Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Grand Nagus

Post Trek Depression

6 posts in this topic

Since it had been a couple of years and my fading memory was due a refresh, I recently decided to take another glorious ride on the great piece of utopian fiction that we have all come to love and know as DS9. Needless to say, I was not disappointed. After many days of getting invested laughing, mourning hoping and finally rejoicing in a magnificent journeys conclusion with some of my favorite characters again. I find myself in the much dreaded melancholy of the post series aftermath. Though thankful for the last episode's legitimate and at least partially successful endeavor to provide me with some much needed closure, I am still longing for more. It seems like having to bid my farewell to dear friends that I will never see again (or at least not beyond this point) and I find myself missing people that I have not only not met, but that have actually not even existed in the first place.

I knew full well when watching the first episode that this day would come and I also know that the feeling will subside again in a little while especially when keeping busy as I  tend to do, it nevertheless still surprises me how powerful an emotional response these series (be it DS9, Voyager or a different one) are capable of provoking. I suppose that is a testament to the high standard in writing and passionate acting I dare attesting the franchise.

No need to stop now.

You can read the DS9 relaunch novels, which continue the series. They're generally really good.

Since it had been a couple of years and my fading memory was due a refresh, I recently decided to take another glorious ride on the great piece of utopian fiction that we have all come to love and know as DS9. Needless to say, I was not disappointed. After many days of getting invested laughing, mourning hoping and finally rejoicing in a magnificent journeys conclusion with some of my favorite characters again. I find myself in the much dreaded melancholy of the post series aftermath. Though thankful for the last episode's legitimate and at least partially successful endeavor to provide me with some much needed closure, I am still longing for more. It seems like having to bid my farewell to dear friends that I will never see again (or at least not beyond this point) and I find myself missing people that I have not only not met, but that have actually not even existed in the first place.

I knew full well when watching the first episode that this day would come and I also know that the feeling will subside again in a little while especially when keeping busy as I  tend to do, it nevertheless still surprises me how powerful an emotional response these series (be it DS9, Voyager or a different one) are capable of provoking. I suppose that is a testament to the high standard in writing and passionate acting I dare attesting the franchise.

^
First welcome aboard, Grand Negus.  

Post often and prosper. 

I think you'll find a lot of Niners here as well (myself included; it's my favorite of the 1987-2005-era Star Treks).

No need to stop now.

You can read the DS9 relaunch novels, which continue the series. They're generally really good.

The current Trek novel universe is consistent thanks to great editors like Marco Palmieri who were basically show-runners and set-up the basics, with great original characters and an ongoing story that took interesting risks and didn't hesitate to profoundly reshape the world we got used to. Of all, the DS9 relauch remains my favourite, and the characters it (re)introduced are great, fascinating and worth delving into. That said, it can feel a little overwhelming at times as you have the impression you might need to read a lot of books to make sense of some stuff in one (or, alternatively, refer to Memory Beta). And as Sim says, they are generally good, but there's a few shitty ones in there.

For example, I just finished Disavowed, and if most threads were interesting and useful, there was one with two spies which was totally useless. I assume they'll be reintroduced in a later novel, but it still felt like page-filling.

I'm now in the middle of Force and Motion, which is the latest DS9 relaunch and if it's not bad, I decided to stop for now and focus on a a treeplanting "memoir" whose writer seems to have experienced the same things and visited the same places I did in her career. So, basically, I've decided to take the self-congratulatory road and read about what I've experienced instead...:D

Edited by Tupperfan

Disavowed was okay, although I question why Bashir helps the mirror universe when what they were doing was arguably worse than Section 31, stealing tech from other timelines. I think he let his hate of Section 31 blind him to the motives of the mirror universe heavies. There were some good parts though, I think David Mack is in the top tier of Trek novel writers.

Well said. I feel very similar. Sadly, the books don't do it for me. All I can hope for now is DS9 on blu ray. :)