Mr.Picard

I Was Interviewed

There's a lot of Picard/Q fic that falls into this as well. "Oh come on Picard you're gay, when are you going to admit it?" Ugh. UGH. No. Stop. 

I actually find this mindset, not only a terrible crutch, but a back-handed insult because what I initially read into it is, "Oh, come on. You (the reader) know he's gay, so let's get on with it." Why? Because he's uncomfortable expressing affection publicly? Because he's, by and large, introspective and contemplative? Because he doesn't puff up and randomly punch people to prove his manliness? I've actually heard people call him effeminate, yet they seem to be unwilling or unable to explain it.

Unless, what I see as "cultured." you see as (pejorative) "gay." 

I suspect that's it, but, as I've said, they usually won't elaborate.

Edited by prometheus59650

To Mr. Picard:

Apologies to you for making it look like I didn't like your interview or your analysis, and for any undo suggestion, as I meant nothing wrong. (I will leave such to the professional commentators who are versed in such things) I just assumed since 'In His Arms' does address some of these points, (I read it), that it might come up, and it is written post Nemesis. Yes I suppose my slash/shipping was cliched and probably not cool, (one of the reasons for removing mine from another site), but I have never posted it here. Bravo for posting some and getting an interview! My stuff was probably a little homophobic, which is why also it was removed, as my co author on one of them pointed out. I know how some slash writers take it very seriously and to not find if a laughing matter that there might be a pairing. I did so for comedic and perhaps unwarranted reasons.

This morning I had a Tea, Eargy Gray and read your story. :)

Merry Christmas, ala Generations!

There's a lot of Picard/Q fic that falls into this as well. "Oh come on Picard you're gay, when are you going to admit it?" Ugh. UGH. No. Stop. 

I actually find this mindset, not only a terrible crutch, but a back-handed insult because what I initially read into it is, "Oh, come on. You (the reader) know he's gay, so let's get on with it." Why? Because he's uncomfortable expressing affection publicly? Because he's, by and large, introspective and contemplative? Because he doesn't puff up and randomly punch people to prove his manliness? I've actually heard people call him effeminate, yet they seem to be unwilling or unable to explain it.

Nope. That is not what I was thinking. I didn't intend for the slash to come out that way.

Edited by Chimera82405

To Mr. Picard:

Apologies to you for making it look like I didn't like your interview or your analysis, and for any undo suggestion, as I meant nothing wrong. (I will leave such to the professional commentators who are versed in such things) I just assumed since 'In His Arms' does address some of these points, (I read it), that it might come up, and it is written post Nemesis. Yes I suppose my slash/shipping was cliched and probably not cool, (one of the reasons for removing mine from another site), but I have never posted it here. Bravo for posting some and getting an interview! My stuff was probably a little homophobic, which is why also it was removed, as my co author on one of them pointed out. I know how some slash writers take it very seriously and to not find if a laughing matter that there might be a pairing. I did so for comedic and perhaps unwarranted reasons.

This morning I had a Tea, Eargy Gray and read your story. :)

Merry Christmas, ala Generations!

Nope. That is not what I was thinking. I didn't intend for the slash to come out that way.

I wasn't speaking to you or referring to anything you've said.

(Not being angry or snarky; just an FYI.)

Sim   

Mr Picard, that was an amazing interview! I enjoyed reading it a lot. No "creepytown" at all, IMO you come across as just as passionate as smart and self-reflexive. There is absolutely nothing in it that sounded weird (to my ears anyway), but on the contrary, I found the insights you presented intriguing (though of course I cannot take off the glasses of knowing you from here).

While I have to admit, slash fiction so far has never been my cup of tea, and so far haven't felt any interest in exploring it, I can relate to the sentiment of immersing oneself in a fictional world very much, and I strongly sympathize. If for no other reason, I might read one or two of your stories some day, just out of curiousity for your personality and your relation with Jean-Luc (though I very, very rarely read fan fiction, not counting "official" releases).

So, well done, and keep up the good work! :thumbup:

Thank you very much, Sim! I'm glad I sounded non-creepy! I always worry about not being able to bring things across the way I want to. Granted, I have more problems with this in verbal conversations than written ones, but still. I worked on these answers for hours, and I guess it paid off, I've received quite a bit of positive interview feedback in the past few days.

I recently had a conversation with a veteran TNG fic writer and she said that she's wary of the slash label for her stuff because the main goal isn't the usual "seemingly heterosexual canon character in gay relationship" thing - it's to show someone in love. She also said that slash as a label implies so much "Imma make this character gay" nonsense, and that's why she's hesitating to use it for her stuff. I must admit her words made me think - since the goal of my work is ALSO not to be all like "OMG PICARD AND A MAN", it's simply to show what happens when he falls in love with someone who stays with him and lives with him (and later also raises a kid with him although that one's more Q's doing, haha).

I understand your hesitation and I also understand not wanting to read much fan fic, I don't do it much anymore either. I'm too picky these days. But if you want, I posted a short ficlet here in the Fan Trek section a while ago that simply is about Alex and his crush on the good captain (and about Tea, Earl Grey, hot), it isn't long and I've been told it's easy to read. I'd just say try this one if you're ever so inclined. It's really not much to read and you'd get a glimpse at things. 

Thank you for the recommendation! I'll check out this story soon, as it's short, it should be a good starting point! :)

That's a good point you (or said TNG "slash" writer) make about "slash" coming with too much of a "supposedly straight character turning gay" vibe, and that for you, it's about a familiar character just being *in love*. I didn't really think about it before, but now as you say it, I never assumed anything else would be at the basis of your writing. Perhaps because I've known you and your loving enthusiasm for Jean-Luc for quite a while already! :laugh:

It's never been an issue for me that characters I was allegedly supposed to consider straight are "unnaturally" forced into the "gay" costume, or something to that extent ... by all means, screw people who attack you for that. The great thing about fan fiction is that there are no limits. If anybody has a problem with a particular story for whatever reason -- why are they reading it then? When the story is true in your mind or heart, and it's so convincing other readers find it similarly convincing, good for you and that's really all that matters.

I guess my hesitation about slash fiction, is because I generally am not very interested in sex in Star Trek in general. Perhaps my love for the characters I'm most fond of, is for reasons completely unrelated to sexuality. Jean-Luc is such an amazing character, so wise, cultured and ethically incorruptable, I love to watch him showing these best sides on the bridge, in a courtroom and so on -- and I don't care if he has sex or with whom. I guess he has, as most people have sex now and then. But it's just not particularly interesting for me, neither "canon" on screen, nor in other fiction. Perhaps I see him more like a really good boss, teacher or co-worker, someone whose professional qualities I admire, but don't need to be too close with on a personal level. I'd congratulate my favorite teacher if he got married, or I'd even say a word of encouragement if I learnt he was unhappy for love reasons; but being in his bedroom would somehow be "wrong", if that makes any sense. :laugh:

One thing that slightly irks me about Kirk/Spock slash, is that I identify with their very affectionate, but IMO non-sexual relationship very much. I've had male friends I really loved, I felt very close with, and shared things with, which made other people assume it's "homoerotic" -- while I, in all honesty, can say that this very passionate affection never included sexual desire. This "Schubladendenken" (thinking in too strict categories) by many people often angered me a little. Why do people always assume just because I love another guy so much I'd share my deepest feelings with him, reveal my weakest sides and points, and forge a strong bond -- that I would somehow also want to have sex with him? Because it just never was the case.

I've always related to the Kirk/Spock bonding as a similar kind of thing, a very deep brotherly affection and unconditional trust, *without* the need to involve sexuality -- that making Kirk and Spock a gay couple kind of ruined this image for me. It reminded me too much of the people lacking understanding, who are too quick shouting "homoerotic" the moment two guys can actually open up, show affection and cut the macho competition crap for each other. Why do people always assume that true love always comes with sexual desire?

As for your stories? Well, now I know you to some extent. I'd be curious to read about your relation with Jean-Luc, just because I like you and would learn more about you that way. I feel honored that you allow, invite me to see this very personal side of your's, and this advancement of trust alone is so commendable, I'd rather eat broken pieces of glass than somehow abusing this trust. :thumbup:

Edited by Sim

Yeah, this is where the whole "no wonder someone like YOU likes Picard, I bet he likes it the way you like it" argument comes from that I have run into on rare occasions (rare because people generally don't say this to my face). They think of him as weak and "less of a man" because he isn't some macho alpha male AND because he has the nerve (gasp) to actually NOT end up in bed with every woman he meets. To them, this gives off a "gay vibe". It's complete and utter nonsense on all levels - neither are gay men weak nor does introvert guy who prefers talking over fighting mean that the guy is is gay - but yes, it's a fairly common mindset in a certain group of fans. Ironically, those fans are very unlikely to ever touch a slash story - THAT sort of thing they find "disgusting", then. It's true though that the "Oh Picard you're gay" trope plays directly into the line of argument that these people use. I've spoken to a few (older) Picard/Q writers who used this trope and it turned out that most of them had been raised in homophobic households and that "my parents would have hated me for writing Picard and Q together". I think this definitely plays into their interpretation of the pairing - some probably just couldn't IMAGINE a world where anything that isn't heterosexual is not rejected or frowned upon. Maybe this also plays into the Kirk/Spock thing about Kirk hiding his feelings for Spock by being with so many women.

Mr Picard, that was an amazing interview! I enjoyed reading it a lot. No "creepytown" at all, IMO you come across as just as passionate as smart and self-reflexive. There is absolutely nothing in it that sounded weird (to my ears anyway), but on the contrary, I found the insights you presented intriguing (though of course I cannot take off the glasses of knowing you from here).

While I have to admit, slash fiction so far has never been my cup of tea, and so far haven't felt any interest in exploring it, I can relate to the sentiment of immersing oneself in a fictional world very much, and I strongly sympathize. If for no other reason, I might read one or two of your stories some day, just out of curiousity for your personality and your relation with Jean-Luc (though I very, very rarely read fan fiction, not counting "official" releases).

So, well done, and keep up the good work! :thumbup:

Thank you very much, Sim! I'm glad I sounded non-creepy! I always worry about not being able to bring things across the way I want to. Granted, I have more problems with this in verbal conversations than written ones, but still. I worked on these answers for hours, and I guess it paid off, I've received quite a bit of positive interview feedback in the past few days.

I recently had a conversation with a veteran TNG fic writer and she said that she's wary of the slash label for her stuff because the main goal isn't the usual "seemingly heterosexual canon character in gay relationship" thing - it's to show someone in love. She also said that slash as a label implies so much "Imma make this character gay" nonsense, and that's why she's hesitating to use it for her stuff. I must admit her words made me think - since the goal of my work is ALSO not to be all like "OMG PICARD AND A MAN", it's simply to show what happens when he falls in love with someone who stays with him and lives with him (and later also raises a kid with him although that one's more Q's doing, haha).

I understand your hesitation and I also understand not wanting to read much fan fic, I don't do it much anymore either. I'm too picky these days. But if you want, I posted a short ficlet here in the Fan Trek section a while ago that simply is about Alex and his crush on the good captain (and about Tea, Earl Grey, hot), it isn't long and I've been told it's easy to read. I'd just say try this one if you're ever so inclined. It's really not much to read and you'd get a glimpse at things. 

Thank you for the recommendation! I'll check out this story soon, as it's short, it should be a good starting point! :)

That's a good point you (or said TNG "slash" writer) make about "slash" coming with too much of a "supposedly straight character turning gay" vibe, and that for you, it's about a familiar character just being *in love*. I didn't really think about it before, but now as you say it, I never assumed anything else would be at the basis of your writing. Perhaps because I've known you and your loving enthusiasm for Jean-Luc for quite a while already! :laugh:

It's never been an issue for me that characters I was allegedly supposed to consider straight are "unnaturally" forced into the "gay" costume, or something to that extent ... by all means, screw people who attack you for that. The great thing about fan fiction is that there are no limits. If anybody has a problem with a particular story for whatever reason -- why are they reading it then? When the story is true in your mind or heart, and it's so convincing other readers find it similarly convincing, good for you and that's really all that matters.

I guess my hesitation about slash fiction, is because I generally am not very interested in sex in Star Trek in general. Perhaps my love for the characters I'm most fond of, is for reasons completely unrelated to sexuality. Jean-Luc is such an amazing character, so wise, cultured and ethically incorruptable, I love to watch him showing these best sides on the bridge, in a courtroom and so on -- and I don't care if he has sex or with whom. I guess he has, as most people have sex now and then. But it's just not particularly interesting for me, neither "canon" on screen, nor in other fiction. Perhaps I see him more like a really good boss, teacher or co-worker, someone whose professional qualities I admire, but don't need to be too close with on a personal level. I'd congratulate my favorite teacher if he got married, or I'd even say a word of encouragement if I learnt he was unhappy for love reasons; but being in his bedroom would somehow be "wrong", if that makes any sense. :laugh:

One thing that slightly irks me about Kirk/Spock slash, is that I identify with their very affectionate, but IMO non-sexual relationship very much. I've had male friends I really loved, I felt very close with, and shared things with, which made other people assume it's "homoerotic" -- while I, in all honesty, can say that this very passionate affection never included sexual desire. This "Schubladendenken" (thinking in too strict categories) by many people often angered me a little. Why do people always assume just because I love another guy so much I'd share my deepest feelings with him, reveal my weakest sides and points, and forge a strong bond -- that I would somehow also want to have sex with him? Because it just never was the case.

I've always related to the Kirk/Spock bonding as a similar kind of thing, a very deep brotherly affection and unconditional trust, *without* the need to involve sexuality -- that making Kirk and Spock a gay couple kind of ruined this image for me. It reminded me too much of the people lacking understanding, who are too quick shouting "homoerotic" the moment two guys can actually open up, show affection and cut the macho competition crap for each other. Why do people always assume that true love always comes with sexual desire?

As for your stories? Well, now I know you to some extent. I'd be curious to read about your relation with Jean-Luc, just because I like you and would learn more about you that way. I feel honored that you allow, invite me to see this very personal side of your's, and this advancement of trust alone is so commendable, I'd rather eat broken pieces of glass than somehow abusing this trust. :thumbup:

It's a short little ficlet, nothing too deep or heavy or anything. It should serve as a nice little introduction. (And it's NOT explicit, there isn't even a kiss or anything. Nothing of that sort.)

It's a common misconception that slash automatically equals NC-17 rated stories though. Most of my stories are NOT x-rated. Those that are usually have one more or less  detailed naughty scene and that's the end of it. It doesn't go on for pages over pages - I'm not interested in writing such a thing in the first place. There are slash writers who do this but I'm not one of them. If a story of mine is marked "mature" it doesn't always mean explicit moments - I also mark them "mature" if there's violence, for example. Therefore the rating is not always an automatic indicator for naughty scenes. The JLP/Alex relationship is not built on naughty moments, on the contrary, this kind of thing is an added bonus for them, not a basis. They are both perfectly content with just sitting next to each other in bed, each of them with a book in his hand. So all in all there shouldn't be too many naughty moments that could throw you off. Some are there, yes, but it's not that every part is extremely graphic and explicit. I wouldn't like such a thing either, it would not do the relationship justice and it would twist both characters into something neither of them actually is. But they are in a relationship and neither of them is asexual (demi, maybe, yes) so there's a bit of stuff going on. But honestly, it's not much. Too many graphic scenes can actually also RUIN a story. For example, there's a Picard/Q writer out there who has naughty scenes at EVERY possible moment. There is plot as well but it's constantly interrupted by naughty scenes (that often are also highly unrealistic, I don't know where she got her inspiration from but it's definitely not gay bed reality, lol) and it's the most irritating thing to read. It's well written and all and her work is rightfully viewed as a milestone for the P/Q pairing as a whole but it's still very... strange.

So don't worry about too many bed scenes. I don't write them too often. Some of my readers even complain about this fact. ;) 

People have also told me that my Picard/Alex stories tell them a lot about me - of course they do, they have a main character who is basically me - so for THAT they should work nicely for you, I guess!

Edited by Mr.Picard

^
Very very much what maneth said.   

Between that terrific interview and your wonderful meeting with Sir Patrick?  I'm just THRILLED that you're having the kind of year you've so long deserved, my friend. :thumbup:

Great interview, Mr.Picard! :thumbup: Not creepy at all, quite the contrary.

Thank you, maneth! :) 

^

Between that terrific interview and your wonderful meeting with Sir Patrick?  I'm just THRILLED that you're having the kind of year you've so long deserved, my friend. :thumbup:

Thanks, Sehlat! It has been a rather exciting year for me although I spent most of it (until October 11th) in a state of complete and utter anxiety because TRAVELING LONDON SIR PATRICK EEEEEK. ;)  

^

Thanks, Sehlat! It has been a rather exciting year for me although I spent most of it (until October 11th) in a state of complete and utter anxiety because TRAVELING LONDON SIR PATRICK EEEEEK. ;)  

Don't blame you!   But then again... Sir Patrick! :thumbup:

^

It helps me tremendously to know that he appreciates my work for him and also my love for Jean-Luc, yes. I honestly don't think I would have continued writing otherwise.

^

It helps me tremendously to know that he appreciates my work for him and also my love for Jean-Luc, yes. I honestly don't think I would have continued writing otherwise.

Sounds like he was every bit the wonderful man you'd hoped;  I am ridiculously glad for you!   :thumbup:

^

Sounds like he was every bit the wonderful man you'd hoped;  I am ridiculously glad for you!   :thumbup:

He was even MORE wonderful than I thought he'd be. :inlove: Thank you!