Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GustavoLeao

Michael Keaton : BATMAN FOREVER "Sucked"

8 posts in this topic

SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING's Michael Keaton Bluntly Explains Why He Chose Not To Return For BATMAN FOREVER

During a new interview, original big-screen Dark Knight Michael Keaton concisely explains why he left the franchise when Joel Schumacher replaced Tim Burton as director on Batman Forever. Right on target, Michael !

Honestly, I liked Batman Forever better than the two Burton movies, but I don't feel any of the four nailed the character.  I don't think any of the live action movies ever truly got it right, and that includes Nolan.  The cartoon is still the standard.

Schumacher was a trainwreck.

It's pretty much that simple.

This isn't really breaking news.  I mean he has said this in less blunt terms years ago.  And he was right to move on.  I mean for me, personally, the 1989 movie is my personal favorite live action Batman. Keaton is my Batman.  It was the first film I really played on a loop at my house as a kid(so much so that when we had a break-in and someone stole our VCR, Batman went with it). And while I have a bit of childhood nostalgia even for Batman Forever...it isn't a movie I would call good.  I still wish that Burton and Keaton stayed on for Forever...and I wish that the role of Harvey Dent/Two-Face had stayed in the hands of Billy Dee Williams. Tommy Lee Jones is the worst thing of that movie. 

SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING's Michael Keaton Bluntly Explains Why He Chose Not To Return For BATMAN FOREVER

During a new interview, original big-screen Dark Knight Michael Keaton concisely explains why he left the franchise when Joel Schumacher replaced Tim Burton as director on Batman Forever. Right on target, Michael !

And in other breaking news, flatulence still smells bad... :giggle:

For me, the 1990s Batman movies went downhill after the first one.   I didn't care for "Batman Returns" either; it meanders about for what seems like forever, and it has NO story at all.  It's all over the map with ideas, but none of them are fully developed.   It also set the precedent for 'three ring circus' superhero movies, where one villain wasn't enough; personally I've never really liked that approach.  

But yes, the Schumacher Batman movies that followed were even worse.   In "Batman Forever" (that title...really?) Jim Carrey's Riddler was just annoying as hell.   His homoerotic crush/jealousy on/of Bruce Wayne would've been well and fine for ONE obsessed super villain story; it could've been a David Fincher-type movie with a touch of supervilainy thrown in (more "Se7en" than silly).  But nope... they had to camp the s#!t out of it (even dressing him like a bad background dancer for a cheesy '80s Vegas show).   Tommy Lee Jones was utterly wasted playing Harvey Dent like a rubber masked thug with no shading whatsoever.  I almost wanted him to give back that "Fugitive"-won Oscar, but no, he was still excellent in that movie; just not this one...

And the less said about "Batman and Robin" the better.   The only good thing that came of seeing that absolutely horrible movie was that I met my wife that night. :)

Thank goodness the Nolan movies rebooted this whole hot mess.  And here's to Keaton for his belated honesty (viva "Birdman"! ;)).

Totally agreed. Now I love Christian Bale and he's my favorite Batman/Bruce Wayne, but I gladly admit I am also a fan of Keaton and Burton take on the character. Took me alitle time to enjoy Keaton in the role, but yeah, I now can say I love his work (and Burton) on BATMAN 1989 and even the ubber dark BATMAN RETURNS. The Schumacher movies ? As Keaton just said "it sucked " ! LOL

And who said this is breaking news ? I post stuff for fun !

Totally agreed. Now I love Christian Bale and he's my favorite Batman/Bruce Wayne, but I gladly admit I am also a fan of Keaton and Burton take on the character. Took me alitle time to enjoy Keaton in the role, but yeah, I now can say I love his work (and Burton) on BATMAN 1989 and even the ubber dark BATMAN RETURNS. The Schumacher movies ? As Keaton just said "it sucked " ! LOL

And who said this is breaking news ? I post stuff for fun !

I think Bale was terrific as Bruce Wayne, but his Batman-voice sounded almost comically raspy/lisp-y at times.  But yeah, as a presence?  He owned the role, no doubt.   But I have to also give props to Affleck; who was a terrific Batman in a not-so-terrific Batman movie. 

If Affleck had starred in the Nolanverse movies, he would've been amazing.

Batman Forever is my favorite of the 4. Kilmer was good with the cowl on but without he was just way off. I actually liked Schumaker brightening things up a tad but then he took it too far the next one. I found Riddler and Harvey more interesting than Penguin the film before. 

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0