Sign in to follow this  
prometheus59650

Roberto Orci: Racially insensitive. (NSFW)

Ha. Even the slur doesn't make sense. I learned from taking Spanish class for college about 20 years ago that that particular slur (not posting it obviously) was invented because of the language barrier, which made it seem even more brainless. A Spanish speaker would not use it to describe himself, or Spock.

Orci needs to stop posting his rants, as he is at this point embarrassing to Hollywood.

Spock was not an immigrant either. Even JJ got it right. 'He is a child of two worlds' so he had dual citizenship. If anything he would be a naturalized Federation citizen, if they still do it that way in the future.

I would think by the 2260s the Federation would do away with such trivialities as "national borders and issues of citizenship and immigration" and everyone from Sol is simply immediately natural born citizenry. You can be born on Earth, Luna Mars, a starbase, or whatnot.

Edited by Chimera82405

Sim   

I had never heard the term "****" before. My online dictionary didn't know it, but there was a user discussion about it.

All I now know about it is that it's a "derogatory term for Mexicans". Okay. That can mean anything. Is it, like, a more or less harmless term, or really, really offensive?

It's generally considered quite offensive. Perhaps not the most offensive of terms that you can use for a person of Hispanic/Latin decent, maybe. There are others that seem more offensive to me, but I'm a white guy so I'm not an authority, but it's right up there.

I'm a Latino and I'm not really offended. . .  Context matters to me and he clearly wasn't using it to disparage anyone. I'm more offended that this guy made those crappy reboot movies. :P I'm waiting for an apology on that. :P

I would say that he was saying that Spock is an "outsider". Which, technically, he is. In fact, Spock is the model for all the other "outsider" characters in later Treks. Data, Odo, Seven of Nine, T'Pol. He's not an immigrant, of course. It seemed like such a stupid comparison to make anyways ...

Hammer   

I had never heard the term "****" before. My online dictionary didn't know it, but there was a user discussion about it.

All I now know about it is that it's a "derogatory term for Mexicans". Okay. That can mean anything. Is it, like, a more or less harmless term, or really, really offensive?

I guess it depends on context?

http://www.spicnspan.com/

I'm a Latino and I'm not really offended. . .  Context matters to me and he clearly wasn't using it to disparage anyone. I'm more offended that this guy made those crappy reboot movies. :P I'm waiting for an apology on that. :P

I would say that he was saying that Spock is an "outsider". Which, technically, he is. In fact, Spock is the model for all the other "outsider" characters in later Treks. Data, Odo, Seven of Nine, T'Pol. He's not an immigrant, of course. It seemed like such a stupid comparison to make anyways ...

Yeah, Spock is hardly an immigrant; then again, this is the genius who referred to the Federation as a "peacekeeping armada" (which is a fleet, not a government). :giggle:

I also agree with you that context matters.   S--c is a horrible word, but I agree that he wasn't using it to put down hispanics (is it any different from an black rapper using the N-word in a rap song?).  I'm not at all qualified to tell anyone of a certain culture what is appropriate within their given or assumed culture. 

Nevertheless, it just seems that Roberto Orci has a real problem with PR.   His online war with fans (the infamous "f--k off" remark on Trekmovie.com) cost him some capital in Star Trek circles.   It just seems that whenever he opens his mouth, he immediately rams his foot into it...

Yeah, Spock is hardly an immigrant; then again, this is the genius who referred to the Federation as a "peacekeeping armada" (which is a fleet, not a government). :giggle:

I also agree with you that context matters.   S--c is a horrible word, but I agree that he wasn't using it to put down hispanics (is it any different from an black rapper using the N-word in a rap song?).  I'm not at all qualified to tell anyone of a certain culture what is appropriate within their given or assumed culture. 

Nevertheless, it just seems that Roberto Orci has a real problem with PR.   His online war with fans (the infamous "f--k off" remark on Trekmovie.com) cost him some capital in Star Trek circles.   It just seems that whenever he opens his mouth, he immediately rams his foot into it...

Agreed completely. This guy is a train wreck.

He's really thin-skinned too.  You'd think that given his success, some of it earned (ST09), some of it not (most everything else), he'd have developed a harder shell by now... 

He's really thin-skinned too.  You'd think that given his success, some of it earned (ST09), some of it not (most everything else), he'd have developed a harder shell by now... 

Not everyone is going to like what you do. He thinks everything he puts to paper is gold and seems to get...cranky when not everyone fawns over it. 

I don't even understand how this buffon has the reins of Trek movies. Like you all said, seems like he just keeps shooting himself in the foot.

Locutus   

I hope Orci has absolutely nothing to do with Star Trek again.  I'd love to hear the real story behind his departure from the Star Trek movie. 

I hope Orci has absolutely nothing to do with Star Trek again.  I'd love to hear the real story behind his departure from the Star Trek movie. 

I could certainly do without plots involving 'magic blood' (Amazing Spiderman 2, Star Trek Into Darkness), or aliens that traverse light years of space to reach Earth and take its gold ("Cowboys and Aliens" was about the dumbest summer movie I've seen in the last six years; second only to "Green Lantern").  

Gold.  Seriously.

If these aliens had the fusion technology to traverse long distances in space?  They should be able to manufacture gold the way we make Skittles.  Stupid.  That whole movie was a huge waste of time; even Jon Favreau's direction and Daniel Craig in a western did nothing for me. 

Roberto Orci is one of those screenwriters who only seems able to make movies based on cliches; nothing he's written that I've seen feels authentic or 'real' in any way.   Star Trek Into Darkness was one of the worst-written ST movies I've seen; every other line is borrowed from TWOK or re-used/shuffled from ST09.   The ridiculous 'cold fusion' device (that is NOT cold fusion, folks), 15-20 minutes wasted on demoting and then repromoting Kirk (another lift from ST09), another Earthbound shuttle hangar scene (also from ST09), a lift of "Godfather III"'s helicopter-conference-attack scene (seriously; if you're going to rip off the Godfather movies, it's not wise to start with the worst of the three),  giant chunks of space hardware falling onto San Francisco (again, just like ST09), the forgotten aliens in the prologue who have a false religion now (thank you very much, frat-boy Kirk), and even a line-for-line rehash of TWOK's death scene; switching Kirk and Spock but using some of the same exact lines (!?!).   Spock even does a rehash of Kirk's infamous "Khaaaan" yell (though Quinto sounds like he's auditioning for a Tarzan movie).  

That movie is less a screenplay and more of a cut-and-paste from better ST movies.

Orci is not a writer; he is a lucky hack.  It's apparent from his movies that he only knows reality FROM movies, and not experience. 

Locutus   

I could certainly do without plots involving 'magic blood' (Amazing Spiderman 2, Star Trek Into Darkness), or aliens that traverse light years of space to reach Earth and take its gold ("Cowboys and Aliens" was about the dumbest summer movie I've seen in the last six years; second only to "Green Lantern").  

Gold.  Seriously.

If these aliens had the fusion technology to traverse long distances in space?  They should be able to manufacture gold the way we make Skittles.  Stupid.  That whole movie was a huge waste of time; even Jon Favreau's direction and Daniel Craig in a western did nothing for me. 

Roberto Orci is one of those screenwriters who only seems able to make movies based on cliches; nothing he's written that I've seen feels authentic or 'real' in any way.   Star Trek Into Darkness was one of the worst-written ST movies I've seen; every other line is borrowed from TWOK or re-used/shuffled from ST09.   The ridiculous 'cold fusion' device (that is NOT cold fusion, folks), 15-20 minutes wasted on demoting and then repromoting Kirk (another lift from ST09), another Earthbound shuttle hangar scene (also from ST09), a lift of "Godfather III"'s helicopter-conference-attack scene (seriously; if you're going to rip off the Godfather movies, it's not wise to start with the worst of the three),  giant chunks of space hardware falling onto San Francisco (again, just like ST09), the forgotten aliens in the prologue who have a false religion now (thank you very much, frat-boy Kirk), and even a line-for-line rehash of TWOK's death scene; switching Kirk and Spock but using some of the same exact lines (!?!).   Spock even does a rehash of Kirk's infamous "Khaaaan" yell (though Quinto sounds like he's auditioning for a Tarzan movie).  

That movie is less a screenplay and more of a cut-and-paste from better ST movies.

Orci is not a writer; he is a lucky hack.  It's apparent from his movies that he only knows reality FROM movies, and not experience. 

Well said!  "Lucky hack" sums up my feelings exactly.

Edited by Locutus

Gold.  Seriously.

Well said!  "Lucky hack" sums up my feelings exactly.

I've yet to see a Roberto Orci movie outside of ST09 that was at all appealing to me; not a fan of the Transformers movies,  couldn't stand Cowboys & Aliens and Amazing Spiderman 2 was so awful and generic words fail.   Honestly?  I would see Orci's name on a movie's credits as a challenge to be overcome, not an asset. 

C&A had a few moments. Even the last Transformer movie had its moments where there could have been a good movie in there if they had massaged those moments and grew them. Even Into Darkness has a few story opportunities. It touches on Kirk's rage clouding his judgement. It touches on jumping the gun in the face of terrorism. It touches on people in power using that power as justification for war. Fleshed out a bit more, it could have stood on its own as a reimagining of Khan as opposed to a cut and paste.

But those moments are all there is because, quite frankly, I think he lacks the talent and insight to do more than just...point in a direction. He thinks those little moments are grand because they're clever for him. He doesn't know how to get more out of them to give them depth.

Edited by prometheus59650

Sign in to follow this