GustavoLeao

DS9 Documentary Helmed by Ira Behr

68 posts in this topic

The upcoming DEEP SPACE NINE documentary now has a Web site AND a Twitter account @DS9Doc

An upcoming documentary about the "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine" TV Series, helmed by showrunner Ira Behr and the team that brought you "For The Love Of Spock," along with the participation of the original cast and writing team of DS9.

Gus

PS - Working on it !

Looking very forward to this project.  Behr's involvement makes me even more hopeful than I already am, if that's possible.

Behr's interview for the TNG set is realy frank and great. I would be totally down to see him talking in depth about DS9. 

Hopefully Brooks will take part and make sense instead of the "off his rocker" vibe we've gotten from him ever since The Captains documentary.

Hopefully Brooks will take part and make sense instead of the "off his rocker" vibe we've gotten from him ever since The Captains documentary.

Wasn't that around the time he had that DUI?  Maybe he was going through some heavy stuff, who knows...

I'm leaning towards that being painkiller issues in regards to his back.

^
Didn't even think of that; I certainly had my moments when I was on heavy prescription meds 20 years ago...

While sad to see Avery like that, it was kinda funny how it threw Shatner for a loop.

^
Didn't even think of that; I certainly had my moments when I was on heavy prescription meds 20 years ago...

May have been a factor in his DUI as well. Not trying to justify it, but perhaps he was self-medicating.

^

May have been a factor in his DUI as well. Not trying to justify it, but perhaps he was self-medicating.

If that is the case, he has my sympathies.

^

If that is the case, he has my sympathies.

As can I. Chronic pain can drive people insane.

^

If Avery Brooks is self-medicating on painkillers, and perhaps prescription drugs, then he needs to be careful. Heath Ledger died from accidental overdose, MJ and Prince died from painkiller overdoses too.

^

If Avery Brooks is self-medicating on painkillers, and perhaps prescription drugs, then he needs to be careful. Heath Ledger died from accidental overdose, MJ and Prince died from painkiller overdoses too.

That is true.  If he does still have a problem (if he had such a problem to begin with), then I'd just hope that he gets the help he needs first and foremost; both for his pain and for any possible painkiller addiction. 

Heres is the promo video and Indiegogo campaign for DS9 WHAT WE LEFT BEHIND, the upcoming STAR TREK DEEP SPACE NINE Documentary from 455 Films (THE CAPTAINS, FOR THE LOVE OF SPOCK0. Please support this awesome project, folks, it will be a grand docu on DS9.

PS - Its actually helmed by Adam Nimoy. Behr is producing it.

Luckily a lot of Niners out there...didn't they launch this campaign like...yesterday?  It has already raised over $130,000 of it's $150,000 goal...with a whole month left!  If I weren't currently out of a job, I'd contribute myself, but I am certainly very interested in the final product and will support it whatever way I can when it comes out. DS9 has really become my favorite Trek series as the years have gone by. 

That was funny (the video). Poor Hannah ("who are you? Oooohhh"). And of course, Chase makes anything better.

I really do hope Brooks can be involved, even if he is still a little wacky. Can't believe he wouldn't be able to stay on point talking facts. 

That was funny (the video). Poor Hannah ("who are you? Oooohhh"). And of course, Chase makes anything better.

I really do hope Brooks can be involved, even if he is still a little wacky. Can't believe he wouldn't be able to stay on point talking facts. 

My understanding is he believes his work should speak for itself, and he just isn't one for interviews. I'd love to see his perspective with hindsight and all, but not everyone can be interested in always looking back and discussing the past or their work. 

My understanding is he believes his work should speak for itself, and he just isn't one for interviews. I'd love to see his perspective with hindsight and all, but not everyone can be interested in always looking back and discussing the past or their work. 

Given how erratic he can be it's probably also quite difficult to get him to do an interview these days. And yeah, the fact that he doesn't seem to be part of the documentary doesn't mean he hates DS9. Some Trek fans are often way too quick to be offended when an actor does not take part in a documentary. There could be tons of reasons, and none of them might be "boo this actor hates Star Trek".

By the way they just reached their Indigogo funding goal for the documentary in just one day. Impressive, very impressive.

Edited by Mr.Picard

Good for them! They are at 170,000 of their 150,000 goal with like a month left to go.  Produce a whole new episode when they get enough!

As for Brooks I think he has no issue with Trek.  He hasn't avoided conventions or anything. I don't know how often he attends or if he still does, but only a few years ago I know he did a panel with all the other Captains. And I've seen pictures of him in DS9 panels.  I think he is slightly more internal and introspective...it comes off as erratic or strange, but I think he just thinks about what he wants to say, and doesn't really like to say much in fairly public settings or interviews.  I think he has more than once expressed his own admiration for the body of work that DS9 was.

Edited by kenman

TrekNews.net caught up with Adam Nimoy, son of Leonard Nimoy and director of the upoming DEEP SPACE NINE documentary DS9 WHAT WE LEFT BEHIND for an exclusive interview. Mr Nimoy is no stranger to documentaries, as he previously helmed the touching and well-reviewed remembrance of his father, FOR THE LOVE OF SPOCK, for 455 Films. Read the full interview at

I hope they max out. 

Wish I had the cash for that Nana Visitor dinner party.

I hope they make so much money that CBS takes notice and it at least gets them just considering the idea of blu-ray (a DS9 thread must always land here at some point).  But if there is a huge crowdfunding success for just a documentary about the show, it must say something to CBS about the fandom of the show.  I know it is still a fairly costly endeavor for likely little payoff in the terms of blu-ray sales, but at least for streaming and syndication it has to bring in more money.  And I do think DS9 has become slowly more popular than they realize over the years. It has some of the best shelf life of any of the 90s shows, because it was more forward thinking in its sense of storytelling. 

It would be lovely if we could crowdfund THAT project. But the goal would be HIGH to truly make it a worthwhile endeavor. 

Well, the fact that CBS is not producing this DS9 documentary, and that it has to be crowdsourced speaks volumes to that eventual (non) release of DS9 on blu ray.  

Don't get me wrong; I would LOVE to see DS9 on BR (wouldn't we ALL?), but I just don't see it happening anytime soon.  Physical media is rapidly going extinct anyway (except with collectors and old nerds like me), and the time/expense etc. involved in remastering all of those low-resolution '90s CGI FX would essentially involve redoing all the FX for most of the latter seasons (when they relied on CGI more and more).   It just doesn't seem likely, no matter how enthusiastic the funding for this documentary.   The cost of this doc is peanuts to what a full remastering of all 7 seasons of DS9 would cost.   I wish I could feel otherwise, but I just don't.