Sign in to follow this  
Dr Niemann

Require a TNG book recommendation!

Hi all, I'm sitting here in the mood to try out some Trek literature, and am looking for a recommendation, if you'd be so kind.

Actually, I'm looking for THE book recommendation!

TNG based. A one-off story, no parts one, two or three. Something with heart, and will take me back to those TNG days. :)

If anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate it muchly!

Sim   

As for standalone TNG novels, I'd recommend a 90s novel by Peter David. "Vendetta", "Q-in-Law", "Imzadi", "Q Squared" are all fine, really.

As for standalone TNG novels, I'd recommend a 90s novel by Peter David. "Vendetta", "Q-in-Law", "Imzadi", "Q Squared" are all fine, really.

:) Cheers Sim; I should have said. I have quite a 90s collection, including these. 

In my head, I had something 'more recent'. Even perhaps post Nemesis?

Sim   

:) Cheers Sim; I should have said. I have quite a 90s collection, including these. 

In my head, I had something 'more recent'. Even perhaps post Nemesis?

Well there are a couple of decent post-NEM TNG novels, but none of them is standalone. They are all interconnected and telling an ongoing frame story.

The cornerstone of the post-NEM novelverse is the "Destiny" trilogy which is pretty good IMO, but alas it's 3 books and not purely TNG either, but a TNG/DS9/Titan crossover plus characters from ENT and VOY.

Another amazing trilogy is "Cold Equations", wich is purely TNG, but yes, three books. But IMO it's great, especially when you like Data and when you don't mind the resurrection of characters that are supposed to be dead according to canon. :)

Hammer   

Although not a classic like the books that Sim mentioned, but I enjoyed Takedown by John Jackson Miller because I thought it was a smart climax to the book. 

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/22609584-takedown

It's a stand-alone, although there will be the occasional reference to the wider novel-verse. It is the Enterprise, but a few characters are moved around. 

Although not a classic like the books that Sim mentioned, but I enjoyed Takedown by John Jackson Miller because I thought it was a smart climax to the book. 

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/22609584-takedown

It's a stand-alone, although there will be the occasional reference to the wider novel-verse. It is the Enterprise, but a few characters are moved around. 

Thanks all for the suggestions! But this ^ nabbed my attention. I'm going to give it a tribble-n-try. :)

Hammer   

I'm glad you liked it. JJM sticks mostly to Star Wars but has recently branched over to Star Trek and I'm liking his Trek novels so far.

After that novel, JJM wrote a 3 parter, of which I've read the first novel, Hell's Heart. It's about the ENT E organizing a conference of heirs to the house of Kruge (villain from 'The Search for Spock') which goes terribly wrong. One supposed heir, who claims he was adopted by Kruge 100 years ago after his father died fighting for him, has stepped forward to claim the house. This heir has a lot of animosity towards the federation. I thought it was a page-turner and I have the next two on reserve. There are some minor references to the Takedown affair in Hell's Heart but nothing that would make it necessary to read beforehand. 

Sign in to follow this