Sign in to follow this  
Sim

TOS's cousin "Space Patrol" from Germany: You can watch it here (with English subs)!

"Raumpatrouille Orion" (="Space Patrol Orion") is a German SF show from 1965/66, with many similarities to TOS.

It aired 6 years before TOS first aired in Germany, but there is some speculation whether TOS influenced the makers of "Raumpatrouille". But IIRC, they said in interviews they had not known of TOS.

Anyway, if you're curious, you can watch the first episode with English subtitles on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJI4J92Btis

It's a trash gem! Enjoy! :laugh:

For more info on the show, here Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raumpatrouille_–_Die_phantastischen_Abenteuer_des_Raumschiffes_Orion

Only one season with 7 episodes was produced.

"Raumpatrouille Orion" (="Space Patrol Orion") is a German SF show from 1965/66, with many similarities to TOS.

It aired 6 years before TOS first aired in Germany, but there is some speculation whether TOS influenced the makers of "Raumpatrouille". But IIRC, they said in interviews they had not known of TOS.

Anyway, if you're curious, you can watch the first episode with English subtitles on YouTube:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raumpatrouille_–_Die_phantastischen_Abenteuer_des_Raumschiffes_Orion

Just saw the first five minutes; reminds me more of a Gerry Anderson show ("Space 1999" "UFO" "Thunderbirds") than Star Trek.  
Anyway, I'm planning on watching the rest tomorrow, during my daily exercise; easier for me to give it all of my aufmerksandkeit...
:P

Just saw the first five minutes; reminds me more of a Gerry Anderson show ("Space 1999" "UFO" "Thunderbirds") than Star Trek.  
Anyway, I'm planning on watching the rest tomorrow, during my daily exercise; easier for me to give it all of my aufmerksandkeit...

Yes, perhaps it isn't totally similar to TOS... but a few things make me wonder if they really weren't inspired by TOS:

Like the voice over in the beginning, or that the space ship Orion and its crew are part of a military organization. And not least that the crew is international (American captain, Russian first officer, a Japanese, a German, a Scandinavian and an Italian in the crew -- albeit all played by white Germans :laugh: ).

But then, perhaps these ideas are common for SF of the time period.

Btw, as far as I remember, a private German tv station was planning a "Next Generation" for that series in the late 90s, but at some point abandoned the project (instead, a recut of old episodes into a feature-lenth movie went to the theatres). A pity they didn't do that -- we could use more genre fiction on German tv.

Yes, perhaps it isn't totally similar to TOS... but a few things make me wonder if they really weren't inspired by TOS:

Like the voice over in the beginning, or that the space ship Orion and its crew are part of a military organization. And not least that the crew is international (American captain, Russian first officer, a Japanese, a German, a Scandinavian and an Italian in the crew -- albeit all played by white Germans :laugh: ).

Btw, as far as I remember, a private German tv station was planning a "Next Generation" for that series in the late 90s, but at some point abandoned the project (instead, a recut of old episodes into a feature-lenth movie went to the theatres). A pity they didn't do that -- we could use more genre fiction on German tv.

It also kind of reminds me of a then-East German scifi movie called "Der Schweigende Stern" ("The Silent Star"), which came out in 1960.  It was about an international spaceship crew (including a Japanese woman, a Chinese man and an African man; very progressive for that time) sent to Venus to discover the origin of a memory crystal apparently ejected from the planet many years before.  The crew has a history together; the American (yes, a Yank was in there too) was once romantically involved with the Japanese woman ("Amiko").  So yeah, ST may have first presented the idea of a diverse crew in American television, but it wasn't entirely new to the rest of the world. 

The movie was released in the US as "First Spaceship on Venus"; I remember watching it as a kid on TV and enjoying it at the time.  It too, had a vaguely Star Trek-meets-Gerry Anderson feel to it.

And yes, a shame a version 2.0 of "Orion" was abandoned; it would've been interesting to see that idea presented with a little more sophistication.

It also kind of reminds me of a then-East German scifi movie called "Der Schweigende Stern" ("The Silent Star"), which came out in 1960.  It was about an international spaceship crew (including a Japanese woman, a Chinese man and an African man; very progressive for that time) sent to Venus to discover the origin of a memory crystal apparently ejected from the planet many years before.  The crew has a history together; the American (yes, a Yank was in there too) was once romantically involved with the Japanese woman ("Amiko").  So yeah, ST may have first presented the idea of a diverse crew in American television, but it wasn't entirely new to the rest of the world. 

The movie was released in the US as "First Spaceship on Venus"; I remember watching it as a kid on TV and enjoying it at the time.  It too, had a vaguely Star Trek-meets-Gerry Anderson feel to it.

And yes, a shame a version 2.0 of "Orion" was abandoned; it would've been interesting to see that idea presented with a little more sophistication.

Hm, I should try to find a copy of "Der schweigende Stern" some day. :)

Hm, I should try to find a copy of "Der schweigende Stern" some day. :)

It's dated, to be sure (made in 1960), but there were some interesting ideas in it:

* Multi-racial/international crew, all working together

*  A vaguely TNG-looking bridge of the "Kosmoskrater" (the spaceship)

*  A profound message (for its time) about the dangers of weapons of mass destruction.

* A goofy little robotic sidekick named "Omega"; predating R2D2, and Buck Rogers' "Twiki." 

* Beautiful miniature work in the launch sequence.

Worth a look.

TrekYards YouTube web site did a video today on the Orion starship from the cult TV show Space Patrol Starship Orion, a 1966 short run TV series in black and white, based on the old scifi of the 1950s and early 1960s. This curious German production from 1966, takes place in the far flung 30th century, in a united future where flying saucers are space ships, (hubcap with ornaments Ed Wood style). They made about 8 episodes, but it is quite progressive for the time period. It even bears some likeness to Discovery, with a complex male commander, a rogue female first officer, and a female commander in chief. I don't speak German, but there are subtitled versions of the show online. Have any of you seen it? It looks very curious.

Seems to be a Lost in Space meets Star Trek deal which ended just before color TV came there.

Maybe some of the members here have seen it in the original format and know something about it.

TrekYards episode on the 'Starship Orion' model and fan stories.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTmd2Mx4DUI

The pilot episode is online somewhere. Subtitles follow.

Edited by Chimera82405

5 hours ago, Chimera82405 said:

TrekYards YouTube web site did a video today on the Orion starship from the cult TV show Space Patrol Starship Orion, a 1966 short run TV series in black and white, based on the old scifi of the 1950s and early 1960s. This curious German production from 1966, takes place in the far flung 30th century, in a united future where flying saucers are space ships, (hubcap with ornaments Ed Wood style). They made about 8 episodes, but it is quite progressive for the time period. It even bears some likeness to Discovery, with a complex male commander, a rogue female first officer, and a female commander in chief. I don't speak German, but there are subtitled versions of the show online. Have any of you seen it? It looks very curious.

Seems to be a Lost in Space meets Star Trek deal which ended just before color TV came there.

Maybe some of the members here have seen it in the original format and know something about it.

TrekYards episode on the 'Starship Orion' model and fan stories.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTmd2Mx4DUI

The pilot episode is online somewhere. Subtitles follow.

Chimera, we already had a topic about this show, so I merged it with yours. In the future, please make sure to check if someone already created topic for a show/subject you wish to discuss.

Sim provided pretty much all additional information on the show so I have very little to add, only that this used to be my mother's favorite show when she was young and that I've seen one or two episodes and found them to be surprisingly progressive (surprisingly because German television isn't exactly known for being progressive most of the time, it tends to "stick to what works, no experiments").

It was hard to find in topics, obviously since it was in German 'The fantastic adventure of space patrol star ship Orion' and I didn't shuffle through card titles fully. It would have been like searching for a saucer in a field of saucers. Sorry.

What was new though is yesterday a Trek fan channel did a run down on the Orion ship. That's new. So now it is news again.

Sign in to follow this