Sign in to follow this  
Maltz

Mirror universe Regent

Maltz   

It's in the later Mirror Universe episodes of DS9 that we meet Regent Worf, an extremely high-ranking figure within the Klingon-Cardassian Alliance. In the DARK PASSIONS novel duology by Susan Wright (Some of my favourite Trek fiction, BTW), it's shown that the Regent is effectively the supreme overlord of the Alliance, outranking even the Chancellor of the Klingon High Council and the Cardassian Legate. In this regard, it seems as though the position of Alliance Regent is roughly analogous to that of the President of the United Federation of Planets. Does this make sense to anyone else? If so, how would such a position have come about?

By its very title, 'regent' suggests regal; monarchical, such as a king or queen.  Not a president.  An old-style monarch whose very word became law.  Not so with a president.

How it came about?  I would say it came about by the usual system of Klingon attrition; assassination.  Regent Worf probably killed those in line ahead of him.  Hence, Regent Worf.

Maltz   

Is the Dark Passions take on the position tenable though, with the Regent ruling the entire Alliance?

Is the Dark Passions take on the position tenable though, with the Regent ruling the entire Alliance?

Never read "Dark Passions"; I only know what I know from the series.   Sorry. 

Maltz   

Someone here must have. Outside the TV episodes, they're among my favourite portrayals of the MU.

Sign in to follow this