GustavoLeao

Nicholas Meyer Slams STAR TREK VI

30 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, prometheus59650 said:

I wonder where the Lucas Replicant buried the original?

The Jundland wastes?  :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, yeah there was some naivety, but I still appreciate "Star Trek VI" as a sendoff for the original crew. It's still one of the best of the Trek films (second only to TWOK). And keep in mind to be fair, peace with the Klingons had its struggles. If the Enterprise-C hadn't intervened at Narendra III in "Yesterday's Enterprise," the Klingons would have handed the Federation's butt to them on a silver platter, not to mention struggles with the Klingons otherwise, the alliance wasn't always that easy, as shown in TNG (and it temporarily collapsed in DS9).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rusty0918 said:

Well, yeah there was some naivety, but I still appreciate "Star Trek VI" as a sendoff for the original crew. It's still one of the best of the Trek films (second only to TWOK). And keep in mind to be fair, peace with the Klingons had its struggles. If the Enterprise-C hadn't intervened at Narendra III in "Yesterday's Enterprise," the Klingons would have handed the Federation's butt to them on a silver platter, not to mention struggles with the Klingons otherwise, the alliance wasn't always that easy, as shown in TNG (and it temporarily collapsed in DS9).

 

I dunno. With its back firmly against the wall, the Federation appears willing to be arguably as ruthless as the Dominion. The Federation was absolutely willing to genocide the Founders. And, if they'd known Garak was going to engineer the deaths of only two people to get the Romulans into the war, they would have approved it. Not to mention happily hosing an ally in "Inter Arma..."

In the years since I've come to believe that the Federation likely would have hatched a plot to Genesis Torpedo the homeworld and a few other industrial centers to break the Empire's back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

I dunno. With its back firmly against the wall, the Federation appears willing to be arguably as ruthless as the Dominion. The Federation was absolutely willing to genocide the Founders. And, if they'd known Garak was going to engineer the deaths of only two people to get the Romulans into the war, they would have approved it. Not to mention happily hosing an ally in "Inter Arma..."

In the years since I've come to believe that the Federation likely would have hatched a plot to Genesis Torpedo the homeworld and a few other industrial centers to break the Empire's back.

Good points. When I caught back up on DS9 I think I accidentally skipped "Inter Arma..." - guess I can rewatch it on Netflix. As Sisko quotes - "desperate times call for desperate measures."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On July 21, 2017 at 0:56 PM, Rusty0918 said:

Good points. When I caught back up on DS9 I think I accidentally skipped "Inter Arma..." - guess I can rewatch it on Netflix. As Sisko quotes - "desperate times call for desperate measures."

Well worth a look; it's one of my favorites of S7.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites