Mr.Picard

I Was Interviewed

I was recently interviewed by a slash fan fic magazine that focuses on slash writers, fandom folks and all that. Since they hadn't had a Trek fan before they jumped at it when I (jokingly actually) suggested they interview me.

Here is the interview, it has now been published.

If you're looking for me, I'll be hiding under my desk. I'm SO not used to spotlight. (I'll be careful from now on about "jokingly making suggestions".)

tumblr_mvx3vhmne51szkbkbo1_250.gif

I was recently interviewed by a slash fan fic magazine that focuses on slash writers, fandom folks and all that. Since they hadn't had a Trek fan before they jumped at it when I (jokingly actually) suggested they interview me.

If you're looking for me, I'll be hiding under my desk. I'm SO not used to spotlight. (I'll be careful from now on about "jokingly making suggestions".)

That was an amazing interview!

And yes, I like your observation that your character of Alex is a version of yourself that was raised in TNG's 24th century.  I wonder what each of us would (or could) be like in such a nurturing, potential-fulfilling environment...

Well done!  So proud of you. :)

And yes, I like your observation that your character of Alex is a version of yourself that was raised in TNG's 24th century.  I wonder what each of us would (or could) be like in such a nurturing, potential-fulfilling environment...

Thank you! I'm just glad I had all the time in the world to write down the answers. If I had had to do this verbally I'd have ended up crying in a corner. But I really wanted to represent TNG and the slash section of the Trek fandom, I guess this is what drove me to jokingly ask them to interview me in the first place. And, of course, my Sir Patrick fandom - I was really happy when I saw that they separated the sections the way they did since I separate Jean-Luc and Sir Patrick as well.

Even in the 24th century environment there are problems, though - Alex' mother heavily disapproves of what he's doing (thinks he should have pursued a university career, he studied and gave up, much like I did, although he did it voluntarily while I failed too many Latin exams) and at first she also REALLY hates his relationship with Jean-Luc and even shows up on the Enterprise to voice her disapproval - a situation Jean-Luc is SO not used to. So, Alex' life is not all perfect, but essentially, yes, he's my 24th century alter ego, without as many issues as I have but still definitely recognizable as me. And, of course, he doesn't have to deal with many issues we have to deal with in our time, that one's true for sure. (Although he tends to be drawn into other issues - being married to a starship captain brings trouble sometimes!)

Thank you! I'm just glad I had all the time in the world to write down the answers. If I had had to do this verbally I'd have ended up crying in a corner. But I really wanted to represent TNG and the slash section of the Trek fandom, I guess this is what drove me to jokingly ask them to interview me in the first place. And, of course, my Sir Patrick fandom - I was really happy when I saw that they separated the sections the way they did since I separate Jean-Luc and Sir Patrick as well.

Even in the 24th century environment there are problems, though - Alex' mother heavily disapproves of what he's doing (thinks he should have pursued a university career, he studied and gave up, much like I did, although he did it voluntarily while I failed too many Latin exams) and at first she also REALLY hates his relationship with Jean-Luc and even shows up on the Enterprise to voice her disapproval - a situation Jean-Luc is SO not used to. So, Alex' life is not all perfect, but essentially, yes, he's my 24th century alter ego, without as many issues as I have but still definitely recognizable as me. And, of course, he doesn't have to deal with many issues we have to deal with in our time, that one's true for sure. (Although he tends to be drawn into other issues - being married to a starship captain brings trouble sometimes!)

I like Alex because he is a bit rough around the edges.   Yes, he's still living in the 24th century utopia, but he's got issues (who among us doesn't have issues, right?).  It makes him very human.   I think every writer puts pieces of themselves in their characters.  Writing (good writing, not the hack stuff) is a very brave and personal act.   It's allowing someone an intimate glimpse into who one really is... that takes courage.

I like Alex because he is a bit rough around the edges.   Yes, he's still living in the 24th century utopia, but he's got issues (who among us doesn't have issues, right?).  It makes him very human.   I think every writer puts pieces of themselves in their characters.  Writing (good writing, not the hack stuff) is a very brave and personal act.   It's allowing someone an intimate glimpse into who one really is... that takes courage.

Every writer puts themselves into one or more characters, that's true - but only a handful of them are open about doing so because you immediately get "omg Mary Sue!" accusations, especially in fan fic. I can't not be open about it - the similarities between Alex and me are too obvious. :laugh: 

Every writer puts themselves into one or more characters, that's true - but only a handful of them are open about doing so because you immediately get "omg Mary Sue!" accusations, especially in fan fic. I can't not be open about it - the similarities between Alex and me are too obvious. :laugh: 

And he's not a Mary Sue/Gary Stu either.   He's not perfect; he doesn't save the ship.   He's just a loving soulmate (and bartender) to someone who needs it, even if they didn't realize that they needed it.  There's a lot of value in that role as well. 

And he's not a Mary Sue/Gary Stu either.   He's not perfect; he doesn't save the ship.   He's just a loving soulmate (and bartender) to someone who needs it, even if they didn't realize that they needed it.  There's a lot of value in that role as well. 

He wouldn't dream of saving the ship - not to mention that he couldn't do so anyway since he isn't in Starfleet (and he's not a super alien either, he's just a guy). And he's also a loving father now AND in my latest part he's the one who convinces Jean-Luc that maybe, just maybe, it's time to give up the captain's chair and change things for their son's sake. He has a lot of influence on Jean-Luc but he would never use it unless he felt there's no other way. He's an advisor most of the time, nothing more. And you're right, the role is very valuable although some might call it "boring" since Alex and Jean-Luc have a very steady relationship, built on trust and mutual respect and not endless arguments or cheating or whatever else.

Pretty great interview, Mr. Picard! I think you come across very well - and I had no idea you run those news concerns on Sir Patrick, which i will be looking in on being as he is one of my favorite human beings. Not having read any of your fanfic, I can't comment on it, but the homophobic element of the Internet that finds cause to criticize you because you're being creative can go f@#k itself. Good for you! :)

PS Writing... a thing I will venture I know a thing or two about, so I say this in the spirit of solidarity... I find is as much judicious self-editiing as it is that first rush of getting it all down. They're different aspects of the creative process, and I too struggle as much with the editorial part as anyone. The agony of rewriting is seldom the same as that inspired waterfall of early ideas, but in a strange way, that aspect of crafting and refining is as satisfying as letting the story through in the first place, isn't it?

Anyway, hats off to you!

Edited by Robin Bland

Pretty great interview, Mr. Picard! I think you come across very well - and I had no idea you run those news concerns on Sir Patrick, which i will be looking in on being as he is one of my favorite human beings. Not having read any of your fanfic, I can't comment on it, but the homophobic element of the Internet that finds cause to criticize you because you're being creative can go f@#k itself. Good for you! :)

PS Writing... a thing I will venture I know a thing or two about, so I say this in the spirit of solidarity... I find is as much judicious self-editiing as it is that first rush of getting it all down. They're different aspects of the creative process, and I too struggle as much with the editorial part as anyone. The agony of rewriting is seldom the same as that inspired waterfall of early ideas, but in a strange way, that aspect of crafting and refining is as satisfying as letting the story through in the first place, isn't it?

Anyway, hats off to you!

Thank you, Robin! I'm glad I managed to come across as okay - it's always a thin line between being simply an enthusiastic fan and Creepytown. However, I do have to say that I would never have been allowed to meet Sir Patrick the way I did if he had felt I was creepy, so there's that. I guess that speaks for me. Somehow. (?)

I do basically post the same stuff here on this board in my Sir Patrick topic, but yeah, sometimes I add other stuff on the Twitter or Tumblr - some things just work better on social media than message boards, so, feel free to check out the pages!

Oh yeah, I'm always pleased when I have that final chapter version in front of me and can hit the "post" button, but even then I'm still filled with anxiety. I don't have a lot of faith in my writing despite what my readers tell me. And, of course, there's always that underlying fear of having some homophobe walk in and be like "ewwwww" or "how dare you write such abnormal filth about Picard". Wouldn't be the first time, unfortunately.

Edited by Mr.Picard

Good interview if not a little too informative. I would not have gone on with so much detail, especially if I was as uneasy being in public scrutiny over shipping. I am not uneasy though. I like the spotlight.

The character you play reminds me of the earlier Gary Stu Mary Sue type, the one that did not save the ship, but was just the foil for the writer putting them in a relationship with Kirk or Spock, back in the day. The concept is broad.

It reminds me also of Hidden Frontiers/Odyssey, the LGBT fan film series, TNG era, where the pairing is an officer on the ship and a civilian. Although I have the same real name as one of the actors/writers, I have never worked on the show, despite having an excited friend who wanted a walk on role once! I could not help with that. I've never been on HF.

Although I do also ship fiction, I took all of it down after the June 2016 Star Trek fan film guidelines, for fear my stories would also be taken out. One of them had been a Quark and Odo one, and a Kira and Kai Wynn one. Mostly I did them as humor pairings, not homophobic, but funny, like you would not except them to be together. 

Yours seem more wise sage/student slash, Picard being the wise sage and your character the student, er relation. And it would be, considering your character (not you) would actually be ages younger than he was.

According to canon, Picard was born in 2305, and was over 60 when the show started, even if Stewart the actor was about 45. No in 2393, that would make him 88 years old. If Alex was say, 35 or so during TNG, he would be 30 years younger. Maybe. I am nit picking.

Edited by Chimera82405

Good interview if not a little too informative. I would not have gone on with so much detail, especially if I was as uneasy being in public scrutiny over shipping. I am not uneasy though. I like the spotlight.

Then you should understand that it took tremendous courage to do this interview; and just how can an interview be 'too informative' (whatever that means)?   Mr. Picard gave the interview in that forum because they're an open-minded forum (it was for a slash fic site... you understand that, right?).

The character you play reminds me of the earlier Gary Stu Mary Sue type, the one that did not save the ship, but was just the foil for the writer putting them in a relationship with Kirk or Spock, back in the day. The concept is broad.

If you've actually read Alex's role in the fic?  His relationship with Picard isn't your typical 'the-captain-falls-for-him/her-at-hello' story.   It's much more nuanced and gradual.  

And any time an author introduces a new character to the mix, that character usually has something of the author in him/her.   Alex is also a very healthy means of escape from this world and into another that is more open and accepting.   It's a healthy (and wonderfully entertaining) release.

Yours seem more wise sage/student slash, Picard being the wise sage and your character the student, er relation. And it would be, considering your character (not you) would actually be ages younger than he was.

According to canon, Picard was born in 2305, and was over 60 when the show started, even if Stewart the actor was about 45. No in 2393, that would make him 88 years old. If Alex was say, 35 or so during TNG, he would be 30 years younger. Maybe. I am nit picking.

Yeah, you are, I think.  

Have you read the "In These Arms" stories?  Because if you actually read any of them, their age difference is dealt with.  Picard doesn't enter into the relationship lightly.  In fact, it's the younger Alex who is instrumental in drawing Picard out and getting him over his reservations.  I thought their relationship was very well-written and very adult

And personally, I think age is between the two consenting partners;  if both are legal-age and going into the relationship without one taking advantage of the other?  I say mazel-tov to both.   I only draw my personal line when one partner is not of consenting legal age, or one partner is clearly taking advantage of the other.  Picard enters into his relationship with Alex very hesitantly; just as he's done on the series.  It's very much in character for him. 

Life is too short to waste it worrying about what others think/feel about you or your relationships.   Enjoy them and to hell with others' hangups.  ;)

Then you should understand that it took tremendous courage to do this interview; and just how can an interview be 'too informative' (whatever that means)?   Mr. Picard gave the interview in that forum because they're an open-minded forum (it was for a slash fic site... you understand that, right?).

If you've actually read Alex's role in the fic?  His relationship with Picard isn't your typical 'the-captain-falls-for-him/her-at-hello' story.   It's much more nuanced and gradual.  

And any time an author introduces a new character to the mix, that character usually has something of the author in him/her.   Alex is also a very healthy means of escape from this world and into another that is more open and accepting.   It's a healthy (and wonderfully entertaining) release.

Yeah, you are, I think.  

Have you read the "In These Arms" stories?  Because if you actually read any of them, their age difference is dealt with.  Picard doesn't enter into the relationship lightly.  In fact, it's the younger Alex who is instrumental in drawing Picard out and getting him over his reservations.  I thought their relationship was very well-written and very adult

And personally, I think age is between the two consenting partners;  if both are legal-age and going into the relationship without one taking advantage of the other?  I say mazel-tov to both.   I only draw my personal line when one partner is not of consenting legal age, or one partner is clearly taking advantage of the other.  Picard enters into his relationship with Alex very hesitantly; just as he's done on the series.  It's very much in character for him. 

Life is too short to waste it worrying about what others think/feel about you or your relationships.   Enjoy them and to hell with others' hangups.  ;)

Nobody said anything about age of consent. I certainly didn't imply that. Gads no.

KS stories were usually about just what you said, Kirk and Spock as companions, not just love at first sight. I do not think I implied love at first sight. Quark and Odo for instance, would not be that.

Ah but you glossed over the Hidden Frontiers part, where they indeed have such a relationship in the fan show. But I have not read the slash story all the way. I got lost somewhere. Maybe I will try again later. It is a complement that what I have read reminds me of that show. :)

Yeah, you are, I think.  

Nobody said anything about age of consent. I certainly didn't imply that. Gads no.

KS stories were usually about just what you said, Kirk and Spock as companions, not just love at first sight. I do not think I implied love at first sight. Quark and Odo for instance, would not be that.

Ah but you glossed over the Hidden Frontiers part, where they indeed have such a relationship in the fan show. But I have not read the slash story all the way. I got lost somewhere. Maybe I will try again later. It is a complement that what I have read reminds me of that show. :)

I glossed over "Hidden Frontiers" because it's not relevant.

Since TNG started when I was 16, I cannot imagine this scenario happening between say a character my age, back then, and a Picard, as to me he is the grumpy old captain who likes his tea Earl Grey, Hot, lets Number One handle Wesley's issues, and doesn't want children on the bridge, and liked to say 'Shut up, Wesley' sometimes. ! I seem him as a type of mentor, but not a father figure, as that would be weird to me.

I was not at first thinking of it in terms of some kind of age of consent thing until Vie corrected me. But now that I think about it, that is exactly why I would not have included such a type of thing in my shipping. I used to pair him with Riker, a little too obvious, but then Q, which is much better. So all I meant by the age thing is I didn't think he was a romantic figure. After all, to me he is considerably a senior and commander, as a character. 

Being a little older than Wil Wheaton, but I did not know him, I tend to identify with that generation, and was more interested in the women, like Yar and Troi and Kheyler. (I am presently 46).

Edited by Chimera82405

Since TNG started when I was 16, I cannot imagine this scenario happening between say a character my age, back then, and a Picard, as to me he is the grumpy old captain who likes his tea Earl Grey, Hot, lets Number One handle Wesley's issues, and doesn't want children on the bridge, and liked to say 'Shut up, Wesley' sometimes. ! I seem him as a type of mentor, but not a father figure, as that would be weird to me.

I was not at first thinking of it in terms of some kind of age of consent thing until Vie corrected me. But now that I think about it, that is exactly why I would not have included such a type of thing in my shipping. I used to pair him with Riker, a little too obvious, but then Q, which is much better. So all I meant by the age thing is I didn't think he was a romantic figure. After all, to me he is considerably a senior and commander, as a character. 

Being a little older than Wil Wheaton, but I did not know him, I tend to identify with that generation, and was more interested in the women, like Yar and Troi and Kheyler. (I am presently 46).

You're free to imagine the characters however you'd like.  

Personally, I think "In These Arms" is very credible, and Picard 'feels' like Picard to me within the story.  I enjoy the chapters and I wasn't a big slash fan till I read Mr. Picard's work.  Mr Picard's fic is a cut above, IMO.

It takes much courage to post one's work online for public scrutiny, but if you don't agree with the vision presented?  Write your own.  It's a free internet.   The purpose of this thread was Mr. Picard's sharing of his interview, which I enjoyed very much; not to nitpick his work over hangups with ageism or any other personal nits.

You're free to imagine the characters however you'd like.  

Personally, I think "In These Arms" is very credible, and Picard 'feels' like Picard to me within the story.  I enjoy the chapters and I wasn't a big slash fan till I read Mr. Picard's work.  Mr Picard's fic is a cut above, IMO.

It takes much courage to post one's work online for public scrutiny, but if you don't agree with the vision presented?  Write your own.  It's a free internet.   The purpose of this thread was Mr. Picard's sharing of his interview, which I enjoyed very much; not to nitpick his work over hangups with ageism or any other personal nits.

Pretty much his all around.

Need to say a few things here as a moderator:

One of the most wonderful things that I love about this site is that we offer members a safe place to share their talents with the rest of us.  It takes tremendous courage for our members to share a personal piece of themselves on this board.  It's a privilege, as I see it.  

This thread is about one of our own getting a nice interview in recognition of their talent.   We should applaud that, and not nitpick over perceptions about their work; especially if one hasn't even bothered to actually read that work, or read it in its entirety.   This is not a thread for nitpicking; this is a thread about one of our own getting a nice writeup.  Criticism of the nature of the 'morality' of the work (be it sexual, or ageist) in this thread is NOT appreciated NOR invited.  

One of the greatest things about the internet and fan fiction is freedom.   If one's work (be it art, graphics or fanfic) is not to your personal satisfaction or upsets your personal morality apple cart?   Please write your own.  And post it in our fanfic section... or don't.   Whatever. 

But this is not the time or place to nitpick and criticize a valued member who just received this kind of appreciation/recognition. 

Thanks.

Thank you, Sehlat.

I strongly resent some of the remarks that were made about elements of my story here but I shall refrain from addressing them in detail - just this: I have never viewed Jean-Luc as a father figure or some old wise man who must not be touched. He is a human being, a flawed one, like we all are, and to me he is MUCH more than the commanding officer of a starship. He has never been a "mentor" to me in ANY way. That is NOT what this whole thing is about AT ALL. Jean-Luc is his own person. I am my own person. I love him because he's Jean-Luc Picard, not because he is much older and wise and a mentor or anything. To me he is simply Jean-Luc. And that's it. This is my viewpoint and therefore naturally the basis of all my work. If that doesn't go with peoples' interpretation of him, I would indeed advise them to not read my stuff in the first place and/or write their own. 

Furthermore, also speaking strictly as a moderator, I would like to point out the unspoken "if you can't say anything nice, say nothing at all" rule that is generally observed in this section when it comes to other peoples' fan work that they post here. Our goal is to encourage people to post their work or articles/interviews that deal with their work, not tear it apart with nitpicking influenced by personal experiences/opinions.

rta-man   

Mr.Picard, I loved your interview.  It was very professional and detailed.  I had to smile when you mentioned that you wrote your answers in advance.  When I've sent gaming questions in advance to developers for interviews, I sometimes wished they also wrote their answers in advance.  At times, there were on-the-spot answers I believed the fans didn't want to hear.

Your fan fiction is getting noticed.  That's great!  Very few people have the courage to chase their passion.  They restrict themselves by what other people think.  It's good to see that you don't let that happen to you.  It reminds me of Tom Petty's song"Runnin' Down A Dream"

BTW, Fröhliche Weihnachten!

Mr.Picard, I loved your interview.  It was very professional and detailed.  I had to smile when you mentioned that you wrote your answers in advance.  When I've sent gaming questions in advance to developers for interviews, I sometimes wished they also wrote their answers in advance.  At times, there were on-the-spot answers I believed the fans didn't want to hear.

Your fan fiction is getting noticed.  That's great!  Very few people have the courage to chase their passion.  They restrict themselves by what other people think.  It's good to see that you don't let that happen to you.  It reminds me of Tom Petty's song"Runnin' Down A Dream"

BTW, Fröhliche Weihnachten!

Danke! ;) 

I got the questions and they gave me all the time in the world to answer them. That helped a lot indeed, I needed some time to think of the right words!

And I'm glad you liked the interview... and indeed I'm not someone who hides this kind of thing. It has made me a bit of a person to turn to for those (mostly younger people) who have similar feelings for a fictional character and are ashamed of it because they fear society's reaction. I was a bit hesitant at first to accept this kind of position but by now I'm embracing it.

Thanks again for your kind words! :) 

How the hell did this thread descend into what it has?

Just wanted to say to Mr. Picard that that was a great interview, in part because I have some sense of what it took for you to get into such an interview.

And I do have to say, I like your slash because you grasp the characters and showing that is as important as showing anything else. If you can get those right, it works. Otherwise it's just a salacious vignette that doesn't mean much. I remember reading a bit of Kira/Jadzia Dax slash that thought conveying Dax's propensity for snark meant making her sound like an 80s valley girl which...ummm...didn't work, to say the least. :)

Kudos all around. 

Just wanted to say to Mr. Picard that that was a great interview, in part because I have some sense of what it took for you to get into such an interview.

And I do have to say, I like your slash because you grasp the characters and showing that is as important as showing anything else. If you can get those right, it works. Otherwise it's just a salacious vignette that doesn't mean much. I remember reading a bit of Kira/Jadzia Dax slash that thought conveying Dax's propensity for snark meant making her sound like an 80s valley girl which...ummm...didn't work, to say the least. :)

Kudos all around. 

Thank you so much Prom! Yes, it took me quite a bit to get myself to do that interview. I'm usually not someone who enjoys this kind of spotlight, and I'll be happy to retreat back into the fannish shadows, it's where I work best from. ;) 

I'm glad you like my slash! I agree - slash is a genre that only works if you make it believable by getting the characters right. Something like that can be very, very tricky, and you have to constantly work on it, especially with a character like Jean-Luc. He's complicated enough as it is, but him in LOVE is even MORE complicated. I still sit there sometimes and edit and edit and am like "would you PLEASE cooperate now, darling?" :laugh: 

Sim   

Mr Picard, that was an amazing interview! I enjoyed reading it a lot. No "creepytown" at all, IMO you come across as just as passionate as smart and self-reflexive. There is absolutely nothing in it that sounded weird (to my ears anyway), but on the contrary, I found the insights you presented intriguing (though of course I cannot take off the glasses of knowing you from here).

While I have to admit, slash fiction so far has never been my cup of tea, and so far haven't felt any interest in exploring it, I can relate to the sentiment of immersing oneself in a fictional world very much, and I strongly sympathize. If for no other reason, I might read one or two of your stories some day, just out of curiousity for your personality and your relation with Jean-Luc (though I very, very rarely read fan fiction, not counting "official" releases).

So, well done, and keep up the good work! :thumbup:

Kudos all around. 

Thank you so much Prom! Yes, it took me quite a bit to get myself to do that interview. I'm usually not someone who enjoys this kind of spotlight, and I'll be happy to retreat back into the fannish shadows, it's where I work best from. ;) 

I'm glad you like my slash! I agree - slash is a genre that only works if you make it believable by getting the characters right. Something like that can be very, very tricky, and you have to constantly work on it, especially with a character like Jean-Luc. He's complicated enough as it is, but him in LOVE is even MORE complicated. I still sit there sometimes and edit and edit and am like "would you PLEASE cooperate now, darling?" :laugh: 

Yes. Once you grasp their nature as people, it's easy to find the 'in" that a reader can look to and say, "Yeah, I can see how they'd go there." Picard is a man of honest introspection and if he felt love for someone, he'd own it regardless. And, again, some people forget that this whole gay/straight/however you feel spectrum is an issue NOW, not there. The galaxy is a big place with a lot more to be concerned with than if Amy and Susan want to kiss.

I saw a lot of K/S slash back in the day that tried to jump off from "Kirk womanizer because 'in closet.' It never made because I knew no one would care. It's out of character, so it doesn't work. The more nuanced stuff that came later did once people started realizing that this is a man who womanized as much in a search of connection as any attraction. And here is Spock, one of the few constants in his universe that he knows cares for him to the point that, in those unguarded moments, Spock admits to shame over the depth of his feelings. For Kirk, this is a man he sacrificed his career for just to, for all he knew, recover Spock's body and lay him to proper rest.

It's a love that almost transcends sex. But, if you 'get' that it's easy to get them into bed together.

...If any of my ramblings make sense anyway. :) 

Mr Picard, that was an amazing interview! I enjoyed reading it a lot. No "creepytown" at all, IMO you come across as just as passionate as smart and self-reflexive. There is absolutely nothing in it that sounded weird (to my ears anyway), but on the contrary, I found the insights you presented intriguing (though of course I cannot take off the glasses of knowing you from here).

While I have to admit, slash fiction so far has never been my cup of tea, and so far haven't felt any interest in exploring it, I can relate to the sentiment of immersing oneself in a fictional world very much, and I strongly sympathize. If for no other reason, I might read one or two of your stories some day, just out of curiousity for your personality and your relation with Jean-Luc (though I very, very rarely read fan fiction, not counting "official" releases).

So, well done, and keep up the good work! :thumbup:

Thank you very much, Sim! I'm glad I sounded non-creepy! I always worry about not being able to bring things across the way I want to. Granted, I have more problems with this in verbal conversations than written ones, but still. I worked on these answers for hours, and I guess it paid off, I've received quite a bit of positive interview feedback in the past few days.

I recently had a conversation with a veteran TNG fic writer and she said that she's wary of the slash label for her stuff because the main goal isn't the usual "seemingly heterosexual canon character in gay relationship" thing - it's to show someone in love. She also said that slash as a label implies so much "Imma make this character gay" nonsense, and that's why she's hesitating to use it for her stuff. I must admit her words made me think - since the goal of my work is ALSO not to be all like "OMG PICARD AND A MAN", it's simply to show what happens when he falls in love with someone who stays with him and lives with him (and later also raises a kid with him although that one's more Q's doing, haha).

I understand your hesitation and I also understand not wanting to read much fan fic, I don't do it much anymore either. I'm too picky these days. But if you want, I posted a short ficlet here in the Fan Trek section a while ago that simply is about Alex and his crush on the good captain (and about Tea, Earl Grey, hot), it isn't long and I've been told it's easy to read. I'd just say try this one if you're ever so inclined. It's really not much to read and you'd get a glimpse at things. 

Kudos all around. 

Yes. Once you grasp their nature as people, it's easy to find the 'in" that a reader can look to and say, "Yeah, I can see how they'd go there." Picard is a man of honest introspection and if he felt love for someone, he'd own it regardless. And, again, some people forget that this whole gay/straight/however you feel spectrum is an issue NOW, not there. The galaxy is a big place with a lot more to be concerned with than if Amy and Susan want to kiss.

I saw a lot of K/S slash back in the day that tried to jump off from "Kirk womanizer because 'in closet.' It never made because I knew no one would care. It's out of character, so it doesn't work. The more nuanced stuff that came later did once people started realizing that this is a man who womanized as much in a search of connection as any attraction. And here is Spock, one of the few constants in his universe that he knows cares for him to the point that, in those unguarded moments, Spock admits to shame over the depth of his feelings. For Kirk, this is a man he sacrificed his career for just to, for all he knew, recover Spock's body and lay him to proper rest.

It's a love that almost transcends sex. But, if you 'get' that it's easy to get them into bed together.

...If any of my ramblings make sense anyway. :) 

They make perfect sense! People do often forget that the terms gay and straight don't really MATTER in the Trek future.

I know of the "this character is in the closet, omg omg" thing and it's most unfortunate if you ask me. It ISN'T like that anymore in the future and it irks me when people write slash that has this trope. There's a lot of Picard/Q fic that falls into this as well. "Oh come on Picard you're gay, when are you going to admit it?" Ugh. UGH. No. Stop. Or the whole "Picard had a fling with a guy decades ago at the Academy but it was all just nervous youth stuff and eeeeeeh omg BUT could he be gay now" trope. It's the 24th century, if Jean-Luc liked men only he would have acted that way, there is no need for any kind of closet. (The whole "gay or straight there's nothing in between" is another trope I can't stand but that goes without saying I guess.) With Kirk and Spock you of course also have the already mentioned "Kirk is a womanizer because he's secretly in love with Spock" trope, which is indeed just as unfortunate as the ones I just mentioned. But I'll leave the details of that relationship to the Kirk/Spock writing experts! :laugh: 

The bottom line here is that slash is an incredibly complicated genre if you want to do it right and WITHOUT tropes that are influenced by our present society's attitude towards these things.