Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
seane

Construction of the USS Enterprise begins

5 posts in this topic

The thought going through my mind is how the COST of this Enterprise could've put us a lot further on a real path toward a Star Trek-like future; that massive amount of money spent on yet another aircraft carrier could've been part of an international trip to Mars, or it could'be given scholarships to hundreds of thousands of young engineers or future physicists or doctors.  Let alone food or healthcare for the underprivileged. 

I mean, we already have 16 aircraft carriers; 11 of which are actually qualified as full carriers... Russia has two, China has one.  Another very expensive carrier is really the wrong thing at the wrong time.  It's like buying Jay Leno another classic car for his collection when the guy down the street hitchhikes to work every day...

The thought going through my mind is how the COST of this Enterprise could've put us a lot further on a real path toward a Star Trek-like future; that massive amount of money spent on yet another aircraft carrier could've been part of an international trip to Mars, or it could'be given scholarships to hundreds of thousands of young engineers or future physicists or doctors.  Let alone food or healthcare for the underprivileged. 

I mean, we already have 16 aircraft carriers; 11 of which are actually qualified as full carriers... Russia has two, China has one.  Another very expensive carrier is really the wrong thing at the wrong time.  It's like buying Jay Leno another classic car for his collection when the guy down the street hitchhikes to work every day...

But some of those carriers are getting old and reaching the end of their useful life as a ship. CVN 80 Enterprise will replace the Eisenhower, which is the second of the Nimitz class and is now pushing 40 years old. That's a lot of time for flexing and corrosion in a hull, plus the buildup of radioactive residues. So this isn't "one more" as opposed to "replacing what you have".

But some of those carriers are getting old and reaching the end of their useful life as a ship. CVN 80 Enterprise will replace the Eisenhower, which is the second of the Nimitz class and is now pushing 40 years old. That's a lot of time for flexing and corrosion in a hull, plus the buildup of radioactive residues. So this isn't "one more" as opposed to "replacing what you have".

The Ronald Reagan was put to sea only a decade or so ago.  And there are still plenty of other good ships out there that would be cheaper to service and upgrade rather than scrap.  CVN 80 is projected to cost nearly 13 billion (!!) dollars.  Just think of what that kind of money earmarked for ONE of those could do for just about any other cause....

Especially considering that we have at least 11 more full carriers as well.  It's a bit crazy.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0