Sign in to follow this  
GustavoLeao

JJ Abrams Video INterview on BEYOND

JJ Abrams Praises STAR TREK BEYOND In New Video Interview

Abrams: Well, Star Wars and Star Trek are different, very different, series. I know a lot of people like to try to compare them to one another, but I don’t think that’s something you can really do.

So, for people who aren’t already fans of Star Trek, I’d say this: Star Trek Beyond is a great entry point to the franchise. The portrayal of the characters and outer space environments are all well-done. The characters are relatable, and the action is great too.

Movies of such a large scale don’t come around very often. You could say this is the first. So because of that, I think Star Trek Beyond is really a great entry point. Justin Lin has done a fantastic job as director.

Edited by GustavoLeao

Abrams: Well, Star Wars and Star Trek are different, very different, series. I know a lot of people like to try to compare them to one another, but I don’t think that’s something you can really do.

So, for people who aren’t already fans of Star Trek, I’d say this: Star Trek Beyond is a great entry point to the franchise. The portrayal of the characters and outer space environments are all well-done. The characters are relatable, and the action is great too.

Movies of such a large scale don’t come around very often. You could say this is the first. So because of that, I think Star Trek Beyond is really a great entry point. Justin Lin has done a fantastic job as director.

I agree with Abrams.  In fact, I'd go so far as to say STB is my favorite of the Bad Robot ST movies. 

Counting down to Nov. 1st.  :thumbup:

Locutus   

I agree with Abrams.  In fact, I'd go so far as to say STB is my favorite of the Bad Robot ST movies. 

Me too.  Can't wait to check out this movie again on Blu-ray come November.

Interestingly, I went to the local second run theater a few weeks ago to see a movie, and the Star Trek Beyond show was "sold out."  I know that's not much evidence, but I felt kinda proud that it was sold out.  People will come to appreciate the movie even more over time.

Me too.  Can't wait to check out this movie again on Blu-ray come November.

Interestingly, I went to the local second run theater a few weeks ago to see a movie, and the Star Trek Beyond show was "sold out."  I know that's not much evidence, but I felt kinda proud that it was sold out.  People will come to appreciate the movie even more over time.

We went to an IMAX showing about a month ago (the week of TOS' 50th anniversary) and it was fairly packed for a Sunday morning.  I'd be curious what the final tally on the worldwide grosses are, now that the movie finally (!) made it to Japan.  

BEYOND bombed badly in Brazil.

But it did well in China and now its finally hitting Japan.

And I think that, as you said, much of that bad Brazilian box office was due to the pirating that happened precisely because of the wildly staggered release schedule.  If they'd opened with a near-simultaneous release, I think the box office would've been considerably improved.  

Exactly. I told ya thats gonna happen because of the Latin America piracy.

Gus

And I agreed.  

It's a shame, but all of that could've been avoided if Paramount hadn't decided to screw with the international release dates.  Why they did that still makes NO sense to me, whatsoever. 

kenman   

And yet it still may be well liked as time goes on. I do think this one will be more well liked by the fans as it ages. 

And yet it still may be well liked as time goes on. I do think this one will be more well liked by the fans as it ages. 

It wouldn't be the first time a movie was a modest hit (or flop) in theatres and went on to become much admired later on ("Blade Runner" "Brazil" "Wizard of Oz" etc). 

"Star Trek V" for example LOL

And "Superman IV The Quest for Peace" is looking better and better in th Snyderverse era. I miss Chris Reeve, a lot. Glad that "Supergirl" got Superman right.

MPW-16494

Gus

"Star Trek V" for example LOL

And "Superman IV The Quest for Peace" is looking better and better in th Snyderverse era. I miss Chris Reeve, a lot. Glad that "Supergirl" got Superman right.

MPW-16494

Gus

^
No, Superman IV is still awful Gus... 
:P

Sign in to follow this