Sign in to follow this  
GustavoLeao

Why DS9 and VOY Aren’t On Blu-ray

Why Deep Space Nine and Voyager Aren’t On Blu-ray… And Why They May Never Be

If you’ve ever wondered about Deep Space Nine and Voyager on Blu-ray, sit back and relax and read TrekNews.net in-depth interview with Robert Meyer Burnett,who provides an enormous amount of detailed information that will most likely answer all of them

If you’ve ever wondered about Deep Space Nine and Voyager on Blu-ray, sit back and relax and read TrekNews.net in-depth interview with Robert Meyer Burnett,who provides an enormous amount of detailed information that will most likely answer all of them

Good article, Gus.

Clarifies a lot of what I assumed were the problems in remastering DS9 (and VGR) to blu ray (cost vs. return being the biggest reason).   

I've already resolved that, if I win Powerball, I'm going to front CBS the $20M to do a DS9 remaster in return for executive producer credit on the jackets. 

Nothing really new there but it's great to have this reference from now on whenever someone asks why DS9 and VOY aren't on Blu Ray "but ENT is and that show was the least popular". I do hope that, one day, they will decide to do DS9 and VOY as well (yes there ARE fans of VOY and they do deserve it on Blu Ray just as the Niners deserve their show). Small hope, I know, but still. It's also heartbreaking that they did so much work and put so much effort into restoring TNG and thanks to streaming services people now just take it all for granted. I've encountered younger fans who had no idea that TNG went through this process, they simply assumed it had always been this way.

Good article, Gus.

Clarifies a lot of what I assumed were the problems in remastering DS9 (and VGR) to blu ray (cost vs. return being the biggest reason).   

Thanks.

It answers a lot of questions.

Gus

kenman   

I pretty much new most of the info, but it is a good detailed explanation of events as they currently are.  I know at this point it is a pipe dream, but I really do hope that DS9 gets remastered someday.  Voyager would be good for fans of that show, but I think DS9 holds up so well in terms of storytelling, and I think cleaned up and rerendered in HD, it could still be a big hit on something like All Access. But, alas, it may not be meant to be. 

I think Ds9, and Voyager still hold up visually. It's Babylon 5 that badly needs a remaster/ new effects.Hard to believe Ds9 and B5 had the same cgi effects company. Ds9 holds up so much better.

I think Ds9, and Voyager still hold up visually. It's Babylon 5 that badly needs a remaster/ new effects.Hard to believe Ds9 and B5 had the same cgi effects company. Ds9 holds up so much better.

Just all about the budget. B5 really didn't have much of one.

Nothing really new there but it's great to have this reference from now on whenever someone asks why DS9 and VOY aren't on Blu Ray "but ENT is and that show was the least popular". I do hope that, one day, they will decide to do DS9 and VOY as well (yes there ARE fans of VOY and they do deserve it on Blu Ray just as the Niners deserve their show). Small hope, I know, but still. It's also heartbreaking that they did so much work and put so much effort into restoring TNG and thanks to streaming services people now just take it all for granted. I've encountered younger fans who had no idea that TNG went through this process, they simply assumed it had always been this way.

This

Dillkid   

Later DS9 and Voyager don't look too bad on a HD TV, but the first two or three seasons of DS9 look terrible now days. If you go from beautiful HD TNG to early DS9 VHS transfers it's very hard to ajust. 

On 2/3/2017 at 9:47 AM, prometheus59650 said:

Just all about the budget. B5 really didn't have much of one.

Not just that, but B5 opted to use CGI even where CGI wasn't very reliable. DS9's early CGI is fairly silly-looking today (watch Odo in the pilot) but the model work still holds up.

42 minutes ago, Dillkid said:

Later DS9 and Voyager don't look too bad on a HD TV, but the first two or three seasons of DS9 look terrible now days. If you go from beautiful HD TNG to early DS9 VHS transfers it's very hard to ajust. 

Part of that was the director of photography of DS9’s early seasons (as well as TNG’s S3-5) Marvin Rush; for some reason, his handsome, meticulous cinematography (made more apparent on the TNG blu rays) sort of fell apart when transferred to analog tape for broadcast.  It got very mushy and soft-focused.   Jonathan West, his replacement, didn’t seem to have as much of a problem with this, but Rush’s work was vulnerable for some reason.

I used to wonder why TNG and early DS9 looked so crappy in broadcast.   When I saw the TNG BRs, I was shocked.  They looked gorgeous.   Apparently that was the look that the actors and studio guys saw when they screened episodes on the Paramount lot.   But when converted to 3/4” tape for broadcast, all of that resolution, color, contrast and crispness just evaporated.   It’s damn near a crime that the show looked as bad for as long as it did.

I know we’ll probably never see BR full seasons of DS9 or VGR but I’m loved to see maybe even just the pilots and finales of those shows converted as special standalone BR singles (similar to the single disc TNG two-parter discs) someday.

10 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Part of that was the director of photography of DS9’s early seasons (as well as TNG’s S3-5) Marvin Rush; for some reason, his handsome, meticulous cinematography (made more apparent on the TNG blu rays) sort of fell apart when transferred to analog tape for broadcast.  It got very mushy and soft-focused.   Jonathan West, his replacement, didn’t seem to have as much of a problem with this, but Rush’s work was vulnerable for some reason.

I used to wonder why TNG and early DS9 looked so crappy in broadcast.   When I saw the TNG BRs, I was shocked.  They looked gorgeous.   Apparently that was the look that the actors and studio guys saw when they screened episodes on the Paramount lot.   But when converted to 3/4” tape for broadcast, all of that resolution, color, contrast and crispness just evaporated.   It’s damn near a crime that the show looked as bad for as long as it did.

I know we’ll probably never see BR full seasons of DS9 or VGR but I’m loved to see maybe even just the pilots and finales of those shows converted as special standalone BR singles (similar to the single disc TNG two-parter discs) someday.

I'm hoping we may yet get DS9 on blu-ray, but with upscaled FX sequences. It'd still be a job, but a far less expensive one that's the TNG blu-rays. Failing that, a few special episodes as you suggest would be something, at least. 

Sign in to follow this