Sign in to follow this  
GustavoLeao

Ben Affleck no longer directing The Batman

Ben Affleck Steps Down As THE BATMAN Director; Will Stay On Board As Producer & Star

Here's a bombshell to take you into Tuesday as it's being reported that Ben Affleck has officially decided to step down as director of The Batman and will now only remain as the producer and star.

They probably tried forcing him to get that movie released before he was good and ready. He said he wouldn't direct the film if they didn't allow him to do it when he felt it was good.

Doesn't bode well.   Affleck is a fine director, and he has the clout NOT to attach his name to an unworthy project.  Guessing that may be the case here.  Only guessing, of course. 

kenman   

As Affleck was originally enthusiastic about the gig, and then began to say things like he may not do it if it isn't something he believes in...I would guess the compromise and changes and, frankly, probably crap story elements made him just say "I'm out." I see no reason to jump back into DC for a while now.

As Affleck was originally enthusiastic about the gig, and then began to say things like he may not do it if it isn't something he believes in...I would guess the compromise and changes and, frankly, probably crap story elements made him just say "I'm out." I see no reason to jump back into DC for a while now.

I fail to understand what Snyder has done over there to gain such fanatical support among the suits.

I fail to understand what Snyder has done over there to gain such fanatical support among the suits.

Has he ever done anything that really is noteworthy and worthy of respect? I can't think of anything.

Has he ever done anything that really is noteworthy and worthy of respect? I can't think of anything.

People gush over Watchmen, but I found it bloated and dull.

I liked "300," but it wasn't some watershed bit of cinema, and every film he's made since still feels like "300." So I really don't get it.

kenman   

I liked "300," but it wasn't some watershed bit of cinema, and every film he's made since still feels like "300." So I really don't get it.

Never liked Watchmen either, 300 I enjoyed the first time but I have had no interest in revisiting it...his Dawn of the Dead remake gets a lot of praise even from his many detractors, but it never did much for me (though I have thought if revisiting it), and beyond that he just makes overstylized schlock.  I assume what he has done to earn favor with WB suits...is make billions of dollars.

Comic book fans and critics can bash the movies all they want, but as long as those silly fanboys and fangirls keep shelling out their money? You aren't going to get the movie you actually want to see.

Oh yeah, I forgot "Watchmen" and "300". :giggle: I thought they were overrated myself.

My guess is Zack Snyder making them hundreds of millions of dollars makes the WB studio keep him there, even if the stories are half baked and half good. He's like a comic book Michael Bay, whereas he is all flash and show and confused about characters and their origins. I didn't hate his adaptations last summer, but he should have known and should have done better. Superman was quite wrong. Lex was ridiculous. Batman does not kill. That kind of thing. The style of the films were very cool, but the stories were kind of weak.

Affleck must have seen the script and bailed. Maybe it was all hearsay in regards to stuff like casting Slade/Killshot as the villain, and Keaton in the role, and Keaton also balked. Still Keaton would be pretty cool as a baddie. Affleck probably had more faith in the idea than an actual story.

It looks like Justice League is going to be more action slash and dark brooding heroes, because that's in or something.

It seems the DC film department is not using their own talent, as they could get the people that write their far better animated DVD releases to do something. It all smacks of studio interference and some kind of obsession over Hot Topic style villains and an attempt to 'copy Marvel' without knowing 'how Marvel did it' and not willing to ask them.

Just as well then that there might not be a Batman in this new brooding universe in a single film. If Affleck even bails the acting gig in it, then it must have really, really been a poor script.

Doesn't look good but was he going to write as well? I think that's his strength for this overall franchise. He is a superhero nerd. I think that's where his love for this stuff would have paid off. 

Affleck is such a Bat-fan, why he let Batman kill a lot of people in BvS ? It appears he was gonna kill Superman too, which is completely out of character.

Batman does not kill, Ben.

Maybe this chance was for teh good of the character.

Gus

Affleck is such a Bat-fan, why he let Batman kill a lot of people in BvS ? It appears he was gonna kill Superman too, which is completely out of character.

Batman does not kill, Ben.

Maybe this chance was for teh good of the character.

Gus

No, it isn't. Because Affleck actually seems to care about the character, which puts him ahead of Warner and DC.

More crap from Warner Bros :

BATMAN v SUPERMAN And JUSTICE LEAGUE Scribe Has Reportedly Rewritten THE BATMAN

With Ben Affleck deciding to step down as the director of The Batman, it now appears as if the filmmaker has also decided to take a step back in terms of serving as the movie's co-writer as well. Batman Vs Superman writer ??? Oh dear God.

More crap from Warner Bros :

BATMAN v SUPERMAN And JUSTICE LEAGUE Scribe Has Reportedly Rewritten THE BATMAN

With Ben Affleck deciding to step down as the director of The Batman, it now appears as if the filmmaker has also decided to take a step back in terms of serving as the movie's co-writer as well. Batman Vs Superman writer ??? Oh dear God.

Again. DC?

S^%$t show.

Ridiculous. And I've read articles where unnamed DC suits don't understand how Marvel, even if everything isn't a billion seller, manages not to lose.

Because they get their characters and know what the audience wants to see from them. Again, Captain America is a better Superman than Superman.

kenman   

Gus, I think the problem is that Affleck was NOT writing the character. He signed up because he was given an opportunity to PLAY one of his heroes.  It was a shot.  I doubt he had much creative control, and he could maybe voice his opposition to shooting people and all that...but he could've been shot down by Snyder, or the board that actually make these soulless movies vetoed him.  Affleck was a hired hand, so maybe he had no choice in the shooting angle. Or he justified it to himself because it was an older scarred Batman that had seen a Robin died.  Who knows. But I think he is a talented writer/director, and even with the objection from many about the violence of Batman (via guns and murder), I have heard more praise than criticism for his performance.  With complete creative control, he may have had a shot at making a solid Batman movie.  That is now something we will never know. 

It should be noted that I have yet to even bother with BvS, what I know of the movie is purely through osmosis.

The BvS extended cut explains more, but so far I have not slugged through the almost 3 hour version. I saw the first twice, once on a special screening. My first review might be tainted by the fact that it was a special screening. (I've seen a lot of Disney and Marvel movies that way too). Even so, it was half a good movie.

So was SS. It just needed a rewrite and no studio interference. If Affleck wasn't good with the script, it was probably not a good script, as we know he can write some good stuff, Oscar worthy stuff even. He also did some of the comics art, so he totally knows Batman. It seemed too good to be true, or at least, jumping the gun, so to speak, and they didn't actually have a good story. If they got the JLA guy, esh, more of the same. Now if they got the animated JLU writers, what would have been acceptable. Although JLU is brooding it is at least good in spirit. Also if it was a bad script, a good actor can sometimes rise above it, and that half a good movie was usually Affleck in the flick.

The studio really only cares about the money, and if it makes money, they're happy. That might be the case with most studios, not just WB. The audience will buy tickets even if you chuck up some colorful barf onto the screen as art sometimes, and if that makes them money, they are okay with it. The difference seems to be that the Marvel audience tends to be family friendly, all ages but still comic book or fantasy lovers, going to a broad end, whereas the DC movie crowd seems angrier and less family friendly and more fringe, the disenchanted fans that dislike most other fantasy. Maybe the suits are looking to drawn in those who, gasp, dislike Marvel? That's not a good plan.

The DC did kind of blow it with Killing Joke this past year also, but per special screening, it was supposed to be liked because it was dark or different. Marvel is liked because it is fun and has similar stories, repeating the classic theme of a team rising above to stop a big bad.

No, I was wrong on Keaton, as he will be in Spider Man Homecoming, not in the Batman, and he is playing the villain. It seems it was a fan rumor. It would have been a little too perfect if they cast a former Batman as a villain, although if they do get someone to be Slade, they should not cast another trendy Game of Thrones guy (never seen any of GoT but still) and have it be Kevin Spacey, because that guy is a good villain.

Edited by Chimera82405

Gus, I think the problem is that Affleck was NOT writing the character. He signed up because he was given an opportunity to PLAY one of his heroes.  It was a shot.  I doubt he had much creative control, and he could maybe voice his opposition to shooting people and all that...but he could've been shot down by Snyder, or the board that actually make these soulless movies vetoed him.  Affleck was a hired hand, so maybe he had no choice in the shooting angle. Or he justified it to himself because it was an older scarred Batman that had seen a Robin died.  Who knows. But I think he is a talented writer/director, and even with the objection from many about the violence of Batman (via guns and murder), I have heard more praise than criticism for his performance.  With complete creative control, he may have had a shot at making a solid Batman movie.  That is now something we will never know. 

It should be noted that I have yet to even bother with BvS, what I know of the movie is purely through osmosis.

I think he is talented, and he wanted a shot at his own take on it and, judging by his own words and some of the actions at Warner suggested that he wanted to rehabilitate the character from BvS.

Damn shame.

scenario   

I loved Watchmen. But Watchmen was an anti comic book. It shouldn't really be used as the model for a comic book series. It's too dark and pessimistic. 

Affleck is now rumored to be stepping away from the role all together. Recasting would be pathetic at this point

Lets hope its only a net rumor

Gus

Affleck is now rumored to be stepping away from the role all together. Recasting would be pathetic at this point

Lets hope its only a net rumor

Gus

Yeah, because the internet is just chock full o' truthiness... :P

Kevin Spacey, because that guy is a good villain.

Spacey is a great actor, but all wrong for Slade. Part of the character is his amazing fighting skills, and Spacey doesn't have that imposing nature to pull that off physically.  I wonder how many people will think that Slade Wilson is a ripoff of Deadpool, which it's the exact opposite.

Some people are crazy.......and just plain dumb......................LOL

A Petition Has Been Started For JUSTICE LEAGUE Director Zack Snyder To Take The Helm Of THE BATMAN

With Ben Affleck now confirmed to no longer direct The Batman, the hunt for a new filmmaker to take over has begun, but many fans would like to see Zack Snyder take charge of the Dark Knight's world. Arghhhhh.

I loved Watchmen. But Watchmen was an anti comic book. It shouldn't really be used as the model for a comic book series. It's too dark and pessimistic. 

Agreed. Agreed. Agreed!!!

Sign in to follow this