Sign in to follow this  
GustavoLeao

Doug Jung on the Future of STAR TREK Franchise

I just hope they don't do some kind of darker ST, ala "Zero Dark Thirty"; personally I'm a bit sick of dark Trek.  I miss optimistic Trek.   That's one of the reasons that STB was so satisfying to me personally; I thought Starbase Yorktown (and all it represented) was a nice, big shining example of the kind of positivity that ST has been lacking of late...

It doesn't fit to today's television/movie preferences anymore though. Younger people already laugh at TNG's optimism (they do appreciate it in a way but they also find it funny and often even somewhat weird). Dark Trek with a few light-hearted moments is most likely what we'll continue to get for now. (One more reason why I've turned my back on the franchise as a whole. I don't want Dark Trek. At all.)

It doesn't fit to today's television/movie preferences anymore though. Younger people already laugh at TNG's optimism (they do appreciate it in a way but they also find it funny and often even somewhat weird). Dark Trek with a few light-hearted moments is most likely what we'll continue to get for now. (One more reason why I've turned my back on the franchise as a whole. I don't want Dark Trek. At all.)

I can't say I blame you.

It was nice to feel a little rush of old style ST optimism in ST Beyond; the splendor and hope of Yorktown Starbase, a main character's same-sex husband and their daughter revealed almost as an afterthought (a kiss would've been nice, but for ST it's progress), as well as the hopeful message overall; that diversity gives strength.   All the different characters from very different cultures and backgrounds (including the alien Jaylah) uniting to overcome adversity.   Scotty puts it succinctly, "Ye cannae break a stick in a bundle."  

This was something I hadn't felt with the prior two movies and I think it's really something I'd like to see going forward.  

Too bad Paramount sabotage the 50th anniversary with their bad foreign release dates for BEYOND and no STAR TREK specials or retrospectives on CBS and so forth,

Gus

Star Trek Beyond's Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto and Justin Lin on why the franchise has lived long and prospered and remembering Leonard Nimoy

Quinto describes Nimoy as a "dear friend and mentor".

"Leonard became family to me. I never expected that that would be one of the by-products of our connection," he says.

"We met as a result of sharing this character but our relationship quickly evolved beyond that and evolved to point where ultimately the character was only a minor facet of our friendship."

Quinto says Nimoy was prolific as a writer, poet, director and a photographer.

"He was so generous of spirit and really wise and very compassionate and fought for the causes he believed in, and was very generous at the end of his life philanthropically. He's a very prime example of a life well-lived and is definitely an inspiration for me as I move through mine."

http://www.hepburnadvocate.com.au/story/4046453/star-trek-beyonds-chris-pine-zachary-quinto-and-justin-lin-on-why-the-franchise-has-lived-long-and-prospered/?cs=4107

Gus

Sign in to follow this