Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GustavoLeao

Benedict Cumberbatch’s Khan Returns in STAR TREK/GREEN LANTERN #2

21 posts in this topic

This is all sorts of things I have no interest in coming together!

It's Trek and Green Lantern all mashed up. Nothing about it makes sense to start with.

I like the Kelvin universe Khan and would hope to see him again, but not like this, gee...

IMO the resurrection of Khan was one of the least successful ideas of the Kelvin ST movies; he was miscast and was played as "Jason Bourne in Space" rather than Khan Noonien Singh.  

Nothing against Benedict Cumberbatch, whom I love in just about everything else he does (esp. "Sherlock"; one of my favorite shows).   But I'd be okay with never seeing (or reading) about his Khan again; especially mixed with the goofy Green Lantern canon.

Apologies to any and all GL fans, but my view of that franchise is forever tainted by that godawful 2011 movie.   That was one of the worst big budget franchise movies I'd seen in the last 10 years.  

I don't necessarily have something against Green Lantern, lame movie notwithstanding, I actually think it is one of the more unique superhero concepts. It is complex and weird, which is why it will forever struggle to make a movie work.  But I have never liked crossovers between vastly different universes.

IMO the resurrection of Khan was one of the least successful ideas of the Kelvin ST movies; he was miscast and was played as "Jason Bourne in Space" rather than Khan Noonien Singh.  

Nothing against Benedict Cumberbatch, whom I love in just about everything else he does (esp. "Sherlock"; one of my favorite shows).   But I'd be okay with never seeing (or reading) about his Khan again; especially mixed with the goofy Green Lantern canon.

Apologies to any and all GL fans, but my view of that franchise is forever tainted by that godawful 2011 movie.   That was one of the worst big budget franchise movies I'd seen in the last 10 years.  

Well the original Khan has always been somewhat overated in my opinion. I like The Wrath of Khan, but it's not the best Trek movie of all and I consider Khan to be a pretty weak villain, who's motivation was purely revange, in contrast to other villains like Dukat or even general Chang that had true ideals behind their bad guyness.

Edited by Garak the spy

Well the original Khan has always been somewhat overated in my opinion. I like The Wrath of Khan, but it's not the best Trek movie of all and I consider Khan to be a pretty weak villain, who's motivation was purely revange, in contrast to other villains like Dukat or even general Chang that had true ideals behind their bad guyness.

^
Can't argue with Khan being overrated (original or new Khan).  He's basically a one-note tyrant.   Personally, I agree that Chang and especially Dukat are far superior adversaries.  In post-TWOK fan mythology, Khan has been built up as Star Trek's Darth Vader, but that's just not so.   Even Nomad, Gary Mitchell, Charlie Evans or the Doomsday Machine were far more challenging.

I agree that Montalban gave it his all, but the character really isn't THAT interesting to me personally.  I like TWOK for many reasons, but Khan isn't the movie's biggest draw for me.   

I like TWOK for many reasons, but Khan isn't the movie's biggest draw for me.   

It's pretty much THE place for Kirk's character development. It adds a nuance and depth of emotion to the man that even TUC doesn't touch.

I like TWOK for many reasons, but Khan isn't the movie's biggest draw for me.   

It's pretty much THE place for Kirk's character development. It adds a nuance and depth of emotion to the man that even TUC doesn't touch.

It is inarguably Shatner's finest outing as James T. Kirk, I agree.  And Spock's death scene still makes me misty-eyed after nearly 35 years. 

And Spock's death scene still makes me misty-eyed after nearly 35 years. 

I watched a friend die in a very real way, if not a literal one. It always moves me. 

I after watching Cumberbatch in DOCTOR STRANGE, I take back all the bad things i said about him because of his performance as khan. The guy is  agenius !

Gus

Heck - I cried on KIrk's death in GENERATIONS,True story. I was very sad when GENERATIONS opened, family problems and such.

I after watching Cumberbatch in DOCTOR STRANGE, I take back all the bad things i said about him because of his performance as khan. The guy is  agenius !

Gus

Heck - I cried on KIrk's death in GENERATIONS,True story. I was very sad when GENERATIONS opened, family problems and such.

Cumberbatch was not the problem with STID; STID was the problem with STID.

Cumberbatch has been brilliant in pretty much everything I've seen him in; it's not his fault that he was miscast as Khan.  It's a bit like Neil Patrick Harris playing Othello, or Meryl Streep playing Penny in The Big Bang Theory.  

Good actor, wrong role...

Ugh.   The poorly reimagined Khan meets one of my least-favorite DC heroes... Thanks, but no thanks.  I think I need to clip my toenails instead. ;)

That cover just looks a mess.

And there are parts of the Cumberkhan performance that work for me. That smooth oratory lends itself to menace. And I do like the movie despite its every flaw because the chemistry of the crew holds it together.

But I laugh at the hammy absurdity of "My name....is...Khaaaaaaaaan" every time.

Spock's scream isn't much better. He should have just silently put his fist through a console or something.

Edited by prometheus59650

That cover just looks a mess.

And there are parts of the Cumberkhan performance that work for me. That smooth oratory lends itself to menace. And I do like the movie despite its every flaw because the chemistry of the crew holds it together.

But I laugh at the hammy absurdity of "My name....is...Khaaaaaaaaan" every time.

Spock's scream isn't much better. He should have just silently put his fist through a console or something.

I agree that Cumberbatch's marvelous oratory is very easy on the ears, but I just didn't feel the character of Khan Noonian Singh; differing circumstances or not.  Cumberbatch is a classic case of a wonderful actor who is just miscast for a certain role.   

And yes, that 'revelation' scene actually elicited groans and chuckles when we first saw it; it doesn't get any better on repeated viewings either.  

As for Green Lantern?  I was never much of a fan of the comics (my wife is; again, I'm more Marvel than she is) but that movie so soured me on the franchise that I just have no inclination to waste any moment in my remaining years giving it another try.  

And the idea of combining it with ST sounds about as smart as chocolate sauce over fried salmon.

And yes, that 'revelation' scene actually elicited groans and chuckles when we first saw it; it doesn't get any better on repeated viewings either.  

Someone threw out the idea not long after the movie came out that they should have paid Montalban's estate to CGI his face into the pod next to Khan, then you might have and interesting point of conjecture as to why he'd lie.It certainly would have gotten rid of a lot of the loathing for putting him in the role.

And, yeah, these crossovers almost never work.

Someone threw out the idea not long after the movie came out that they should have paid Montalban's estate to CGI his face into the pod next to Khan, then you might have and interesting point of conjecture as to why he'd lie.It certainly would have gotten rid of a lot of the loathing for putting him in the role.

The IDW crossover of ST and Planet of the Apes by the Tiptons was amusing, but inconsequential.  Not bad for a quick diverting little read, though...

The IDW crossover of ST and Planet of the Apes by the Tiptons was amusing, but inconsequential.  Not bad for a quick diverting little read, though...

I'm fine if they're a bit empty and throwaway, but to put together some of these very disparate franchises it just so strains everything that I can't suspend disbelief even for a comic book. 

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0