Sign in to follow this  
GustavoLeao

KONG: SKULL ISLAND

Recommended Posts

Good morning - bom dia !
 
King Kong Battles All Manner Of Monsters In Epic New Trailer For KONG: SKULL ISLAND
 
Warner Bros. has released the action-packed new trailer for Kong: Skull Island, and as well as revealing plenty of new plot details, we get to see the iconic beast in action against a lot of monsters!
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The trailer actually looks kind of silly. It looks like they crossed some Michael Bay type military dough boys with a King Kong movie and a lot of explosions happen. It probably is better than the trailer though. The King Kong one by Peter Jackson years ago had issues too. This looks more like a remake of a 1980s action film and gives off a Jurassic Park II meets Predator meets Commando meets Return of King Kong vibe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Locutus   

I like the special effects and the classic look they give to Kong.  I am also excited that John Goodman is involved.  However, the sardonic one-liners from John C. Reilly really bring the trailer down in my opinion.  They make the movie look too campy for my taste.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kenman   

I am a huge fan of the original Kong movie...and I feel no Kong movie since has ever come close. That said despite the dumb action angle...it looks alright. It is from the same people behind the recent American Godzilla remake. My problem with that movie was most certainly that they had one interesting character portrayed by a charismatic actor, and he was killed in the first 15 minutes, then we had to spend the rest of the movie with boring bland son who exhuded no charisma at all.  If this film can at least have, you know, characters played by likable actors?  I could be entertained. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
One Final Action-Packed Trailer For KONG: SKULL ISLAND Proves Who's King
 
We thought we'd seen the last trailer for Kong: Skull Island, but now one more has been revealed which features "Groove" by Young Guru as the King unleashes his full might on man and monster alike.
 
Looking good.
 
 
This movie is looking good. But my money is still with Toho GODZILLA movies (SHIN GODZILLA was amazing and i just watched these days 1989's GODZILLA VS BIOLLANTE, a really good entry in the franchise!)
 
Gus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

Just...never been a Kong guy, I guess.

Same.

Loved the '33 original, but everything after has been kinda ho-hum for me...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Willis O' Brien's King Kong is really a launch pad for every monster flick that followed.

I dunno, I'll probably see this if my daughter wants to go, but otherwise... probably won't bother until it turns up on TV. I have to say, it does look incredibly dumb.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Same.

Loved the '33 original, but everything after has been kinda ho-hum for me...

Each attempt looks better, but there's not really a lot there to work with in terms of story.

3 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Same.

Loved the '33 original, but everything after has been kinda ho-hum for me...

Each attempt looks better, but there's not really a lot there to work with in terms of story.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Robin Bland said:

Willis O' Brien's King Kong is really a launch pad for every monster flick that followed.

I dunno, I'll probably see this if my daughter wants to go, but otherwise... probably won't bother until it turns up on TV. I have to say, it does look incredibly dumb.

^
:laugh:

That last sentence articulates exactly what my inner id was thinking but couldn't write because of my internal Tact Police.  :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

^
:laugh:

That last sentence articulates exactly what my inner id was thinking but couldn't write because of my internal Tact Police.  :P

Sorry, I seem to vacillate between entirely reasonable and utterly tactless with very little in-between.

Incredibly dumb is just fine sometimes when you want nothing more than a rollercoaster - big, dumb fun. So if I'm feeling stupid on any given day when this out I may be drawn to it. But it's not a big, hairy date exactly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kenman   

I have long said I am sucker for all sorts of ape movies.  Love Planet of the Apes, love Kong.  The original is one of the best films of the 30s. There are elements I like from btoh the 70s remake, it's sequel King Kong Lives...and I admit there are elements I even get a kick out of the overblown Jackson remake.  I can't say this version appeals to me much..but I will likely see it, jut doubt the theater is the place I will get to for it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kenman   
3 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

Planet of the Apes (the current remakes) have been wonderful, I must say.

Very true. But I can get into even the crummy installments of the original run (though the Burton remake need not be spoken of). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, kenman said:

Very true. But I can get into even the crummy installments of the original run (though the Burton remake need not be spoken of). 

They never really grabbed me, though I always did like Roddy McDowall's performances.

The newer ones have a little more heft. Wait, Tim Burton made a "Planet..." movie? I must have blocked that out because horrible film.

Edited by prometheus59650

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Planet of the Apes reboot movies are, excuse the pun, an entirely different animal from a Kong movie.  They're intelligent, they have much insightful commentary and they're beautifully made.   There is no comparison.  It's like comparing The Arrival to Independence Day; one is an intelligent exploration of first contact, the other is a roller coaster.   And as Robin noted above, sometimes the roller coaster ride is just fine.  But K:SI just holds no appeal to me at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kenman   
11 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

The Planet of the Apes reboot movies are, excuse the pun, an entirely different animal from a Kong movie.  They're intelligent, they have much insightful commentary and they're beautifully made.   There is no comparison.  It's like comparing The Arrival to Independence Day; one is an intelligent exploration of first contact, the other is a roller coaster.   And as Robin noted above, sometimes the roller coaster ride is just fine.  But K:SI just holds no appeal to me at all.

Hey, I'm just saying I like a variety of films that happen to feature some kind of Ape in a major role.  This latest one is less appealing to me, but on the whole I'[ve always enjoyed a bit of Kong, particularly the original, which is probably in my top 10 films of all time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, kenman said:

Hey, I'm just saying I like a variety of films that happen to feature some kind of Ape in a major role.  This latest one is less appealing to me, but on the whole I'[ve always enjoyed a bit of Kong, particularly the original, which is probably in my top 10 films of all time. 

And I agree; sometimes the roller coaster is fun and fine, but this one just doesn't do anything for me personally.  But hey, if one is curious?   Go for it.  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, GustavoLeao said:

KONG: SKULL ISLAND Stomps All Over The Box Office With A Huge $61M Opening; LOGAN Passes $150M Domestic

Like Logan the week before, Kong: Skull Island has also managed to exceed all early expectations with an opening bow of a little over $61 million, $142.6 million worldwide.

Not surprising that most of it's take ($81 million) came from overseas markets; this is precisely the kind of dumb action movie that doesn't require too much appreciation for dialogue and nuance to attain an audience.  It's basically CGI monsters kicking the crap out of each other.   Movies like this, the Transformers series and the Fast & Furious movies make me depressed for the future of movies as an art form.

Here's hoping we still get the occasional intelligent blockbuster like "The Martian" , "The Arrival' or "Interstellar"....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kenman   

While I've not seen it, a critic friend of mine has highly recommended it, calling it good fun at the theater. He is a monster movie fan, so that certainly plays into it, but I've come to respect with opinion and end up agreeing with him a lot (though we've had some definite disagreements too).  From what I gathered, this isn't Transformers level of nauseating and dumb (he can't stand those films), but when it comes to good fun at the theater, he tends to be a good judge, even if it is dumb action movies.  And let's not be sad for film as an art form, 2016 was a pretty good year for films with integrity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw KONG yesterday, A good movie, but unfortunately, not a great one.

The cast is excellent, but the story is not that awesome at all.

Hoping the next America GODZILLA flick will be better than this one.

Gus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, GustavoLeao said:

Saw KONG yesterday, A good movie, but unfortunately, not a great one.

The cast is excellent, but the story is not that awesome at all.

Hoping the next America GODZILLA flick will be better than this one.

Gus

If you don't want to wait?  Seek out the latest Japanese one, "Shin Godzilla" (2016); I saw it last October, and it was pretty good (despite a deliberately oddly-paced first hour).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I already have SHIN GODZILLA on DVD (a Japanese DVD which was kinda cheap on eBay) and I loved it, one of the best movies of 2016 !

Gus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this