Sign in to follow this  
scenario

What is the best and worst regular role in Star Trek

scenario   

I'm looking at Star Trek from the actors standpoint. If you were an actor, what role would you love to play? I'm looking at the main characters who are in most of the episodes. In a lot of ways, its easier to have a really memorable role as a bit character. 

The worst role is tough because there are a bunch to choose from. Mayweather comes to mind. It looked like a character that had potential at first but I bet if you added up all of the characters lines for the entire run of the show, there are probably dozens of characters who have as many lines in a half dozen episodes. 

Another worst role is Chakotay. He looked to be a good character at first but the writers turned him as bland as possible as quickly as possible.

The best, I'd pick Sisko. Of the main characters, he changed the most but still had a core that didn't change. 

If I were an actor?  There'd be no more attractive role for me to play than Spock; is inner conflict, his wisdom, his 'alien-ness' in contrast with his humanity.   The big challenge of playing suppressed emotion without being flat; Nimoy just utterly nailed it.  Few others playing Vulcans have.   It's daunting. 

Honestly, is there a better role?

Corylea   

If I were an actor?  There'd be no more attractive role for me to play than Spock; is inner conflict, his wisdom, his 'alien-ness' in contrast with his humanity.   The big challenge of playing suppressed emotion without being flat; Nimoy just utterly nailed it.  Few others playing Vulcans have.   It's daunting. 

Agreed.  But then, you knew that. ;)

Robin Curtis said in an interview that when she was playing Saavik, Leonard Nimoy told her, "If you're playing a Vulcan, you need to have a thousand years of wisdom behind your eyes."  And I thought, "Okay, admittedly I'm no actress, but how do you even DO that?!"  How do you have something shine out of your eyes that isn't actually inside you?

I always figured that Spock's integrity, decency, humor, and so on were partly given to him by the writers and partly already present in Leonard Nimoy.  But even Mr. Nimoy -- wonderful as he undoubtedly was -- didn't have a THOUSAND years of wisdom. 

Perhaps one only has to be able to imagine a thousand years of wisdom, though even that seems like a rather daunting task.  Ms. Curtis didn't appear to be up to it, though Mr. Nimoy was.

I think I'd actually love to play Data. I know, massive undertaking and the make up would tear me apart, but I would feel VERY comfortable playing a character who does not display emotions openly because he doesn't really HAVE any. It would be very soothing for me to be this android, it would be a world of yes or no, 1 or 0, rationality at all times. I'd be very much into this - not to mention the fact that I'd find it very relatable to be awkward with emotions and also wondering just WHY something is SO funny sometimes.

The worst role for me would be a character like Troi - someone who relies so much on emotions and deals with them and is also an extrovert and... oh dear I'd probably run away screaming.

Agree.

Spock is an actor's role. It requires bits of soaring emotional highs and deep, crushing lows and you have to play those without hamming it up. It requires subtlety and nuance, and Nimoy displayed a master class weekly on how to act the hell out of a script with just a raised eyebrow at the right time.

Data is probably just as meaty in terms of difficulty. Spiner made and kept the wind-up Pinocchio interesting when it could have easily withered on the vine.

And Worf? Add up the plots over two series that revolved around him and it's its own spinoff.

Plum work for any actor.

Worst? Not Mayweather. I admit it has to be hard as an actor to be relegated to, "246, mark 12, aye, aye." and that's your role. But, on the other end, you kind of start to see how the writers are gravitating towards Archer/T'Pol/Trip and you can sort of make peace with slipping to the background. All the shows had a "Hailing frequencies open" character.

And, too, how often could they REALLY hit on him being a boomer when every day the ship itself traveled farther and farther from what a boomer was? Even Neelix got his own episode that basically revolved around, "What do you do when you're officially out of your element." Not much of an arc, but it was an arc.

The worst has to be the likes of Chakotay. I know why Beltran really sort of still hasn't gotten over it. At conventions he's happy to meet the fans and he has fun with his ex-workmates at the panels, but he does little to hide his bitterness over his treatment, and I can't blame him.

Here you have this REALLY unexplored potential in this character. A Native American had never been so much as touched on in decades. The writers can select his tribe, and teach the mindset of that tribe, and pepper Chakotay's development with that history. You can hire a Native American consultant to really add to that texture. You can teach REAL history that 90% of the viewers wouldn't have otherwise had a CLUE about. He promised to be a GREAT character.

But the writers ended up giving Beltran nothing. No writer or writers made Chakotay his. No one put forth effort to add to him, "Chakotay's tribe is an offshoot of the Mayans. Here's who they were that makes him who he is." He was just medicine wheels, spirit guides and electronic peyote to the point where I as a supremely white guy found it offensive to Native Americans.

But it wasn't enough that they gut him, even dropping the Maquis rebel bit to turn him into a loyal Starfleet toady before they say, "Hey, The Doctor and Seven are way cooler to write for, and we don't have to 'understand Indian,'" They still have a problem; the character is the XO, so is still supposed to have relevance to the plot and the episodes.

So he still has a fair amount of screen time, so they have to act like he's important and give him things to do, Finally, you end up having this guy that now has no depth, or hope for it, walking and talking around the ship as second in command and he Just. Doesn't. Matter. The writers know it and so does he.

That has to be humiliating.

Hell, they couldn't even be bothered to give him the potential depth that goes with making him one-note that would go with being Janeway's boyfriend even as they teased it for years. There's so little respect for the character, it's like, "Here, love Seven in the finale."

Chakotay would have been terrible for any actor. I would have quit and my hat's off to Beltran for being man enough to ride out seven years of tedious, insulting hell. 

PS-- Wow, that turned long rant-y. Sorry. :)

I think I'd actually love to play Data. I know, massive undertaking and the make up would tear me apart, but I would feel VERY comfortable playing a character who does not display emotions openly because he doesn't really HAVE any. It would be very soothing for me to be this android, it would be a world of yes or no, 1 or 0, rationality at all times. I'd be very much into this - not to mention the fact that I'd find it very relatable to be awkward with emotions and also wondering just WHY something is SO funny sometimes.

The worst role for me would be a character like Troi - someone who relies so much on emotions and deals with them and is also an extrovert and... oh dear I'd probably run away screaming.

Funny, I laughed reading that because it occurred to me that if someone had asked me to answer that question for Mr. Picard, that's pretty much how I'd have answered for you. :D 

Edited by prometheus59650

Funny, I laughed reading that because it occurred to me that if someone had asked me to answer that question for Mr. Picard, that's pretty much how I'd have answered for you. :D 

I'm glad I'm so predictable! :laugh: (And btw I agree about Chakotay. He could have been SO interesting. COULD.)

I'm glad I'm so predictable! :laugh: (And btw I agree about Chakotay. He could have been SO interesting. COULD.)

Well, I'd like to think I know you just a bit. And, the truth is, as an introvert, I sort of share the position. Even though the Duchess is an awesome part of my life, I enjoy my own company and she actually enjoys hers.

That and I've simply never been particularly expressive of my feelings (beyond snarky disdain ;) ) I'd get asked all the time as a kid, "Aren't you excited?" "Aren't you this or that?" Yes, yes I am. I'm looking forward to the amusement park. I just am not...displaying  this overwhelming joy. Maybe I'm just not feeling it the way you are? I don't know, but I'm just being me. It's not like I'm not looking forward to going and won't have a good time when I'm there, but..

Maybe it's just because introvert, maybe because just snarky disdain, maybe because of my disability I was judged enough by everyone as it was, so I saw no need to give them more fodder.

At any rate, I certainly would have huge problems playing an empath because the last thing I'd, me being me, would ever want is a rush of other people's feels.

I'd hole up in a bunker somewhere.

Well, I'd like to think I know you just a bit. And, the truth is, as an introvert, I sort of share the position. Even though the Duchess is an awesome part of my life, I enjoy my own company and she actually enjoys hers.

That and I've simply never been particularly expressive of my feelings (beyond snarky disdain ;) ) I'd get asked all the time as a kid, "Aren't you excited?" "Aren't you this or that?" Yes, yes I am. I'm looking forward to the amusement park. I just am not...displaying  this overwhelming joy. Maybe I'm just not feeling it the way you are? I don't know, but I'm just being me. It's not like I'm not looking forward to going and won't have a good time when I'm there, but..

Maybe it's just because introvert, maybe because just snarky disdain, maybe because of my disability I was judged enough by everyone as it was, so I saw no need to give them more fodder.

At any rate, I certainly would have huge problems playing an empath because the last thing I'd, me being me, would ever want is a rush of other people's feels.

If Jean-Luc was real I have a very strong feeling that we'd both enjoy being alone, too. He with his books and I'd sit there and maybe write a story or something. When introverts meet. :laugh:

I can relate to not displaying things too openly. I only do so when I have a VERY VERY VERY good/exceptional reason or when I feel I'm among people I can at least somewhat trust not to use my enthusiasm against me.

I'd end up sitting in a corner staring into nothingness and maybe bang my head against the wall repeatedly if I had to deal with other peoples' emotions the way Troi has. Emotions make me uncomfortable as they are already, but to have this "added bonus" of actually also FEELING other peoples' emotions while I can barely deal with my own is horrifying, to say the least. I honestly don't think I could even TRY to play Troi. Even having to PRETEND that whole emotions thing... YUCK. NO.

If Jean-Luc was real I have a very strong feeling that we'd both enjoy being alone, too. He with his books and I'd sit there and maybe write a story or something. When introverts meet. :laugh:

I can relate to not displaying things too openly. I only do so when I have a VERY VERY VERY good/exceptional reason or when I feel I'm among people I can at least somewhat trust not to use my enthusiasm against me.

I'd end up sitting in a corner staring into nothingness and maybe bang my head against the wall repeatedly if I had to deal with other peoples' emotions the way Troi has. Emotions make me uncomfortable as they are already, but to have this "added bonus" of actually also FEELING other peoples' emotions while I can barely deal with my own is horrifying, to say the least. I honestly don't think I could even TRY to play Troi. Even having to PRETEND that whole emotions thing... YUCK. NO.

Which is why, even though I don't put it anywhere near my top ten as an overall episode, I can very much relate to "Tin Man."

Have to agree with Chakotay. Going back and watching episodes over the years he does more than you think he does, but as said there's so little character growth and such he just seems invisible for the most part. And nothing against Beltran himself, but why couldn't they have casted an actual native american actor in the first place? It's about as silly as casting people like Nimoy or Doohan as indians back in some of those old tv westerns.

Which is why, even though I don't put it anywhere near my top ten as an overall episode, I can very much relate to "Tin Man."

Me, too! (Although I do name the episode as my season 3 favorite, simply because it's so incredibly relatable.) In fact, when I first read this topic I was tempted to reply "I'd play Tam Elbrun, I wouldn't have to act much, he and I are very much alike already".

Agree.

Spock is an actor's role. It requires bits of soaring emotional highs and deep, crushing lows and you have to play those without hamming it up. It requires subtlety and nuance, and Nimoy displayed a master class weekly on how to act the hell out of a script with just a raised eyebrow at the right time.

Data is probably just as meaty in terms of difficulty. Spiner made and kept the wind-up Pinocchio interesting when it could have easily withered on the vine.

And Worf? Add up the plots over two series that revolved around him and it's its own spinoff.

Plum work for any actor.

Worst? Not Mayweather. I admit it has to be hard as an actor to be relegated to, "246, mark 12, aye, aye." and that's your role. But, on the other end, you kind of start to see how the writers are gravitating towards Archer/T'Pol/Trip and you can sort of make peace with slipping to the background. All the shows had a "Hailing frequencies open" character.

And, too, how often could they REALLY hit on him being a boomer when every day the ship itself traveled farther and farther from what a boomer was? Even Neelix got his own episode that basically revolved around, "What do you do when you're officially out of your element." Not much of an arc, but it was an arc.

The worst has to be the likes of Chakotay. I know why Beltran really sort of still hasn't gotten over it. At conventions he's happy to meet the fans and he has fun with his ex-workmates at the panels, but he does little to hide his bitterness over his treatment, and I can't blame him.

Here you have this REALLY unexplored potential in this character. A Native American had never been so much as touched on in decades. The writers can select his tribe, and teach the mindset of that tribe, and pepper Chakotay's development with that history. You can hire a Native American consultant to really add to that texture. You can teach REAL history that 90% of the viewers wouldn't have otherwise had a CLUE about. He promised to be a GREAT character.

But the writers ended up giving Beltran nothing. No writer or writers made Chakotay his. No one put forth effort to add to him, "Chakotay's tribe is an offshoot of the Mayans. Here's who they were that makes him who he is." He was just medicine wheels, spirit guides and electronic peyote to the point where I as a supremely white guy found it offensive to Native Americans.

But it wasn't enough that they gut him, even dropping the Maquis rebel bit to turn him into a loyal Starfleet toady before they say, "Hey, The Doctor and Seven are way cooler to write for, and we don't have to 'understand Indian,'" They still have a problem; the character is the XO, so is still supposed to have relevance to the plot and the episodes.

So he still has a fair amount of screen time, so they have to act like he's important and give him things to do, Finally, you end up having this guy that now has no depth, or hope for it, walking and talking around the ship as second in command and he Just. Doesn't. Matter. The writers know it and so does he.

Hell, they couldn't even be bothered to give him the potential depth that goes with making him one-note that would go with being Janeway's boyfriend even as they teased it for years. There's so little respect for the character, it's like, "Here, love Seven in the finale."

Chakotay would have been terrible for any actor. I would have quit and my hat's off to Beltran for being man enough to ride out seven years of tedious, insulting hell. 

Hands down, the best analysis of Chakotay as a character and the problems Beltran faced that I've ever read! :cylonclap:

I think Harry Kim suffered a similar fate on that show, but at least he occasionally got to play alternative versions of the character - occasional pieces he could get his teeth into.

I honestly don't know the answer to this very interesting question. I actually did Theater Studies at college and trained as an actor, then I decided not to do it and went into a different sector of the arts and communication instead. I guess this has given me a long standing interest in the art of acting and performance as a whole, but I'm still pretty sure that I don't ever want to be an actor. All the instincts that I ever had in those areas, I channel into other things. 

I guess Spock is my most beloved Star Trek character (no surprise there), closely followed by Picard. There's a tier of characters just below them that I love too, but I can't imagine interpreting any of them in terms of performance.

Maybe Q? That'd be a laugh. Or someone like Kor. Something OTT, although both John de Lancie and John Colicos were actually supremely nuanced in the way they played those characters. Their apparent gusto for villainy was always offset by something charming.

I always thought that playing Geordie with that hairslide over your eyes would be really annoying. LeVar Burton must be one patient dude. It would suck not being able to use your eyes to help you act for seven years. I know that was a big part of the character, but you think they'd have been able to give him bionic eyes sooner.

But the absolute worst character on Star Trek to play, ever, would be Spot.

In fact, I think they fired the first cat who played him, because then he came back with a much bushier tail. Anyway, not a meaty role and certainly the worst recurring one.

Burton managed really well with body language and inflection though.

The bigger problem with Spot is him becoming a her. Tough changeup for any actor.

Burton managed really well with body language and inflection though.

The bigger problem with Spot is him becoming a her. Tough changeup for any actor.

They'd have to hire an actress who's going through the same thing. Or at least consult people who either went through or are going through this and listen VERY VERY carefully to their advice, otherwise things will become one big mess because a subject like is something that REALLY needs the "please talk to someone who's familiar with this" angle, otherwise it will derail into cliché & cringe. But it can be done although I do agree that it would be very challenging because it would bring in a lot of personal stories, questions and feelings. (I know we're talking about a cat, yes. :P )

I remember Burton saying in various interviews that it was indeed very difficult for him to play LaForge since he couldn't rely on his eyes. An even bigger problem was that he could barely see anything through the VISOR though.

I keep thinking "would I play Jean-Luc" but I honestly can't even begin to imagine doing that. It's ironic, I know Jean-Luc inside and out, but I would never want to play him. He and I are alike in many regards, but I could never bring myself to imagine being him. It's not right somehow. I could imagine playing Jean-Luc's lover, THAT one for sure (only in a well-written romance though, I'm talking about Kamin/Eline level, nothing below that, I certainly wouldn't play a male Vash-Means-Cow-In-French or Blandij, I'd throw such a script into their faces). I'd go through literal hell doing this, I'd be so confused by both Jean-Luc and Sir Patrick because OMG NOT BOTH OF YOU HERE and I'd probably end up crying like a baby when the day is over but I'd be determined to go through with it, heh. But playing Jean-Luc himself? No way. I love him too much for that. As weird as it sounds. All that being said, I could see myself playing Eline. Absolutely. Wouldn't have to act at all. (Except for having to drop all the swearing I usually do. Haha.)

Agree.

Plum work for any actor.

^
Agreed on the insightful analysis of Chakotay, and of our own Mr. Picard.  
:laugh:

On the plus side, I'd rather get that close to Jeri :inlove: than I would to Kate. But that's just me  :ST:

Spot. The worst regular character role on Star Trek. But even this is redeemable. Even here, there are further dramatic layers to be unpeeled, new possibilities, new directions. This is why Star Trek endures. 

My work here is done. 

Spot. The worst regular character role on Star Trek. But even this is redeemable. Even here, there are further dramatic layers to be unpeeled, new possibilities, new directions. This is why Star Trek endures. 

My work here is done. 

Spot or Harry Kim... they were treated about the same. 

My work here is done. 

But Spot was more beloved by the crew. :P 

My work here is done. 

But Spot was more beloved by the crew. :P 

Spot was probably promoted more often too... :giggle:

Poor Harry. :)

Indeed. At least Spot didn't have to deal with a rather... eccentric captain. ;) 

Spot probably would've made a better captain. He'd have coughed out furballs at Species 8472.  

Indeed. At least Spot didn't have to deal with a rather... eccentric captain. ;) 

Spot probably would've made a better captain. He'd have coughed out furballs at Species 8472.  

And I can totally see Spot scratching the Borg Queen's face. :laugh:

And I can totally see Spot scratching the Borg Queen's face. :laugh:

Spot saves the ship... in your face, Wesley Crusher! :P

Sign in to follow this