Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Locutus

Pegg and Jung Back to Work Already on Star Trek 4?

40 posts in this topic

Are Pegg and Jung back at work already on Star Tek 4?  

Pegg tweeted a picture of him and Jung sitting at a desk in front of laptops at what appears to be the Bad Robot offices.  Unless they are working on some other unknown Bad Robot production, it would seem he may be teasing his own involvement writing Star Trek 4.  That would make me very happy!

Source:  http://www.darkhorizons.com/pegg-jung-at-work-on-star-trek-4-script/

Edited by Locutus

The nasty comments on those pages are quite telling about a vocal group of alleged Trek fans, more so than the picture, which tells us nothing. They could be looking at cat videos. Still I will see the next movie.

The nasty comments on those pages are quite telling about a vocal group of alleged Trek fans, more so than the picture, which tells us nothing. They could be looking at cat videos. Still I will see the next movie.

Yes, I noticed that comment section is pretty nasty.  I don't think Pegg would bother posting the image if they are just hanging out.  But you're right.  Who really knows?  I'd like to believe they are working on it though.

Hopefully they are. They made a great team for Beyond.

Could also be possibly something to do with Mission: Impossible....as Bad Robot are involved with that franchise now too.

Could also be possibly something to do with Mission: Impossible....as Bad Robot are involved with that franchise now too.

^
That's my guess as well.    MI could be a consolation prize that allows them to continue their collaboration without making another ST movie (a shame; I really liked STB). 

Pegg is, of course, part of M:I, but Pegg and Jung together on it would be very new. Most likely it's Trek.

^
That's my guess as well.    MI could be a consolation prize that allows them to continue their collaboration without making another ST movie (a shame; I really liked STB). 

M:I's next script is done so far as I know. Production has been put on hold due to financing.

Could be that though, but...

Hopefully they are. They made a great team for Beyond.

They did make a great team, especially considering the circumstances.  Given some REAL time to get a script together, they could really knock it out of the park!

I thought Beyond was a decent movie, it certainly wasn't a bad movie.  But it lacked something.  There was an intangible it factor that I found was missing.

They need to come up with a more compelling story.  Something that is just really, really cool.

Well Pegg posted this one today - more worj at Bad Robot ??? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

CzF8aOMVEAAoyOo.jpg

Gus

CzF8aOMVEAAoyOo.jpg

Gus

Yeah, Bad Robot also produces Mission Impossible movies. 

This isn't evidence; all it says is that Pegg is writing for several possible projects.  And, frankly, given Bad Robot's track record for misleading press?  I'm not buying anything till it's official.

CzF8aOMVEAAoyOo.jpg

Gus

This isn't evidence; all it says is that Pegg is writing for several possible projects.  And, frankly, given Bad Robot's track record for misleading press?  I'm not buying anything till it's official.

Bad Robot produces more than just Trek and Mission: Impossible too.  He and Jung could be working on a wholly original work too.  Who knows what they have on their plate.

But it's all about us because it has to be because us. ;)

CzF8aOMVEAAoyOo.jpg

Gus

Bad Robot produces more than just Trek and Mission: Impossible too.  He and Jung could be working on a wholly original work too.  Who knows what they have on their plate.

Hmmm...........I have to admit that this makes sense.

Gus

So I just watched ST09 for the first time in awhile.  I think that if George Kirk is going to be in the movie, there is a small amount of wiggle room.  No body, means anything is possible.

Suppose an undetectable ship (or a ship that was undetected because there was a lot of chaos going on and a lot of other pods were escaping), beamed George off the ship at the last millisecond? 

Star Trek computers certainly have that kind of timing.  One of two things must happen.  You either need a time traveler that for some reason needs George Kirk and wants to save him or someone, say section 31, was there at that moment and was able to save him for something more.

The first scenario makes more sense since George's death came because of a time traveler and obviously it would be nice to have George and Jim actually meet.  But the non-time travel method would allow for an older George Kirk to appear.  The "why" part of that story is something for Pegg to work on.

So I just watched ST09 for the first time in awhile.  I think that if George Kirk is going to be in the movie, there is a small amount of wiggle room.  No body, means anything is possible.

Suppose an undetectable ship (or a ship that was undetected because there was a lot of chaos going on and a lot of other pods were escaping), beamed George off the ship at the last millisecond? 

Star Trek computers certainly have that kind of timing.  One of two things must happen.  You either need a time traveler that for some reason needs George Kirk and wants to save him or someone, say section 31, was there at that moment and was able to save him for something more.

The first scenario makes more sense since George's death came because of a time traveler and obviously it would be nice to have George and Jim actually meet.  But the non-time travel method would allow for an older George Kirk to appear.  The "why" part of that story is something for Pegg to work on.

How about Mirror George Kirk.  Jim Kirk finally gets to meet his dad...AND HE'S EVIL!

DUH DA DUUUUUUUUHH

How about Mirror George Kirk.  Jim Kirk finally gets to meet his dad...AND HE'S EVIL!

DUH DA DUUUUUUUUHH

You could even have William Shatner in there as an old Emperor Tiberius if one were inclined.

Eh.  That would work I suppose.

OR, why make him evil?  Why not have George Kirk PRIME?

With the exception of a few brief comments about George Kirk living to see Jim become a captain, everything we know about George Kirk Prime is from the books.  In other words, not really canon, but COULD be canon.

In the books, George Kirk mysteriously disappeared.  I suppose they could adjust that to fit the line from ST09--again--the books aren't canon.  Suppose shortly after Kirk Prime gets his command, George Kirk is in an accident that sends him to the Kelvin universe?

You can accomplish not only a solid story, but reconnect the prime universe in something other than "but JJ said so."

With the exception of a few brief comments about George Kirk living to see Jim become a captain, everything we know about George Kirk Prime is from the books.  In other words, not really canon, but COULD be canon.

In the books, George Kirk mysteriously disappeared.  I suppose they could adjust that to fit the line from ST09--again--the books aren't canon.  Suppose shortly after Kirk Prime gets his command, George Kirk is in an accident that sends him to the Kelvin universe?

You can accomplish not only a solid story, but reconnect the prime universe in something other than "but JJ said so."

Yeah, but then you have the problem of George Kirk having to return to the prime timeline in order to maintain the INTEGITY of that timeline.   If he doesn't return, his absence in the prime timeline will affect it (he lived to see his son become captain of the Enterprise; that cannot change).  But if he does return to the prime timeline, and promises not to change anything, then you have the VGR reset button issue of forsaking drama just for things to remain at status quo, and nobody seeing a big screen movie wants to pay $13 just to see an entire movie's events undone with no consequences.   What's the point?  

Frankly an evil mirror universe George Kirk sounds like a lot more fun for the actor and the audience than fuddy-duddy prime Kirk...

Yeah, but then you have the problem of George Kirk having to return to the prime timeline in order to maintain the INTEGITY of that timeline.   If he doesn't return, his absence in the prime timeline will affect it (he lived to see his son become captain of the Enterprise; that cannot change).  But if he does return to the prime timeline, and promises not to change anything, then you have the VGR reset button issue of forsaking drama just for things to remain at status quo, and nobody seeing a big screen movie wants to pay $13 just to see an entire movie's events undone with no consequences.   What's the point?  

Frankly an evil mirror universe George Kirk sounds like a lot more fun for the actor and the audience than fuddy-duddy prime Kirk...

This all around, and, I dare say that the audience would have a lot more fun, too.

Why would George Kirk have to return to the prime timeline at all?  He wouldn't.  Nothing Spock Prime said revealed George Kirk Prime's final fate.  Only that he LIVED to see Kirk Prime a captain.  No reason George Prime wasn't still in Starfleet at the time.

So shortly after that, he disappears and is presumed dead.  But he wasn't.  He was in the Kelvin timeline.

The audience wouldn't care about evil George Kirk.  They might care about evil James Kirk, but the Mirror Universe has been done a bunch of times. 

Why would George Kirk have to return to the prime timeline at all?  He wouldn't.  Nothing Spock Prime said revealed George Kirk Prime's final fate.  Only that he LIVED to see Kirk Prime a captain.  No reason George Prime wasn't still in Starfleet at the time.. 

The reason is... because math.

Chris Hemsworth is actually younger than Chris Pine, not a 50-60something who sees his son make captain.  In ST09's new timeline, we see a young George Kirk killed on the day/year of his son's birth in 2233 (George is presumably 30, if Jim Kirk reached his age on his birthday in 2263); now add 30 years to that (STB takes place in 2263).   He couldn't look 30 anymore.   So unless they slather on age makeup or digitally age him, prime George Kirk cannot live to see prime Jim Kirk become Captain AND disappear afterward while looking 30 (even Hemsworth is older than that).  And prime Jim Kirk became captain even later than Kelvin Timeline Jim Kirk.

So shortly after that, he disappears and is presumed dead.  But he wasn't.  He was in the Kelvin timeline.

You don't think Prime Kirk would've spent a good chunk of his life looking for his missing dad?  Or that he would stop short of finding him, shrug his shoulders and just give up?   That'd be wildly out of character...  

Why would George Kirk have to return to the prime timeline at all?  He wouldn't.  Nothing Spock Prime said revealed George Kirk Prime's final fate.  Only that he LIVED to see Kirk Prime a captain.  No reason George Prime wasn't still in Starfleet at the time.. 

The reason is... because math.

Chris Hemsworth is actually younger than Chris Pine, not a 50-60something who sees his son make captain.  In ST09's new timeline, we see a young George Kirk killed on the day/year of his son's birth in 2233 (George is presumably 30, if Jim Kirk reached his age on his birthday in 2263); now add 30 years to that (STB takes place in 2263).   He couldn't look 30 anymore.   So unless they slather on age makeup or digitally age him, prime George Kirk cannot live to see prime Jim Kirk become Captain AND disappear afterward while looking 30 (even Hemsworth is older than that).  And prime Jim Kirk became captain even later than Kelvin Timeline Jim Kirk.

You don't think Prime Kirk would've spent a good chunk of his life looking for his missing dad?  Or that he would stop short of finding him, shrug his shoulders and just give up?   That'd be wildly out of character...  

Considering, you know, Spock was dead, and Kirk basically trashed his career just to retrieve his friend's body, I kind of doubt he'd have just given up on dear old Dad.

Um, they have makeup, which is used all the time.  Winona Ryder was made up to look like she could have a son Quinto's age.  It's actually not hard at all.  Chris Pine is older than Shatner when Shatner first got the role, and Shatner's Kirk had been captain for awhile when we met him, so it's not a problem there either. 

As for Kirk Prime and his missing dad, if the accident showed him dead, he would believe it.  For example, Kirk Prime was sucked into the nexus.  No one knew he was alive.

Watched Beyond again over the weekend. It really is, far and away my favorite of the BR movies - it just has such a lot of heart. 

On the extras, Jung and Pegg talk a little about how their writing relationship "just clicked" so it seems silly to think they wouldn't try to continue, whether it's for Trek or any other project. Maybe BR gave them a three-picture deal of some kind. 

If it includes a Trek movie, I'd cheer. 

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0