TLOZ Lover

Lt. Boma has passed

I saw on Twitter earlier today that actor Don Marshall who played Mr. Boma on the ST:TOS episode "The Galileo Seven" has passed away at age 80.  I liked his character.  So sad to see anyone from TOS days no longer with us. :(

don-marshall.jpg

don marshall older.jpg

RIP Don Marshall.

He also costarred in Irwin Allen's "Land of the Giants" (where his character, ironically, also copiloted and crash landed a small spaceship on a planet of giant humanoids).

I'd seen him a few times at conventions over the years.  Now I regret not stopping by his table and saying 'hi.'  :(

RIP Don Marshall. I recall him well in both TOS and Land of the Giants. The Galileo Seven remains one of my all-time fave Star Trek episodes - thank you, farewell and godspeed, sir.

RIP Don Marshall. I recall him well in both TOS and Land of the Giants. The Galileo Seven remains one of my all-time fave Star Trek episodes - thank you, farewell and godspeed, sir.

I love "G7" too (it was one of the first episodes I remember seeing in live action; also had the 1970s Bantam "Foto Novel":laugh: ).

galileo.jpg  << In the dim time before home video, these were pretty sweet! :thumbup:

And I'd read a couple months ago in "These Are The Voyages" Vol. 1 (thanks again belatedly for the recommendation, Robin!) that Marshall's "Mr. Boma" was briefly considered for a recurring role after this episode.   I would've loved that.   I think would've been interesting to see the Mr. Boma in weekly situations that weren't so desperate, or very different.   What kind of person is he?  Does he regularly challenge authority, or did he just have a personal issue with Spock's command style?   Does his seemingly hot temper get him into trouble after this episode?

Would've been interesting...  

I love "G7" too (it was one of the first episodes I remember seeing in live action; also had the 1970s Bantam "Foto Novel":laugh: ).

galileo.jpg  << In the dim time before home video, these were pretty sweet! :thumbup:

And I'd read a couple months ago in "These Are The Voyages" Vol. 1 (thanks again belatedly for the recommendation, Robin!) that Marshall's "Mr. Boma" was briefly considered for a recurring role after this episode.   I would've loved that.   I think would've been interesting to see the Mr. Boma in weekly situations that weren't so desperate, or very different.   What kind of person is he?  Does he regularly challenge authority, or did he just have a personal issue with Spock's command style?   Does his seemingly hot temper get him into trouble after this episode?

My pleasure! :) Still yet to read Vol. 3 of that myself. And you know i loved those Fotonovels too. I pored over those as a kid. In a sense, it made those particular episodes even more precious - they became even more nuanced.

It would've been great to have had Boma back. He was definitely a S1 guest who would've made a brilliant recurring character - and not just bouncing off Spock. He had an interesting dynamic with every other member of the Galileo crew.

Boma and Yeoman Barrows from Shore Leave are S1 one episode characters who always stood out to me, in large part because of what the actors brought to them. They just suggested a whole life away from the single stories they appeared in. Which is what a great guest actor brings to a role, I guess.

Here's to Mr. Marshall. Thanks for everything.

Edited by Robin Bland

My pleasure! :) Still yet to read Vol. 3 of that myself. And you know i loved those Fotonovels too. I pored over those as a kid. In a sense, it made those particular episodes even more precious - they became even more nuanced.

It would've been great to have had Boma back. He was definitely a S1 guest who would've made a brilliant recurring character - and not just bouncing off Spock. He had an interesting dynamic with every other member of the Galileo crew.

Boma and Yeoman Barrows from Shore Leave are S1 one episode characters who always stood out to me, in large part because of what the actors brought to them. They just suggested a whole life away from the single stories they appeared in. Which is what a great guest actor brings to a role, I guess.

Well said.

And the TATV books are fascinating in their meticulous research; when I met Marc Cushman in Vegas, he took some (deserved) pride in his exhaustive research and after finishing Vol. 1 (and starting Vol. 2), I can't say I blame him for tooting his own horn a bit.   His research even extends to the episodes that were airing on television at the time an episode was entering production (!), the Nielsen ratings for each, and other bits of numerical data that really round it all out for me.    These books, more than most other ST production books, really give one a sense of the time in which these were made.

And yes, Boma and Barrows were interesting characters who could've easily yielded further development.   We saw Angela Martine ("Balance Of Terror"'s would-be bride) return in "Shore Leave" and as the court reporter in "Turnabout Intruder."  Mr. DeSalle appeared in two episodes but essentially disappeared after "Catspaw."  Eddie Paskey's "Mr Leslie" even died and came back (LOL!).   But of all the 'little people' (as Q would say), I really wish we got more of Boma.    Since he was a physicist, maybe he could've helped Spock with the time-warp calculations in "Tomorrow is Yesterday", and we might've seen them clash over their approaches.   If nothing else, it could've made for more dramatic interplay.  Given his dramatic and memorable turn in G7, it's possible he might've stolen a bit of thunder from the series' regulars (not sure they would've appreciated that either... hehe).

As for the fotonovels?  Yes, I know you enjoyed them as I did (it's a generational thing); they were the first 'tangible' means of collecting a whole ST episode (or 12) in the days before VHS, Beta, Laserdisc, DVD and blu rays.   You could hold an episode in your hands (!).  Take it to school and read during a boring class, etc.   They were great! 

Well said.

And the TATV books are fascinating in their meticulous research; when I met Marc Cushman in Vegas, he took some (deserved) pride in his exhaustive research and after finishing Vol. 1 (and starting Vol. 2), I can't say I blame him for tooting his own horn a bit.   His research even extends to the episodes that were airing on television at the time an episode was entering production (!), the Nielsen ratings for each, and other bits of numerical data that really round it all out for me.    These books, more than most other ST production books, really give one a sense of the time in which these were made.

And yes, Boma and Barrows were interesting characters who could've easily yielded further development.   We saw Angela Martine ("Balance Of Terror"'s would-be bride) return in "Shore Leave" and as the court reporter in "Turnabout Intruder."  Mr. DeSalle appeared in two episodes but essentially disappeared after "Catspaw."  Eddie Paskey's "Mr Leslie" even died and came back (LOL!).   But of all the 'little people' (as Q would say), I really wish we got more of Boma.    Since he was a physicist, maybe he could've helped Spock with the time-warp calculations in "Tomorrow is Yesterday", and we might've seen them clash over their approaches.   If nothing else, it could've made for more dramatic interplay.  Given his dramatic and memorable turn in G7, it's possible he might've stolen a bit of thunder from the series' regulars (not sure they would've appreciated that either... hehe).

As for the fotonovels?  Yes, I know you enjoyed them as I did (it's a generational thing); they were the first 'tangible' means of collecting a whole ST episode (or 12) in the days before VHS, Beta, Laserdisc, DVD and blu rays.   You could hold an episode in your hands (!).  Take it to school and read during a boring class, etc.   They were great! 

The Star Trek fotonovels are fantastic!  I purchased all (or at least most) of them when they came out in the 70s.  Wish they could have made one for each of the 79 TOS episodes!  

Re: Marc Cushman's TATV books, I quote several times from his Season 3 volume in my blog and have been in contact with him via e-mail several times, including yesterday.  He has produced a 3-volume biography of Irwin Allen's "Lost in Space" (Vol. 1 is out now, 2 & 3 to be released very shortly) as well as a fourth volume of TATV "which covers all that happened between the cancellation of TOS and Roddenberry signing contracts to produce ST:NG".  He says this volume is due out next July.  Looking forward to that!

Well said.

The Star Trek fotonovels are fantastic!  I purchased all (or at least most) of them when they came out in the 70s.  Wish they could have made one for each of the 79 TOS episodes!  

Re: Marc Cushman's TATV books, I quote several times from his Season 3 volume in my blog and have been in contact with him via e-mail several times, including yesterday.  He has produced a 3-volume biography of Irwin Allen's "Lost in Space" (Vol. 1 is out now, 2 & 3 to be released very shortly) as well as a fourth volume of TATV "which covers all that happened between the cancellation of TOS and Roddenberry signing contracts to produce ST:NG".  He says this volume is due out next July.  Looking forward to that!

^
Thanks for that info, TLOZ!

Something to look forward to... :thumbup:

There are so many great TOS legends that are passing and I regret, more and more, not getting a chance to meet the people that made a franchise I love so much.

May he RIP.