Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GustavoLeao

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL. 2

65 posts in this topic

40 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

They got my $2.50, so that's, you know, probably half of the CGI budget. That's something.

You enabler... :laugh:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the entire budget of "FF: The Reboot" was a week's salary for Chris Pratt's on-set assistant stylist. 

[Spoilers]

So, I saw this yesterday. It does what you expect it will. It's huge fun, although there's a lot of death. Loads of death! Of bad guys, of course, but man, they die pretty horribly in some cases - it becomes a carnival of death. But it's really cartoony so... that's okay. I think. Actually, it sort of bothers me, especially as one of the guys who perpetrates all that death is actually a hero by story's end. I liked that he was sort of "grey" before, but now he's definitely a hero. This seems like a slightly basic mixing of signals to me. But again, we're supposed to think it's okay because all the people he kills are evil. 

There's also so much fast-moving CGI, sometimes I didn't know what was going on. This is especially true at the climax, but even the first space battle is so crazy if you blink you miss something. Sometimes - and this was a criticism I had of Vol. 1 - I just wished they could've slowed this down slightly. You begin to see how perfectly paced and composed both recent Star Wars films - you comprehend everything that's happening, no matter how vast the scale. Here, half the time, I wished Gunn had dialed back slightly on all the fireworks he was throwing at the screen and just concentrated on the visual storytelling a little more. 

As both Mrs Bland and Bairn Bland were accompanying me, I was interested to see their reactions. Mrs Bland really loved Baby Groot but didn't feel terribly invested in any of the other characters, although Karen Gillian's Nebula was remarked upon as "good." She thought Mantis was a bit of a stereotype and wished that had been handled slightly differently. She was wowed by young Kurt Russell. Bairn Bland was freaked out by the whole concept of Ego the Living Planet but basically loved the whole thing. Job done, I guess. She's on a sleepover now, but I'm sure she'll have more comments later (she usually does). 

The use of great songs seemed less woven in as impeccably as first time around, although George Harrison's My Sweet Lord was perfect and amusingly ironic. 

It made me laugh really hard in places. It looks incredible when you get a chance to actually linger on the mind-blowing production design. Kurt Russell is an awesome baddie. Everyone else gets to take their character arcs forward slightly, but I guess we're not really here for that, and hell, I didn't mind. I really liked Rocket's admission of his own flaws - he gets some of the best dramatic moments in the movie. I think he's my favorite, now. 

Saw "Guardians of the Galaxy 2" (2017) this morning. 

******** MAJOR SPOILERS!!!! *******

guardians-of-the-galaxy.jpg

I had a decidedly mixed experience; the movie itself wasn't bad, but my experience was just dreadful.

There was a kid behind us who had some kind of spastic tic and couldn't stop kicking our seats.  I shot him (and his dad) angry glares a few times, but stopped after I realized the kid wasn't entirely in control.  I was tempted to move, but the theatre was full, and we had optimal seats (dead center, middle; with footrest bars).   Ugh... I don't mean to be cruel, but his parents shouldn't have consciously chosen to ruin other patrons' experience just so their child can pretend to have a good time.   Every time a slower scene came along?  Kick...kick...kick.   It was maddening.  Next time, I'm going to a local theatre with assigned seating; yes, the screens are smaller, but they have large, spacious aisles between the seat rows.   At this point?  It's worth it. 

And since that apparently wasn't bad enough, the woman right next to me (in a darkened IMAX theatre) got into a prolonged texting conversation that was sufficiently distracting as to annoy the utter hell out of me.   White screens in a darkened theatre DON'T mix.   The reflections off her phone screen shone right into my 3D glass lenses.   I mean seriously,  WTF, people?  You paid as much to see this as I did.

Regarding the actual film, I thought it had a lagging middle section and was very, very predictable.  I was also a bit tired (bored?) by the overlong, CGI-FX stuffed ending; it was, like most other superhero movies these days; just lots of pixels and noise, but little logic.   It was (as Robin noted above) somewhat difficult to see clearly what was going on (my wife didn't seem to have this problem, so I'm starting to wonder if it was just my eyes [?], I dunno).  It might've been that I was having such a s#!tty time having my seat kicked that I was just waiting for it to be over with...

Anyway, Kurt Russell was solid as the villain/dad/planet-guy Ego (seriously, that name was a ridiculous tipoff to those who didn't see his villainy properly telegraphed from 700 light years away... he might as well have been named "Smarmy McDangerous, with extra Villainy sauce").   But... he played it very well.   Kudos to Russell; who was similarly excellent (though very different) in 2007's "Grindhouse: Death Proof" (which I loved, BTW).

Sylvester Stallone's appearance kinda popped me out of the movie a bit; he was just too "Rocky/Rambo" for me to accept him in this movie; his character was so stilted he might as well have been playing an action figure.  Similarly distracting was the David Hasselhoff cameo; which felt a bit too over-the-top and comedic for the dramatic moment in which it was inserted.   I didn't have too much issue with the admittedly gratuitous violence (it WAS over the top), but all those hundreds of people who died in spaceships at the climax of the first film were just as dead as those killed by Yondu's arrow.  Yes, the latter was a tad more graphic but dead is still dead in my book...

On the plus side, the characters really became a family in this movie, and not just a team.   Drax, Rocket, and Baby Groot were all terrific.   Drax drew my biggest laughs; high fives and major props to Dave Bautista!   I thought Peter and Gamora's relationship would be further along by now (it seemed to have taken a retrograde step between movies), but I liked that Gamora & Nebula got the whole rivalry/hatred thing out of their systems.    Nebula is one HELL of a bad shot, by the way (:laugh:).   Loved the scenes between Drax and Mantis (even if her geisha cliche was a bit thick).  Yes, their scenes slowed things down a bit, but they were worth it.    Also loved the bond between Yondu and Rocket; that was genuinely great stuff.   Together, they created some of my favorite scenes in the movie.

Kismet and the golden, 'perfect' people reminded me of '70s Dr. Who villains; and I don't necessarily mean that as a nit, either.   One of the few real surprises in the film was when Kismet giggled at the mention of Taserface's name; it felt truly spontaneous.  That was cute. :giggle:

But overall my issues with the movie were relatively minor compared to those I had with the rude, inattentive audience.    I'd like to see it again with a clearer, less distracted mindset, but I think I'll wait for the blu ray or DVD; less chance of kicked seat that way... :dontgetit:

56 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Next time, I'm going to a local theatre with assigned seating;

Assigned seating is worth pretty much any price. For a major release that's guaranteed a crowd? I can't go back to first come, first sit. 

7 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

Assigned seating is worth pretty much any price. For a major release that's guaranteed a crowd? I can't go back to first come, first sit. 

There is one theatre in our preferred movie house with a good sized screen and assigned seating, but it's only ONE theatre; and it didn't offer IMAX or 3D (both of which I would gladly forsake at this point to never repeat yesterday's ruinous experience; especially since I'm not really big on 3D anyway).

2 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

There is one theatre in our preferred movie house with a good sized screen and assigned seating, but it's only ONE theatre; and it didn't offer IMAX or 3D (both of which I would gladly forsake at this point to never repeat yesterday's ruinous experience; especially since I'm not really big on 3D anyway).

Avatar was honestly the only film I've ever seen that I can say benefited from it.

7 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

Avatar was honestly the only film I've ever seen that I can say benefited from it.

I would actually say that Ridley Scott's "Prometheus" benefitted as well.  I saw it both ways, and the 3D version had a greater sense of immersion.  But usually?  It just looks kind of cheap and View Master-ish; especially in action movies.   Looks more like overlapping flat planes of view, rather than actual depth.    Star Trek Beyond looked much better without it, for example.

At any rate, it's a feature that I can (in most cases) easily do without. 

Well if someone kicking your seat ruined the experience, it did not technically ruin the movie, ergo it was not the movie that was ruined. Perhaps you would be better with assigned lounger seating where they can;t kick your seat, Also 3D is a headache, so I will skip those. 

I saw the movie on Friday at an XD arranged seating lounger theater, kind of like mid range Imax, but it was just fine.

It was a lot of fun. I rather liked it an plan to see it again. They were trying so hard to not ri off Empire they ended up kind of ripping on Indiana Jones 3, if Daddy was actually a bad guy (spoiler). Although really Yondu's blue character pointed out 'He might be your Father, but he sure ain't your Daddy." In the comics, Ego is not Star Lord's Dad. It's some King dude.

Stallone was an homage in this to the original Guardians comics prior to the 1990s reboot, of which this Star Lord is from, the 1990s reboot.

Actually Ego started out as a Thor comics villain.

I was more okaty with the fantasy killing in this movie than I was the fantasy killing in Man of Steel, where they were angrier about it. I try not to overthink the moral and ethical quandaries when I am seeing a talking raccoon 'parent' asking a baby tree creature that doesn't get it to run the bomb into the planet chamber. How dreadful, if you think of it.

Also Ego's reason for being both sadly in love and grief and psychotic in making things happen to Star Lord's mother is confusing.

But all in all, the movie is just fine, up there with the last one.

14 minutes ago, Chimera82405 said:

Also Ego's reason for being both sadly in love and grief and psychotic in making things happen to Star Lord's mother is confusing.

He says he loved her, but she was distraction from his pupose, so she had to die.

21 minutes ago, Chimera82405 said:

Well if someone kicking your seat ruined the experience, it did not technically ruin the movie, ergo it was not the movie that was ruined.

This is needlessly nitpicky.

Saw it in 3D today. 4 people in the theater. No kid kicking my chair! That's kinda the bad part of movie going: you want that communal experience but not be annoyed. 

Anyhoo, loved the movie. They have so much fun with these. I like that they don't take themselves too seriously but they are capable of delivering heartfelt dramatic moments on a dime. The friendship between Yondu and Rocket was unexpected but I loved their scenes. 

I'm in agreement about Sly Stallone 'interrupting' the movie. The character, or at least the little we saw of it, reminded me of his take on Judge Dredd. I half expected Rob Schneider to pop out. I wished they would have cast someone else. However, if the idea is for that group to be somewhat in the periphery then fine by me. 

I'm a Kurt Russell fan so it was great to see him. I thought they did a great job making him look younger. It didn't look as weird as Prof X in Wolverine. 

12 hours ago, Chimera82405 said:

Well if someone kicking your seat ruined the experience, it did not technically ruin the movie, ergo it was not the movie that was ruined.

My experience... my rules.  ;)

For example, if someone drops a major spoiler about a movie before the ending?  It ruins the movie for the person within ear shot.  Yes, it ruins the movie... because movies are a subjective experience.   When "Carrie" unleashed her telekinetic powers during her senior prom and killed half her class?   I'm sure the punch and appetizers still tasted pretty good but I'm also sure that prom was pretty much ruined for everyone who attended. ;)

9 hours ago, Nombrecomun said:

Saw it in 3D today. 4 people in the theater. No kid kicking my chair! That's kinda the bad part of movie going: you want that communal experience but not be annoyed. 

Anyhoo, loved the movie. They have so much fun with these. I like that they don't take themselves too seriously but they are capable of delivering heartfelt dramatic moments on a dime. The friendship between Yondu and Rocket was unexpected but I loved their scenes. 

I'm in agreement about Sly Stallone 'interrupting' the movie. The character, or at least the little we saw of it, reminded me of his take on Judge Dredd. I half expected Rob Schneider to pop out. I wished they would have cast someone else. However, if the idea is for that group to be somewhat in the periphery then fine by me. 

I'm a Kurt Russell fan so it was great to see him. I thought they did a great job making him look younger. It didn't look as weird as Prof X in Wolverine. 

I would like to re-watch it, but given my wretched experience last time (which I blogged about, as catharsis of a sort...) has made me a mite skittish about going to that same theatre.  I think I might go to the smaller, reserved seating theatre when the crowd dies down (and on a bargain matinee) to try again...

2 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

My experience... my rules.  ;)

For example, if someone drops a major spoiler about a movie before the ending?  It ruins the movie for the person within ear shot.  Yes, it ruins the movie... because movies are a subjective experience.   When "Carrie" unleashed her telekinetic powers during her senior prom and killed half her class?   I'm sure the punch and appetizers still tasted pretty good but I'm also sure that prom was pretty much ruined for everyone who attended. ;)

I would like to re-watch it, but given my wretched experience last time (which I blogged about, as catharsis of a sort...) has made me a mite skittish about going to that same theatre.  I think I might go to the smaller, reserved seating theatre when the crowd dies down (and on a bargain matinee) to try again...

Sorry you couldn't enjoy the movie. That does suck. It's a good movie. Catch it again next week. Hope it goes better. 

Just now, Nombrecomun said:

Sorry you couldn't enjoy the movie. That does suck. It's a good movie. Catch it again next week. Hope it goes better. 

Thanks! 

And that's my point; I'm sure it was a good movie, but it was obscured by the 'bad filter' of circumstances in which we saw it.   There were some GREAT character moments (particularly between Rocket and Yondu) that I'm sure I would've enjoyed a lot more under better conditions.   I will also say that the story was better than the first movie as well; rather than just having to steal some Cosmic McGuffin, the Guardians were actually in a story that had personal relevance to the main character.  

Even through the haze of having a s#!tty time I could see that... :laugh:

*Spoilers!*

I would concede this is probably critically the superior film, but I just can never stand the "everything is perfect... too perfect" plotline, no matter how well-done it is, because it always leaves me feeling less of one character or another's intelligence, and furthermore, it also tends to leave a feeling of waiting for the moment they finally realize what's up. It seems terribly often, it's the woman (Lei- Gamora) who is advising the guy (Ha- er, Peter) that something's wrong, and usually someone (C-3- Mantis) comes close to letting them know the truth in a moment that's just too terribly obvious to the audience...and the other nitpick sinking in here is that once you discover Ego is a villain, there's an 'evil switch' and you see almost none of the idealism or sympathy you'd seen before, as if the character's dimensions had more to do with Ego's acting than Russell's. I rather wish they had kept the idealistic side, and had Peter refuting him verbally as well as killing him.

My only nitpick with Rocket and Yondu, completely forgivably, is that it struck me a little odd to elevate Yondu's relationship with Peter while having him kill all of his other Ravager comrades pretty casually. There's an explanation - they'd already killed most of the ones who liked him in the first place, so what was left was strictly mutineers - and it was a visually dazzling scene, so it actually didn't bother me per se, but it did feel a hair off. Yondu stole the show for a second film in a row, and that was the point, and he got one of the best and most finalized deaths the series has offered, even if the line was just a bit on the nose for me. The Mary Poppins bit was hilarious. Rooker really sells a character that probably sounded like a nightmare in marketing meetings and should've been a disaster by conventional wisdom.

As a further note, I loved the Sovereign and Ayesha, and I... sympathized with her a lot. I wish they had set up Rocket stealing the batteries a little more specifically - we really don't see them being THAT rude. I think just having her say something dismissive/rude about him during her exchange with them would've done a LOT of good to justify Rocket's behavior, and as we see in the Trashpanda joke, he has buttons the other Guardians don't. As it was, it almost felt more like Rocket contrived his own reason to steal for stealing's sake, which is fully in line with the character, but lead to me feeling bad for Ayesha instead.

The post-credits stuff was all fun as usual, although if you'd taken my bets beforehand, I would've bet Adam Warlock, Grandmaster for Thor Ragnarok, another look at Thanos, and another Howard the Duck cameo. I was right about one and a half of those. Seeing the original Guardians was pretty cool but I ever so slightly wish the shot could've somehow included Yondu, and if they get a film or play a role in a sequel, I'd hope to see Rooker alongside them in a flashback. Howard the Duck cameos in the main movie but I still nearly missed it! Where's his movie? :P

I sound critical as hell, but it's only because a lot of the hype said it was the best Marvel film yet, which set the movie up for my more critical eye. I actually really liked it, believe it or not.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0