Sign in to follow this  
GustavoLeao

SPIDER-MAN HOMECOMING

Recommended Posts

kenman   

From this guy who has become fairly jaded on Superhero films and really sick of rebooted Spider-Mans...that was a solid trailer that actually made me think "not bad." 

That said, the Planet of the aspes trailer then came and I almost completely stopped caring about this. In these times I may want to see humanity taken down and explored deeper than see them saved by a dude in tights. Still...it was a fine trailer, and someday I will see the movie. Just after I finally see Civil War and Deadpool. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You havent seen CIVIL WAR ??? The best movie of the year ? Oh, you poor soul, just take care of yourself.

LOL

Gus

I saw it, and while it was enjoyable at the time?  It faded from memory about 15 minutes after I left the theatre.
Still think "Winter Soldier" was better.

From this guy who has become fairly jaded on Superhero films and really sick of rebooted Spider-Mans...that was a solid trailer that actually made me think "not bad." 

That said, the Planet of the aspes trailer then came and I almost completely stopped caring about this. In these times I may want to see humanity taken down and explored deeper than see them saved by a dude in tights. Still...it was a fine trailer, and someday I will see the movie. Just after I finally see Civil War and Deadpool. 

And yes, that new POTA movie trailer looks SOOOO good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to love POTA.  The first series that started with Heston were classics.  But after Wahlberg and the first one after that, it just dawned on me--the apes always win.  It's kind of a downer story, so I stopped seeing the movies.

 

I get it--humans and apes fight.  Apes win. 

I remember that the new series was supposed to be set in the original continuity--so if that's the case, we all know it ends with Taylor blowing up the world.

Great story. :D

As for Homecoming, it was an exciting trailer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to love POTA.  The first series that started with Heston were classics.  But after Wahlberg and the first one after that, it just dawned on me--the apes always win.  It's kind of a downer story, so I stopped seeing the movies.

I think that if that's all you see in these movies then you're missing a lot of what these movies, even the Heston ones, were about. They are about and have always been about social criticism. They're putting up a mirror for us to see our reflection. We need that more than ever.

If seen as purely one faction vs another or humans vs apes then any silly cartoon or '60's Batman show will do. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kenman   

Well, I get all that, which is why I liked the Heston movies.  But eventually it really just became--the apes always win.

It isn't about winning or losing. It is about the humanity and it's flaws, even if it is presented via Apes.  Also The Apes don't always win.  Also this thread isn't about POTA.

And now, I have yet to see Civil War. I will, maybe sometime during my offtime I will get to it.  But I doubt it would be on my top movies of the year...because I have seen some great stuff this year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You havent seen CIVIL WAR ??? The best movie of the year ? Oh, you poor soul, just take care of yourself.

LOL

Gus

I saw it, and while it was enjoyable at the time?  It faded from memory about 15 minutes after I left the theatre.
Still think "Winter Soldier" was better.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat ? But...but...but CIVIL WAR was Marvel at its best (like DOCTOR STRANGE0 and the best movie of 2016.

Gus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You havent seen CIVIL WAR ??? The best movie of the year ? Oh, you poor soul, just take care of yourself.

LOL

Gus

I saw it, and while it was enjoyable at the time?  It faded from memory about 15 minutes after I left the theatre.
Still think "Winter Soldier" was better.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat ? But...but...but CIVIL WAR was Marvel at its best (like DOCTOR STRANGE0 and the best movie of 2016.

Gus

I'm sorry. However entertaining Civil War was, a superhero movie just can't be the best movie of the year.

Also, despite some good moments, these superhero movies are now extremely repetitive. The formula has been used to death and it never feels like there is any jeopardy; with all the superheroes being unbreakable (safe exception), the sheer amount of ridiculous and wanton destruction is just completely unbelievable and, frankly, boring. Even the Whedon-esque humour of Marvel movies doesn't really do it for me anymore.

I'll give a chance to Guardians 2, and I'll grant that the new Spidey in Civil War was interesting, but even the new trailer is already making me less interested.

Edited by Tupperfan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's funny, I saw the Spidey trailer last night - or was that two days ago? - and didn't even think to come here to comment. I'm sure I'll see it, and it'll be fun, but yeah, I have to agree with the wider consensus here that it doesn't feel like an immediate "must-see."

That said, I really enjoyed Doctor Strange, so i don't think superhero movies are "out" per se. And I'm looking forward to GotG Vol 2. (Does that count? it feels more like science fantasy.) But the earthbound superhero stuff - whatevs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lovely actress Marisa Tomei (Aunt May) shows the new poster for SPIDER-MAN HOMECOMING at her Instagram. Cant wait for this movie !

19437614_10213560178298003_7213502815736

Gus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 MOVIES ????

Kevin Feige Details 5-Film Plan For SPIDER-MAN In The Marvel Cinematic Universe
 
Oh, wow !
 
Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige talks here about how the Marvel Cinematic Universe is being shaped around Peter Parker and the way Spider-Man: Homecoming 2 is going to be Phase 4's opening salvo...
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BOX OFFICE: SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING Surges On Friday For A $100+ Million Weekend
 
Spider-Man: Homecoming exceeded expectations during Thursday evening screenings and with a huge Friday, the signs are all pointing to the reboot having a spectacular opening weekend in North America
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it wrong that I’m actually a lot more excited for the new “Apes” movie?  :dontgetit:

The missus and I are even debating whether to see this one theatrically or not; we have Comic Con in a couple weeks, and don’t have too much time to take in movies (after Comic Con, I’m heading to Vegas for the ST con).  And frankly, I’m just a little bit tired of Spiderman.   And while I’m sure Marvel’s movie division will give it that ‘next level’ treatment it’s long deserved, my enthusiasm for it just isn’t there anymore for some reason.  

With few exceptions, the Marvel movies are starting to make my eyes glaze over now... Marvel burnout (?).  I dunno. 

Lotsa luck to them.  I’m sure it’ll do spectacular biz even without my $$.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You are wrong on this Sehlat.But I understand were your opinion is come from since I will not be watching JJ TREK 4 or DISCOVERY thanks to my Trek burnout.

I did see SPIDER-MAN HOMECOMING yesterday and in my opinion is the best movie of 2017 so far. I am not going to post SPOILERS here, but its one of the best MARVEL STUDIOS movies ever. Its just too much fun.

Now bring in THOR RAGNAROK and I will be  avery happy guy.

Go watch SPIDER-MAN, folks ! And thank me later.

Gus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Is it wrong that I’m actually a lot more excited for the new “Apes” movie?  :dontgetit:

The missus and I are even debating whether to see this one theatrically or not; we have Comic Con in a couple weeks, and don’t have too much time to take in movies (after Comic Con, I’m heading to Vegas for the ST con).  And frankly, I’m just a little bit tired of Spiderman.   And while I’m sure Marvel’s movie division will give it that ‘next level’ treatment it’s long deserved, my enthusiasm for it just isn’t there anymore for some reason.  

With few exceptions, the Marvel movies are starting to make my eyes glaze over now... Marvel burnout (?).  I dunno. 

Lotsa luck to them.  I’m sure it’ll do spectacular biz even without my $$.  

No.

I just got back from it and it's honestly a good Marvel movie. Holland is likable, Keaton is a great bad guy, and even Jennifer Connelly has a few good lines.

It's a good movie. It's just very...Marvel. For me, it's not really burnout as I'm looking forward to the Avengers and Black Panther and more set to come out of the stable. I just have never had an overriding love for Spider-Man.

It's a good movie, but in terms of what each brings to the table it is in no way better than Maguire's Spider-Man 2.

Well, okay, this Aunt May's hotter, but that's it.

Will be seeing Apes on Friday and absolutely excited to do it.

 

I walked out from Spidey to a threepeat of WW, and I think I liked it better the third time than Spider-Man's once. It has stuck with me. Unless the Duchess wants to see Spidey, I won't double dip.

Edited by prometheus59650

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

No.

I just got back from it and it's honestly a good Marvel movie. Holland is likable, Keaton is a great bad guy, and even Jennifer Connelly has a few good lines.

It's a good movie. It's just very...Marvel. For me, it's not really burnout as I'm looking forward to the Avengers and Black Panther and more set to come out of the stable. I just have never had an overriding love for Spider-Man.

It's a good movie, but in terms of what each brings to the table it is in no way better than Maguire's Spider-Man 2.

Well, okay, this Aunt May's hotter, but that's it.

Will be seeing Apes on Friday and absolutely excited to do it.

 

I walked out from Spidey to a threepeat of WW, and I think I liked it better the third time than Spider-Man's once. It has stuck with me. Unless the Duchess wants to see Spidey, I won't double dip.

WW really set the bar high this year (and I’d never thought I’d say that about a Snyder-produced DC film, but yeah... it’s true this time).

Spiderman looks good enough (I’m not suggesting it’s bad), but it looks like just so much product cranked out of the admittedly well-oiled Marvel machine.  As surprising as a sunrise in the east.   If I see it at all this summer, I think I’ll catch it at a bargain theatre.  

I’m just not willing to plunk down serious movie-cash for this one, especially with an “Apes” sequel coming out next week and Comic Con the week after that...

WW was so good it actually made the Marvel machine look a bit stale by comparison.  :dontgetit:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its your loss

SPIDER-MAN HOMECOMING is much more fun and spectacular movie than WONDER WOMAN, which in turn was avery good movie.

But if you are not a Spidey fan, welll................there you are.

Gus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GustavoLeao said:

Its your loss

SPIDER-MAN HOMECOMING is much more fun and spectacular movie than WONDER WOMAN, which in turn was avery good movie.

But if you are not a Spidey fan, welll................there you are.

Gus

I used to be a fan of the comic books when I was a kid, and I liked the 2nd McGuire movie, but everything since just hasn't worked for me.   Like I said, I might see it at a bargain matinee sometime after Comic Con, but for right now?  The apes are calling.... :laugh:

And sorry, but I have a really hard time believing it surpasses WW; that movie was near-perfection as far as comic book adaptations go; I'm still shocked it came out of DC (!!).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Spiderman looks good enough (I’m not suggesting it’s bad), but it looks like just so much product cranked out of the admittedly well-oiled Marvel machine.  As surprising as a sunrise in the east.

That, I think is why I'm liking the movies that at least play with the boundaries of the "Marvel formula" even a little. I think Ant-Man did by consciously keeping everything small scale, no pun intended. And Dr. Strange. And Black Panther looks a bit more serious.

GotG2 was literally just more GotG. I bet I could edit scenes from those movies together and show them to one who hadn't seen them and they wouldn't know the difference. Spider-Man: Homecoming is just...typical Marvel. Maybe that's what it needed to be after the last two firmly crap films to show people that they truly had the reins again, but it's unremarkable.

Entertaining, but you'll forget what happened in it an hour later.

3 hours ago, GustavoLeao said:

SPIDER-MAN HOMECOMING is much more fun and spectacular movie than WONDER WOMAN,

Spidey is Marvel spectacle. Wonder Woman actually had some dramatic heft AND spectacle. Marvel has yet to touch the awesomeness and meaning in a scene like WW climbing the ladder into No Man's Land. If I want sweets I'll always take the stuff that's sweet without being cotton candy.

How much spun sugar can you actually eat before you want something more? I'm reaching the point where I'm having my fill of the plain spun sugar of Marvel no matter how colorful you've made it.

Edited by prometheus59650

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

How much spun sugar can you actually eat before you want something more? I'm reaching the point where I'm having my fill of the plain spun sugar of Marvel no matter how colorful you've made it.

^
SO.

VERY. 

MUCH.

THIS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this