Sign in to follow this  
Robin Bland

Denise and Michael Okuda on Releasing New Star Trek Footage 50 Years After the Show Aired

The general rule for viewing is 1 foot away per 10 inches of screen size.

Some older HD 1080p material, which has some flaws (like the new "Battlestar Galactica" 

All the "flaws" in BSG were inserted post-production and are meant to be there. BSG was shot in HD throughout and was grained up a bit to give it the documentary feel they wanted.  

Okay, I have no idea how much an inch or a foot is, but I'm sure you're right! :laugh:

Interesting, this info on NuBSG ... I had no idea the grain was deliberate. I always assumed it was because HD was still in its infancy back then (guess that's why seasons 1-3 of ENT look a bit grainy, too?). Maybe I don't remember it correctly, but I think I read somewhere the F/X on NuBSG was made in 720p and then upscaled. Or I confuse it with another show.

Well, that's what Google is for, you, you...Europeans and your communist metric system :P 

The 720p upscale may well be true with ENT. It did take the producers a while to figure out what they were gonna do with HD and CGI between VOY and ENT.

I'd still have to do some math, and it's just too late for that kind of thing here in Communististane... :laugh:

Whatever they did on ENT, they fixed it with season 4. That seasons looks considerably better in HD than the first three seasons.

I believe S4 was the first and only season of the show shot entirely on HD video; no film elements.

By the way, I just bought the Vault set this morning.   The extras and the little snippets of lost footage are AMAZING.   Some of it I've never even HEARD of, let alone seen before.  The bonus extras are a lot of talking heads, but some of it is really fascinating stuff.    I've only seen the first disc's bonus features (there are 3 in the set), but there's deleted scenes that would've really improved some of the episodes; a deleted bit in "Space Seed" was one of Dr. McCoy's finest bits IMO.   There were also some great bloopers I'd never seen either.   I bought my set at a brick and mortar store for $40.

All in all, I feel the purchase is justified; it's also in a very cute little collectible case (and I'm not even into cases). 

$40's not a bad price at all.

I've only get through the first disc's bonus features, and I can't wait to dig into the 2nd disc's stuff.   Some of the deleted moments are instant head canon to me (except for that bit in "Corbomite Maneuver" where Kirk refers to Sulu as an 'inscrutable Oriental'.... OUCH). 

I've only get through the first disc's bonus features, and I can't wait to dig into the 2nd disc's stuff.   Some of the deleted moments are instant head canon to me (except for that bit in "Corbomite Maneuver" where Kirk refers to Sulu as an 'inscrutable Oriental'.... OUCH). 

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelll...it was the 60s.

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelll...it was the 60s.

And Sulu's bit afterward is priceless.  Would've made his character more likable right out of the box.

Corylea   

I haven't seen it yet -- mine isn't supposed to be delivered until tomorrow.  So tell us, Sehlat --  what five new things did you like best?

I haven't seen it yet -- mine isn't supposed to be delivered until tomorrow.  So tell us, Sehlat --  what five new things did you like best?

OK, I just finished watching all of the bonus content... wow.

It's not much in terms of running time; total bonus features on all three discs are around 3 hours.   But the material is amazing.  Much of it is talking-heads recollections, but the accounts are pretty fascinating; most of it is from behind-the-scenes people (writers/producers etc).   And the fan stuff (from Trekspert Mark Altman, for example) is good too.  

Most of the little snippets, deleted scenes and unused dialogue I'd never heard of before (Spock mind-melding scene with Sargon's globe in "Return to Tomorrow," or Sulu's little "Oriental"-movie bit from "The Corbomite Maneuver,"  McCoy standing up to Khan near the end of "Space Seed" etc).  There are lots more of these little bits I'd never seen.  

And for those who are worried that the interview subjects talk over the unseen footage?  The unseen bits are mixed into the documentaries, but the scenes are given attention when they're running.   And on disc 3, there is a bonus feature consisting of 21 minutes of nothing but deleted material (with no interviews to break it up); including unused ship flyby FX shots.    

As for the episodes themselves?  They're pretty much ported over from the blu-rays; with the same option of choosing between original FX or remastered (gotta say, I've become spoiled on the remastered shots... they were done with much care, and even cover oversights and minor goofs).   There are a good chunk of episodes to get a nice cross sampling of Trek in there.

And Corylea?  
If you've only seen them in DVD (even remastered) you're in for a treat; the blu-ray episodes are spectacular.  

I think it's worth the $40 I paid for it, even though I own all 3 seasons of the remastered sets; this is the bonus content we fans wish we had when the 2007 remastered sets first came out. 

kenman   

It's not much in terms of running time; total bonus features on all three discs are around 3 hours.   But the material is amazing.  Much of it is talking-heads recollections, but the accounts are pretty fascinating; most of it is from behind-the-scenes people (writers/producers etc).   And the fan stuff (from Trekspert Mark Altman, for example) is good too.  

Most of the little snippets, deleted scenes and unused dialogue I'd never heard of before (Spock mind-melding scene with Sargon's globe in "Return to Tomorrow," or Sulu's little "Oriental"-movie bit from "The Corbomite Maneuver,"  McCoy standing up to Khan near the end of "Space Seed" etc).  There are lots more of these little bits I'd never seen.  

And for those who are worried that the interview subjects talk over the unseen footage?  The unseen bits are mixed into the documentaries, but the scenes are given attention when they're running.   And on disc 3, there is a bonus feature consisting of 21 minutes of nothing but deleted material (with no interviews to break it up); including unused ship flyby FX shots.    

As for the episodes themselves?  They're pretty much ported over from the blu-rays; with the same option of choosing between original FX or remastered (gotta say, I've become spoiled on the remastered shots... they were done with much care, and even cover oversights and minor goofs).   There are a good chunk of episodes to get a nice cross sampling of Trek in there.

And Corylea?  
If you've only seen them in DVD (even remastered) you're in for a treat; the blu-ray episodes are spectacular.  

I think it's worth the $40 I paid for it, even though I own all 3 seasons of the remastered sets; this is the bonus content we fans wish we had when the 2007 remastered sets first came out. 

I do want better bonus content. Maybe someday I will get my hands on this thing. 

Corylea   

And Corylea?  

Thanks so much for your description and evaluation!  That certainly sounds like something to look forward to; can't wait!

And Corylea?  

I guess there's a point in the future when they'll re-release both to get people to quadruple-dip (or whatever it will be by that time.)

If I can find it for 40 bucks, I'm having it! Thanks for the lowdown on the contents, Sehlat. Sounds fascinating. 

Corylea   

I guess there's a point in the future when they'll re-release both to get people to quadruple-dip (or whatever it will be by that time.)

If I can find it for 40 bucks, I'm having it! Thanks for the lowdown on the contents, Sehlat. Sounds fascinating. 

Amazon just reduced its price from $50 to $40, so there ya go. ;)

And Corylea?  

There are also new commentaries on a few of the episode; just listened to the one on "This Side of Paradise" with DC Fontana.  It was excellent.

Corylea   

There are also new commentaries on a few of the episode; just listened to the one on "This Side of Paradise" with DC Fontana.  It was excellent.

I adore Dorothy Fontana; she's one of the few talking heads I definitely want to hear from!  I can't wait to hear what she has to say about "This Side of Paradise." 

It is more, I hope, than just telling us that the episode was originally conceived of as a love story for Sulu, and that it was Fontana who said, "No, this has to be about Spock."  And Leonard Nimoy was very nervous about acting out of character for the episode, because he felt that he'd finally achieved a consistent character, and now here he was going to be drunk-on-spores Spock, but Fontana prevailed, and of course Mr. Nimoy nailed it.  We already know all those things, so I hope she says more than that?

I adore Dorothy Fontana; she's one of the few talking heads I definitely want to hear from!  I can't wait to hear what she has to say about "This Side of Paradise." 

It is more, I hope, than just telling us that the episode was originally conceived of as a love story for Sulu, and that it was Fontana who said, "No, this has to be about Spock."  And Leonard Nimoy was very nervous about acting out of character for the episode, because he felt that he'd finally achieved a consistent character, and now here he was going to be drunk-on-spores Spock, but Fontana prevailed, and of course Mr. Nimoy nailed it.  We already know all those things, so I hope she says more than that?

She says those things of too of course, but there is a lot more as well.  She talks about her early writing career on westerns, seeing Bill Shatner at a restaurant near her house in Century City in LA sometimes, stuff like that.   And she's a funny lady, too.  I love her vibe; she's wonderfully smart and sardonic.  She's a treat.

Amazon just reduced its price from $50 to $40, so there ya go. ;)

Aha! :thumbup: Aaaaaand... purchased! :)

Sign in to follow this