Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GustavoLeao

James Cameron to Reboot TERMINATOR Franchise

28 posts in this topic

James Cameron To Reboot TERMINATOR Franchise; DEADPOOL Helmer Tim Miller Will Direct

With the rights to Terminator set to return to James Cameron in 2019, the Avatar helmer is looking to reboot the franchise alongside Deadpool director Tim Miller.

James Cameron To Reboot TERMINATOR Franchise; DEADPOOL Helmer Tim Miller Will Direct

With the rights to Terminator set to return to James Cameron in 2019, the Avatar helmer is looking to reboot the franchise alongside Deadpool director Tim Miller.

Yes but do we really NEED this?

Well, we NEED oxygen, water, food and shelter. Anything beyond that, not really. :P

No seriously, if it's going to happen, I'm going to watch, and if it's any good, good for us... but I won't hold my breath.

It's nothing I think the world is waiting for, but if the end product is decent? Sure, why not. IMO.

Well, we NEED oxygen, water, food and shelter. Anything beyond that, not really. :P

No seriously, if it's going to happen, I'm going to watch, and if it's any good, good for us... but I won't hold my breath.

It's nothing I think the world is waiting for, but if the end product is decent? Sure, why not. IMO.

If James Cameron is ACTIVELY involved, I might watch.  If he's on the sidelines checking his Facebook while others do the heavy lifting, I won't bother.

The Terminator story has been told to death frankly.   I loved the first two movies (and enjoyed parts of 3), as well as the SCC TV series, but it's been done.  Nothing new to see, beyond another fruitless reboot. 

If James Cameron is ACTIVELY involved, I might watch.  If he's on the sidelines checking his Facebook while others do the heavy lifting, I won't bother.

The Terminator story has been told to death frankly.   I loved the first two movies (and enjoyed parts of 3), as well as the SCC TV series, but it's been done.  Nothing new to see, beyond another fruitless reboot. 

I'm okay with the same story being told over and over again, when it's really well done (think of Star Wars). But that's the crucial point... can they at least make the presentation appear fresh somehow?

Another problem, I guess, is Arnold. I can't imagine the movie to be half as interesting without him. And he's not in his 30s anymore. So yeah, I'm not sure we really need it either, when I think about it.

Edited by Sim

I don't need any more Terminator. Cameron made a fine ending to the "series" in T2. Anything beyond that is pointless to me.  I don't need it fixed, because Judgement Day and Skynet were averted at the end of T2, and I need no more story trying to milk it for a bit more money.  Even that second movie is the same basic plot, but at least it was done well. I'm good. Cameron has proved himself and increasingly bloated and uninteresting filmmaker to me these days...so pass.

Hell, this is the age of Trump and the impending doom that goes with it. Wanna reboot it? Make Skynet the good guy trying to save humanity from itself. If, in the end, a few million eggs have to be broken to do that? A machine would be cool with that.

Anything else is just the same take of half a dozen times before with new actors.

sigh.gif

sigh.gif

^
Best response yet...
:laugh:

Hell, this is the age of Trump and the impending doom that goes with it. Wanna reboot it? Make Skynet the good guy trying to save humanity from itself. If, in the end, a few million eggs have to be broken to do that? A machine would be cool with that.

Anything else is just the same take of half a dozen times before with new actors.

^ That's actually a pretty cool idea.

^ That's actually a pretty cool idea.

Thanks. I mean, we're polluting, destroying, have needless wars; the Skynet Project (some quantum consciousness created to make short work of climate change and the rest of the world's ils) sees all this and determines we're the problem and our own worst enemy. If the population can be pared down and "managed," they'd be fine. In the end, instead of the imagery of of the post-apocalypse, down the road, Skynet sees itself building a Utopia; a Garden of Eden for us with itself as a benevolent God. Humans, of course, have no interest in being managed.

Skynet still wants to kill most of humanity, but that way it has its own point of view, and I think it's sort of interesting to perhaps have the protagonist and the antagonist debating in some form and then to be able to look to Skynet and, "Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh, I see his point."

I'm not sure how you bring anything new to it otherwise. Machine hates humans, nukes fly, robot back in time so machine can win for machine's sake. Cameron would make a great, polished film, but without some kind of twist to the original plot, it's the same one I've seen five times already.

Edited by prometheus59650

That pretty much has always been what Skynet did though. It looked at humanity and went "what a scourge on the planet, will have to go."  And these days...Skynet doesn't seem too off though I do think it might have (just a smidge) taken it a little far. 

That pretty much has always been what Skynet did though. It looked at humanity and went "what a scourge on the planet, will have to go."  And these days...Skynet doesn't seem too off though I do think it might have (just a smidge) taken it a little far. 

There was really never any "why" to it though. And, it's a sentient machine that they tried to unplug, so, how much of all of that was just self-defense?

There was really never any "why" to it though. And, it's a sentient machine that they tried to unplug, so, how much of all of that was just self-defense?

I think Genysis was going to clumsily attempt to explore that in its sequels-that-never-were, but yeah, giving Skynet a REASON for causing Armageddon would be interesting fodder in a reboot.   But despite my general enjoyment of James Cameron movies (yes, even Titanic), he does tend to make his bad guys very one-dimensional.  This is a potential stumbling block in his involvement with a reboot...

He has always been more in love with polish than plot.

This is very interesting.  This isn't Star Wars, where somehow the creator got lost in the vision, and kind of lost what made it great.  This is a case where the creator stopped work, and the franchise failed. 

I feel that this franchise was so Arnold-centric that it would be hard to make it work without him, though who knows?

I bet if anyone can make a good Terminator movie, it would be the only one who actually DID make a good Terminator movie.

This is very interesting.  This isn't Star Wars, where somehow the creator got lost in the vision, and kind of lost what made it great.  This is a case where the creator stopped work, and the franchise failed. 

I feel that this franchise was so Arnold-centric that it would be hard to make it work without him, though who knows?

I bet if anyone can make a good Terminator movie, it would be the only one who actually DID make a good Terminator movie.

Cameron has gotten way too up his own butt for me to take him seriously anymore. And while I do enjoy T2 and used to think it was the superior of the two films (back when there were only two films and now when I just consider it a two film series), nowadays I look at the rougher grittier first film (in terms of style) with it's streamlined plot to actually be the better of the two.  Most of the things that are great about the sequel are just slightly more polished and sleeker versions of what came before.  It  has some sparks of greatness, but in the end it is a very sequel-y sequel.  Could Cameron do something to save a franchise that should be dead? Maybe...but I somehow doubt it. He gave is series a perfect ending...and since moving on with his career he has become even more bloated than he was on the massively expensive T2.

I just have my doubts, and I also don't want or need any new Terminator movie (Cameron or not).  The story was perfectly fine in one film, managed to do a decent enough twist (even if the basic plot points are the same) in the sequel...but the franchise has never really had enough meat to warrant return after return to it's story. They just make money, because dopes like a logo and things they've seen before.

Cameron has gotten way too up his own butt for me to take him seriously anymore. And while I do enjoy T2 and used to think it was the superior of the two films (back when there were only two films and now when I just consider it a two film series), nowadays I look at the rougher grittier first film (in terms of style) with it's streamlined plot to actually be the better of the two.  Most of the things that are great about the sequel are just slightly more polished and sleeker versions of what came before.  It  has some sparks of greatness, but in the end it is a very sequel-y sequel.  Could Cameron do something to save a franchise that should be dead? Maybe...but I somehow doubt it. He gave is series a perfect ending...and since moving on with his career he has become even more bloated than he was on the massively expensive T2.

I just have my doubts, and I also don't want or need any new Terminator movie (Cameron or not).  The story was perfectly fine in one film, managed to do a decent enough twist (even if the basic plot points are the same) in the sequel...but the franchise has never really had enough meat to warrant return after return to it's story. They just make money, because dopes like a logo and things they've seen before.

I don't count Cameron out just yet, because every time people do?  He comes around and surprises them with a new (if brief) global phenomenon.   He is a master of spectacle and strong (esp. female) characters.   I just wish he wouldn't waste his time or talents revisiting a 33 year old franchise.   Terminator just feels really tired right now. 

There's so much more he could be doing.

I said nothing about how much money it will make, it will make a gizillion and a half dollars...but I can't say they appeal to me much anymore.  Titanic, for all it's great technical achievements, and great visual presentation, has kind of bored me each time I've given it a whirl. On the other hand, it is probably my wife's favorite film (so I've tried a few times in the last decade or so).  Avatar, with all it's whizzing 3D and big cartoon visuals...bored me to tears. It lacked characters in my opinion...so on the "he makes strong characters" front, I must currently beg to differ.  It was all flash (flash I can find in the average Pixar film, which would have more heart), and had very little else. His last film I think I really had fun at was "True Lies" and even that is just a tad average action movie fun.

yawning....... reboots are old and boring, so what James Cameron to do another reboot of The Terminator Franchise who care's . in my opinion  this leads me to Believe Hollywood  has lost  its creativity. all they know is  the reboots of the different franchises  .  we need some  new  movie & T.V. franchise's  of  Instead of all the reboots of old T.V. and  movies that have been  rehashed  over and over again .

I said nothing about how much money it will make, it will make a gizillion and a half dollars...but I can't say they appeal to me much anymore.  Titanic, for all it's great technical achievements, and great visual presentation, has kind of bored me each time I've given it a whirl. On the other hand, it is probably my wife's favorite film (so I've tried a few times in the last decade or so).  Avatar, with all it's whizzing 3D and big cartoon visuals...bored me to tears. It lacked characters in my opinion...so on the "he makes strong characters" front, I must currently beg to differ.  It was all flash (flash I can find in the average Pixar film, which would have more heart), and had very little else. His last film I think I really had fun at was "True Lies" and even that is just a tad average action movie fun.

Well, I guess we just differ on "Titanic" and "Avatar"; I admit that Avatar wasn't his most original work ("Dances with Andorians") but there were (for me, at least) some strong, if admittedly cliched, characters.   Zoe Saldana acted the hell out of the CGI and gave a real performance.   Not his best, but I've seen far worse. 

And "Titanic" is a wonderful movie IMO.   My wife saw it when we were dating, so I assumed much of my attachment to it was sentimental.  But recently we bought the blu ray and it worked just as well as it did the first time I saw it.   

Cameron's characters in ALIENS, Terminator 1/2, True Lies and The Abyss were very memorable to me.   Even if Avatar is his only true miss, that's still a hell of a batting average for ANY filmmaker.  

That said?  I really think he's wasting his time with a Terminator reboot and the Avatar sequels. 

I love his early work, and the characters. Titanic doesn't have bad characters, but I've never found them particularly interesting. I don't remember ANY character in Avatar. It is really just his last two pictures I've not been fond of. For the record I think the Abyss is his finest hour, I'm not anti-Cameron...I just think now he is so focused on making giant bloated epics that take years to make and he spends huge amounts of money...but they seem to lack something that actually make me enjoy watching them. 

But he can make 10 Avatars and help reboot Terminator and I just wont care, he is no longer a filmmaker I expect greatness out of.

I love his early work, and the characters. Titanic doesn't have bad characters, but I've never found them particularly interesting. I don't remember ANY character in Avatar. It is really just his last two pictures I've not been fond of. For the record I think the Abyss is his finest hour, I'm not anti-Cameron...I just think now he is so focused on making giant bloated epics that take years to make and he spends huge amounts of money...but they seem to lack something that actually make me enjoy watching them. 

But he can make 10 Avatars and help reboot Terminator and I just wont care, he is no longer a filmmaker I expect greatness out of.

I agree that The Abyss is my favorite movie of his as well. 

For me, when Cameron is on, he's really on.  I thought Titanic was actually awesome.  I always was fascinated with the Titanic, and he really knocked it out of the park for me.  Sure, now we can analyze it and pick it apart, but watching it for the first time, it really was just a great story that did the impossible--made me like something that Leonardo DiCaprio did.  Of course, Rose should have just got on the damn boat or maybe moved over a bit so Jack could get on the damn door, but hey, it's a movie.

As for the Terminator movies he did, which is most relevant, he nailed both of them.

That said, I think Avatar was terrible.  If he turns Terminator into Avatar, which is to wait for ridiculously new technology, and then forcefeed his politics in the story, I won't like it.  I think Avatar was so bad, I have no desire to see the sequels.  The only character I liked was the colonel.

I would just hope that if he does taken on Terminator, he does it well, but I can't imagine him doing worse than the sequels without him.

For me, when Cameron is on, he's really on.  I thought Titanic was actually awesome.  I always was fascinated with the Titanic, and he really knocked it out of the park for me.  Sure, now we can analyze it and pick it apart, but watching it for the first time, it really was just a great story that did the impossible--made me like something that Leonardo DiCaprio did.  Of course, Rose should have just got on the damn boat or maybe moved over a bit so Jack could get on the damn door, but hey, it's a movie.

Agreed.

Despite the hate for it these days, I truly love "Titanic"; for me it's the definitive movie on the Titanic disaster (a close second would be 1958's "A Night To Remember").

As for the Terminator movies he did, which is most relevant, he nailed both of them.

Agreed.  T1 is the story made as a low budget horror film.  T2 is the same basic story remade as an action epic.   Both versions work.

That said, I think Avatar was terrible.  If he turns Terminator into Avatar, which is to wait for ridiculously new technology, and then forcefeed his politics in the story, I won't like it.  I think Avatar was so bad, I have no desire to see the sequels.  The only character I liked was the colonel.

e15960429e2ef92fcdbc2faa7352d5fa.gif

The colonel... as in the guy who wanted to rape the planet and kill all of the natives on the planet?  

I'm sincerely hoping when you say 'liked' the colonel, you meant appreciated him as a villain; as in, 'Darth Vader was a good antagonist.'  The colonel in "Avatar" was a monster.  He had NO redeeming qualities whatsoever.  

As for injecting politics into his films?  I'm afraid Cameron has been injecting them into his stories all along, whether you got them or not. 

The Terminator movies are about the dangers of nuclear proliferation and the runaway military industrial complex coming back to bite us (Eisenhower's warning taken to the Nth degree).   T2 also had much to say about nurturing and learning the value of life over our compulsory need for destruction.   Sarah Connor's closing epilog (in the original cut) practically spoon-feeds the message to the audience.   The Abyss was very "Avatar-ish" in its politics as well though admittedly a bit less ham-fisted and clumsy about it (the conflict between the Navy SEALs and the civilians).    ALIENS was all about corporate greed at the expense of life (same message as "Avatar" again; albeit with better delivery).   Even "Titanic" made statements about breaking societal molds and women's liberation; Rose fights against the conservative values of wealth and privilege to live the unfettered life she envies in Jack. 

James Cameron is a deeply political filmmaker, but he does it with such skill (most of the time) that it tends to do so without it being too obvious. 

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0