Sign in to follow this  
Robin Bland

Denise and Michael Okuda on Releasing New Star Trek Footage 50 Years After the Show Aired

http://io9.gizmodo.com/denise-and-michael-okuda-on-releasing-new-star-trek-foo-1790016432

You gotta love the Okudas. They are amazing. I love that they do this, and make this stuff available.

I'm a big fan of their work; both in graphics design and their meticulous research/custodianship of the ST franchise in general. 

I met both of them a few years ago, and they were very kind.  Also briefly saw them in Vegas last year, where they gamely posed for a pic with fans cosplaying as doctors from Mercy Hospital ('The Voyage Home"; the first ST project the Okudas worked on too!).

http://io9.gizmodo.com/denise-and-michael-okuda-on-releasing-new-star-trek-foo-1790016432

You gotta love the Okudas. They are amazing. I love that they do this, and make this stuff available.

I'm a big fan of their work; both in graphics design and their meticulous research/custodianship of the ST franchise in general. 

I met both of them a few years ago, and they were very kind.  Also briefly saw them in Vegas last year, where they gamely posed for a pic with fans cosplaying as doctors from Mercy Hospital ('The Voyage Home"; the first ST project the Okudas worked on too!).

Mike Okuda's responsible for a lot of the look of 90s Trek - not in the sense of production design (TNG carpets!), but all those cool future tech details. I love that he and his missus have gone on to be such ardent keepers of the Trek archive.

It's $50 bucks for this. I must admit, I'm tempted. But I have all the episodes on blu already... it's difficult to justify at this price for what amounts to a couple of new documentaries and some curios. I'll have to wait for it to come down. I kind of wish it'd come out in 4K.

Edited by Robin Bland

Mike Okuda's responsible for a lot of the look of 90s Trek - not in the sense of production design (TNG carpets!), but all those cool future tech details. I love that he and his missus have gone on to be such ardent keepers of the Trek archive.

It's $50 bucks for this. I must admit, I'm tempted. But I have all the episodes on blu already... it's difficult to justify at this price for what amounts to a couple of new documentaries and some curios. I'll have to wait for it to come down. I kind of wish it'd come out in 4K.

Think I feel my wallet opening up...  :laugh:

7f3652a8548e999b2d0b1631e65c306d_square_

Corylea   

I love, love, love it that we’re getting new TOS footage -- I want to see every line of dialogue and every eyebrow raise ever filmed -- but I wish we were getting that footage in another format. I’ve already read a ton of material about Star Trek; what I really want is to simply SEE the new footage, without anybody babbling at me and telling me what I’m supposed to think about it. I’m happy to watch the documentary, too -- I'm delighted to listen to anything D. C. Fontana wants to tell us -- but I wish we’d gotten the new footage and the documentary as separate elements, not all munged together.

I don't have a blu-ray player.  My husband is a very frugal fellow, and his attitude is that we're old enough that our eyes probably can't perceive the difference between blu-ray regular DVD, anyway.  He's probably right about that, but as far as I know, the Roddenberry Vault stuff is only available on blu-ray.  So I guess I'll be going shopping for one real soon now.  As in tomorrow. :P

I love, love, love it that we’re getting new TOS footage -- I want to see every line of dialogue and every eyebrow raise ever filmed -- but I wish we were getting that footage in another format. I’ve already read a ton of material about Star Trek; what I really want is to simply SEE the new footage, without anybody babbling at me and telling me what I’m supposed to think about it. I’m happy to watch the documentary, too -- I'm delighted to listen to anything D. C. Fontana wants to tell us -- but I wish we’d gotten the new footage and the documentary as separate elements, not all munged together.

I don't have a blu-ray player.  My husband is a very frugal fellow, and his attitude is that we're old enough that our eyes probably can't perceive the difference between blu-ray regular DVD, anyway.  He's probably right about that, but as far as I know, the Roddenberry Vault stuff is only available on blu-ray.  So I guess I'll be going shopping for one real soon now.  As in tomorrow. :P

If it's any comfort... I bought my Blu Ray player and a matching TV only for the TNG Blu Rays. lol

And I agree btw. I also don't like how everything has comments these days instead of just letting people see stuff and make up their own minds (comment sections are part of this baaaaaad idea). I guess the only option left is to simply switch off the sound. 

Good news is, they're incredibly cheap now.   You can score a decent model for $80 or less. 

I was late on the blu ray bandwagon as well; we got ours in 2012 (six years after the launch of the format) because I didn't really see the difference either.  But... when you get one?  You'll see it.   And these days, they put more bonus content on the BRs too; so to get those extras, you need the blu rays.

And I agree btw. I also don't like how everything has comments these days instead of just letting people see stuff and make up their own minds (comment sections are part of this baaaaaad idea). I guess the only option left is to simply switch off the sound. 

^
That's the only way I can enjoy "Star Trek Into Darkness"... :giggle:

Corylea   

If it's any comfort... I bought my Blu Ray player and a matching TV only for the TNG Blu Rays. lol

*laugh*  Thanks for telling me that -- it's good to know that I'm not alone in this, that other people buy new equipment just for Star Trek!

Sadly, my husband is not a Trek fan (though he's very patient with my obsession with it), so I have to come here to get validation for "Of COURSE you buy new equipment so you can see the latest cool Trek thing." :)

Well, instead of buying a blu-ray player for the TV, I'm going to buy a blu-ray drive for my computer, so that I can rip the disk and then use a video editor to edit out all the talking heads.  At least, I THINK I'm going to do that; I'll have to see if all the various bits of software are compatible...

*laugh*  Thanks for telling me that -- it's good to know that I'm not alone in this, that other people buy new equipment just for Star Trek!

Sadly, my husband is not a Trek fan (though he's very patient with my obsession with it), so I have to come here to get validation for "Of COURSE you buy new equipment so you can see the latest cool Trek thing." :)

Well, instead of buying a blu-ray player for the TV, I'm going to buy a blu-ray drive for my computer, so that I can rip the disk and then use a video editor to edit out all the talking heads.  At least, I THINK I'm going to do that; I'll have to see if all the various bits of software are compatible...

Corylea, you will not regret buying a blu-ray player for Star Trek. If you're a lover of character detail, you'll find plenty more of it to see on the remastered TOS blu-rays alone.

As for the talking - it's kind of a cultural phenomenon, isn't it? It's a given these days that we have to have some sort of commentary. Except it's often not commentary, it's "insight," "opinion" or "analysis." A documentary is one thing, but yeah, I do miss the days when you could watch and sift through your own reactions afterwards and not be told what to think.

I have to admit my motivation was less Star Trek as a whole (I'd never buy any of the other series on Blu Ray or a Blu Ray player just for them), it was seeing Jean-Luc in all his HD glory. *blush* :inlove:  (I think you can relate here tho... Spock in all his HD glory, yes? Heh.)

I was opposed to the TNG Blu Ray idea at first because I feared they'd be editing too much, but I've come to appreciate the whole thing because a) Mike Okuda is a sweet guy (he was so patient with me on Twitter, he always smiled and commented when I went into one of my IT IS JEAN-LUC IN HD LOOK OMG THANK YOU MIKE OKUDA moods, lol) and b) they were incredibly respectful to the source material, no unnecessary CGI "inserts", etc. 

However, I must caution against buying a Blu Ray drive. I did that at first, too. It asked for update after update (it refused to play new Blu Rays, which was massively annoying since I got a new TNG season every few months) and from the second update on I even had to pay. It added up quickly, so quickly that I re-sold it and bought a player and a TV. The drive wasn't worth it, not by a long shot, especially since it was a hassle to get it to be compatible with both hardware and software in the first place. My Blu Ray player has never even once asked me for any update - it was a much better investment.

Corylea   

Corylea, you will not regret buying a blu-ray player for Star Trek. If you're a lover of character detail, you'll find plenty more of it to see on the remastered TOS blu-rays alone.

Do you mean the remastered video vs. the original versions or the remastered blu-ray vs. the remastered DVD's?  (I have the remastered DVD's, so I've seen the remastered versions but not in blu-ray levels of definition.)

I do love character detail, though perhaps only of some of the characters, since I think William Shatner's performance was, uh, completely visible, even on the DVD's. :P  (Of course, as I've said before, this made perfect sense, given the limitations of broadcast television in 1966; I'm not dissing Shatner's performance.)  But I'm always willing to see more of the gentleman we're both using as our avatar. :)

As for the talking - it's kind of a cultural phenomenon, isn't it? It's a given these days that we have to have some sort of commentary. Except it's often not commentary, it's "insight," "opinion" or "analysis." A documentary is one thing, but yeah, I do miss the days when you could watch and sift through your own reactions afterwards and not be told what to think.

I enjoy comparing my reactions to other people's and seeing where we agree and disagree -- that's why I like to come here after I've seen an episode of Star Trek Continues, for example.  But I like to have the space to actually form those opinions first, before other people weigh in.

Oh, well.  It is what it is.  I'm looking forward to seeing it, whatever format it's in.

My surgery is expected to go just fine, but I told my husband tonight, "This will sound silly, but I want to see the new TOS footage before Friday, so that if I die on the table, I won't die without having seen it."  I was afraid he'd tell me I had a strange sense of priorities, but he said, "Well, of COURSE you do!"  So he is very understanding about my Star Trek mania. :inlove:

I have to admit my motivation was less Star Trek as a whole (I'd never buy any of the other series on Blu Ray or a Blu Ray player just for them), it was seeing Jean-Luc in all his HD glory. *blush* :inlove:  I think you can relate here tho... Spock in all his HD glory, yes? Heh.)

Awww, that's sweet! :)

People usually expect only teenagers to get all goopy over fictional characters, and I've felt kinda embarrassed to be a middle-aged professional woman who's got a crush on someone who exists only in our hearts.  So it's nice to have such illustrious company as your good self. ;)

However, I must caution against buying a Blu Ray drive. I did that at first, too. It asked for update after update (it refused to play new Blu Rays, which was massively annoying since I got a new TNG season every few months) and from the second update on I even had to pay. It added up quickly, so quickly that I re-sold it and bought a player and a TV. The drive wasn't worth it, not by a long shot, especially since it was a hassle to get it to be compatible with both hardware and software in the first place. My Blu Ray player has never even once asked me for any update - it was a much better investment.

Oh, interesting.  Thank you for that warning!  Unfortunately, I've already placed the order ... but at least I'm forewarned.

I have to admit my motivation was less Star Trek as a whole (I'd never buy any of the other series on Blu Ray or a Blu Ray player just for them), it was seeing Jean-Luc in all his HD glory. *blush* :inlove:  I think you can relate here tho... Spock in all his HD glory, yes? Heh.)

Awww, that's sweet! :)

People usually expect only teenagers to get all goopy over fictional characters, and I've felt kinda embarrassed to be a middle-aged professional woman who's got a crush on someone who exists only in our hearts.  So it's nice to have such illustrious company as your good self. ;)

Oh, interesting.  Thank you for that warning!  Unfortunately, I've already placed the order ... but at least I'm forewarned.

I hope you won't run into the same issues I did! It's always possible that it's different now, I don't know. :) What I can say for sure is that Blu Rays are generally VERY much worth getting, at least when your favorite character/actor is involved. HD can be SUCH a great experience. Heh.

I've given up being embarrassed at my love for Jean-Luc, but I know what you mean. lol At least we both made wise choices - Spock and Jean-Luc are both usually very beloved in the fandom and beyond it, so we at least don't have to justify THAT part. :laugh: 

Even if one already owns TOS remastered in DVD, a purchase of the Vault collection is justifiable, since you can compare and contrast the clarity of some of the remastered DVDs with the remastered blu rays (assuming one has a blu ray player, of course... ).

Well worth the purchase IMO.

Maybe Corylea is gonna buy TOS on Blu Ray sooner or later anyway once she has the equipment to play Blu Rays. I mean... it can't hurt to compare Spock in HD on Blu Ray to Spock in remastered SD. :angel_not:It's totally what I would do with Jean-Luc

Even if one already owns TOS remastered in DVD, a purchase of the Vault collection is justifiable, since you can compare and contrast the clarity of some of the remastered DVDs with the remastered blu rays (assuming one has a blu ray player, of course... ).

Well worth the purchase IMO.

This.

Now I'm trying to find a similar excuse for myself...

Do you mean the remastered video vs. the original versions or the remastered blu-ray vs. the remastered DVD's?  (I have the remastered DVD's, so I've seen the remastered versions but not in blu-ray levels of definition.)

Ah, right - forgot those were also available on DVD. I still have old unremastered DVDs, but forked out for the blu-ray remasters when they came out. With no regrets!

I do love character detail, though perhaps only of some of the characters, since I think William Shatner's performance was, uh, completely visible, even on the DVD's. :P  (Of course, as I've said before, this made perfect sense, given the limitations of broadcast television in 1966; I'm not dissing Shatner's performance.)  But I'm always willing to see more of the gentleman we're both using as our avatar. :)

I enjoy comparing my reactions to other people's and seeing where we agree and disagree -- that's why I like to come here after I've seen an episode of Star Trek Continues, for example.  But I like to have the space to actually form those opinions first, before other people weigh in.

I think that's the age we live in - so much busy, busy talking and opining, very little thoughtful afterglow, consideration and actual listening. Listening, as in also comprehending and being able to, yes, form and posit one's own creative and emotional reactions. 

Oh, well.  It is what it is.  I'm looking forward to seeing it, whatever format it's in.

My surgery is expected to go just fine, but I told my husband tonight, "This will sound silly, but I want to see the new TOS footage before Friday, so that if I die on the table, I won't die without having seen it."  I was afraid he'd tell me I had a strange sense of priorities, but he said, "Well, of COURSE you do!"  So he is very understanding about my Star Trek mania. :inlove:

Very best of luck with your surgery! Hope it all goes perfectly.

Here's the deal on BluRay watching. The difference between the 720p tv and the 1080p TV is probably marginal, but any TV at 480p is going to make the scenes look bad. If you have it hooked up to an old style TV it won't look good. Yopu can get a Christmas sale TV probably for about 400 to 600 bucks, depending on size, 1080p pretty cheap noawadays, and the player will default at 1080p.

It will not be able to make older shows look better. Do not get the kind that fixe, smart fix style, as that makes shows look pasty and weird. Shut off that smart fix feature.

You can probably get a 32 inch smaller flatscreen and BluRay player pretty cheap, as some good models are out there. Get a good sound system bar too.

I don't recommend computer bluray players unless you have a monitor that is 1080p. Also burning off a bluray is hard, as usually there is a lot of coding (and I cannot do this). Don't do that. It also will eat up hard drive memory to store big movie files. Usually bluray files are 20 gigabytes or more, 3r times that of old 4.7 gig movies.

Yeah so if your TV or monitors aren't 1080p, it will look awful, or if it's 720p it will be okay, but not great.

Most cable systems run HD 1080p. So if you don't have an HD tv there is no point in having a BluRay player. Maybe your TV is old school.

Older shows will not look better on BluRay. They can look worse. You have to adjust your frame size. Old Star Trek is 4:3 ratio, not 6:9.

The Roddenberry Vault is very interesting and I will likely get it. That said, I have no purchased the new TNG blues because I could not yet afford them.  got the classic BluRay reissues years after they came out.

I have all the DVDs and they look good.

Recommended BluRay players, Panasonic, Samsung, Toshiba, will run about 60 bucks. Get one if the TV is HD. HDMI cable. Yeah.

Example of BluRay update. Classic Transformers 1986 on DVD (2006) has some grain in it, is 4:3, has coloring errors here and there. It looks better than the 4:3 320 video analog. It;s blown up to 480. It was off a video, leading to lacing issues, and others.

Transformers 1986 remastered BluRay, (2016) 1080p, 4:3 or 6:9 looks amazing, is off a movie video print, has colors slightly fixed, but not so much they went and took out the grain, because that would look bad.

You have probably seen movies where they messed up the encoding and didn't get it from a movie print, but off a video. Yeah, that would look dreadful.

What's weird about the Star Trek movie BluRay rereleases is they're taken from the video masters, not from the special editions, (more expensive(), and therefore are cheaper (and aren't as good). The DVD versions in that case are the same. You can just look over your 2003 releases with the special features not on the BluRays. It was easier just to print more copies of the mass produced movie video versions. (This is just the films. TNG was done better). This way down the line they can double dip and release 'special editions' again.

I do want to see the special edition of TMP on BluRay, but as Okuda said in FB, it wouldn't look so good because of the new stuff being a different grain, and not quite matching the older 35 mm stuff. You don't notice it on DVD in 720, but you do on BluRay in 1080p.

The DVDs are all 720p from the 2000s sets. In that case, hang onto your older special editions. To that end there will be no visibil change from 720p because that's what they were. BluRay cannot up convert to 1080p well. Play the 720 in native format.

good luck

Edited by Chimera82405

Here's the deal on BluRay watching. The difference between the 720p tv and the 1080p probably marginal, 

Depends entirely on your viewing distance.

Yopu can get a Christmas sale TV probably for about 400 to 600 bucks, depending on size, 1080p pretty cheap noawadays, and the player will default at 1080p.

You can buy a 32' 720 for less than $200. For the 4-600 you can buy a 1080 in the 50 inch range.

Older shows will not look better on BluRay. 

Star Trek's 50 years old and it looks great, so does TNG. It depends entirely on the restoration done. 

Sim   

Here's the deal on BluRay watching. The difference between the 720p tv and the 1080p probably marginal, 

Depends entirely on your viewing distance.

Yeah, IIRC I read somewhere that the idea viewing distance for 1080p HD is twice the screen diagonal.

The further you increase the viewing distance, the lesser will be the benefit of 1080p over 720p.

In my experience, I do notice a considerable improvement in quality when watching from ca. 2.5 times the diagonal. 1080p does indeed look better than 720p... assuming the source material is flawless (as far as I can tell, it is in case of TOS and TNG on Blu Ray).

At any rate, both resulotions look much better than old 480i NTSC or 576i PAL (the old non-HD format as on the DVDs).

Some older HD 1080p material, which has some flaws (like the new "Battlestar Galactica" on Blu Ray, or the earlier seasons of "Enterprise"), like visible grain, lowers the improvement a little... but as I said, TOS and TNG really look amazing in 1080p. :laugh:

Edited by Sim

The general rule for viewing is 1 foot away per 10 inches of screen size.

Some older HD 1080p material, which has some flaws (like the new "Battlestar Galactica" 

All the "flaws" in BSG were inserted post-production and are meant to be there. BSG was shot in HD throughout and was grained up a bit to give it the documentary feel they wanted.  

Sim   

Some older HD 1080p material, which has some flaws (like the new "Battlestar Galactica" 

All the "flaws" in BSG were inserted post-production and are meant to be there. BSG was shot in HD throughout and was grained up a bit to give it the documentary feel they wanted.  

Okay, I have no idea how much an inch or a foot is, but I'm sure you're right! :laugh:

Interesting, this info on NuBSG ... I had no idea the grain was deliberate. I always assumed it was because HD was still in its infancy back then (guess that's why seasons 1-3 of ENT look a bit grainy, too?). Maybe I don't remember it correctly, but I think I read somewhere the F/X on NuBSG was made in 720p and then upscaled. Or I confuse it with another show.

Okay, I have no idea how much an inch or a foot is, but I'm sure you're right! :laugh:

Interesting, this info on NuBSG ... I had no idea the grain was deliberate. I always assumed it was because HD was still in its infancy back then (guess that's why seasons 1-3 of ENT look a bit grainy, too?). Maybe I don't remember it correctly, but I think I read somewhere the F/X on NuBSG was made in 720p and then upscaled. Or I confuse it with another show.

Well, that's what Google is for, you, you...Europeans and your communist metric system :P 

The 720p upscale may well be true with ENT. It did take the producers a while to figure out what they were gonna do with HD and CGI between VOY and ENT.

Sim   

Well, that's what Google is for, you, you...Europeans and your communist metric system :P 

The 720p upscale may well be true with ENT. It did take the producers a while to figure out what they were gonna do with HD and CGI between VOY and ENT.

I'd still have to do some math, and it's just too late for that kind of thing here in Communististane... :laugh:

Whatever they did on ENT, they fixed it with season 4. That seasons looks considerably better in HD than the first three seasons.

I was late getting into the DVD market myself to begin with, what finally got me to get a player was the Director's Edition of TMP. 

I think it's a marketing ploy how they put more goodies on bluray. What would it hurt putting them on regular releases? 

I don't need to get the remastered TNG because I can watch it on Netflix that way. 

I expect we'll be able to see some of the new stuff from this release on YouTube. Only thing I'm interested in would be Kirk's nephew coming to the bridge at the end of Operation: Annihilate. Aside from that I don't see any point in forking over more $ to Paramount as they've dipped us fans so many times now. Only thing I'd be interested in now is if they totally remade the animated episodes with new animation.

Corylea   

Only thing I'm interested in would be Kirk's nephew coming to the bridge at the end of Operation: Annihilate. Aside from that I don't see any point in forking over more $ to Paramount as they've dipped us fans so many times now. Only thing I'd be interested in now is if they totally remade the animated episodes with new animation.

This is from the TV episodes, not the movies, so it's being put out by CBS, not by Paramount, if that makes any difference to you...

Sign in to follow this