Sign in to follow this  
GustavoLeao

CBS admits Discovery wouldn't cut it on broadcast TV

Who cares where and what it airs on if it exists? It just needs to be accessible. The TV landscape is changing weekly, daily. When we realised we no longer watched broadcast TV, we cut the cord. Much cheaper. Shows'll turn up on Hulu or Amazon or whatever the next day, anyhow. And we get our UK news services, so, great. The money we saved, I can afford CBSAA now. 

Agreed. We also cut the cord...my wife and I did so when we moved in together just before we married. Saved us a bundle.  And luckily Netflix started producing their original content not too long after...and the benefits began to really show themselves. You can get high quality entertainment for less these days. And since we actually split our Netflix account with my brothers, we actually save a lot as it goes from like $12 a month to only $4 (though, one brother tends to give us Netflix Gift Cards each Christmas, paying everyone's part...so for the last few years Netflix has costed me personally nothing). There are a few shows on over-the-air channels we like and watch, but often we just forget to watch and end up watching it later online. 

Wait...what are we talking about?  I'm getting off track now!  Anyhow...the point is, Discovery need not be on regular TV...as it really doesn't matter as much as it once did.

I think being on regular TV would hurt it more than help it at this point. 

A most likely true sentiment that CBS seems to agree with.

Kenman, that was a useful post because I didn't know Netflix gift cards existed! And that's what I'm gonna ask for...! We got HBO too and Hulu. It's still a hell of a lot cheaper than what we were paying with Verizon FiOS.

Glad to help! Yea my brother has gotten them for me and my other brother for the last couple years (the gift card to the other brother is then handed off to me, the actual owner of the account), but essentially, he has paid our Netflix the last 2 years entirely himself.

My sister finally got Netflix to watch the Gilmore Girls revival (her favorite show); I should get a few for her as a stocking stuffer.

Great idea, Kenman! :)

Haha, that is pretty sweet. Netflix gift cards - the gift that keeps on giving!

kenman   

Who cares where and what it airs on if it exists? It just needs to be accessible. The TV landscape is changing weekly, daily. When we realised we no longer watched broadcast TV, we cut the cord. Much cheaper. Shows'll turn up on Hulu or Amazon or whatever the next day, anyhow. And we get our UK news services, so, great. The money we saved, I can afford CBSAA now. 

Agreed. We also cut the cord...my wife and I did so when we moved in together just before we married. Saved us a bundle.  And luckily Netflix started producing their original content not too long after...and the benefits began to really show themselves. You can get high quality entertainment for less these days. And since we actually split our Netflix account with my brothers, we actually save a lot as it goes from like $12 a month to only $4 (though, one brother tends to give us Netflix Gift Cards each Christmas, paying everyone's part...so for the last few years Netflix has costed me personally nothing). There are a few shows on over-the-air channels we like and watch, but often we just forget to watch and end up watching it later online. 

Wait...what are we talking about?  I'm getting off track now!  Anyhow...the point is, Discovery need not be on regular TV...as it really doesn't matter as much as it once did.

I think being on regular TV would hurt it more than help it at this point. 

A most likely true sentiment that CBS seems to agree with.

Kenman, that was a useful post because I didn't know Netflix gift cards existed! And that's what I'm gonna ask for...! We got HBO too and Hulu. It's still a hell of a lot cheaper than what we were paying with Verizon FiOS.

Glad to help! Yea my brother has gotten them for me and my other brother for the last couple years (the gift card to the other brother is then handed off to me, the actual owner of the account), but essentially, he has paid our Netflix the last 2 years entirely himself.

My sister finally got Netflix to watch the Gilmore Girls revival (her favorite show); I should get a few for her as a stocking stuffer.

Great idea, Kenman! :)

Anytime!