Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GustavoLeao

Rolling Stones Readers' Poll on Trek Movies

11 posts in this topic

Interesting analysis, not too far from my own very subjective list.  Still, I don't get the bashing of "The Motion Picture".  Yes, it is slow but there is an elegance in the slowness that perhaps can't appeal to a hyper-speed post MTV generation.  Perhaps age has its benefits.

Totally agree. And they left STAR TREK V out of the list ??? BARF !

Oh my.

Gus

Funny, that's what i think when I think of TFF. Barf :P 

I kid.

Interesting analysis, not too far from my own very subjective list.  Still, I don't get the bashing of "The Motion Picture".  Yes, it is slow but there is an elegance in the slowness that perhaps can't appeal to a hyper-speed post MTV generation.  Perhaps age has its benefits.

I like it more as I've matured, but the original theatrical kind of deserves its bashing. The subsequent edit that now I'll wager that most people think of when they think of it improved it a LOT.

Funny, that's what i think when I think of TFF. Barf :P 

I kid.

I like it more as I've matured, but the original theatrical kind of deserves its bashing. The subsequent edit that now I'll wager that most people think of when they think of it improved it a LOT.

I wish they'd release that edit on blu-ray, but I guess they'd have to re-do the new FX. Although I'd just take those upscaled as long as the rest of the movie was HD.

Thought it was a pretty good list - RS readers have good taste! Nice to see TSFS get a little love.

The effects in the final Wise cut were rendered in 480p. Trying to upscale them would look pretty terrible. That said, I mean, we're not talking about redoing more than a few minutes of film, so it's not exactly cost prohibitive to redo it. Paramount just has to have the will, and that will is going to depend upon the true adoption of 4K.

I still hold out hope that that HD shame is still going to get me some DS9-HD.

And, yes, TSFS is a perfectly solid movie. It's just sandwiched between the two best so it gets lost.

My favorite version of STAR TREK THE MOTION PICTURE is the Special TV Longer version, available on VHS and LD, which I have transfered to DVD-R.

Here is some pics from my STAR TREK LD collection, including the Special Longer Version of STAR TREK THE MOTION PICTURE and the Directors Edition version of STAR TREK IV THE VOYAGE HOME, never released on DVD. Good nite, boa noite !

14590330_10154164740708585_5685877881471

14717309_10210960722633236_5541379495517

Gus

Edited by GustavoLeao

A decent list!

It's not too far away from my list, save for a few exceptions (I'd put TUC higher, drop TMP a couple of spots, maybe even take STID off the list, maybe move TSFS up a little). But this one makes a lot of sense, too.

I'm going to try to stay away from opining too much about these kinds of polls/lists; they'll just never reflect the movies as I see them, and that's cool, so I'll just accept it as nothing more than another opinion or collection of opinions.  The only ranking that truly matters to me is my own.  :P

I'm going to try to stay away from opining too much about these kinds of polls/lists; they'll just never reflect the movies as I see them, and that's cool, so I'll just accept it as nothing more than another opinion or collection of opinions.  The only ranking that truly matters to me is my own.  :P

Hey, at least there's no Nemesis or Insurrection on the list. :P

Hey, at least there's no Nemesis or Insurrection on the list. :P

Yes, but Into Darkness is still there.  :laugh:

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0