DS9 Documentary Helmed by Ira Behr

33 posts in this topic

Posted

Well, the fact that CBS is not producing this DS9 documentary, and that it has to be crowdsourced speaks volumes to that eventual (non) release of DS9 on blu ray.  

Don't get me wrong; I would LOVE to see DS9 on BR (wouldn't we ALL?), but I just don't see it happening anytime soon.  Physical media is rapidly going extinct anyway (except with collectors and old nerds like me), and the time/expense etc. involved in remastering all of those low-resolution '90s CGI FX would essentially involve redoing all the FX for most of the latter seasons (when they relied on CGI more and more).   It just doesn't seem likely, no matter how enthusiastic the funding for this documentary.   The cost of this doc is peanuts to what a full remastering of all 7 seasons of DS9 would cost.   I wish I could feel otherwise, but I just don't. 

I am not saying that it would happen at all, I admit that it is unlikely. My point was more that CBS should take notice that a Doc about their intellectual property is raising a lot of money fast. And I said the cost is likely too high to make even crowdfunding a worthwhile effort on anyone's part. 

Posted

$20M or so for a remaster.

Posted

I wanna a DS9 movie, or TV Movie or Direct to Blu-Ray movie, period.

Put Nana Visitor as Captain KIra in charge of the station and it will be glorious to be  a fan again.,

Gus

Posted

^
The epitaph.  

Even if a crowdsourced DS9 doc gets $2 million or so, that's 10 percent of the cost of remastering the series.  I love DS9 (along with TOS and TAS, it's one of the few ST series I own in its entirety), but I'm slowly resigning myself to the fact that a DS9 BR remaster won't happen.

Posted

^
The epitaph.  

Even if a crowdsourced DS9 doc gets $2 million or so, that's 10 percent of the cost of remastering the series.  I love DS9 (along with TOS and TAS, it's one of the few ST series I own in its entirety), but I'm slowly resigning myself to the fact that a DS9 BR remaster won't happen.

If I win a mega lottery jackpot, ($350M or better) I've decided to go to CBS and foot the bill myself. :)

Posted

^
The epitaph.  

If I win a mega lottery jackpot, ($350M or better) I've decided to go to CBS and foot the bill myself. :)

:laugh:

I might hit you up for a CG remastering of TAS too...:P

Posted

^
The epitaph.  

Hah. If I win, I'll let you know. In the meantime, you can just hold your breath waiting, I'm sure it won't be long :)

Posted

^
The epitaph.  

Hah. If I win, I'll let you know. In the meantime, you can just hold your breath waiting, I'm sure it won't be long :)

Turning a bit purplish now...:P