Mr.Picard

TV Series Recommendations

Hi y'all,

I realize that maybe, just maybe I'm asking the wrong audience given how strongly people here lean towards genres I normally don't watch, but I need series recommendations. It doesn't matter if it's a new series or an older one although I am willing to give new/contemporary series a chance, too.

Contemporary/ongoing series I'm already watching:

- The Walking Dead

- Better Call Saul

- Sherlock

- Man In The High Castle

My requirements:

- Should have more than one season already and be stable ratings-wise OR be finished soon or already - mini series are fine, too!

- No sci-fi, action, comedy, Marvel/DC or any other comic book superhero stuff - oh and no romance (I get it that most series have to have SOME of it, but please, not TOO much of it)

- Would love it if the show had a gay or asexual/aromantic main character but I realize that this is probably wishful thinking

- Genres I like: Horror, drama, history, 80s, 90s. Can also be mixed with a genre I normally don't like, for example the genre of horror and comedy CAN work for me. Same goes for horror and sci-fi although it REALLY has to have a HEAVY focus on horror there.

- Episodes should be between 30 and 45 minutes long if possible, I'm really not someone who enjoys watching overly long episodes, if I want something like that I'll watch a movie

- HAS to be available on DVD or have planned DVD releases for each season

- Has to have SUBSTANCE. Y'know, like TNG. With morals and ethics and questions and whatnot. I like stuff that makes me THINK. No "popcorn TV", please.

Sim   

Hi y'all,

I realize that maybe, just maybe I'm asking the wrong audience given how strongly people here lean towards genres I normally don't watch, but I need series recommendations. It doesn't matter if it's a new series or an older one although I am willing to give new/contemporary series a chance, too.

- The Walking Dead

- Better Call Saul

- Sherlock

- Man In The High Castle

My requirements:

- Should have more than one season already and be stable ratings-wise OR be finished soon or already - mini series are fine, too!

- No sci-fi, action, comedy, Marvel/DC or any other comic book superhero stuff - oh and no romance (I get it that most series have to have SOME of it, but please, not TOO much of it)

- Would love it if the show had a gay or asexual/aromantic main character but I realize that this is probably wishful thinking

- Genres I like: Horror, drama, history, 80s, 90s. Can also be mixed with a genre I normally don't like, for example the genre of horror and comedy CAN work for me. Same goes for horror and sci-fi although it REALLY has to have a HEAVY focus on horror there.

- Episodes should be between 30 and 45 minutes long if possible, I'm really not someone who enjoys watching overly long episodes, if I want something like that I'll watch a movie

- Has to have SUBSTANCE. Y'know, like TNG. With morals and ethics and questions and whatnot. I like stuff that makes me THINK. No "popcorn TV", please.

One of my all-time favorite series', which I consider a real masterpiece on all levels you can imagine -- really, I can't praise this show enough --, is the 2001-05 HBO drama "Six Feet Under".

It meets most of your criteria too: It has 5 seasons, finished, with (a) well planned arc(s). It's available on DVD (not too expensive either, I think you should be able to get the entire series for €30-€50). It's drama. It has two gay main characters. And it has tons and tons of substance -- mostly philosophy about mortality, dying and meaning of life, up to more mundane questions of human interaction.

Just the episodes are slightly longer than you ask for IIRC, more like between 45 and 55 minutes each. But that really shouldn't keep you away from it.

Star Trek/X-Files aside, this is the show I rewatched most often so far, and never found it boring. My best buddy loves it, too. The show really "spoke to me", and like in a really good book, there was something new to discover each time I rewatched it.

If you haven't seen it yet, this would be my first, second and third recommendation.

Edited by Sim

Hi y'all,

- The Walking Dead

- Better Call Saul

- Sherlock

- Man In The High Castle

My requirements:

One of my all-time favorite series', which I consider a real masterpiece on all levels you can imagine -- really, I can't praise this show enough --, is the 2001-05 HBO drama "Six Feet Under".

It meets most of your criteria too: It has 5 seasons, finished, with (a) well planned arc(s). It's available on DVD (not too expensive either, I think you should be able to get the entire series for €30-€50). It's drama. It has two gay main characters. And it has tons and tons of substance -- mostly philosophy about mortality, dying and meaning of life, up to more mundane questions of human interaction.

Just the episodes are slightly longer than you ask for IIRC, more like between 45 and 55 minutes each. But that really shouldn't keep you away from it.

Star Trek/X-Files aside, this is the show I rewatched most often so far, and never found it boring. My best buddy loves it, too. The show really "spoke to me", and like in a really good book, there was something new to discover each time I rewatched it.

If you haven't seen it yet, this would be my first, second and third recommendation.

No, I haven't seen it yet. Heard of it, but never seen it. I'll check it out, definitely! And no worries, between 45 and 55 minutes an episode is within a certain tolerance level for me, it should work out fine in that regard.

Thanks for the recommendation! :) *takes notes*

Sim   

Hi y'all,

- The Walking Dead

- Better Call Saul

- Sherlock

- Man In The High Castle

My requirements:

No, I haven't seen it yet. Heard of it, but never seen it. I'll check it out, definitely! And no worries, between 45 and 55 minutes an episode is within a certain tolerance level for me, it should work out fine in that regard.

I could be wrong, but my guess is that you'll love it. :)

As a fourth recommendation, I'd name the Netflix series "Stranger Things".

Perhaps you've heard about it -- it's mostly a mix of horror wrapped in a coming of age-frame story. It's heavy on 80s nostalgia, both in setting and style -- imagine Stephen King and Steven Spielberg co-wrote the story, and John Carpenter directed it. ;)

So far, there is one season of 8 episodes, which works perfectly as a mini series. It doesn't require a continuation, although it leaves room for one, so the main story is closed over the course of these 8 episodes, no open end.

IIRC, no gay main character unfortunately, though one mysterious character might pass as asexual... until... well, I guess you'd hate this one idea if you ever watch the show. :P

Hi y'all,

- The Walking Dead

- Better Call Saul

- Sherlock

- Man In The High Castle

My requirements:

Perhaps you've heard about it -- it's mostly a mix of horror wrapped in a coming of age-frame story. It's heavy on 80s nostalgia, both in setting and style -- imagine Stephen King and Steven Spielberg co-wrote the story, and John Carpenter directed it. ;)

So far, there is one season of 8 episodes, which works perfectly as a mini series. It doesn't require a continuation, although it leaves room for one, so the main story is closed over the course of these 8 episodes, no open end.

IIRC, no gay main character unfortunately, though one mysterious character might pass as asexual... until... well, I guess you'd hate this one idea if you ever watch the show. :P

I've heard of "Stranger Things", in fact, I've heard a lot about it, quite a few people have told me to watch it because "it's 80s, you love the 80s so much, it SCREAMS 80s". It has been on my "to check out" list, so yeah. I might like it, who knows! :) 

Hi y'all,

- The Walking Dead

- Better Call Saul

- Sherlock

- Man In The High Castle

My requirements:

I've heard of "Stranger Things", in fact, I've heard a lot about it, quite a few people have told me to watch it because "it's 80s, you love the 80s so much, it SCREAMS 80s". It has been on my "to check out" list, so yeah. I might like it, who knows! :) 

^
Indeed!  It feels more like an '80s show than a 21st century show.  It feels like the '80s bred love-child of Stephen King and Steven Spielberg.

Oh, and as someone who grew up in the '80s?  They get the feel just right.   I was about 15 or 16 the year the show takes place (1983) and I can vouch for the authenticity (at least for North American life...).

Hi y'all,

- The Walking Dead

- Better Call Saul

- Sherlock

- Man In The High Castle

My requirements:

Six Feet Under is one of my all-time favorite shows. I second Sim's recommendation.