Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Space Elf

What Order Would You Watch The Series In?

8 posts in this topic

There was a thread placed here a while back and someone commented that anyone could watch the TOS in any order as none of the other episodes referenced or continued with each other except for the two part episode "The Menagerie".

So my question would be if you got to change the order what would be your order or would you leave it as is?

I would make "The Menagerie" the series finale and move the two episodes at the end of season three into the two slots of season one.

The reason behind this is since this is the series finale it would be honoring the look back at the original episode as well as being a fresh episode. It feels like a series finale with the look back to how it all began. I don't know if my explanation would do it justice but I honestly feel that if we could watch the show  out of order then this would be the episodes I pick for the series finale.

There was a thread placed here a while back and someone commented that anyone could watch the TOS in any order as none of the other episodes referenced or continued with each other except for the two part episode "The Menagerie".

So my question would be if you got to change the order what would be your order or would you leave it as is?

I would make "The Menagerie" the series finale and move the two episodes at the end of season three into the two slots of season one.

The reason behind this is since this is the series finale it would be honoring the look back at the original episode as well as being a fresh episode. It feels like a series finale with the look back to how it all began. I don't know if my explanation would do it justice but I honestly feel that if we could watch the show  out of order then this would be the episodes I pick for the series finale.

I grew up watching TOS (and TAS) in random order syndication, but if I had a choice?  I suppose I'd have preferred to see them in production order.   You can see the natural progressions in terminology, uniforms,  sets, etc.   The show makes more 'sense' that way IMO.   

I can't really imagine watching "Where No Man..." as the third regular episode, when it has so little continuity with the episodes before it.   Or "Corbomite Maneuver" as the 10th, when it really feels like the first true episode (beyond the pilots).   I prefer seeing the show's natural progression, rather than the rather arbitrary broadcast order. 

And while "Turnabout Intruder" makes a horrible series' finale?  I'm not sure any of the other S3 episodes would fit any better.   Maybe "Savage Curtain" since Kirk meets his lifelong hero (Abe Lincoln) and Spock meets his hero Surak.  Both men watch their heroes die, and that final scene on the bridge has a nice ambiguous line from Kirk about how, "There's still so much of their work to be done in the galaxy..."   For some reason, that line seems a better place to end the series than Kirk going on about how Janice Lester would've been much happier if only she lacked ambition and behaved like a good little submissive (have I mentioned how much I just LOATHE "Turnabout Intruder"?).

I've always preferred watching the show in production order as well even if it means that going through the DVDs is very annoying, you have to grab a new DVD for every episode, and you have to make lists about which episode is on which DVD and all. But I gladly do that, watching TOS in airdate order has never made much sense to me and I've gotten very much used to the production order now.

I do agree that "The Menagerie" would be a better ending for TOS than "Turnabout Intruder", but I guess EVERY episode makes a better ending for the show than that one, lol. (I'm with Sehlat, I despise that episode despite its VERY blatant Kirk/Spock hints.) I also agree about "Savage Curtain". That one has also always struck me as a good one to end the series with.

I've always preferred watching the show in production order as well even if it means that going through the DVDs is very annoying, you have to grab a new DVD for every episode, and you have to make lists about which episode is on which DVD and all. But I gladly do that, watching TOS in airdate order has never made much sense to me and I've gotten very much used to the production order now.

I do agree that "The Menagerie" would be a better ending for TOS than "Turnabout Intruder", but I guess EVERY episode makes a better ending for the show than that one, lol. (I'm with Sehlat, I despise that episode despite its VERY blatant Kirk/Spock hints.) I also agree about "Savage Curtain". That one has also always struck me as a good one to end the series with.

"Spock's Brain" would make a better series finale than "Turnabout Intruder"... :laugh:

I love "Menagerie" but I don't see it as a series finale mainly because its whole vibe is so strongly first season; and part of what makes it work is that Kirk and Spock, while friends, don't quite have the level of trust they do by the series' end.   Kirk is not 100% sure of what Spock is capable of at that point in the show, thus it makes the events of "Menagerie" somewhat more plausible.  Hell, at that point in the series, Kirk didn't even know how Vulcans chose their mates yet (or that Spock was engaged).  So that level of ignorance about each other's potential made that episode work better as an earlier one.

Gotta say for the record that "All Our Yesterdays" (the 2nd to last episode) is one of my all-time favorites but objectively speaking I don't think it's an appropriate finale either; mainly because it lacks even ONE scene on the starship itself (!).  A ST series has to end with at least some action taking place on the ship... Not an ironclad rule of course, just my personal feeling.

I really wish that TOS got a proper series final (like TNG's wonderful "All Good Things...").  Maybe if ST Continues is allowed to finish (?) we might just see that final shot of the 1701 pulling into Earth orbital space dock for that refit....

For me I tend to go Production order or at least close to it when I think of the show.  But I also consider TAS to be a fourth season, and the movies to be a final season. So Undiscovered Country is how I see their finale...not half bad!

When I did my Trek Review Blog I think I did TOS in Production order, because I wanted to start with "The Cage" and then "Where No Man Has Gone Before" and go from there...and it just sort of went into being Production order. But the show never really had "finales" so much as final episodes of a season.  So Undiscovered Country at least fulfills the role I'd like to see any TOS finale fill.

I'm very firmly in favor of watching at least the first season in production order. 

The creators of TOS were making things up as they went along, inventing backstory at a breakneck pace, and it's not until the middle of the first season that they solidify such things as who sent this ship out there and what constraints they're under.  Neither the Federation nor Starfleet Command nor the Prime Directive had been created when TOS began, and no one — not even Leonard Nimoy — knew exactly who Spock was or what a Vulcan should look like or act like.  

So if you watch in production order, you can hear them refer to the Enterprise as an "Earth" ship early on, you can see Kirk seemingly break the Prime Directive (because they hadn't thought it up yet), you can see pink blusher on Spock's cheeks (because Marc Daniels didn't invent Spock's green blood until the fifth episode), and you can see Spock smirk and pout.  To me, watching it all take shape as they create the backstory for the ship and her world is an endearing part of watching TOS, and I love watching it all gradually take shape.

There's really a story behind the story you're watching on the screen — the story of how the production staff invented the entire Star Trek universe — and you can best watch that story if you watch the first-season episodes in production order.

A couple of examples: 

1.  There's a Federation mentioned in "The Corbomite Maneuver," but it's the one Balok belongs to!  Watching that as the 10th episode just feels wrong, whereas it makes a lot more sense in context, as the first episode after the pilot.

2.  In the early episodes, the crew carry their phasers and communicators on what appear to be brown suede sash belts around their waists.  In later episodes, their equipment will stick directly onto their trousers.  Evidently they rediscover Velcro partway through 2266. :-)  But mixing the belt-wearing episodes with the no-belt episodes makes it seem strange; why are they wearing that big belt, when the phaser stuck directly to their trousers last week?

And of course, there's so much more. ;)

Production order is a good idea.

Not sure if "The Savage Curtain" would make a good final episode... it never appeared like a good or even decent episode to me (in fact, it's IMO more "Spock's Brain"/"That Which Survives" league, and a 23rd century Captain so filled with 1960s-American patriotism for a person who lived 400 years before? Uhm... "The Omega Glory" says hello).

With a minimum of intrusion, one could switch "Turnabout Intruder" and "All Our Yesterdays" around, though. Then the show would at least end with a pretty decent episode. But "The Menagerie" as a series finale isn't a bad idea either.

If I'm not supposed to go with the production order? I guess my only concern would be that "Where No Man Has Gone Before" should be the first episode (after "The Cage"). Apart from that, I guess the only other episode that directly builds on a previous one, are "Mudd's Women" and "I, Mudd" (or am I forgetting something else?). Though while we're at it, maybe we could just skip "Mudd's Women" entirely ...? :giggle:

Edited by Sim

Not sure if "The Savage Curtain" would make a good final episode... it never appeared like a good or even decent episode to me (in fact, it's IMO more "Spock's Brain"/"That Which Survives" league, and a 23rd century Captain so filled with 1960s-American patriotism for a person who lived 400 years before? Uhm... "The Omega Glory" says hello).

Hee!  "'The Omega Glory' says hello" is a great line! :laugh:

With a minimum of intrusion, one could switch "Turnabout Intruder" and "All Our Yesterdays" around, though. Then the show would at least end with a pretty decent episode. But "The Menagerie" as a series finale isn't a bad idea either.

I think using "The Menagerie" as a series finale is a bad idea, because that episode tells us SO much about Spock's character.  Here's this guy who claims to have no emotions but who steals the ship, commits mutiny, and courts the death penalty in order to do right by his former captain.  While he claims that he's been "completely logical about the whole affair," it's clear that Spock could only risk so much if he felt very deeply for Christopher Pike.  Friendship, loyalty, gratitude -- I don't know exactly what it IS that Spock feels for Pike -- but plain old logic would dictate that Spock could accomplish more good for more people as the First Officer/Science Officer of the Enterprise than he could by being executed for disobeying General Order 7. :ohmy:

Of course, this isn't the only time we get a hint that Spock is lying about not feeling emotions, but it's one of the ones that makes Spock look noble, and you know I love that. :thumbup:  Plus, this episode establishes Spock as a risk-taker and as someone who's completely willing to break the rules if he has a good enough reason.  Fan fiction (of which I read way too much) often portrays Spock as a rule-bound stickler who's overly cautious, and whenever I read such a thing, I use "The Menagerie" as Exhibit A to refute that portrayal.:lightsaber:

I wouldn't want the things that "The Menagerie" tells us about Spock to wait until the very last episode, so I think it belongs where it is -- in the first season.

As for which episode WOULD make a good series finale, I think it should be a third-season episode.  If I think about those, I nominate "Day of the Dove."  It's a reasonably strong episode and one that shows the Enterprise crew allying with the Klingons in order to overcome a mutual threat.  That seems like it sets up the future of Trek, when Klingons and the Federation will make peace.

Edited by Corylea