GustavoLeao

Kirk Takes Commad of USS Endeavour - Kelvin Timeline

11 posts in this topic

IDW’s new ongoing Star Trek comic might be set after the events of Star Trek Beyond, but for now, it seems like it’s not about the voyages of the Starship Enterprise. Kirk and his crew have been separated, and have gone their separate ways—and Kirk himself is in charge of an entirely different ship. Check it out in the preview!

14705701_10210944134538544_4795928308933

14680498_10210944141458717_7289424363192

14572993_10210944144058782_2662973533671

14681781_10210944145498818_3927947867011

STAR TREK TO BOLDLY GO will be onsa le this week !

Edited by GustavoLeao

I know this is nitpicking (hey, it's what we DO here, right?) but shouldn't there have been a court-martial following the loss of the Enterprise?  I seem to remember Phillipa Lavoie (in TNG's "Measure of a Man") mentioning that a court-martial is "standard procedure when a ship is lost."   Maybe that regulation didn't exist in the 23rd century?  Or maybe there were extenuating circumstances (like Kirk and his crew using the USS Franklin to save Starbase and arguably the Alpha quadrant), but still, just a nitpick...:P

Are the comic book staff people not aware of the film ending where they got another ship? This reminds me of the Star Trek run between Star Trek III and IV where the comics put them on Excelsior. :)

Are the comic book staff people not aware of the film ending where they got another ship? This reminds me of the Star Trek run between Star Trek III and IV where the comics put them on Excelsior. :)

There was no time stamp between Kirk's birthday and the time-lapse scene of the assembly/launch of the new Ent-A.   It could've been 18 months or a year (or more); who knows?   

There was no time stamp between Kirk's birthday and the time-lapse scene of the assembly/launch of the new Ent-A.   It could've been 18 months or a year (or more); who knows?   

This.

They didn't time-lapse the A's construction for nothing. Significant time passed. Kirk wouldn't have wanted a desk in that time and, given the fact that he saved a few million lives, they wouldn't have forced one on him.  

The comic books are not official, but it's cool they fill in some of the gaps.

The comic books are not official, but it's cool they fill in some of the gaps.

According to the team behind them, I believe the IDW books are canon; at least they were according to Roberto Orci.

Yep, Orci said the IDW comic books were considered canon by Bad Robot annd Paramount.

But this was like 7 years ago.

Gus

Yep, Orci said the IDW comic books were considered canon by Bad Robot annd Paramount.

But this was like 7 years ago.

Gus

Unless IDW or Paramount has said otherwise since then, I'm assuming that is still their position.  

Well, I bought my copy of it today from one of the comic book stores close to me.

What I did like was the USS Endeavour. For those who don't know yet and don't have a keen eye, the design suggests it's an Aegis-class starship, which the prototype, USS Aegis, is what you fly in the upcoming (and unfortunately delayed) VR game "Star Trek: Bridge Crew." It's a cooler ship than the original JJ Enterprise, that much is certain, and most likely on par with the Enterprise-A seen at the end of Beyond. Another plus was Kirk's female Romulan first officer. The Kelvin Timeline has had its problem with gender roles, although they have been rectified a good deal with Beyond big time, and nice that they gave her some pants instead of one of those goofy cocktail dresses, if you get the gist! It's also nice to see New Vulcan, and that it's some small city in the middle of a mostly barren planet and not some sprawling metropolis. I also liked the lampshading that the cadets do of Scotty, commenting about how the Enterprise got nearly trashed in ST:ID and ultimately in ST:B. Yeah, they do have their points there!

Carefully excluded is Chekov (because of the Anton Yelchin tragedy).

It's a nice touch for Spock to return to New Vulcan. I'm still on the fence about his relationship with Uhura, but it's not as bad as I thought it would be.

I do have a minor qualm with the USS Concord's registry number, which was NCC-6871 - a bit too high for that era. NCC-0871 would be a bit more plausible, in my opinion. And the fact that Sulu is already a first officer. What's going to happen come Beyond's sequel? Will he go back to being a lieutenant or what? And it was a nice touch to include a younger Clark Terrell (the ill-fated captain of the USS Reliant from TWOK) here.

But the twist at the end - I'll still buy the others, but SERIOUSLY?! As with their choice - do they really need to go banging around that stuff AGAIN?!