  However, I like each of the series for one thing or another.

Greatest moment?  Visiting the set of Deep Space Nine when it was in production.

Enjoy!

Welcome.

Big fan of all Trek, though TOS and DS9 are easily tops for me.

Greatest moment was being the third to last to get Nimoy's autograph and to chat with him for a few moments. Wonderful, wonderful soul.

Welcome aboard!

The 90s Era was my intro to Trek really, TOS reruns, the original 6 films, and TNG first run.  Got really into DS9 as a college student.  I've enjoyed 2/3 of the new movies, and looking forward to the new series coming this year. 

Hello everyone. This is my first post and want to get to know everyone quickly.

So what is everyone's most preferred Star Trek generation, the old or more recent?

Or could anyone share their greatest moment being a Star Trek fan?

Really hope to get a response - i am open to other opinions or experiences you may have on Star Trek.

Thanks! 🙂

I took the liberty of deleting your presumed accidental double-post of your greeting. 

Welcome to Trekcore at OS! 

Favorite ST?  I like some of this and some of that.  I don't really like to pit old against new because to me it's all under the same umbrella.  DS9 would probably get my vote for the most consistently excellent ST, but I love it all.   Yes, even the Animated Series (see: my avatar).

Greatest moment of being a ST fan?  Meeting Leonard Nimoy at Comic Con 2009.  I was a bit starstruck, I'm not ashamed to admit. 

Also attending the 50th anniversary Star Trek convention in Las Vegas last year; I had a blast.   I also very fondly recall staying at the Hilton in Vegas back in 2001 and in 2003 when they had the "Star Trek Experience" based there; that was about as close to living in the 24th century for a weekend as one could have.

Hello Valfal, nice to meet you! :)

Hm, which are your favorite and least favorite Trek shows?

My favorites are TOS, TNG and DS9. I can't decide which I like most. They are like three acts of a play, TOS opened the stage, TNG took it one step further, and DS9 concluded it.

TOS has the biggest nostalgic value for me, TNG has the most outstanding actors (especially with Patrick Stewart and Brent Spiner) and standalone stories, while DS9 is the most sophisticated show with the most intriguing character interactions and developments.

I did my best to like VOY, but didn't manage to. Too many wasted oppurtunities. So VOY is my least favorite (though I like the "relaunch" novels by Kirsten Beyer).

ENT was a mixed bag IMO, but I like it more than VOY, albeit not quite as much as the first three shows. At least it has more relatable characters than VOY. And season 4 is really great.

My greatest Star Trek experience? Hm, not sure... I guess back in 1994, when a private channel here in Germany decided to run all remaining 95 TNG episodes that hadn't aired before, plus the first two seasons of DS9 -- all within the same year, 1994. I was really in heaven back then! :)

But I guess I have to think a little harder, perhaps there are more interesting Trek experiences for me.

Edited by Sim

Welcome to the board. 

I"m more into the later 24th century trek series than the 23rd century (including 22nd century for Enterprise) trek series.    I have never watched The Original Series.   

My most favorite trek series is Star Trek: The Next Generation and Star Trek: Voyager.  

I liked Deep Space Nine (not really among my favorite)...didn't care much for season 1 and 2  since it had a slow start.  Season 3 was starting to get better.  I liked season 3 to 7 more.   

Did watch Star Trek: Enterprise (which came after Star Trek: Voyager) which was a pre-federation star trek series that took place 5/6 years before the foundation of the Federation.  I didn't care much for Enterprise but I did like the borg episode and did watch the final episode in season 4.  

Hey there! Garak here! As my name says, Ds9 is probably my favourite, also followed closely by TNG, but I'm a fan of all of Trek in general, Enterprise included.

Greatest moment as a fan? I would have to think about it, possibibly watching Trek for the first time ever on teathers, that was awesome.

My favorite Star Trek would have to be Deep Space Nine.  I really did not like it nearly as much as TNG during its first three seasons, but it won me over by the end.

Over time, my love of TNG has waned a little, so now my favorites are DS9, TOS, and TNG in that order. I enjoyed a great many things about Enterprise, particularly season 4.  The only series I actually abandoned was Voyager early in season 6.  I eventually watched the rest of those episodes years later, but I always found it to be incredibly dull and too "safe."  I enjoy Abrams Trek movies as well, and more than some of the old ones.  I applaud him for revitalizing interest for yet another generation of fans.

My greatest Trek moment would have to be Christmas of 1990 when my grandparents got me the Star Trek I through V box set on VHS.  The next five days were the pinnacle of my Star Trek excitement.  It left me absolutely starving to see Star Trek VI, which ended up being my favorite film of all!  

A close second was watching "The Best of Both Worlds" cliffhanger.  The only time I can honestly say I wanted summer to end!

Moved to Introductions and Celebrations.

Welcome aboard!

I love TOS, TNG and DS9. Being contrary, I tend to think of TNG and DS9 as the same overlapping series.

Also like Enterprise probably more than it deserves. Much fun to be had with the movies, also.

Not that keen on Voyager, but it's all Star Trek, ain't it?

Welcome aboard! Post long and prosper.

My favorite Trek is DS9. I like them all, although I have to admit that some of VOY is tough going. At its best it's great, but the great episodes are, IMO, few and far between. I tend to prefer long story arcs over episodic shows, so VOY makes me feel like it was a missed opportunity.

I'm also a fan of well-made fan productions, such as Star Trek: Horizon and Star Trek Continues (see my avatar).

2 hours ago, Rouge Rhino 9 said:

Hey man just got here myself... Hi

Welcome aboard Rogue Rhino 9!   Post often and prosper!  

Welcome to the omega sector, my fave season of star trek is TOS and DS9 (I also love VOY)

Growing up I watched TNG and Voyager. I was too young for TOS and only watched all of the episodes as of a few years ago.

I tried getting into DS9 but I found myself disliking some of the main characters (Sisko, Jadzia, Odo, Julian and Kira) and was especially turned off by the religious plot threads. I marathoned the entire DS9 series recently and while I appreciated it more, I'm still not that particularly fond of the show.

I tuned out Enterprise during the original run but rewatched it on Netflix. Again, with that show it's a character problem for me, I just didn't like T'Pol or Archer. Archer became too much of a Bush analog while I felt T'Pol's character was just off somehow. Being a big TNG fan, I found Voyager to be somewhat more of a continuation of that format so I was able to forgive some of the cardboard characters. The characters I didn't like on that show weren't of much consequence, Neelix and Kes. 

Welcome Valfal2 and Rouge Rhino 9!  We're glad to have you aboard.

Rouge Rhino 9, I had to smile at your "Sir, we are receiving 285,000 hails....." signature.  Spam is prevalent in any era.