EddieRich

Looking for LCARS specification

5 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I have been looking at LCARS sites and although the graphics are mesmorizing, they don't seem to serve any purpose. Most ( if not all ) of the "buttons" have random numbers on them.

Was there ever an "official" specification released that explains the design of the computer displays? Maybe something written by Michael Okuda?

Welcome and have fun.

If such an explanation exists, you wouldn't find it in the technical manuals. It'd be in the behind-the-scenes books and DVD snippets. But I believe most of the fine details were in fact random, or in jokes, or nods to other things. David Ogden Stiers (MASH) guested on the episode "Half a Life," so one of the displays has a designation of 4077. There's a vital sign stat on the TNG sickbay monitors that reads "Health Insurance Coverage."

Point being, I'm not sure that there's ultimately any rhyme or reason to all of that.

Hello all,

I have been looking at LCARS sites and although the graphics are mesmorizing, they don't seem to serve any purpose. Most ( if not all ) of the "buttons" have random numbers on them.

Was there ever an "official" specification released that explains the design of the computer displays? Maybe something written by Michael Okuda?

Welcome aboard Eddie.

Post often and prosper... or as the Guardian of Forever might say, "Let us be your gateway." :laugh:

Welcome and have fun.

If such an explanation exists, you wouldn't find it in the technical manuals. It'd be in the behind-the-scenes books and DVD snippets. But I believe most of the fine details were in fact random, or in jokes, or nods to other things. David Ogden Stiers (MASH) guested on the episode "Half a Life," so one of the displays has a designation of 4077. There's a vital sign stat on the TNG sickbay monitors that reads "Health Insurance Coverage."

Point being, I'm not sure that there's ultimately any rhyme or reason to all of that.

Pretty sure there wasn't.

I remember about 20 years ago, a friend and I toured the Hollywood Galaxy Museum on Sunset (since closed, sadly) and I actually got to see portions of the TNG set (it was a weekday and the exhibit just opened; we had CRAZY levels of access...).  I even got to sit on Picard's chair with the horseshoe-shaped tactical station right behind me (I wish to hell I had pictures but they weren't allowed).   Up close there are all manner of inside jokes on the panels and displays, but no real 'logic' to it.  I remember seeing the actual Ent-D engineering map which included a giant duck and WW1 style bi-planes in the hangar deck (!).  

There was also a piece of signage in a section of corridor that had the lyrics to the theme of Gilligan's Island ("Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale...").

How those actors ever kept a straight face amongst all of that proved to me just what a disciplined troupe the TNG crew really were.:laugh:

The LCARS are the GNDN conduit of the TNG universe. They go nowhere, do nothing. Some YouTube sites do indeed interview the Okuda's, a good place to start, since many of the later 1980s and on ones were their ideas. Many graphics had jokes on them that video wouldn't pick up, like the infamous DS9 one with the Man from UNCLE cast in the promenade, and on TNG the cast of Gilligan's Island on a screen in engineering. The Yamato is even a reference to anime, as is the Akira. The Bajoran Orbs have scribbles of cast names, but that's not an Okudagram. Many of these things were done using then Mac Paint. The HD transfers show some of these in jokes. It is a far advanced one from pudding candied colored plastic toy buttons on the consoles in TOS, but also there are some graphics they made with normal black gaffer's tape. Ha.

Vie, some of that was reproduced or saved for the Star Trek Tour and the Star Trek Experience. Regrettably most of the prop hanging stuff from the Experience was lost, but much of the tour stuff and models and costumes from the shows went to auction, and some of the production people and fans own them.

(I know at least tow people who guest appeared on TNG and DS9 and one on Voyager who are long since retired from acting there, but had been on the shows in the background). They also confirmed the in jokes everywhere. One of them, who has his name on the orb too, said he was visiting the TNG set at about the time of Relics and got to see the warp core up close, so he opened the dilithium matrix chamber and looked inside, and he found...it was Mr Fusion powered because it contained the half eaten remains of a doughnut and a cup of coffee! Apparently close up in Engineering they even have a flux capacitor, visible on the even the video version, if you know where it is. So they love some Back to the Future. (One of them was a production person who got him access). I got the tour and the experience, which had some of these visuals also. They reproduced some of them on the Vegas experience on the screens. That TNG bridge was pretty darn accurate, and they built two, one for each ride! (When they put in the Borg one they took out one of the bridges). Also the Vegas version of Quark's featured the Man from UNCLE joke on the signage too, just like on the set.

I got to see the orb with names on it, including those of people I had met both at conventions, and some production and guest stars that had since gone on and left it behind, but not acting entirely, and they still make props and their children are amateur actors.

I've seen images of the duck and the Gilligan thing.

Also in Star Trek II there is a Burger King burger symbol in sick bay.

Also in TMP there is a Kermit and a Mickey Mouse, and the engine display readout resembles the Disney Mickey logo at one point.

Morn is an anagram of Norm from Cheers, a show they loved, hence he never speaks on DS9, as confirmed by production books and at conventions.  Not an Okudagram, but funny.

Edited by Chimera82405

I also remember another Okudagram in a corridor that had the famous quote from "Buckaroo Banzai" (1984), "Wherever you go, there you are."  :giggle: