Garak the spy

First Official Cast Members!!

24 posts in this topic

http://www.startrek.com/article/star-trek-discovery-beams-up-three-cast-members

Actors-Insert.jpg

Hot news!! Three actors confirmed to be on Discovery!

We have Doug Jones, as an alien science officer, Michelle Yeoh, as the captain of the "Shenzhou" and Anthony Rapp as another science officer!

Seems pretty legit if you ask me. :laugh:

EDIT: I just became a Cardassian Galor! Given my name and avatar, seems appropriated. :rolleyes:

Actors-Insert.jpg

We have Doug Jones, as an alien science officer, Michelle Yeoh, as the captain of the "Shenzhou" and Anthony Rapp as another science officer!

EDIT: I just became a Cardassian Galor! Given my name and avatar, seems appropriated. :rolleyes:

Doug Jones!! 

giphy.gif

I've met him at Comic Con 2012!   He was so kind to my wife and I.   We talked for a little while about his history with mime, his work in the Hellboy movies (he was Abe Sapien) and physical acting.  He was a sweet man.  Not to mention a terrific actor.   He actually learned and became fluent in Spanish for his work in "Pan's Labyrinth" (2006).

With he and Yeoh onboard?  I'm officially excited again!! :thumbup:

We're getting another female captain?!?, (I know! she isn't captain of the USS discovery, but still that makes me so happy!)

Actors-Insert.jpg

Doug Jones!! 

giphy.gif

I've met him at Comic Con 2012!   He was so kind to my wife and I.   We talked for a little while about his history with mime, his work in the Hellboy movies (he was Abe Sapien) and physical acting.  He was a sweet man.  Not to mention a terrific actor.   He actually learned and became fluent in Spanish for his work in "Pan's Labyrinth" (2006).

With he and Yeoh onboard?  I'm officially excited again!! :thumbup:

Yes!  Thrilled at this news.  My biggest worry was seeing a lineup of hot young actors with no real talent.  These picks appear smart and geared toward getting the best character actors they can find.  And as for Yeoh, I could not be more pleased.  Maybe Rapp is playing a gay scientist?

:-)

We're getting another female captain?!?, (I know! she isn't captain of the USS discovery, but still that makes me so happy!)

I don't know if Yeoh is going to be captain (though I'd LOVE it if she were, believe me!) but I heard the new show is going away from a captain-led format.   The new main character was supposed to be a commander/first officer, but we'll see.   Maybe they've changed that after Bryan Fuller's departure (?).  Who knows...

I don't know if Yeoh is going to be captain (though I'd LOVE it if she were, believe me!) but I heard the new show is going away from a captain-led format.   The new main character was supposed to be a commander/first officer, but we'll see.   Maybe they've changed that after Bryan Fuller's departure (?).  Who knows...

I got the impression that the Shenzhou was supposed to be some sort of companion vessel to Discovery.

But maybe I just made that up in my head. 

I got the impression that the Shenzhou was supposed to be some sort of companion vessel to Discovery.

^
Now I think I remember it too... sure we didn't mind-meld in Vegas? :laugh:

^

Oh my :)

^

Oh my :)

You green-blooded son of a... :laugh:

15178954_1382196115126505_11194703224241

I think I'm gonna like this guy... :P

Cool. :)

How cool would it be to go from relative obscurity to landing a role on Star Trek.  His life will never be the same!

15178954_1382196115126505_11194703224241

I think I'm gonna like this guy... :P

Cool. :)

How cool would it be to go from relative obscurity to landing a role on Star Trek.  His life will never be the same!

I like how happy he looks! 

The actors look fine.

It's nice that they're casting character actors rather than models. Nice. Looking foreward to the show. :)

The actors look fine.

It's nice that they're casting character actors rather than models. Nice. Looking foreward to the show. :)

I get the feeling that their being an online show helps. The suits at the top hire good people and tell them to make the best show you can with the resources we give you. Little interference. Less, "you've got to make the show sexier," like Enterprise got. 

The actors look fine.

I get the feeling that their being an online show helps. The suits at the top hire good people and tell them to make the best show you can with the resources we give you. Little interference. Less, "you've got to make the show sexier," like Enterprise got. 

I still remember the scathing reviews ENT got regarding the obvious and clumsy attempts at adding more sex appeal, like T'Pol's ridiculous catsuits and the contamination scene (those scenes are more clumsy than erotic).   One review in particular (can't remember where I read it) called it "Spacewatch."  :laugh:

TrekNews.net is reporting that Star Trek: Discovery will begin filming in January. This of course means that all the pre-production will need to wrap up this month and in January before the series begins filming.

Gus

The actors look fine.

I still remember the scathing reviews ENT got regarding the obvious and clumsy attempts at adding more sex appeal, like T'Pol's ridiculous catsuits and the contamination scene (those scenes are more clumsy than erotic).   One review in particular (can't remember where I read it) called it "Spacewatch."  :laugh:

"Old" Star Trek was more often rather involuntarily creepy or kinky when it approached sexuality or romance, than not ... DS9 being the exception here most of the time, IMO.

Okay, Kirk's constant womanizing was "only" 60s macho standard, and only looks creepy in retrospect (and he was in good company with James Bond and the likes)... but you had this terrifying Riker/Menuette flirt (uhm... what?!), Data/Tasha which was creepy enough, only to be topped by Geordi's stalking attempts. Then they had to force Troi into this silly big decolletée, only to get her a real uniform when she was "getting too old" (in which she looked much more feminine anyway IMO), but that would only foreshade the habit of forcing actresses into totally sterile-looking catsuits for no other reason than, well, boobs.

But the absolute pinnacle of creepy-kinky was that whole Neelix/Kes thing... OMG. What was that, narcissistic stalker involved with underage girl -- presented without the slightest bit of irony or criticism?

And they wonder why people think Trekkies are perverts... :P

Edited by Sim

Casting Michelle Yeoh as the captain is an inspired choice. Putting it out there but I think she will be the female equivalent of Captain Picard.

I say this based on the roles Yeoh has taken on and her acting style. First of all this lady can ACT! She has played characters who project a commanding presence, but they are often soft-spoken, subtle in their mannerisms and yet deep-down very driven. Watch Croaching Tiger, Hidden Dragon or Memoirs of a Geisha- Yeoh owns those roles.

Yeoh is going to play it very differently from Kate Mulgrew. While Mulgrew added that brashness and can-do attitude with Janeway, Yeoh is probably going to play it more calculating and thoughtful, kind of like No 1 in TOS. Which is why I say Captain Georgiou (is that pronounced George - O ?) is going to captain in a style very similar to Captain Picard; the philosophical, high-principled thinker.

Once more casting Michelle Yeoh was an inspired choice and put a smile to my face when I read the news yesterday.

Casting Michelle Yeoh as the captain is an inspired choice. Putting it out there but I think she will be the female equivalent of Captain Picard.

I say this based on the roles Yeoh has taken on and her acting style. First of all this lady can ACT! She has played characters who project a commanding presence, but they are often soft-spoken, subtle in their mannerisms and yet deep-down very driven. Watch Croaching Tiger, Hidden Dragon or Memoirs of a Geisha- Yeoh owns those roles.

Yeoh is going to play it very differently from Kate Mulgrew. While Mulgrew added that brashness and can-do attitude with Janeway, Yeoh is probably going to play it more calculating and thoughtful, kind of like No 1 in TOS. Which is why I say Captain Georgiou (is that pronounced George - O ?) is going to captain in a style very similar to Captain Picard; the philosophical, high-principled thinker.

Once more casting Michelle Yeoh was an inspired choice and put a smile to my face when I read the news yesterday.

She will only be a recurring character. Captain of the USS Shenzhou, not of the Discovery.

And we do know that the new lead character will NOT be the Captain of the Discovery. The new lead character will be "a non-white female" Lt. Cmdr. called "Number One".

While I can't say definitively whether she'll be better than so-and-so just yet, her casting also brought a smile to my face as well.

I've only seen her in a few films, but her subtle, dignified performance in "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" bodes well for DSC.   I also enjoyed her in my guilty pleasure Bond movie "Tomorrow Never Dies."  I agree that, if used well, she could elevate the show with her talent.   And yes, I agree that she has a sort of instant authority about her, not too dissimilar from Sir Patrick Stewart in that regard (good observation, Integral!).  But sadly, she is not the lead of the new series; her character is captain of a sister ship; the USS Shenzhou.  Here's hoping they use her smartly. 

I am also a big fan of Guillermo del Toro-favorite Doug Jones (he played "Ape Sapien"; the aquatic member of Hellboy's crew, in both the movies and the feature cartoons).   Jones also played the creepy/scary lead "Gentleman" in the classic Buffy silent episode, "Hush."   And he is also a very nice guy (met him at Comic Con 2012 and we talked for a few minutes about his extensive background in mime and physical acting).  With his lanky, thin frame (he has a classic mime physique) and given that he's playing an unknown alien species?  I'm guessing his familiarity with heavy prosthetics-acting made him an obvious choice.   He was also 'the pale man' in "Pan's Labyrinth"; one of the best and certainly darkest fantasies I've seen (he learned fluent Spanish for the role, too!).

Sadly, I'm not at all familiar with Anthony Rapp, but I look forward to a fresh face in there too.  Given the prior two choices and the thought/care that went into their casting?  Rapp automatically has my benefit of any possible doubt.   

While I can't say definitively whether she'll be better than so-and-so just yet, her casting also brought a smile to my face as well.

I've only seen her in a few films, but her subtle, dignified performance in "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" bodes well for DSC.   I also enjoyed her in my guilty pleasure Bond movie "Tomorrow Never Dies."  I agree that, if used well, she could elevate the show with her talent.   And yes, I agree that she has a sort of instant authority about her, not too dissimilar from Sir Patrick Stewart in that regard (good observation, Integral!).  But sadly, she is not the lead of the new series; her character is captain of a sister ship; the USS Shenzhou.  Here's hoping they use her smartly. 

I am also a big fan of Guillermo del Toro-favorite Doug Jones (he played "Ape Sapien"; the aquatic member of Hellboy's crew, in both the movies and the feature cartoons).   Jones also played the creepy/scary lead "Gentleman" in the classic Buffy silent episode, "Hush."   And he is also a very nice guy (met him at Comic Con 2012 and we talked for a few minutes about his extensive background in mime and physical acting).  With his lanky, thin frame (he has a classic mime physique) and given that he's playing an unknown alien species?  I'm guessing his familiarity with heavy prosthetics-acting made him an obvious choice.   He was also 'the pale man' in "Pan's Labyrinth"; one of the best and certainly darkest fantasies I've seen (he learned fluent Spanish for the role, too!).

Sadly, I'm not at all familiar with Anthony Rapp, but I look forward to a fresh face in there too.  Given the prior two choices and the thought/care that went into their casting?  Rapp automatically has my benefit of any possible doubt.   

Never heard of the other two actors, just Yeoh, and I am aware that Yeoh will be playing the captain of the USS Shenzhou.

If Discovery plays it cards well like DS9 did with characters then I would rather see main characters in fewer episodes if they are more interesting than in more episodes where they get forced in to fit the plot; Voyager suffered badly from this.