Sign in to follow this  
GustavoLeao

My Favorite 2016 Movies

THE BEST MOVIES OF 2016

Surely, 2016 was a crappy year for the entertaiment industry, full of bad movies, but here is my chance to post my favorite 2016 movies. There were good movies here and there too, but these 5 are my favorites of the year.

1- CAPTAIN AMERICA CIVIL WAR (MARVEL STUDIOS)
2- DOCTOR STRANGE (MARVEL STUDIOS)
3- ROGUE ONE A STAR WARS STORY (DISNEY)
4- FOR THE LOVE OF SPOCK (455 FILMS)
5- THE RED TURTLE (ANIME - STUDIO GHIBLI)

So, there you are.I will not even comment on STAR TREK BEYOND and BATMAN VS SUPERMAN

If I had to list five?  Here goes:

1.  The Arrival

2.  The Red Turtle 

3.  Star Trek Beyond

4.  Rogue One

5.  Doctor Strange

Today I'm going to see "Passengers" with my wife, but I'm not sure if it'll crack the list based on the mixed reviews I'm reading/hearing...

Today I'm going to see "Passengers" with my wife, but I'm not sure if it'll crack the list based on the mixed reviews I'm reading/hearing...

Saw it free.

All I will say is that I wouldn't be nearly as...understanding of things by the end as one of our characters.

Have fun.

1.  The Arrival

2.  The Red Turtle 

3.  Star Trek Beyond

4.  Rogue One

5.  Doctor Strange

I totally understand your choices. At least we did get 3 movies in common in both listings.

Happy New Year, folks.

Gus

The five best movies of the year 2016, one or two of which will get Oscars for some technical part, but best picture should be Zootopia, (but it is not nominated though):

1. Zootopia (The best of the year, a hands down Disney classic before it even could be. Classics take decades to be called thus. It is both a nod to the Disney afternoon and to the furries, and everyone should like the furries).

2. Finding Dory (Just how could anyone not love this movie. I'd say it is better than Finding Nemo. It is however not quite as good as Zootopia). They are so close!

3. Star Trek Beyond (It didn't seem possible to redeem the Into Darkness, although granted I didn't mind ID and thought had certain Khan things been changed, it would have been even better, but Pegg and Lin actually delivered on a nod to the series that works, has all the right beats, and ends with a holiday ornament space station fight, despite some awkward flaws about the villain).

4. Captain America Civil War (snappy yet dark action mash up that blows Batman v Superman away, even if it has issues)

5. Rogue One a Star Wars story (arguably the best Star Wars fan film homage to the EU ever made)

Honorable Mentions, none of which will get Oscars:

1. Edge of Seventeen (should win best picture, bridging the x generation to the current millennial, via a great cast and story)

2. Arrival (realistic use of a primitive universal translator to make first contact)

3. Doctor Strange (technical effects in a feature film)

4. Ten Cloverfield Lane (except for the ridiculous tie in at the final act, this is one of the scariest thrillers of the year)

5. Pete's Dragon (2016) (an ultimately sweet movie)

6. Moana (not really the best ever, but a fine tie for the honorable mention part)

Runners up, some of wehich might get Oscars

1. Snowden (the traitorous spy movie who worked for the government)

2. Sully (the Hudson plane landing, great Tom Hanks performance)

3. The Jungle Book (2016) (a family friendly and wondrous adaptation of the original)

* Passengers was not awful. It's worth a watch if you like that kind of thing. Think of it as a romance novel in space and it makes more sense. It isn;t really Titanic, not really, since that film added the love story (as the characters were made up for the 1997 movie). This one was part of the narrative. Generation ship stories are just interesting.

Edited by Chimera82405

Saw it free.

All I will say is that I wouldn't be nearly as...understanding of things by the end as one of our characters.

Have fun.

My spoiler-loving wife already read a leaked copy of the screenplay online a few weeks ago (bad wife!) but she has been adamant in NOT spoiling for me (good wife!).

At any rate, we have free passes accrued from Christmas stocking stuffers, so it'll be free for us as well.   Even if it's only satisfactory at best, it won't be a waste. 

maneth   

I haven't seen Rogue One yet, although we'll go for a matinee showing on New Year's Eve.

My favorites so far are:

The Arrival

Star Trek Beyond

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

kenman   

Not sure how my list might've changed if plans went right last night (the wife and I planned on seeing "La La Land" but it was sold out!), but here is what my list looks like right now:

1. The Witch
    • Just as good as horror can get for me. Atmospheric, creepy, a dash of gross, and foreboding as all get out.  It also seems like such a precise and deliberate film made by a seasoned filmmaker...first time director who I'd never heard of before. 
  2. Don't Breath
    • Written and Directed by Fede Alvarez who made the decent Evil Dead remake a few years ago, this is a better film than that. Tense throughout the whole thing, felt like a modern edgier Hitchcock film in many ways.  Kept me on the edge of my seat. 
  3. Arrival
    • The kind of Sci-fi film I'd like to see more of. Make a movie that uses science fiction to explore characters and ideas.
  4. Star Trek Beyond
    • The only movie on this list I have watched multiple times...I just enjoyed the heck out of it.  This is exactly where I wanted to see the franchise move towards following the successful (if at times problematic) reboot in 2009.  Into Darkness just retreaded 2009's plot and left me cold with even larger leaps of logic...but this movie dialed it back, and took all the good of the 2009 film and sprinkled in some classic Trek feel as well. I just loved it. 
  5. Midnight Special
    • I heard of this film, and when I looked into it, I saw the filmmaker had made all sorts of films that happened to be on my list of things to see...so I finally checked them all out, leading up to this...and Jeff Nichols quietly became one of my favorite working directors today. He makes real films, and this sci-fi flick about a boy with special powers and his dad running from the law with him in tow, is pretty spectacular viewing.
  6. Green Room
    • A great violent thriller about a punk band that walks in on a murder in the backroom of the club they were playing, and end up hostages by the Nazi's who run it.  Great performances from Anton Yelchin, Alia Shawkat, and especially Patrick Stewart, in a role like none other I've seen him play. 
  7. Loving
    • The second Nichols film this year, and both made my list.  This time he tackles the storyof the Loving couple, who were a landmark case in the Supreme Court that basically legalized interracial marriage...yet the movie barely takes us into the courtroom.  It focuses on these two people who love each other and start a family, and you just grow to love the people involved, and feel for their struggle, which was inane from the outset. 
  8. The Lobster
    • Probably the winner for the weirdest movie on my list, it is about a world in which single people must go to a resort in which they have a short period of time to find a mate, or they are turned into an animal.  Just a strange, slow, awkward film, and I mean that in a good way. 
  9. Neon Demon
    • While I can't say I have a film that deserves to be in a top 10 with these films (that I've yet to see anyhow), I can say that this stylish Nicholas Winding Refn film about a young beautiful model and her entrance into the strange world of fashion is pretty good in most ways.  I loved the style of it, the pulsating hypnotic and somewhat unsettling score...the very Argento look and feel of the whole thing.  I enjoyed it...it was classy trash in many ways, dressed up and pretty to look at.  

I am bummed that last night our date crumbled when we couldn't see the movie we wanted to see, as I've heard good things and I have a feeling it may have made it somewhere onto this list...I will have to wait until it comes out on video probably to finally see it.  There are a bunch of movies from this year that Iwant to see, many of which came ou now around Award Scrounging Season...but there isn't enough time and money in the day to see them all in the theater.  My library wait list is about to expand I am sure!

My favorite SF/genre thingies this year. Can't be bothered to distinguish between films and TV, sorry. The criteria are they have to be good and remain enjoyable on repeat viewings.

1. Arrival

2. Star Trek Beyond

3. Rogue One

4. Doctor Who - The Return of Doctor Mysterio

5. HUMANS Series 2

6. Black Mirror, Series 3

7. Doctor Strange

8. Game of Thrones Season 6

9. Westworld

10. Star Wars Rebels Season 2 (and part 1 of season 3)

11. Penny Dreadful Season 3

12. Stranger Things

I think that The Man in the High Castle would probably also be on this list had I seen it yet, but I've only seen the first episode of season 2 so far. Same for Ash Vs. the Evil Dead which I sampled and found hilarious but haven't watched enough of yet. Bubbling under: Captain America: Civil War which was fun but not in the same class as Winter Soldier. The Witch was great. I didn't see Preacher. Wow, look at that - The X-Files didn't even make it onto the list. I can just about remember two episodes of the six that aired, so that's why. Those two were good but if the others were that forgettable, I clearly don't care much.

I haven't seen The Red Turtle, but as both Gus and Sehlat have mentioned it, that's one I'm looking out for. I saw several documentaries worth a mention, including For The Love of Spock, but it feels like they need a different list. Also highly worth watching, especially if you're a star wars fan but even if you're not: Elstree 1976 which i saw earlier this week and thought was excellent. Both are love letters to their respective franchises.

I surprise myself by the high placing of STB. I actually switched positions with it and R1 several times, but STB won out just because at this point, I've seen it more times, so I honestly can say I enjoyed it a hell of a lot. For me, it was the big surprise of the year and I honestly think it's become one of my favorite Star Trek movies. It gives me a lot of pleasure to be able to say that.

But I liked every single show or movie on this list and think they're all awesome and worthwhile in their own ways.

kenman   

I would also like to point out that Gus's initial statement, that it was a bad year for the entertainment industry? Not really. Disney had a record breaking year, and there was actually more successes than I thought earlier in the year. And creatively, I think there were some fantastic films this year, and based on what I've heard from a few friends, there are more I have yet to see.  In terms of big blockbuster fair?  Maybe less creatively successful, but smaller stuff was killing it this year it seemed to me.

Sim   

I'm not a regular moviegoer... the only movie I watched at the theatre between STID 2013 and Beyond 2016 was Star Wars Ep. VII. :P

The only two movies I watched at the theatre this year were "Beyond" and "Rogue One", and I knew I'd like them. So there is not much to contrast them with.

So I can't really comment. But after reading all the great recommendations, I *have to* preorder the Blu Ray of "Arrival".

If I include TV shows to my list? There are a couple of older shows I watched this year, or begun watching, so not sure if it's really a 2016 list then... but "Stranger Things" and "Ash vs. Evil Dead" definitely make it on my list. So does the new mini season of "The X-Files"! I'm just such a huge sucker for nostalgia, that watching these six new episodes on top of rewatching the entire old series on HD Blu Ray was a *huge* event for me last winter, perhaps even bigger for me than TFA. Even though I agree the episodes were a mixed bag.

I also watched the 1st season of "Man in the High Castle" in early 2016, which I loved a lot. Looking forward to season 2.

Another show I started was "Fargo". Have seen the first season, which was a lot of fun.

Other shows I was rather fond of, are the latest seasons of "Better Call Saul" (outstanding!) and, a bit less so, "House of Cards" (it's rather become a "machiavellist soap", but the amazing actors are so shining, that alone makes the show worthwhile for me).

But I guess the one show that left the by far biggest impression on me this year, was "Game of Thrones". I hadn't seen anything from season 2 to 6, but finally, my wife and I binged that show recently and were totally captivated.

Biggest disappointment was season 7 of "The Walking Dead". The show is slowly but surely losing its appeal for me, even though I'm not giving up yet.

Another disappointment was "Justified", of which I've seen one and half a season. After all the hype and praise a friend gave me, whose taste I usually trust, I found the show very mundane and filled with macho Western clichés, albeit admittedly stylish. I just didn't remotely understand what's allegedly so great about it.

Edited by Sim

kenman   

2016 TV...I must admit I am getting behind when it comes to many new shows.  I've been watching more movies this year. But series I also did enjoy were the "X-Files" min-series return, "As vs. Evil Dead" Season 2.  Stranger Things was the best new show of 2016 for my money.  I also enjoyed Series XI of "Red Dwarf", as well as the new "Doctor Who" spin-off "Class."

I need to get into some new shows though...like Westworld and Fargo (I REALLY want to watch this).  But I have been rather lame on TV this year, focusing a lot on movies and occasionally revisiting older shows like TNG. 

^
Agreeing with some of the above posts, I'd say TV had much stronger sci-fi fantasy content than the cinemas.

If I could add an extra 5 to my list that includes TV?  I'd add

6.  Westworld 

7.  Doctor Who: Return of Dr. Mysterio

8.  Ash vs The Evil Dead

9.  Kubo and the Two Strings

10.  Stranger Things

Sim   

If I had to put the shows I mentioned above in an order, I guess it'd look like this:

1. Game of Thrones, seasons 2-6

2. Better Call Saul, season 2

3. The X-Files, season 10

4. The Man in the High Castle, season 1

5. Stranger Things

6. Ash vs. Evil Dead, seasons 1-2

7. Fargo, season 1

8. House of Cards, seasons 3-4

Though some of the shows on that list could easily switch around, depending on my mood.

Shows that don't make it on my list, but which I enjoyed watching nevertheless, except they didn't impress me as much as the others, are "Boardwalk Empire" season 5, "True Blood" season 7, "Fear the Walking Dead" season 2, "Bates Motel" seasons 1-2, "Goliath" episodes 1-8 and "Designated Survivor" episodes 1-10. This is stuff I enjoy watching on Netflix or Amazon to make my subscriptions pay off, but I guess I wouldn't spend extra money on it, and they're not so important I absolutely need them on DVD/BD.

Even the shows I mentioned as disappointments -- "The Walking Dead" season 7 and "Justified" seasons 1 & part of 2-- belong in this category: I didn't outright hate them, I was just disappointed they weren't better. TWD especially is disappointing, because the show once used to be so much more interesting.

I can't comment on "Westworld", because I've not had a chance of watching it -- it's not yet available on Netflix, Amazon or Blu Ray in Germany. The same for "Class".

Edited by Sim

Biggest disappointment was season 7 of "The Walking Dead". The show is slowly but surely losing its appeal for me, even though I'm not giving up yet.

Another disappointment was "Justified", of which I've seen one and half a season. After all the hype and praise a friend gave me, whose taste I usually trust, I found the show very mundane and filled with macho Western clichés, albeit admittedly stylish. I just didn't remotely understand what's allegedly so great about it.

Yeah, y'know, we tried that again too, and didn't get further  than around ep 8 or 9. It was supposed to get really good, but the macho posturing did begin to wear very thin. To be honest, we just sort of forgot about it.

I kept my selections to SF/horror, but if you want to talk about Goliath, let's talk about Goliath on another general TV thread, because that was one of the TV shows of 2016! We literally could not stop watching that it was so compelling.

Sad thing is, I kind of forgot about Class too once I'd watched it. I wanted to like it more than I honestly did.

Sim   

Yeah, y'know, we tried that again too, and didn't get further  than around ep 8 or 9. It was supposed to get really good, but the macho posturing did begin to wear very thin. To be honest, we just sort of forgot about it.

I kept my selections to SF/horror, but if you want to talk about Goliath, let's talk about Goliath on another general TV thread, because that was one of the TV shows of 2016! We literally could not stop watching that it was so compelling.

Sad thing is, I kind of forgot about Class too once I'd watched it. I wanted to like it more than I honestly did.

Yes, as for "Justified", now I know what to expect from the series. Once I've adjusted my expectations, I guess I could enjoy an episode here and there as a filler, when there's nothing else on my list. When I see it as basically just a kind of "modern Western", it kind of works. Maybe it's also "post-modern" or something, to produce a show in the 2010s that almost feels like a modern reinterpretation of "Gunsmoke", few character development, few serialization, every problem is solved via gunfight and all, I dunno. :laugh:

As for "Goliath", yes! I'd love to read your observations on the show! Chances are I'll find your musings on it just as interesting as the show itself, but don't take that as a criticism of the show... it's rather a praise of your concise observation skills. :laugh:

I absolutely enjoyed "Goliath", but I felt it was missing just the one bit of something, to be really outstanding. It's strongest plus, of course, was the acting. First of all, it was really a Billy Bob Thornton "one man show", which says something, when you have someone like William Hurt in it, too. But even the latter was almost in the shadow of Billy, IMO. So when you love Thornton, this show is an immediate win, a must-watch, there is nothing you can do wrong. Parallel to "Goliath", I also watched the first season of "Fargo", so I got to see two very different roles of Thornton, which was kind of a treat -- I noticed all the more what an amazing actor he is.

Another strength of "Goliath" are the very peculiar, eerily creepy characters in that big lawyer office. "The Mouse", for example: She must be one of the creepiest characters I have ever seen on tv: Seemingly shy, stuttering, but totally ambitious to the degree of being devote to the massive sexual exploitation taking place there, even with masochist undertones -- like when she crawled up on William Hurt's character's death bed... just wow. Her major female competition there would have been creepy enough on her own -- but even she appeared almost pitiable in comparison to her.

And William Hurt? IMO, he didn't really shine until his decapacitation towards the end, surprisingly. But then he made the goal. Wow. Even miserable scumbags die like everybody else, don't they? What was he? Hateable? Pitiable? Both? Have to admit, I did not really find an answer.

What I really sympathize with, at any rate, is the inverted print of the "loser" as hero, while the "winners" are mercilessly portrayed as totally rotten. That's a message to my taste! :thumbup:

So yeah, the show was a great "intimate play" of sorts: Probably produced with low production values, few sets, it was all about the actors, characters and dialogues. It's really refreshing to learn they still make these types of show these days. :)

As the story is pretty much finished, I assume the series was planned as a mere one-season miniseries, right? Or are there plans for a continuation? I can't imagine how a continuation was supposed to top what we've seen, so I guess they'd better leave it as it is.

Edited by Sim

Yes, as for "Justified", now I know what to expect from the series. Once I've adjusted my expectations, I guess I could enjoy an episode here and there as a filler, when there's nothing else on my list. When I see it as basically just a kind of "modern Western", it kind of works. Maybe it's also "post-modern" or something, to produce a show in the 2010s that almost feels like a modern reinterpretation of "Gunsmoke", few character development, few serialization, every problem is solved via gunfight and all, I dunno. :laugh:

As for "Goliath", yes! I'd love to read your observations on the show! Chances are I'll find your musings on it just as interesting as the show itself, but don't take that as a criticism of the show... it's rather a praise of your concise observation skills. :laugh:

I absolutely enjoyed "Goliath", but I felt it was missing just the one bit of something, to be really outstanding. It's strongest plus, of course, was the acting. First of all, it was really a Billy Bob Thornton "one man show", which says something, when you have someone like William Hurt in it, too. But even the latter was almost in the shadow of Billy, IMO. So when you love Thornton, this show is an immediate win, a must-watch, there is nothing you can do wrong. Parallel to "Goliath", I also watched the first season of "Fargo", so I got to see two very different roles of Thornton, which was kind of a treat -- I noticed all the more what an amazing actor he is.

Another strength of "Goliath" are the very peculiar, eerily creepy characters in that big lawyer office. "The Mouse", for example: She must be one of the creepiest characters I have ever seen on tv: Seemingly shy, stuttering, but totally ambitious to the degree of being devote to the massive sexual exploitation taking place there, even with masochist undertones -- like when she crawled up on William Hurt's character's death bed... just wow. Her major female competition there would have been creepy enough on her own -- but even she appeared almost pitiable in comparison to her.

And William Hurt? IMO, he didn't really shine until his decapacitation towards the end, surprisingly. But then he made the goal. Wow. Even miserable scumbags die like everybody else, don't they? What was he? Hateable? Pitiable? Both? Have to admit, I did not really find an answer.

What I really sympathize with, at any rate, is the inverted print of the "loser" as hero, while the "winners" are mercilessly portrayed as totally rotten. That's a message to my taste! :thumbup:

So yeah, the show was a great "intimate play" of sorts: Probably produced with low production values, few sets, it was all about the actors, characters and dialogues. It's really refreshing to learn they still make these types of show these days. :)

As the story is pretty much finished, I assume the series was planned as a mere one-season miniseries, right? Or are there plans for a continuation? I can't imagine how a continuation was supposed to top what we've seen, so I guess they'd better leave it as it is.

Longer response coming when I have a moment, but this is interesting...

http://www.counselheal.com/articles/28819/20161228/goliath-season-2-news-1-dubbed-amazons-binged-show-fans.htm

1.  The Arrival

2.  The Red Turtle 

3.  Star Trek Beyond

4.  Rogue One

5.  Doctor Strange

Replying to my own quote? 
If I were to extend my MOVIES list, without including TV shows (tough, since TV was SO GOOD this year), the remaining five on my movie list would be these...

6.  Kubo and the Two Strings (haunting, magnificent movie)

7.  Deadpool

8.  Sausage Party (obscene, but utterly hilarious... a guilty pleasure).

9.  Capt. America: Civil War (enjoyable as I watched it, but I've forgotten most of it already...)

10. Finding Dorry 

If I were to make a favorite TV-only list?  It would look something like this:

1.  Westworld  (instant must-see TV for me AND my wife... that doesn't happen too often)

2.  Doctor Who: Return of Dr. Mysterio (utterly delightful in every way)

3.  Better Call Saul (favorite dramedy of this season)

4.  Ash vs the Evil Dead (guilty pleasure)

5.  Mythbusters (miss this show already)

6.  Humans (can't WAIT for the next season...)

7.  The People vs. OJ Simpson (guilty pleasure; took me back to the '90s in a major way... Travolta's terrible acting was almost hypnotic).

8.  Supergirl (started off SOOOO good in S1, but....)

9.  Designated Survivor (not the best or smartest show, but that pilot was terrific...)

10.  The Exorcist (slow burner, and parts are silly, but if it were a book it'd be a page-turner...)

kenman   

1.  The Arrival

2.  The Red Turtle 

3.  Star Trek Beyond

4.  Rogue One

5.  Doctor Strange

If I were to extend my MOVIES list, without including TV shows (tough, since TV was SO GOOD this year), the remaining five on my movie list would be these...

7.  Deadpool

9.  Capt. America: Civil War (enjoyable as I watched it, but I've forgotten most of it already...)

10. Finding Dorry 

1.  Westworld  (instant must-see TV for me AND my wife... that doesn't happen too often)

7.  The People vs. OJ Simpson (guilty pleasure; took me back to the '90s in a major way... Travolta's terrible acting was almost hypnotic).

9.  Designated Survivor (not the best or smartest show, but that pilot was terrific...)

10.  The Exorcist (slow burner, and parts are silly, but if it were a book it'd be a page-turner...)

never fee guilty for loving Ash vs Evil Dead.  You can feel guilty for enjoying Sausage Party tho!

1.  The Arrival

2.  The Red Turtle 

3.  Star Trek Beyond

4.  Rogue One

5.  Doctor Strange

7.  Deadpool

10. Finding Dorry 

never fee guilty for loving Ash vs Evil Dead.  You can feel guilty for enjoying Sausage Party tho!

And if anyone's interested?

I give much more detailed reasoning for each of my picks (as well as a re-ranking/reevaluation of Capt. America CW) in my blog:

https://musingsofamiddleagedgeek.wordpress.com/2016/12/31/personal-favorites-of-2016/

Sim   

1.  The Arrival

2.  The Red Turtle 

3.  Star Trek Beyond

4.  Rogue One

5.  Doctor Strange

7.  Deadpool

10. Finding Dorry 

I give much more detailed reasoning for each of my picks (as well as a re-ranking/reevaluation of Capt. America CW) in my blog:

https://musingsofamiddleagedgeek.wordpress.com/2016/12/31/personal-favorites-of-2016/

I like your blog!

What about "Stranger Things"? Didn't make it on your final list, or did you forget it?

1.  The Arrival

2.  The Red Turtle 

3.  Star Trek Beyond

4.  Rogue One

5.  Doctor Strange

7.  Deadpool

10. Finding Dorry 

I like your blog!

What about "Stranger Things"? Didn't make it on your final list, or did you forget it?

You know?  I would've squeezed it in as #11 or #12 (it's been a great year for TV, hasn't it?) but a couple others came to mind as I wrote up the blog.   Maybe I should've replaced Mythbusters with it, but Mythbusters has been a longtime favorite in our house, and its last year was really amazing.    

Sign in to follow this